New York Jets: 4-step plan to improve in 2022

Bronx

3 hours ago, jamesr said:

Formatting aside ... that article really is quite dreadful IMHO.

I agree with the intent in most cases, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. 

TE - "roll with in house options and sign Gesicki". Our in house options are dreadful - Griffin is maybe a useful #3, rest are awful. We need to sign a FA AND spend a high-ish draft pick on a TE this year; and Gesicki may be a good talent but I'm not sure he fits what we want at TE as he is not an in-line blocker at all. 

WR - "bring in Calvin Ridley as our #1 WR". A guy who sat out on the previous team who he was a #1 WR for? Not a guy I would be trying to rely on to help my young QB develop, not in any way.

LB - "sign Anthony Barr". "Barr can hold his own in coverage and the occasional blitz" - one of the weakest endorsements I've read for a FA in quite a while.

DB - "draft a S and a CB in Round 1". I actually wouldn't be adverse to drafting Hamilton Rd 1 - depending on who else is / isn't available - but to also draft a CB because the position is "a wasteland"??? By all means add another guy to compete with the current players, but to bring in a high draft pick and essentially hand him a starting position would go against everything that has been said about team culture and players earning their spots. Our CBs acquitted themselves admirably in 2021, and don't deserve an outright demotion.

And ... no change to our anemic pass rush other than relying on Lawson to come back 100% healthy and effective after a major injury? 

your last sentence made me think of Cam Akers last night.

Can't say I have ever seen someone come back from a torn achilles in 7-8 months and play as effectively as he did. Simply remarkable when typically it is a full year and then another year of play until you are at or close to 100%. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, jamesr said:

Formatting aside ... that article really is quite dreadful IMHO.

I agree with the intent in most cases, but the execution leaves a lot to be desired. 

TE - "roll with in house options and sign Gesicki". Our in house options are dreadful - Griffin is maybe a useful #3, rest are awful. We need to sign a FA AND spend a high-ish draft pick on a TE this year; and Gesicki may be a good talent but I'm not sure he fits what we want at TE as he is not an in-line blocker at all. 

WR - "bring in Calvin Ridley as our #1 WR". A guy who sat out on the previous team who he was a #1 WR for? Not a guy I would be trying to rely on to help my young QB develop, not in any way.

LB - "sign Anthony Barr". "Barr can hold his own in coverage and the occasional blitz" - one of the weakest endorsements I've read for a FA in quite a while.

DB - "draft a S and a CB in Round 1". I actually wouldn't be adverse to drafting Hamilton Rd 1 - depending on who else is / isn't available - but to also draft a CB because the position is "a wasteland"??? By all means add another guy to compete with the current players, but to bring in a high draft pick and essentially hand him a starting position would go against everything that has been said about team culture and players earning their spots. Our CBs acquitted themselves admirably in 2021, and don't deserve an outright demotion.

And ... no change to our anemic pass rush other than relying on Lawson to come back 100% healthy and effective after a major injury? 

Thank you for this accurate assessment. I wish these guys would do some freaking research before writing an article like this. We are not signing Gesicki. He cant block, and doesnt fit our system.

Totally agree with you on Ridley. We don't have the locker room yet to handle a guy with issues.

I Don't want Barr because he's over rated and he is a dick.

And while I believe we actually may draft Hamilton our CB position is far from barren.

Honestly my 13 year old can write a better article!

• Upvote 1

The Jets need to improve their roster.  It may be more than 4 steps.  It could happen through FA or the Draft, or in many cases both because the roster is in spots woefully deficient.  Holes should be plugged with FAs when possible, and draft picks can compete.  

1. Offensive Line-the Jets lost games in 2021 because the OL was not functioning.   The OL should be a relative strength of the team. For the Jets that means signing OT3 for more than they want to spend (Moses), solidifying RG (LDT if possible, unless we think Samia or Clark can do it) and then having draft picks and PS players compete for backup/roster/PS roles.  Edoga, McDermott, Feeney and GVR should not be on the roster.     I think Zion Johnson will be there in RD 3 and could be helpful, even as a backup T.
  2. Defensive Line-more EDGE and replacement of guys like Shepherd, Foley and Rankins.   We may not be able to let Rankins go.  For starters that is reaching for Karlaftis at 4 and looking for FA DTs that are a better fit.  
  3. WR-more players and better players.  Extend Berrios and bid for a bridge FA such as Godwin or Robinsoin, and then look to draft one at 1B or in the second round.  We can always move from Davis after this year, and Mims will likely be gone.
  4. TE-sign one and draft one no later than RD 3 (or sign 2).  We could easily sign 2 TEs and draft one.  
  5. RB-at least Perine should be upgraded.  Johnson is replaceable.  At this stage in the rebuild finding rental RBs may be better than drafting.
  6. LB-should add a real athlete in rounds 2-3 and try to sign one too.   This is Mosley's last year.  I would only count on one of the conversions working out.
  7. S-like TE, needs a FA and a draft pick.  We could add three FAs/Draft Picks and let the rest compete for the other spot.
  8. CB-sign a FA to improve the room and compete with Echols. 

Fortunately for the Jets, draft picks have to play with their teams for 4-5 years.  So filling the holes in FAs and letting draft picks sit if necessary is completely sensical.  All of the good draft picks will find playing time before the year is over.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Rob's 4 step plan

1.  Take a good player at #4

2.  Take a good player at #10

3.  Take a good player at the top of the 2nd round

4. Take another good player in the 2nd round

Already a better article than the one that was posted! :D  

• Upvote 2