Tom Brady

8 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think you are getting too bent out of shape about the word "compiler." After all, Brady is ALSO a "compiler" 

The difference is that Brady has had half a dozen all-pro selections, multiple MVP awards, and record breaking seasons.

It's not that Curtis Martin wasn't great, it's that he didn't dominate the sport the way Brady, at times, has. 

I'm a huge Curtis Martin fan (one of all-time favorite Jets) but I don't think there's anyone who needs convincing of your statement in bold.  

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Don't get me wrong, the NBA isn't my sport (Baseball and Football are me), so I'll defer to true hoop-heads as the experts.

But I think sometimes Fans ignore the "why" behind some players perceived greatness.  Jordan was utterly amazing on the court, no doubt, no question, one of the best to ever step on a court, but his effect OFF the court was more massive than any player in NBA history by a massive margin.  No one else comes close. 

That effect is a big part of why he gets the GOAT nod vs. players that really were his equal or better on the court. 

Right.

The other factor is that he was the best player on the dynasty that dominated the sport at a time when the NBA was at its peak of international popularity. Jordan was a perfect storm. 

image.png.2f3a2192ca07000850124f7512c11e2e.png

• Upvote 1

Now that hes a Buc ... im a fan ... my entire family supports NE with the exception of me and my poor godchildren.

Now we too can enjoy Brady's greatness and we are lucky to see it.

Pre Buc Brady .. **** that guy.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

He is more Lebron than Jordan.  He left New England for a super skill position team

He's more Barry Bonds than Babe Ruth, too.

Swap Montana and Brady in their eras and there's not even a discussion. Joe actually was able to get hit (often).

Ridiculous to compare to Gretzky or Ruth, guys who literally saved their sports (while the Brady rules have made the game boring to football fans). Babe was hitting home runs at pace higher than entire teams, same goes for Gretzky and scoring. Not even close.

And to top it all off, greatness isn't just defined by performance. Brady has proven to have low respect and character. In the face of what should have been a minor infraction, instead of a mea culpa and moving on, he flat out lied. The guy embodies entitlement. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I'm assuming race played a role with Russell, given the era and city in which he played, no? 

Not in what I am talking about.  I wish I could remember who it was, but I remember guys of color from the top 50,saying "look at him holding court" with disdain and huffing and saying "I guess we have to go kiss the ring."  I will I could remember who it was.  Elgin Baylor? Elvin Hayes? It was a guy before my time that I didn't know like I knew the Knicks, Gervin, Julius, etc. Might even have been Sam Jones RIP, though I saw some nice quotes from Russell in the articles on his passing last month.   

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Not in what I am talking about.  I wish I could remember who it was, but I remember guys of color from the top 50,saying "look at him holding court" with disdain and huffing and saying "I guess we have to go kiss the ring."  I will I could remember who it was.  Elgin Baylor? Elvin Hayes? It was a guy before my time that I didn't know like I knew the Knicks, Gervin, Julius, etc. Might even have been Sam Jones RIP, though I saw some nice quotes from Russell in the articles on his passing last month.   

Ahh, Ok. I hear you. 

I would wonder if some of that was jealousy? The guy won 11 rings, including 8 in a row. 

Of course, there were only like 8 teams, lol

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Ahh, Ok. I hear you. 

I would wonder if some of that was jealousy? The guy won 11 rings, including 8 in a row. 

Of course, there were only like 8 teams, lol

All I can say is that they were all acting like it was a great get together with tons of camaraderie and love and when it came to Russell it seemed like there was a bunch of eye rolling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Let me help you again:

All-pro selections occur for every position on the field and have nothing to do with your team's record. Brady has 6, Curtin Martin has 3. 

I would quit while I'm behind. 

edit: 6

Let me help you again; Brady has played 21+ years on the league's most dominant team/s.  Curtis Martin played 11 on the NY Jets. 

It's Apples to Meteoroids and I never dumbed our brains down to make this stupid comparison you started between the 2.  It was an example, and you took it as a comparison of the 2's career.  You're making us dumber with every response. 

53 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think you are getting too bent out of shape about the word "compiler." After all, Brady is ALSO a "compiler" 

The difference is that Brady has had half a dozen all-pro selections, multiple MVP awards, and record breaking seasons.

It's not that Curtis Martin wasn't great, it's that he didn't dominate the sport the way Brady, at times, has. 

I AM NOT COMPARING THE 2 YOU JACKASS!!!!!!!!!!!! lmfao

49 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

There's nothing wrong with Battling for Curtis Martin. I loved Curtis. Still one of only three Jets Jerseys that I own. 

But it's all about what you are battling for, though. Battling against Brady - yeah, not a fight you can win. 

Also - what's wrong with bringing up one of the biggest games of his career? 

Billy Madison GIF by The Taboo Group

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

And Brady put up a 5300 yard, 43/6 TD:INT season this year at age 45. Way better stats than Mahomes or Rodgers BTW

Purely volume play. Rodgers trumped his efficiency metrics in every single category by multiple factors. It’s not even close how good Rodgers was this year compared to anyone else, and he did it with a grand total of 0 TDs thrown to or handed off to a 1st round player. Bradys playing with 1st rounders everywhere.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Other than Sav, who else actually said this?  I don't think many, and definitely not anything close to a majority.

Straw man argument IMO.

Agreed. I believe EM31 was with Savage on that one. Much of the ire was focused on Martin's performance as a Jet in the playoffs. But on the Patriots he was actually quite good, so overall was a solid playoff runner == not Emmit Smith or Terrell Davis level -- but good.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Let me help you again; Brady has played 21+ years on the league's most dominant team/s.  Curtis Martin played 11 on the NY Jets.  

Brady is a big reason his teams were dominant - as 3 league MVP awards and 6 all pro selections sort of attest to :) 

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah but then Brady beat both Rodgers and Mahomes last year to win a super bowl in both games he was the underdog. So yeah that’s why he’s the GOAT

Brady didn't BEAT anybody.  The Bucs beat the Packers and the Chiefs. When are people going to understand that football isn't golf or tennis.  These are teams of 45 players playing each other in the ultimate team sport.  QBs don't win or lose by themselves.  It's freakin' ridiculous.  

Don't get me wrong, the NBA isn't my sport (Baseball and Football are me), so I'll defer to true hoop-heads as the experts.

But I think sometimes Fans ignore the "why" behind some players perceived greatness.  Jordan was utterly amazing on the court, no doubt, no question, one of the best to ever step on a court, but his effect OFF the court was more massive than any player in NBA history by a massive margin.  No one else comes close. 

That effect is a big part of why he gets the GOAT nod vs. players that really were his equal or better on the court. 

What was Jordan's impact off the court?  Selling sneakers?  Whoop de doo.  He was as big an A$$hole as Brady.  Watch his HOF acceptance speech. The ultimate narcissist.  

Yeah but then Brady beat both Rodgers and Mahomes last year to win a super bowl in both games he was the underdog. So yeah that’s why he’s the GOAT

Brady threw an INT on three consecutive possessions in the second half of the NFC championship game, and still got to play in the SB because of the defense.

The next game, the defense stifled a KC offense that was coming off of one of the greatest 2 year runs ever and prevented a TD for the first time in Mahomes' career. Brady was on the sideline during all of that. 

54 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

He's more Barry Bonds than Babe Ruth, too.

Swap Montana and Brady in their eras and there's not even a discussion. Joe actually was able to get hit (often).

Ridiculous to compare to Gretzky or Ruth, guys who literally saved their sports (while the Brady rules have made the game boring to football fans). Babe was hitting home runs at pace higher than entire teams, same goes for Gretzky and scoring. Not even close.

And to top it all off, greatness isn't just defined by performance. Brady has proven to have low respect and character. In the face of what should have been a minor infraction, instead of a mea culpa and moving on, he flat out lied. The guy embodies entitlement. 

How did Gretzky save hockey?  It didn't need saving.  It was doing fine before and after him.  

I still don't understand why the national media or no one else ever questions what Brady is doing. Like, to me, it's so blatantly obvious that he's consuming HGH like it's water and has been doing it for years. Look at how his body type, his arm strength, and his ability to absorb hits have all gotten significantly better with age.

Everyone's turning a blind eye to it to worship his greatness the way they all turned a blind eye to Bonds/Sosa/McGuire all gaining incredible mass over a short time which happened to coincide with more HRs. And that's not even including sypgate, deflategate, and the list of other things that we're not privy to. I mean, c'mon. Wake up morons. 

• Upvote 1

Wilt, Russel, Kareem, Bryant and of course LeBron all can lay claim to being the GOAT or being damn close to Jordan's equal.

Jordan, like Namath, carries with him massive titanic cultural value.  The NBA simply isn't the NBA without Jordan and the massive marketing effort/success around him.

In no way does that diminish Jordan as a player.  But he's not alone in the discussion of the GOAT, not for what he did on the court.

Ahem.. Joey Chestnut 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

Could you imagine how many yards Marino and Montana would have had in this NFL of clean pockets and wide open receivers?

Absolutely true.  Plus if you think about the reverse (Brady playing back in Montana/Marino's era), there's no chance his career lasts this long.  Plus there would've been brutal (as in "incredibly difficult") competition in the NFC in the Superbowl.

• Upvote 2

Oh now it’s a team game when those other guys can’t make it to 10 superbowls? Montana only made it to 4! And you’re calling him the GOAT?  Montana himself called Brady the GOAT lol

7FB14D8F-286A-484B-977E-3E9AF909911B.png

Think about this:

If Brady wins another one, he'll have double the number of Superbowl wins as Montana (8 to 4).  Not to mention that he also appeared 3 other times.

• Upvote 1