Congratulations Matthew Stafford

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Matt Stafford has had a tough road in the NFL and it's nice to see a player of his talent finally get that very allusive first playoff win.

Being on such a perennial bad team like Detroit for so long - just unable to put a team around him to help him win.  I say good for him for forcing his way out.

From a kid starting out having such a rough rookie year to - franchise QB on a bad team -  to finally being on a good team, having his best statistical season, playoff game winner and Super Bowl contender in year 13 of his career.

Reminds me a little of Jim Plunkett in that regard.  

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Also what happened to the great Kyler Murray ? No crap teams to inflate stats in the playoffs. 

Cards suck late.  

In fact, was hearing on the radio this morning that pretty much every team coached by Kingsbury deflate late in seasons.

6 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

What does Zach Wilson have to do with Mathew Stafford's success last night?

I sure hope its not that we expect him to need 13 seasons before getting his first playoff win.  And not doing it with the team that drafted him.  But I guess time will tell.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Hex said:

sim better star trek GIF

Are you suggesting....

1. That because both Zach Wilson and Matthew Stafford had statistically poor rookie years that makes them similar?
  2. The fact that having a weak surrounding team can make a difference in a QB's success? 

Is one or both of those reasons why you felt you needed to bring ZW into a congratulatory thread about Matt Stafford?

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve really liked Stafford for a long time. I still recall that clip from his rookie year when he got hurt on the last play of the game, wasn’t supposed to play, disregarded his trainers and coaches and went back in to throw the game winning pass with no time left, and then was subsequently out for many weeks with that severe injury.

Always felt that he was being wasted, and the minute he got traded to the Rams, I had them as the favorites to come out of the NFC. He’s kinda taken me by surprise a bit with his struggles in the middle of the year, and I’m not liking his high turnover numbers - I thought those would come way down on the Rams. Still, he showed yesterday that he’s every bit a franchise QB.

Its obvious what the point of this thread is, but it’s woefully misguided. Stafford had pedigree from high school. Kiper predicted he’d be the #1 pick before he even got to Georgia. He got to Georgia and proved Kiper right. He went something like 14-2 in big games and was a hiesman favorite for a while, led the bulldogs to good/great records, and I think won a bowl game each of his three years. He started as a true freshman and did it all in the SEC. In the NFL, even on one of the worst teams, he proved he was a FQB by elevating the play of the OL and receivers around him by putting up big numbers. He might be a little overrated by some and underrated by others, but at every single step along the way, he’s been head and shoulders above anything that Zach has put out at equivalent points in their careers.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Losing Hopkins hurt, but the kid just looks so tiny out there. His arm is pretty average and despite reports that he runs a 4.3, I don't see that type of speed on the field. 

Much like Lamar Jackson, as he gets older/slower, I just don't see how he will remain a top tier QB (assuming he is one now). 

He did look really slow last night.

For him I mean - just seemed slower that I remember and his arm didn't seem particularly strong.  I don't know if he was hurt or I just overinflated him earlier..

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you suggesting....

1. That because both Zach Wilson and Matthew Stafford had statistically poor rookie years that makes them similar?
  2. The fact that having a weak surrounding team can make a difference in a QB's success? 

Is one or both of those reasons why you felt you needed to bring ZW into a congratulatory thread about Matt Stafford?

I didn't bring him in at all.  Somebody else did, and I felt the impulse to say what I did, even though I probably shouldn't have.

But yes, I am suggesting that if both of those points are true, and ZW was already referenced, then I have no issue with talking about how they are similar. It's a Stafford thread on a Jets forum, what do you expect?

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Losing Hopkins hurt, but the kid just looks so tiny out there. His arm is pretty average and despite reports that he runs a 4.3, I don't see that type of speed on the field. 

Much like Lamar Jackson, as he gets older/slower, I just don't see how he will remain a top tier QB (assuming he is one now). 

It happens to all the running QB's only question is when. That's why I'm not a big proponent of the super athletic QB while pocket passers get over looked. Its like they see the next shiny object in this league and forget what the position is all about. The 4 or 5 best QB's of the last 15-20 years were all pocket passers but to hell with all that who the hell needs a guy throwing for 70% when you can have a guy who can't hit the broad side of a barn but damn can he run, that is until he gets shut down come playoff time and throws for 90 yards. 

• Upvote 1

Playoff teams do not 'suck', some have  weaknesses, some go cold at the wrong time some have a bad injury at the wrong time but they do not suck and even a team like Pittsburgh has a lot of good players and coaches.  It is flat put tough to make the playoffs most years other than some outliers with div champs in a bad div in a particular year.

The line between winning and losing in this league is fine as we have seen this year.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

I didn't bring him in at all.  Somebody else did, and I felt the impulse to say what I did, even though I probably shouldn't have.

But yes, I am suggesting that if both of those points are true, and ZW was already referenced, then I have no issue with talking about how they are similar. It's a Stafford thread on a Jets forum, what do you expect?

Yeah, I meant to respond to someone else.   Sorry about that!

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

Also what happened to the great Kyler Murray ? No crap teams to inflate stats in the playoffs. 

Him and Kliff are getting roasted out here in the desert, as they should.

There's no reason the Cardinals should have looked so unprepared and in a completely different league than a division rival they've already faced twice and beat once.  And, it's not all about not having Deandre Hopkins.

• Upvote 2