Texans “open” to trading pick 3

Rhg1084

18 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Trading up? Are you crazy?

This affects us in the sense that teams who want the top QB in the draft will likely want to get to 3 instead of waiting to trade with us at 4. It impacts our potential ability to trade down.

It's still good news IF there is a QB hungry team looking to move into the top 5. Jags take a tackle, someone trades up to 3 and takes a QB, and we get one of the top two edge rushers. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I'm curious what your best, and 2nd best case scenario, for the Jets in this draft is.

I don’t know yet to be honest. Oregon guy seems like a flake and the Purdue edge didn’t have great production.

Neal from Alabama is safe, but how many more linemen can you take? 

it’s cliche but a trade out from 4 right now looks like the best move.

• Upvote 1

Just now, slimjasi said:

It's still good news IF there is a QB hungry team looking to move into the top 5. Jags take a tackle, someone trades up to 3 and takes a QB, and we get one of the top two edge rushers. 

True, true. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Hutchinson and Thibideoux don't go 1-2... And if I'm being honest I don't think anyone trades to 3 for a QB. But that is a possible scenario.

• Upvote 1

Just now, UntouchableCrew said:

True, true. I have a hard time seeing a scenario where Hutchinson and Thibideoux don't go 1-2... And if I'm being honest I don't think anyone trades to 3 for a QB. But that is a possible scenario.

Agreed. 

My only hesitation is with Jacksonville. The Jags desperately need to give TLaw some help and they have already gone edge in the 1st round in recent years. They already have a decent pass rush. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know yet to be honest. Oregon guy seems like a flake and the Purdue edge didn’t have great production.

Neal from Alabama is safe, but how many more linemen can you take? 

it’s cliche but a trade out from 4 right now looks like the best move.

I still think that if Hamilton has a good pre draft process, and his medicals check out, that will be the guy we get calls about.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed. 

My only hesitation is with Jacksonville. The Jags desperately need to give TLaw some help and they have already gone edge in the 1st round in recent years. They already have a decent pass rush. 

I'm not convinced Neal is as good of a prospect as many seem to. He checks boxes but Alabama's line has really struggled this year.

There's part of me that thinks it's possible that Ekwonu or Cross end up going ahead of him.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm not convinced Neal is as good of a prospect as many seem to. He checks boxes but Alabama's line has really struggled this year.

There's part of me that thinks it's possible that Ekwonu or Cross end up going ahead of him.

I've heard a lot of people say this lately. Very interesting. 

I haven't looked carefully at the tackles yet because I want no part of the Jets taking a tackle with a top 10 pick this year, but there is definitely some buzz to the idea that Neal my be overrated. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Why not? Using 3 of them has had such great rewards.

Actually wait -- they did draft 4 of them. This would be their 5th OL pick in round 1 over 8 seasons if they pulled that trigger lmao. 

1. 2015 - #28 - G - Laken Tomlinson
  2. 2016 - #16 - T - Taylor Decker
  3. 2018 - #20 - C - Frank Ragnow
  4. 2021 - #7 - T - Penei Sewell

Like 2003-2005 when they drafted WRs 3 years in a row with their round 1 picks at slots #2, #7, and #10 so Joey Harrington would have elite wepponz to throw to. Then again two years after that; at least they finally landed an all-time great with a fourth top 10 WR pick in 6 drafts in Calvin Johnson, and two years later came Stafford.

Lots of yards, but not a lot to show for it in terms of team success, though. Three WC losses in a 6 yr span from '11-'16 was like their post-Barry heyday. 

What a bunch of ****ing idiots. But yeah, teh "super unit" lol. 

your right i forgot about that cause i was just thinking of who was on the team now.

i think one went to SF. i wonder if they send Detroit a thank you for drafting and developing a OL for them.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Giving up major assets to move into the top 5 for a safety? 

Yeah . . . I don't see that happening. 

I see your point. However, if this kid is the athlete that people think he is and is the player many think he is, a true game changer, it could happen. Put it this way, would you trade up to the top 5 to get Ed Reed? I'm only using him because I've read stuff where people compare the two. I don't think I would do it, more making the case for why somebody might. It would have to be a team with a killer front 7 that needs a playmaker in the back end.

1 hour ago, doitny said:

does Jax pass on one of these guys just because they draft one the last 2 years. if one is so great, can they pass him up and for who? the OL ?

This is basically my dream scenario. If Jax believes that Neal is a franchise caliber LT, it’s a move that makes a lot of sense for them to protect Lawrence. You’ve got people here advocating that type of move for the Jets, even though this team has gone OL in the first round the last two years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JerseyJoe67 said:

I'm hoping Pittsburgh falls in love with one of the QB's and we trade out of the 4th spot.

Reading reports that suggest they're happy with Rudolph being their starter next year. I personally don't believe that to be the case, since Rudolph is not very good, but they're trying to play down expectations that they're in to draft a QB high in the draft.

Just now, Aussie Jet said:

Reading reports that suggest they're happy with Rudolph being their starter next year. I personally don't believe that to be the case, since Rudolph is not very good, but they're trying to play down expectations that they're in to draft a QB high in the draft.

Surprised to read that ... the reports I read just the other day were suggesting they wouldn't even allow him to join in any reindeer games.

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Origen said:

Thing about Thibs is all he has done is meet huge expectations all the way thru.  #1 high school recruit for college to now the probable #1 pick for the NFL.  That in itself is impressive.  If he was available at 4 I would not even wait for the timer to start counting down before sending in the pick.

Agreed. However, I feel like Jacksonville and Detroit both need a solid pass rusher, so even if he makes it past one he probably won't make it past the other one.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Giving up major assets to move into the top 5 for a safety? 

Yeah . . . I don't see that happening. 

See Seattle Seahawks.

Hamilton is one of the few prospects in this draft that is an elite level kind of talent.  If he tests and interviews well a team that thinks he's the missing piece just might.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

Agreed. 

My own opinion - at this early stage - is the Jags take Neal.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

I see Pickett going there. They will do whatever it takes to get him as well.

Pittburgh needs to give the Jets 950 points to move up to 4 in exchange for 20.   

Their 2022 2 is worth 380.  Assume that is what their 2023 1 is worth.  Add the 2022 3 too and call it a day. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

You dont think Jacksonville will consider Neal to help develop their QB?

I could see Jacksonville with their cap space maybe making a run at someone like Tunsil since they can afford to take on his contract, but if they cant address LT in free agency, I would think Neal would factor in pretty strongly in that spot.

1 hour ago, slats said:

This is basically my dream scenario. If Jax believes that Neal is a franchise caliber LT, it’s a move that makes a lot of sense for them to protect Lawrence. You’ve got people here advocating that type of move for the Jets, even though this team has gone OL in the first round the last two years. 

I could absolutely see Jax take Neal (to protect TL).  But wouldn't Hutch and Thib (in whatever order) be picked at #2 and #3?  What's the dream scenario in that case?  Aren't those the 3 that are expected to be off the board when we pick?

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He had 19 sacks in 3 years in the PAC 12.

So the kid with huge expectations lived up to them and is expected to go top 2 at most and you think he's not worth it because he hasn't lived up to expectations enough?

3 hours ago, doitny said:

i dont think we would have too. what other teams would give up for that pick there not doing it for the 2nd best Edge. 

there doing that to beat the Giants to a QB. 

I think this is a pipe dream.  I don't think a QB is going to be taken very high in this draft.  I can't imagine a team trading up this high for what we're told is a mediocre class.  As for the Giants, they're probably sticking with Daniel Jones for at least 1 more year.   If he doesn't work out, they'll figure it out next year.  I think the only way they're moving on from DJ is if they can get Deshaun Jackson or Russel Wilson (someone like that).

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think this is probably right. It also sounds like the Texans haven't had much interest yet if they're putting this out there.

It's early, man.  Like REALLY early in this process.

We've got 3 more months of "fast risers" and guys coming out of nowhere. lol

• Upvote 1