Disturbing Karlaftis video.

OMA

He might looks like 250 LBs of chewed up bubble gum but he has a motor, a good first step, bull rush, hand movement, etc. 

Maybe so Mick.

But you can't question his character and work ethic.

We  make it a sport of complaining about or poking fun at players like Antonio Brown. But here is a guy with motivation and determination that is second to none. A guy that is determined to be his best and will put forth nothing less than 100 percent. Maybe he doesn't have the physical attributes of the other Edge Rushers in this draft. So is the desire to condemn AB's antics genuine ? Wanta bet Karlaftis does more than make up for any physical difficiencies with his desire and commitment to be the best ?

Rookie contracts are a bargain. Something tells me that barring injury this guy is going to have a substantial career in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think the media draft gurus are overrating GK compared to the way teams view him. He has modest production and I don’t see him blowing up the combine. Old be surprised if he goes in the top half of round 1 at the end of the day.

It would be interesting to compare Karlaftis’ combine numbers to AJ Epenesa’s.  May be similar player 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, maury77 said:

I think the media draft gurus are overrating GK compared to the way teams view him. He has modest production and I don’t see him blowing up the combine. Old be surprised if he goes in the top half of round 1 at the end of the day.

Could be. We always talk about offseason risers and fallers. Part of that is we are just now starting to hear from nfl scouts. So far, we’ve only heard from media scouts.

Some nfl scouts have Karlaftis with a 2nd round grade.

2 hours ago, maury77 said:

This is the way I see it...It's amazing how the media can promote a name or ideas and get large groups of people repeating things...I personally think there's zero chance this guy goes top ten.  I don't even think the top 3 picks are set in stone it's just become accepted that the 2 top rushers will be gone.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PepPep said:

Lol at all the Karlaftis hate. Dude is 6'4, 265 and 20yrs old. His tape is great. You can tell he can still put on some muscle and if he does in the NFL he will be a perfect fit as a strong side end in Saleh's scheme. He's strong, quick, explosive, athletic, smart, knows how to use his hands, has a relentless motor and while his sack numbers dropped this year (probably because he was constantly double teamed) he was still able to pressure QBs. As a true freshman, at 18, he had 7.5 sacks. 18yrs old.  

Yes, overall this is a weak draft class. Yes, I'd rather have Thib. or Hutch. or even Neal. But that ain't gonna happen. You want to draft Hamilton. Ok. You want to draft Ojabo. I'm on board. But I think Karlaftis will be one of the good ones. Nothing in this tiny video clip tells me otherwise. 

Trading down may not be an option. In fact. I doubt it will be.  

I see him listed at 275 lbs. almost everywhere.  In fact, his size/speed profile looks an awful lot like JFM.  Not sure if he's a similar style of player, but I'm not super keen on a JFM clone since we already have one although that one seemed to forget how to touch the QB once he got paid.  Maybe a young, hungry version would be better.  

Honestly, I think our defensive fate next season lies more with Carl Lawson coming all the way back from his injury than anyone we are going to draft short of Thibs and/or Hutch.

13 hours ago, mrcoops said:

People better get used to the idea of Karlaftis at 4, because I think there's a legit chance that it happens - especially if he works out well pre-draft.

He's already viewed as a top 10 prospect in many places, he plays a premium position, it's an area of real need for the Jets, and he seems like an ideal fit as a strong side end in a 4-3.

Unless something unexpected happens - like one of the other top edges falling - I think there's a decent chance that Karlaftis could be the Jets' pick if they stay at 4.

In the Mock Draft released this morning Kiper has Karlaftis still on the Board at Pick 10. Trade out of 4 into the bottom of Round 1 + whatever else the Jets can receive. Take Karfaftis with no 10 and Trey McBride with the second first Round pick.

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 4:30 PM, Beerfish said:

Does not look like a pass rusher, but there is nothing wrong with that.

Some of the best pass rushers are not lighting fast or have uber moves they just have non stop motors and are smart.

Look at a guy like Crosby, good athlete but he is relentless and if he finds a weakness he exploits it.

maxx-crosby-ras-19386.png?resize=806,522

11 hours ago, varjet said:

It would be interesting to compare Karlaftis’ combine numbers to AJ Epenesa’s.  May be similar player 

Oh, joy.

Games Def Interceptions Fumbles   Tackles    
Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Comb Solo Ast TFL QBHits Sfty AV
Career       28 1 0 0 0 0 2           2.5 28 19 9 5 13   3
2020 22 BUF   57 14 1 0 0 0 0 1           1.0 14 11 3 3 4   2
2021 23 BUF   57 14 0 0 0 0 0 1           1.5 14 8 6 2 9   1

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

F**king doofus.

17 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

maxx-crosby-ras-19386.png?resize=806,522

That’s actually a very good potential marker for Karlaftis athletically.  He’s already produced a 37 inch vertical and 10’1 broad and an unofficial 4.69 40 at 270lbs.  His cone and shuttles will be interesting.  The videos in in this thread make me think he will be good in those as well but time will tell.  It’s always tough to be sure on these unofficial measurements.

28 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

That’s actually a very good potential marker for Karlaftis athletically.  He’s already produced a 37 inch vertical and 10’1 broad and an unofficial 4.69 40 at 270lbs.  His cone and shuttles will be interesting.  The videos in in this thread make me think he will be good in those as well but time will tell.  It’s always tough to be sure on these unofficial measurements.

And I'll refuse to believe those numbers.  lol.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Do you mind if I ask why?  I can’t quite pinpoint where this Karlaftis is questionable in the “athletic” department came from.  

I'm kidding.  But he just looks like a doofus.  He's probably a very athletic doofus, and probably one I'll be very happy to see the Jets draft, if/when it happens.

• Haha 1

Nick Bosa had a grand goal of 5 sacks his senior year so you cannot look at that as good measure.  GK has an undeniable motor and was a beast and disruptive making plays all over the place. He gets pressure on the abs regularly.    He’s got a lot of the intangibles you can’t teach and to me he looks better than Hutch.  To me Karloftis seems like a perfect fit 

I would like to see the list of successful NFL Edge players who did not have great athletic scores. 

For Karlaftis, his scores, particularly his shuttles, will be very instructive.   If he nails those tests, it will make him a lot of money.

I don’t know why Maxx Crosby was not drafted higher.  He had good athletic scores,  His bench press was low, but his arms are long.  It works that way.

Based on the above, you can see why the Polite pick was so moronic.   You can also have some sympathy for the Jabari Zuniga pick in Rd 3.  Some thing with Ashtyn.  But at some point you have to dig a bit into the brain and not look at the athletic scores.  

If Karlaftis can be a Ryan Kerrigan for the Jets, taking him at 4 will be a good pick.  The alternatives appear to be Karlaftis, Hamilton (a safety who should be good, but how good will he be if QBs have all day to throw) and Ekwonu, being discussed as a T potentially but he is 6-4.  There are very few NFL LTs that are 6-4 or shorter.   

10 hours ago, varjet said:

I would like to see the list of successful NFL Edge players who did not have great athletic scores. 

The posterchildren in recent years would probably be:

• Yannick Ngakoue (55.5 Sacks in 6 seasons)
  • DeMarcus Lawrence (48.5 Sacks in 8 seasons)
  • Za'Darius Smith (44.5 Sacks in 7 seasons)
  • Markus Golden (44.5 Sacks in 7 seasons)

yannick-ngakoue-ras-13105.png?resize=806

demarcus-lawrence-ras-11181.png?resize=8

zadarius-smith-ras-12271.png?resize=806,

markus-golden-ras-12080.png?resize=806,5

Though Lawrence's productivity has dropped off precipitously over the last 3 seasons.  EDGE guys with poor athleticism don't tend to age gracefully.  

On the other side of the coin, athletic freak Von Miller just recorded 9.5 sacks in his age 32 season.  

On 1/18/2022 at 4:06 PM, OMA said:

Look at that effort and hand slaps....  future Jet if I have ever seen one.  The Uncle Rico vibe from this video cracks me up.

On 1/18/2022 at 7:56 PM, HawkeyeJet said:

Here is another link of Karlaftis 

He looks/sounds like a very weird dude. 

Like he’s got a screw loose or something.