2022 QB Carousel

12 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm certainly glad that the Jets won't be searching for a QB this season, but it will be something to watch as it could certainly have some ramifications on the draft. Opening this up for discussion purposes, but here's the way I currently see it: 

• Atlanta Falcons: they're going to stick with Matt Ryan, but it wouldn't be a shock if they decided to start preparing for life after him by vetting all the draft prospects thoroughly.
  • Carolina Panthers: I don't see them making a move simply to make a move. I think they will either go for the big fish or ride out Sam Darnold for another season. 
  • Cleveland Browns: they're a wild card, but gut tells me they'll ride it out with Baker Mayfield in 2022. 
  • Denver Broncos: this team is going to be interesting to follow. They're biggest needs are HC and QB. They have a very capable roster and are drafting 9th (one spot ahead of our pick from Seattle). I have a feeling this is the perfect spot for Kirk Cousins. 
  • Detroit Lions: the Lions have come off sounding pretty committed to at least another season with Jared Goff. 
  • Houston Texans: I think the Texans will commit themselves to Davis Mills this year, and with word that they could look into trading out of the #3 spot, it could be possible that a team who falls in love with a QB opts to move into that spot to play it safe (see 2021 SF 49ers). All signs point to Deshaun Watson being traded as well. 
  • Indianapolis Colts: the media has speculated whether the Colts will move on from Wentz, but I think they will look to continue building around him. 
  • Minnesota Vikings: trying to figure out the future of this team is very confusing. In some respects, I can see them looking to press the reset button as the Lions did. I can also see them trying to take the Falcons approach and continue to build around Kirk. Or they can follow the blueprint of the Eagles and move Kirk to swap in a younger, different style QB either on the roster or off of it. Either way, what looms over these decisions is that they have some ready talent that can help them win games immediately, but understanding who will be the GM and HC is key to understanding how they handle the Kirk Cousins situation. 
  • New Orleans: I can see them jumping into the veteran QB market head-first (see Jimmy Garoppolo), or I can see them making a move for one of these draft-eligible QBs that maybe the "draft experts" aren't as high on but the Saints see a guy worth building around. 
  • New York Giants: this is another one that may be hard to predict at the moment. If they hire the Buffalo guys, signing Trubisky as a veteran competitor to Daniel Jones would seem like a logical connection. If they hired Flores, there will be a lot of Watson-to-NY connections, but I think a lot needs to happen before Mara takes that chance. 
  • Philadelphia Eagles: I really think the Eagles will try to recruit Deshaun Watson. They have some pieces, and adding Watson can really change the dynamic of their offense. It's also important to point out that they have (3) 1sr round picks this year, which puts them in a very good spot from a compensation standpoint. If they did trade for him, I could see them flipping Hurts to a team like Minnesota if they were to move Cousins. 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: I think the Steelers will be OK with Rudolph, Haskins, and a 1st round rookie competing for the job.
  • Washington Commanders: this one is hard to figure out. Would Kyle Shanahan trade Jimmy to that franchise? I think not... nor am I convinced Jimmy would want to play there (if he is traded, I expect SF to work with him on a landing spot). Maybe they go big-game hunting for a Wilson or Watson, but I don't know if Watson would be a great look given their ongoing investigation. Sitting at 11 overall, they may be in the range to take a QB. 

Teams left out: 

• Green Bay Packers - I don't think Rodgers demands a trade. A lot can happen though. 
  • Seattle Seahawks - I think this is less of a Wilson decision and more of a Seahawks decision. I don't see why they would trade him. 
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I would think they'll be opportunistic and try to find an heir apparent, but I get the vibe that their going to press reset whenever Tom decides to hang it up (new HC, new QB) and let the next coach be part of the conversation to find a replacement. 

Good post. In a year where the draft QBs are underwhelming there are way more teams than normal that need a QB. Could see a lot of crazy things happen and maybe like Trubisky a QB or 2 gets pushed up into the very top of the draft (say at 4?)

Agree that Rodgers and Wilson are going no where.

The uncertainty at QB for so many teams opens up the possibility of a lot of teams really dropping. 

The one I disagree with is Carolina. Darnold was horrible. If Rhule had fewer years left on his contract, he likely gets fired. He's not living and dying on the Darnold sword. They might go veteran and draft a QB as well.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I still can't believe Washington picked the Commanders for their name. I liked most of the other proposed names more. 

I can't find any leaks for that. The only leak that I found was that for a few hours washingtonadmirals.com redirected to the WTF website, which suggests that that is going to be the name. I haven't seen any leaks about Commanders being their name.

Edit: Wait, there was a leak?

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I haven't really been paying attention but I thought the "commanders" logo leak was pretty damning evidence?

1 minute ago, Hex said:

I can't find any leaks for that. The only leak that I found was that for a few hours washingtonadmirals.com redirected to the WTF website, which suggests that that is going to be the name. I haven't seen any leaks about Commanders being their name.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3401003/we-have-some-washington-commanders-logo-leaks-and-its-very-possible-thats-the-new-name

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Maybe. That's a little hard to see. Somebody else pointed out that the W might have an 'A for Admirals' hidden in it too, but that just seems even more far-fetched. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're 'leaking' stuff to try to confuse everybody

• Upvote 1

Just now, Hex said:

Maybe. That's a little hard to see. Somebody else pointed out that the W might have an 'A for Admirals' hidden in it too, but that just seems even more far-fetched. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they're 'leaking' stuff to try to confuse everybody

Yep, these could be intentional to throw people off. I hope so. 

I kind of hate "commanders"

Hogs or Red Hogs would be much better. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, these could be intentional to throw people off. I hope so. 

I kind of hate "commanders"

Hogs or Red Hogs would be much better. 

I agree, 'Commanders' just doesn't really fit with the rest of the league.

'Hogs' does though.

56 minutes ago, football guy said:

I'm certainly glad that the Jets won't be searching for a QB this season, but it will be something to watch as it could certainly have some ramifications on the draft. Opening this up for discussion purposes, but here's the way I currently see it: 

• Atlanta Falcons: they're going to stick with Matt Ryan, but it wouldn't be a shock if they decided to start preparing for life after him by vetting all the draft prospects thoroughly.
  • Carolina Panthers: I don't see them making a move simply to make a move. I think they will either go for the big fish or ride out Sam Darnold for another season. 
  • Cleveland Browns: they're a wild card, but gut tells me they'll ride it out with Baker Mayfield in 2022. 
  • Denver Broncos: this team is going to be interesting to follow. They're biggest needs are HC and QB. They have a very capable roster and are drafting 9th (one spot ahead of our pick from Seattle). I have a feeling this is the perfect spot for Kirk Cousins. 
  • Detroit Lions: the Lions have come off sounding pretty committed to at least another season with Jared Goff. 
  • Houston Texans: I think the Texans will commit themselves to Davis Mills this year, and with word that they could look into trading out of the #3 spot, it could be possible that a team who falls in love with a QB opts to move into that spot to play it safe (see 2021 SF 49ers). All signs point to Deshaun Watson being traded as well. 
  • Indianapolis Colts: the media has speculated whether the Colts will move on from Wentz, but I think they will look to continue building around him. 
  • Minnesota Vikings: trying to figure out the future of this team is very confusing. In some respects, I can see them looking to press the reset button as the Lions did. I can also see them trying to take the Falcons approach and continue to build around Kirk. Or they can follow the blueprint of the Eagles and move Kirk to swap in a younger, different style QB either on the roster or off of it. Either way, what looms over these decisions is that they have some ready talent that can help them win games immediately, but understanding who will be the GM and HC is key to understanding how they handle the Kirk Cousins situation. 
  • New Orleans: I can see them jumping into the veteran QB market head-first (see Jimmy Garoppolo), or I can see them making a move for one of these draft-eligible QBs that maybe the "draft experts" aren't as high on but the Saints see a guy worth building around. 
  • New York Giants: this is another one that may be hard to predict at the moment. If they hire the Buffalo guys, signing Trubisky as a veteran competitor to Daniel Jones would seem like a logical connection. If they hired Flores, there will be a lot of Watson-to-NY connections, but I think a lot needs to happen before Mara takes that chance. 
  • Philadelphia Eagles: I really think the Eagles will try to recruit Deshaun Watson. They have some pieces, and adding Watson can really change the dynamic of their offense. It's also important to point out that they have (3) 1sr round picks this year, which puts them in a very good spot from a compensation standpoint. If they did trade for him, I could see them flipping Hurts to a team like Minnesota if they were to move Cousins. 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: I think the Steelers will be OK with Rudolph, Haskins, and a 1st round rookie competing for the job.
  • Washington Commanders: this one is hard to figure out. Would Kyle Shanahan trade Jimmy to that franchise? I think not... nor am I convinced Jimmy would want to play there (if he is traded, I expect SF to work with him on a landing spot). Maybe they go big-game hunting for a Wilson or Watson, but I don't know if Watson would be a great look given their ongoing investigation. Sitting at 11 overall, they may be in the range to take a QB. 

Teams left out: 

• Green Bay Packers - I don't think Rodgers demands a trade. A lot can happen though. 
  • Seattle Seahawks - I think this is less of a Wilson decision and more of a Seahawks decision. I don't see why they would trade him. 
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I would think they'll be opportunistic and try to find an heir apparent, but I get the vibe that their going to press reset whenever Tom decides to hang it up (new HC, new QB) and let the next coach be part of the conversation to find a replacement. 

Honestly agree with most of what you said. Not much of a carousel. Not much of a QB draft this year. Most teams will have to stick with what they have. Most puzzling to me is what NO will do. I guess they stick with Jamis and hope he stays healthy. They have a sick defense and a horrible offense. They need to make a change. 

I think minshew, foles and dalton could get chances as a starting QB somewhere. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Moving from 4 to 8 for Ridley is interesting.  

Issue might be that if Ridley had a hard time dealing with Atlanta and had to take a break than the Jets would put him in mental rehab for 30 years.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wit said:

Yeah, but he would fit right in with the fans. 

Unfortunately for him is that the fans can take a break without any issue with the Jets. If their #1 WR decides to retire or something...

That would suck.

1 hour ago, Hex said:

How about the Washington Commanding Admirals?

black and white subtitles GIF

A fitting name for a dysfunctional town full of pompous know-it-alls who all think they're in charge. lol

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

How about the Washington Commanding Admirals?

black and white subtitles GIF

A fitting name for a dysfunctional town full of pompous know-it-alls who all think they're in charge. lol

I would prefer the Washington Snyders. More fitting.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Eagles seem like a logical dark horse for Watson - but would they give up on Hurts already? Would Denver considering going for Watson? 

I still can't believe Washington picked the Commanders for their name. I liked most of the other proposed names more. 

Look how quickly they gave up on Wentz (who IIRC had recently signed a big contract) when Hurts started playing reasonably well.  The Eagles don't mess around.

The WFT chose "Commanders"?  That's a horrible name.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Look how quickly they gave up on Wentz (who IIRC had recently signed a big contract) when Hurts started playing reasonably well.  The Eagles don't mess around.

The WTF chose "Commanders"?  That's a horrible name.

fixed

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, usapaw said:

Dallas is so screwed at this position. Between Dak and EE they are buried. Dak is so overated but they can't afford the hit. Oh, that's right it's the coach again. 

You have some interesting takes. I get your Zeke claim (Even though you never backed it up), but Prescott has been one of the better statistical QBs in the league while healthy for quite a bit now. He's broken some career Dallas records in 5 years, which is impressive given the good QBs Dallas has had over the years.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Dak is like Garrapolo from a few years ago.  Kinda a tweener top ten, not quite top ten qb that wins a lot of games but where you really need an exceptional team/coach to win the big one, but are also saddled with a huge contract that really hamstrings the team.

But yes, imo Dallas went all in this year and are going to be in trouble cap wise.  They might be able to push it for one more year, but their window of opportunity is fading rapidly.  If they sack their coach, that’s it.

So what are we hoping for? QB needy teams trade up to 1,2,3 pushing top edge rushers down to 4?
Or are we hoping a QB needy team offers us a boatload for 4?

It’s funny that Jets fans have the gall to call other teams “QB needy” ?

Trust me, we’re desperately QB needy, fans are just afraid to admit it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I haven't really been paying attention but I thought the "commanders" logo leak was pretty damning evidence?

Certainly could be, the Snyder Regime IS That inept, that they could leak it.

Could also be marketing rope a dope.  Wouldn't be crazy.

We'll see, Commander is maybe probable, but it's a bit lame,

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, football guy said:

Teams left out: 

I dont buy it football guy

In your scenario, there is maybe one qb taken in the 1st. Thats not going to happen. These guys will get hyped and shoot up fast and 4 will be gone. 

Philly for example. They have 3 1st round picks. Their b stunk up the playoff game. Why wouldnt they snag one?

new orleans, texas, panthers, broncos even the steelers will be interested.

would be the weirdest draft ever to see no qbstaken

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Wit said:

Honestly agree with most of what you said. Not much of a carousel. Not much of a QB draft this year. Most teams will have to stick with what they have. Most puzzling to me is what NO will do. I guess they stick with Jamis and hope he stays healthy. They have a sick defense and a horrible offense. They need to make a change. 

I think minshew, foles and dalton could get chances as a starting QB somewhere. 

My read on things is either New Orleans trades for Jimmy Garoppolo or trades up for a QB. The 10th pick would be a logical slot for them to move into if there was a QB they end up liking in the draft, but I tend to lean towards them trading for Garoppolo. 

Kind of reminds me of how the 49ers worked with Alex Smith to move him to KC with Andy Reid. New Orleans makes a whole lot of sense for Garoppolo, and given what we know about Sean Payton's offense and what he expects out of his QBs, it's very easy to see how Jimmy would fit there as an immediate upgrade in the short-term with some long-term potential. There's also other connections linking Payton and Garoppolo: they're both Eastern Illinois alumni, they share the same agent, and they have developed a relationship with one another both on-and-off the field. Would not shock me the least bit if the Saints send something like a 2022 2nd and 2023 conditional 3rd for him. 

22 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

I dont buy it football guy

In your scenario, there is maybe one qb taken in the 1st. Thats not going to happen. These guys will get hyped and shoot up fast and 4 will be gone. 

Philly for example. They have 3 1st round picks. Their b stunk up the playoff game. Why wouldnt they snag one?

new orleans, texas, panthers, broncos even the steelers will be interested.

would be the weirdest draft ever to see no qbstaken

Where do you see that? I'm providing an analysis of each situation, but I ultimately see the following: 

• Carolina Panthers: draft a 1st round QB*** 
  • Denver Broncos: trade for Kirk Cousins
  • Minnesota Vikings: trade for Jalen Hurts
  • New Orleans Saints: trade for Jimmy Garoppolo 
  • Philadelphia Eagles: trade for Deshaun Watson 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: draft a 1st round QB 
  • Washington Commanders: draft a 1st round QB 

Carolina is the wild-card. I think ownership will want to go all-in on a guy like Watson, but there are a number of factors that could work against them. Watson has a no-trade clause, so if all things are equal why would he choose the Panthers over the Eagles?Eagles are in a weaker division, have a better offensive line, and are a better overall team. Sure, I think Watson would prefer other places over PHI (Denver would be appealing), but he's going to have to go somewhere or sit out. Similarly, a lot of these veterans QBs are going to have a say where they're traded (if they're traded), so I can't see them choosing to go to Carolina right now. There's also the fact that Carolina traded away premium draft capital last year.  

What happens next is what I don't know for sure. I do think they would draft someone, but then again, what's the owner's say in that? If he buys into the narrative that this class is weak at QB, he may overrule the selection of a QB and opt to make Rhule-Fitterer play out the year with Darnold... if they all fail he'd probably clean house anyway and task the next administration with finding a QB. Then there's the other glaring issue: their OL stinks. The way things are looking they'll have to fix it in free agency one way or another.  

2 hours ago, FootballLove said:

So what are we hoping for? QB needy teams trade up to 1,2,3 pushing top edge rushers down to 4?

Or are we hoping a QB needy team offers us a boatload for 4?

Have to hope that a team moves up for a QB, either at #3 or for #4/#10. 

Houston has made it pretty clear that they would entertain offers to move down, as most teams will, given the depth of this year's class. They may consider a below-market deal given the parity within the top 10 this year, which could make way for a team to move up for a QB. For example, Washington is a team that has heavily scouted these QBs this year, and Rivera has been heavily involved in the process. You don't often see an active head coach as involved in weekly mid-season scouting meetings as he said he has been. So if they have their sights set on a specific QB, they could make a move from 9-to-3 in attempt to jump over the Giants (#5) and Panthers (#6) for their QB, or simply to beat any other team to the punch the way SF did last year. 

Another scenario is trading down from 10 with a team that needs a QB. The Steelers don't often trade up, but they will on occasion. They are another team who has heavily scouted this year's class as well. If they really like a QB for their system, I can see them packaging picks to move up from 10 for their QB as Washington (if they stayed at 11) and Minnesota (at 12) are real threats to take a QB. 

• Upvote 1

I believe Rodgers is definitely gone if the Packers lose the NFC Championship game for the 3rd year in a row. Not sure where I believe he ends up, but it will be an AFC team for sure. Denver makes sense if they hire the right guy, but I think the franchise with the most stability he'd go to is the Steelers with Big Ben retiring. You can see the mutual respect Tomlin and Rodgers have for each other.

As for Deshaun Watson he'll go to the Eagles, which would be the same franchise that signed Michael Vick after he got out of prison due to his dog fighting conviction. The City of Brotherly Love loves to give second chances to quarterbacks. 

I would love to see the Browns and Vikings do a swap of Cousins for Mayfield à la Stabler/Pastorini. Cousins reunites with his old offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski. Vikings get Mayfield, draft capital, and cap relief which allows them to address the rest of their roster.