2022 QB Carousel

7 hours ago, football guy said:

I'm certainly glad that the Jets won't be searching for a QB this season, but it will be something to watch as it could certainly have some ramifications on the draft. Opening this up for discussion purposes, but here's the way I currently see it: 

• Atlanta Falcons: they're going to stick with Matt Ryan, but it wouldn't be a shock if they decided to start preparing for life after him by vetting all the draft prospects thoroughly.
  • Carolina Panthers: I don't see them making a move simply to make a move. I think they will either go for the big fish or ride out Sam Darnold for another season. 
  • Cleveland Browns: they're a wild card, but gut tells me they'll ride it out with Baker Mayfield in 2022. 
  • Denver Broncos: this team is going to be interesting to follow. They're biggest needs are HC and QB. They have a very capable roster and are drafting 9th (one spot ahead of our pick from Seattle). I have a feeling this is the perfect spot for Kirk Cousins. 
  • Detroit Lions: the Lions have come off sounding pretty committed to at least another season with Jared Goff. 
  • Houston Texans: I think the Texans will commit themselves to Davis Mills this year, and with word that they could look into trading out of the #3 spot, it could be possible that a team who falls in love with a QB opts to move into that spot to play it safe (see 2021 SF 49ers). All signs point to Deshaun Watson being traded as well. 
  • Indianapolis Colts: the media has speculated whether the Colts will move on from Wentz, but I think they will look to continue building around him. 
  • Minnesota Vikings: trying to figure out the future of this team is very confusing. In some respects, I can see them looking to press the reset button as the Lions did. I can also see them trying to take the Falcons approach and continue to build around Kirk. Or they can follow the blueprint of the Eagles and move Kirk to swap in a younger, different style QB either on the roster or off of it. Either way, what looms over these decisions is that they have some ready talent that can help them win games immediately, but understanding who will be the GM and HC is key to understanding how they handle the Kirk Cousins situation. 
  • New Orleans: I can see them jumping into the veteran QB market head-first (see Jimmy Garoppolo), or I can see them making a move for one of these draft-eligible QBs that maybe the "draft experts" aren't as high on but the Saints see a guy worth building around. 
  • New York Giants: this is another one that may be hard to predict at the moment. If they hire the Buffalo guys, signing Trubisky as a veteran competitor to Daniel Jones would seem like a logical connection. If they hired Flores, there will be a lot of Watson-to-NY connections, but I think a lot needs to happen before Mara takes that chance. 
  • Philadelphia Eagles: I really think the Eagles will try to recruit Deshaun Watson. They have some pieces, and adding Watson can really change the dynamic of their offense. It's also important to point out that they have (3) 1sr round picks this year, which puts them in a very good spot from a compensation standpoint. If they did trade for him, I could see them flipping Hurts to a team like Minnesota if they were to move Cousins. 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: I think the Steelers will be OK with Rudolph, Haskins, and a 1st round rookie competing for the job.
  • Washington Commanders: this one is hard to figure out. Would Kyle Shanahan trade Jimmy to that franchise? I think not... nor am I convinced Jimmy would want to play there (if he is traded, I expect SF to work with him on a landing spot). Maybe they go big-game hunting for a Wilson or Watson, but I don't know if Watson would be a great look given their ongoing investigation. Sitting at 11 overall, they may be in the range to take a QB. 

Teams left out: 

• Green Bay Packers - I don't think Rodgers demands a trade. A lot can happen though. 
  • Seattle Seahawks - I think this is less of a Wilson decision and more of a Seahawks decision. I don't see why they would trade him. 
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers - I would think they'll be opportunistic and try to find an heir apparent, but I get the vibe that their going to press reset whenever Tom decides to hang it up (new HC, new QB) and let the next coach be part of the conversation to find a replacement. 

Atlanta:  I think this is going to be very interesting, because Ryan's cap hit is MASSIVE next year, like almost 1/4 of the team level massive.  I'm not sure what they can do besides try to trade him, because the dead money is massive too.  I'm not sure they can trade him away either, because I can't think of a team willing to take that massive hit and think they are in contention.  Colts made the most sense, but having Wentz/Ryan would be disaster.   I think they stay put for this year, and they will move Ridley to save some cap.  They will stay with Ryan, and then part ways the year after (or restructure) while picking up a young QB.  The QB class should be much better next year anyway.  

Panthers:  I think they trade for Watson.  I think the coaching staff and ownership is desperate right now, and Miami seems out once Flores was gone.  They can't run Darnold out there, and waste another year of CMC/Moore with a good defense.  I think they are the favorites for Watson now.  The fan base is desperate for anything but Darnold, and it's a small enough market for sports that Watson can try to rehab his image a little.  They keep Darnold as the Watson suspension insurance.  

Browns:  I agree, I think they stick with Baker.  I know there were some rumors the Seahawks wanted No. 1 pick the year Baker was in the draft for Wilson.  I'm guessing Ciara would nix that deal now.  

Broncos:  I'm not sure where they will go, because they are somewhat caught in the middle.  That offense is dynamic for any QB that steps in, but I'm not sure who fits.  I think they are in Rodgers or bust territory.  

Lions:  They seem fine with Goff, that team seemed to rally around him.  

Texans:  Seems like they are in on Mills. 

Colts:  I think they bring in Mariota, and have him and Wentz battle it out.  

Vikings:  Sort of in the Falcons boat, that cap hit is going to be massive for whoever trades for him, and too big for the Vikings to simply cut him.  I mean I can see some team maaaaybe taking a shot on essentially a one year deal on Kirk, but I think it's more likely the new coaching staff tries to win now, with Kirk and Mond.  

Saints;  Honestly, I'm not sure what they can do besides drafting, since they are in cap hell again.  Maybe bring back Winston on the cheap again?  

Giants:  I think Russel Wilson is the target here.  They have the picks to entice Seattle in a rebuild, Wilson gets the big market and a team with talent.  I don't think they can run it back with Jones again.  I think they go all in on Wilson.  

Eagles:  I think they stay with Hurts for one more year, and try to put more talent around him.  Upgrade OL most likely.  

Steelers:  Almost a lock to draft a QB this year, like Willis or Pickett.  

Washington:  I have no idea what they could do, possibly draft a QB.  

Packers:  I think Rodgers stays put, but there's always that small chance he asks out.  It'll be interesting to see if they move Love, if Rodgers is staying.  A team like the Colts would probably take the shot on Love.  

Seahawks:  I think Wilson is done there, that team needs a rebuild at this point and he's going to bail.  I expect Metcalf and Lockett to be in rumors as well.  

Bucs:  Unless Brady retires, they won't do anything to piss him off.  

41 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Atlanta:  I think this is going to be very interesting, because Ryan's cap hit is MASSIVE next year, like almost 1/4 of the team level massive.  I'm not sure what they can do besides try to trade him, because the dead money is massive too.  I'm not sure they can trade him away either, because I can't think of a team willing to take that massive hit and think they are in contention.  Colts made the most sense, but having Wentz/Ryan would be disaster.   I think they stay put for this year, and they will move Ridley to save some cap.  They will stay with Ryan, and then part ways the year after (or restructure) while picking up a young QB.  The QB class should be much better next year anyway.  

Panthers:  I think they trade for Watson.  I think the coaching staff and ownership is desperate right now, and Miami seems out once Flores was gone.  They can't run Darnold out there, and waste another year of CMC/Moore with a good defense.  I think they are the favorites for Watson now.  The fan base is desperate for anything but Darnold, and it's a small enough market for sports that Watson can try to rehab his image a little.  They keep Darnold as the Watson suspension insurance.  

Browns:  I agree, I think they stick with Baker.  I know there were some rumors the Seahawks wanted No. 1 pick the year Baker was in the draft for Wilson.  I'm guessing Ciara would nix that deal now.  

Broncos:  I'm not sure where they will go, because they are somewhat caught in the middle.  That offense is dynamic for any QB that steps in, but I'm not sure who fits.  I think they are in Rodgers or bust territory.  

Lions:  They seem fine with Goff, that team seemed to rally around him.  

Texans:  Seems like they are in on Mills. 

Colts:  I think they bring in Mariota, and have him and Wentz battle it out.  

Vikings:  Sort of in the Falcons boat, that cap hit is going to be massive for whoever trades for him, and too big for the Vikings to simply cut him.  I mean I can see some team maaaaybe taking a shot on essentially a one year deal on Kirk, but I think it's more likely the new coaching staff tries to win now, with Kirk and Mond.  

Saints;  Honestly, I'm not sure what they can do besides drafting, since they are in cap hell again.  Maybe bring back Winston on the cheap again?  

Giants:  I think Russel Wilson is the target here.  They have the picks to entice Seattle in a rebuild, Wilson gets the big market and a team with talent.  I don't think they can run it back with Jones again.  I think they go all in on Wilson.  

Eagles:  I think they stay with Hurts for one more year, and try to put more talent around him.  Upgrade OL most likely.  

Steelers:  Almost a lock to draft a QB this year, like Willis or Pickett.  

Washington:  I have no idea what they could do, possibly draft a QB.  

Packers:  I think Rodgers stays put, but there's always that small chance he asks out.  It'll be interesting to see if they move Love, if Rodgers is staying.  A team like the Colts would probably take the shot on Love.  

Seahawks:  I think Wilson is done there, that team needs a rebuild at this point and he's going to bail.  I expect Metcalf and Lockett to be in rumors as well.  

Bucs:  Unless Brady retires, they won't do anything to piss him off.  

I see Denver as the most appealing spot for Russell Wilson. They have cap space, draft capital, and a talented roster. Only downfall is their division is loaded, but Wilson is used to that. 

Watson: Philadelphia-they have the draft picks and aren’t afraid of the public outcry (see Michael Vick). The Darnold trade kills Carolina here. 

Rodgers: Stays in GB

Cousins: Stays in Minnesota who draft his successor

Wilson: I think Denver makes the most sense if he’s willing to go there. 

Garropolo: Washington Football Team seems like a good fit. 

Hurts: Traded to Ravens to backup Lamar 

Huntley: Signed by Panthers to compete with Darnold for starting job 

Bridgewater: Signed by Seattle to replace Wilson

Trubisky: Signed by Giants to backup/push Jones 

Winston: Re-signed by Saints 

Lock: Traded to Lions for a late round pick

Mariota: Signed by Pittsburgh to be veteran stop gap for rookie 

Foles: Signed by Jets to backup Wilson 

Dalton: Signed by 49ers to backup Lance

Flacco: Retires

Fitzpatrick: Retires 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Snell41 said:

It’s funny that Jets fans have the gall to call other teams “QB needy” ?

Trust me, we’re desperately QB needy, fans are just afraid to admit it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

LOL my original question (before I changed it) was "Did you leave the Jets off the list on purpose or was it an oversight?"

• 4 weeks later...

A lot of updates from Super Bowl weekend... 

QBs who could be on the market: 

• Jimmy Garoppolo (100%)
  • Jameis Winston (100%)  
  • Marcus Mariota (100%) 
  • Teddy Bridgewater (100%) 
  • Mitchell Trubisky (100%) 
  • Deshaun Watson (99%) 
  • Carson Wentz (80%) 
  • Aaron Rodgers (50%) 
  • Jalen Hurts (40%)
  • Russell Wilson (15%) 

Teams likely in the market for a new starting QB: 

• Denver Broncos: linked to Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Indianapolis Colts: linked to Jimmy Garoppolo, draft... not sure how they would do it but watch out for Rodgers. Could wind up bringing in a veteran like Brissett to compete with young guys. 
  • New Orleans Saints: linked to Jimmy Garoppolo and Deshaun Watson. Could re-sign Jameis Winston. 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: likely focused on drafting a QB, but Carson Wentz would be a fit. 
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: linked to Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers. Carson Wentz makes sense if they strike out. 
  • Washington Commanders: they apparently prefer a veteran. Linked to Deshaun Watson and Jimmy Garoppolo. 

Wild-card: 

• Philadelphia Eagles: they'll be opportunistic, so can't rule out going all in for a Deshaun Watson. 

Teams likely to bring in competition: 

• Carolina Panthers: they've been linked to Deshaun Watson, but going to have a hard time convincing a QB to want to be there. Someone like Carson Wentz could be the fallback. 
  • Cleveland Browns: Baker isn't going anywhere, but Cleveland could look to bring in competition. 
  • Houston Texans: there's still a lot to figure out re: Watson, but they'll likely ride Davis Mills for 2022 and potentially beyond depending how he develops. 
  • New York Giants: Mitchell Trubisky is a logical match; wouldn't rule out Carson Wentz. 

Unlikely to make a change: 

• Las Vegas Raiders: sticking with Derek Carr 
  • Minnesota Vikings: sticking with Kirk Cousins 
  • Seattle Seahawks: sticking with Russell Wilson

6 minutes ago, football guy said:

A lot of updates from Super Bowl weekend... 

QBs who could be on the market: 

• Jimmy Garoppolo (100%)
  • Jameis Winston (100%)  
  • Marcus Mariota (100%) 
  • Teddy Bridgewater (100%) 
  • Mitchell Trubisky (100%) 
  • Deshaun Watson (99%) 
  • Carson Wentz (80%) 
  • Aaron Rodgers (50%) 
  • Jalen Hurts (40%)
  • Russell Wilson (15%) 

Teams likely in the market for a new starting QB: 

• Denver Broncos: linked to Aaron Rodgers, Deshaun Watson, Jimmy Garoppolo
  • Indianapolis Colts: linked to Jimmy Garoppolo, draft... not sure how they would do it but watch out for Rodgers. Could wind up bringing in a veteran like Brissett to compete with young guys. 
  • New Orleans Saints: linked to Jimmy Garoppolo and Deshaun Watson. Could re-sign Jameis Winston. 
  • Pittsburgh Steelers: likely focused on drafting a QB, but Carson Wentz would be a fit. 
  • Tampa Bay Buccaneers: linked to Deshaun Watson, Aaron Rodgers. Carson Wentz makes sense if they strike out. 
  • Washington Commanders: they apparently prefer a veteran. Linked to Deshaun Watson and Jimmy Garoppolo. 

Wild-card: 

• Philadelphia Eagles: they'll be opportunistic, so can't rule out going all in for a Deshaun Watson. 

Teams likely to bring in competition: 

• Carolina Panthers: they've been linked to Deshaun Watson, but going to have a hard time convincing a QB to want to be there. Someone like Carson Wentz could be the fallback. 
  • Cleveland Browns: Baker isn't going anywhere, but Cleveland could look to bring in competition. 
  • Houston Texans: there's still a lot to figure out re: Watson, but they'll likely ride Davis Mills for 2022 and potentially beyond depending how he develops. 
  • New York Giants: Mitchell Trubisky is a logical match; wouldn't rule out Carson Wentz. 

Unlikely to make a change: 

• Las Vegas Raiders: sticking with Derek Carr 
  • Minnesota Vikings: sticking with Kirk Cousins 
  • Seattle Seahawks: sticking with Russell Wilson

Looks rough if you're looking for a QB. Rodgers is probably the only one, IMO, on the move that can make the biggest impact. Which I think is Denver. Outside of that, you're looking at a group of castoffs that already failed. Do you really want to go to that? 

Garrappolo probably the best bridge QB but....meh.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

Looks rough if you're looking for a QB. Rodgers is probably the only one, IMO, on the move that can make the biggest impact. Which I think is Denver. Outside of that, you're looking at a group of castoffs that already failed. Do you really want to go to that? 

Garrappolo probably the best bridge QB but....meh.

The reality is Rodgers controls where he plays next year. It's likely going to be Denver or Green Bay, but if wanted to play in Indianapolis, he can make that happen (assuming they would want him as well). How compensation would work? No idea. Their Day 2 picks, future 1st round picks, etc., but chances are he would opt for Denver over Indy. One thing is for sure: if Rodgers does leave, the Packers are prepared to give Love a fair shot at being the starter, so they likely wouldn't bring in another veteran QB via free agency/trade. 

Deshaun Watson with the right team could make waves. He too has a level of control over his destination, but its anyone's guess what teams he would approve a trade to at this point. Denver, Philadelphia, Tampa Bay, and Washington make sense. Carolina would love to, but I don't see Watson OKing a trade there. 

In many ways Jimmy Garoppolo feels like the consolation prize, but it wouldn't surprise me if other teams who may not be big players for the star QBs acted fast to move for him. Indianapolis makes the most sense: they're not going to be players for Watson, are tight on draft capital, but most importantly they need a functional starter who can essentially "manage" the offense. There a good team capable of winning right away, and while a rookie QB could work here, they played themselves out of landing one of the top prospects. 

• Upvote 1