Give me your best case/worst case scenario for draft

Rhg1084

As far as Linderbaum, I saw something today that the last time a Center was taken in the top 10 was Bob Johnson in 1968 (53 years ago). He was picked #2 by Paul Brown in the Bengals first ever draft. He was a stiff, lol.

I would’ve guessed Dave Rimington would have been a top 10, but I guess not?

Best case

Trade out of 4 and draft Linderbaum and a WR 

Worst case

taking a safety or reaching for a pass rusher.

I don't get why people are so against taking a center at 10 if he's a sure thing and can contribute right away that's about as good as it gets with this draft class.  Some of the names I see people throwing around would have gone in the late first or early second last year so value is irrelevant. 

• Sympathy 2

Best case: Find two guys who can be impact players right away and help the team (don’t care what position)

Worst case: Draft two worthless slugs (Vernon Gholston, Kyle Wilson, Quinton Coples, Calvin Pryor, Darron Lee, Mehki Becton, Stephen Hill, Devin Smith, Denzel Mims)

43 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Unless we do a lot in free agency to bolster the offense, just don't "focus on defense" in the draft with a second year quarterback trying to find his stride. 

I’d actually think the Jets try to use free agency to improve the offense and the draft to improve defense. Rookies tend to need time to get acclimated. I think they’d want to find players who are ready to hit the ground running. 

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Well, Someone that really needs a safety or values CB's more than Saleh does.

Just because the Jets don't value or need a particular position doesn't mean other teams won't.

Trading down is highly unlikely, but you never know.

But who in their right mind would give us multiple first rounders for a friggin' safety?

;-) 

• Haha 2

There is certainly talent in this draft, someone worth the #4 and #10 picks.  I just hope that JD can find the guys that make the pick worth it looking back 3 years from now.  Because there is a good chance both Thib and Hutch won't be worth a #4 pick in a few years.

If we end up picking Hamilton and Linderbaum at 4 and 10, and they are both pro-bowlers anchoring both the defensive backfield and the OL 4 years from now, nobody is going to look back and say those were bad picks.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

I’d actually think the Jets try to use free agency to improve the offense and the draft to improve defense. Rookies tend to need time to get acclimated. I think they’d want to find players who are ready to hit the ground running. 

I agree with what you say; the one exception I would highlight is where I hope we "double dip" at real positions on need. Thinking mainly of TE, I want us to sign a Day 1 starter in FA but also draft a prospect early to come in and contribute Year 1, without needing him to be "the guy" out of the gate.

This is so hard for me, I guess ideally Thib is there at #4 but if we take Neal/Icky/Karlaftis/Trade Down/Hamilton I'd be good with the pick. I guess I'd be irritated if we took Linderbaum at #4 but if he's as advertised I'll get over it.
As for #10, im fine with OL, LB, WR. Maybe I'd be upset with CB kinda but not really.
Too much depends on FA to give a concrete answer.

mcgovern had a solid enough year not to overreach for center at 4 - we can find a solid rg prospect later in the draft and keep mcgovern at center for at least one more year - if we utilize the new “ we can trade down if we want to “ nfl rule then maybe center with a lower pick

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Best Case:

Jets draft starter-quality Edge and WR in the first, Center and TE or Safety in the second, LB, TE and RB later.  With these added to substantial spending in FA, the Jets are finally competitive again in 2022.

Worst Case:

Jets overthink it, don't go edge early, get obsessed with "chat value", trade down like we did for Mims, don't get a top edge, don't get a top WR weapon for Wilson, skip on Center/O-line, ignore RB, draft a bunch more late-round guys thinking they'll be fine, etc.

This should be an easy draft for JD.  He just has to not screw it up.