NY JETS Draft Targets @RB

Paradis

2) Tyrion Davis-Price (LSU) 

• Big bodied back (6'1, 230) with soft hands
  • capable in Passpro, and would ideally be a COP or 3rd down back. Compliments Carter well.
  • both a threat to catch the ball, but also bulldoze in short yardage 3rd downs
  • Comp - less talented Marion Barber III

• Upvote 1

3) Bryant Koback (Toledo) 

• A good mix of size (6'0 210), hands, and contact balance. Slices through arm tackles
  • Again, good compliment to Carter & Co. And fits the cut and rip model. 
  • I just get this sense that he would be Lafleur guy, can do bit of everything

Other late names/UDFA:

• FIU's D'Vonte Price - I go back and forth with him. 6'2 220, who plays like Blount. On paper he's the perfect match to Carter... but he NEEDs momentum. Gets stoned at the LOS too often
  • PSU's John Lovett - Was one of Baylor's best backs, then opted to transfer over declaring last year and got totally lost in the shuffle. Made for this running scheme tho (Arian Foster like)
  • Wazzu's Max Borghi - bit of a one trick pony; a one cut RB with short area agility. Really good a lulling LBs into false angles.
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Paradis said:

My annual treat to y'all ?

So preface this by stating that i don't think the Jets even sniff RB till day 3; both b/c faith in Carter & the strength of the scheme (don't need hercules).... FTR I love Spiller, respect Brian Robinson, but after that, I'm not overly high on Hall, Walker, White, etc the popular names. A plodding group of backs IMO. 

**Disclaimer James Cook is the obviously late day 2 guy that i would embrace, but no need to spotlight him -- he's done it himself)

1) Pierre Strong Jr.  (South Dakota St.) 

• love his fluid running style, can also make those hard zone cuts - fits our scheme
  • Good balance and vision. 5'11 at 210
  • weak competition, but at RB it's not been a huge deterrent
  • Oozes multi-purpose potential for our O

i mentioned Spiller to you 2 years ago! if we didnt draft carter that would be my push, but ill dive into all these guys as ive looked at no rbs this year really. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Chrebetfan80 said:

i mentioned Spiller to you 2 years ago! if we didnt draft carter that would be my push, but ill dive into all these guys as ive looked at no rbs this year really. 

Yea you were right about him for sure. He's a dynamic playmaker. 

• Upvote 1

just looking at the videos you posted.  To me, and i'm certainly not an RB expert, but one thing i always look for out of rbs is how tight they stay to the hole.  Especially in this offense with all of the counters and traps.  Being able to trust your guard/tackle/te on a pull is very important.   Kobak looked the best at that, followed by Pierre.  Pierre has a little more bounce to his game which is good and annoying to me as a coach lol 

One of those kids where they bounce power and youre like "WHAT ARE YOU DOI..... OH ok he scored" lol you can get into bad habits with that though and he did show some good discipline on counter tryign to stay tight to the hole which i appreciate.  I thought Kobak was the cleanest in that regard but probably more so because that benefits his athleticism and game.  

• Sympathy 1

59 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Spiller has the receiving skills to fit the Jets O and the size to be the perfect complement to Carter. Plus, with how violent Carter runs and considering how often RBs seem to be injured, the Jets need a 1A and 1B backfield. I hope the Jets select Spiller with one of their 2 second round picks.

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Spiller has the receiving skills to fit the Jets O and the size to be the perfect complement to Carter. Plus, with how violent Carter runs and considering how often RBs seem to be injured, the Jets need a 1A and 1B backfield. I hope the Jets select Spiller with one of their 2 second round picks.

i would be surprised, I dont believe this team will be using any draft capital (late round if at all) on RB this year.  You may see someone added in FA or a UDFA but a second i would be heavily against. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

just looking at the videos you posted.  To me, and i'm certainly not an RB expert, but one thing i always look for out of rbs is how tight they stay to the hole.  Especially in this offense with all of the counters and traps.  Being able to trust your guard/tackle/te on a pull is very important.   Kobak looked the best at that, followed by Pierre.  Pierre has a little more bounce to his game which is good and annoying to me as a coach lol 

One of those kids where they bounce power and youre like "WHAT ARE YOU DOI..... OH ok he scored" lol you can get into bad habits with that though and he did show some good discipline on counter tryign to stay tight to the hole which i appreciate.  I thought Kobak was the cleanest in that regard but probably more so because that benefits his athleticism and game.  

I know what you mean. Been there. 

As far as those 3 go - they all serve different purposes. Kobach would be a true backup, your #3 or 4. Late round or UDFA.

On the other hand TDP would be a #2 who’s appeal is a compliment. He can bang it through inside the 5 and has WR hands. Some weeks could see him sharing equal snaps depending  on gamescripts. His ability out of the backfield coupled with his size makes him a very unique weapon. As an OC, you’re not showing your hand with him in the huddle. 

I see P. Strong as an intriguing true COP back and multi- purpose weapon. You talked about Deebo’s use, that flexibility focus makes Strong enticing. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Paradis said:

I know you mean. Been there. 

As far as those 3 go - they all serve different purposes. Kobach would be a true backup, your #3 or 4. Late round or UDFA.

On the other hand TDP would be a #2 who’s appeal is a compliment. He can bang it through inside the 5 and has WR hands. Some weeks could see him sharing equal snaps depending  on gamescripts. His ability out of the backfield coupled with his size makes him a very unique weapon. As an OC, you’re not showing your hand with him in the huddle. 

I see P. Strong as an intriguing true COP back and multi- purpose weapon. You talked about Deebo’s use, that flexibility focus makes Strong enticing. 

I agree we need someone to compliment Carter with another back, and i do like what TDP would allow us to do with his size, certainly nice to have that hammer of a RB for those situations and allow you to still operate the offense effectively. 

I just dont see the jets adding any RB depth in the draft.  I could see a low level FA signing or a UDFA possibly, but I just keep thinking we wont be seeing ones name called across the screen even on day 3

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

just dont see the jets adding any RB depth in the draft.  I could see a low level FA signing or a UDFA possibly, but I just keep thinking we wont be seeing ones name called across the screen even on day 3

My counter to that is, we’re running out of other positions to stock up on - later in the draft. We don’t need another swath of day 3 DBs and Dlinemen. LBs obviously yes. I suspect premium picks address OLINE, TE, S/DB and pass rush.

…one of the easiest positions to get mileage out of late picks is RB - and let’s be honest, despite homers trying to sell you on Adams, Ty Johnson, even Tevin - none of them moved the needle. At all. Trash in fact.

I feel optimistic Lafleur will submit a list of O-needs to JD for day 3 consideration. 

• Upvote 1

its possible. and I should say I do agree with you.  Outside of Carter, the rest of this crop did nothing for this team, and we could use an upgrade for sure.  Carter as good as he looked did miss a good amount of time with various things, so to get another guy in here or two to help out and share the load is ideal. 

I tend to think FA is going to be the sweet spot for improving the offense (outside of TE and OL). So I've been looking at the FA RB crop in order to see where we could add a guy or two to compliment Carter. 

Its possible if more picks are gathered in a trade down that allows more of a luxury to draft a RB, but i think if we grab a rookie its more the UDFA type than drafting a guy.   

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

My counter to that is, we’re running out of other positions to stock up on - later in the draft. We don’t need another swath of day 3 DBs and Dlinemen. LBs obviously yes. I suspect premium picks address OLINE, TE, S/DB and pass rush.

…one of the easiest positions to get mileage out of late picks is RB - and let’s be honest, despite homers trying to sell you on Adams, Ty Johnson, even Tevin - none of them moved the needle. At all. Trash in fact.

I feel optimistic Lafleur will submit a list of O-needs to JD for day 3 consideration. 

just looking at the young FA RB crop makes you think you can get guys pretty cheap. Just a few names I happened to notice who may be able to come in. 

Phillip Lindsay

Jeff Wilson

Marlon Mack

Ronald Jones

Matt Breida

Corey Clement

Boston Scott

Royce Freeman

Justin Jackson. 

Then you have the bigger names 

Gordon, Fournette, Mostert, Penny, Michel, Conner, and D'Ernest Johnson who had a nice job filling in for the browns but is an RFA. 

I get it that none of these guys are packing a huge punch for you probably but im just illustrating there ssome decent depth in the FA class this offseason which would lead me to believe they go that route over drafting an unknown. 

3 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Phillip Lindsay

Jeff Wilson

Marlon Mack

Ronald Jones

Matt Breida

Corey Clement

Boston Scott

Royce Freeman

Justin Jackson. 

Then you have the bigger names 

Gordon, Fournette, Mostert, Penny, Michel, Conner, and D'Ernest Johnson who had a nice job filling in for the browns but is an RFA. 

Your logic isn't off. It's more (to me) a matter of what fits the team at present situation/roster wise, and how you're going to divy up your roster resources.

For example, you're not gonna throw another bushel of day-3 resources at the secondary. You're just diluting the situation and putting coaching staff in a tough place to make hyper-quick assessments come time to cut to 53. they're already gonna be tasked with deciding whether or not to "hold" on Carter II, Echols, Pinnock, Guidry, and others i can't even fcking remember. 

Where i'm going with this; we've got developmental talent at many positions. Those are the ones we'll see FA $$ in my opinion.. RB is in a prime position to spend that 5th or 6th round pick, because it's so shallow. There's nothing in the oven.

IMO you can forget all those bigger names. I would like to see a Jeff Wilson or Boston Scott, but that's fleshing out the starter package. 

**Disclaimer, i generally hate spending FA money on RB... even if he's mcdonald's lunch money. 

21 hours ago, Paradis said:

My annual treat to y'all ?

So preface this by stating that i don't think the Jets even sniff RB till day 3; both b/c faith in Carter & the strength of the scheme (don't need hercules).... FTR I love Spiller, respect Brian Robinson, but after that, I'm not overly high on Hall, Walker, White, etc the popular names. A plodding group of backs IMO. 

**Disclaimer James Cook is the obviously late day 2 guy that i would embrace, but no need to spotlight him -- he's done it himself)

1) Pierre Strong Jr.  (South Dakota St.) 

• love his fluid running style, can also make those hard zone cuts - fits our scheme
  • Good balance and vision. 5'11 at 210
  • weak competition, but at RB it's not been a huge deterrent
  • Oozes multi-purpose potential for our O

Thoughts on Ford? 

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Only four day three picks right now and man the team still needs to build depth at a lot of spots - QB, RB, WR, TE, tackle, iOL, DT, edge, LB, S. Free agency and the earlier rounds will tell us a lot. I think TE, LB, and iOL are prime day three targets depending on what they do elsewhere.

I think in general RB is a position you want to be opportunistic - sixth or seventh round picks and UDFA’s who are scheme fits I’m all for, but no picks in those rounds right now. Fourth or fifth I think you want a guy who slid and in a class that’s not especially strong I wonder if guys are going to slide.

4 hours ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

Thoughts on Ford? 

Forgettable. Like Jemar Jefferson last year -- he's a "gets what's blocked" running back. Doesn't create plays that aren't already there. Expects to be tackled. 

Probably not what you wanted to hear. 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Paradis said:

Your logic isn't off. It's more (to me) a matter of what fits the team at present situation/roster wise, and how you're going to divy up your roster resources.

For example, you're not gonna throw another bushel of day-3 resources at the secondary. You're just diluting the situation and putting coaching staff in a tough place to make hyper-quick assessments come time to cut to 53. they're already gonna be tasked with deciding whether or not to "hold" on Carter II, Echols, Pinnock, Guidry, and others i can't even fcking remember. 

Where i'm going with this; we've got developmental talent at many positions. Those are the ones we'll see FA $$ in my opinion.. RB is in a prime position to spend that 5th or 6th round pick, because it's so shallow. There's nothing in the oven.

IMO you can forget all those bigger names. I would like to see a Jeff Wilson or Boston Scott, but that's fleshing out the starter package. 

**Disclaimer, i generally hate spending FA money on RB... even if he's mcdonald's lunch money. 

Yea i dont think they'll be throwing late round resources at corner, maybe safety but i think that gets addressed early on in the draft or in FA. 

I agree, and I think in theory i would prefer to draft a 5th/6th rd rb than sign one. I know they want to load through the draft this year on defense, so I expect it to be a heavy defensive side of the ball draft with OL and TE being an exception for sure.  We'll see if that extends to RBs.  Late round rbs in this draft are actually pretty decent and fit what we do so there is hope in this regard. 

To me. its not about what I want, if its up to me i agree with you i think adding another rb through the draft is a great plan, i just have a gut feeling its going to go the other way on this one. 

6 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea i dont think they'll be throwing late round resources at corner, maybe safety but i think that gets addressed early on in the draft or in FA. 

I agree, and I think in theory i would prefer to draft a 5th/6th rd rb than sign one. I know they want to load through the draft this year on defense, so I expect it to be a heavy defensive side of the ball draft with OL and TE being an exception for sure.  We'll see if that extends to RBs.  Late round rbs in this draft are actually pretty decent and fit what we do so there is hope in this regard. 

To me. its not about what I want, if its up to me i agree with you i think adding another rb through the draft is a great plan, i just have a gut feeling its going to go the other way on this one. 

I'm probably mixing in wishful thinking, but it's at least not the unrealistic brand, like spending pick #10 on G. Wilson.... 

I'm guessing or partially hoping for:

• Carter gets the RB1 designation
  • We cut ties with all the fodder. 
  • Sign a few complimentary backs to compete in TC; Jeff Smith, Jerick McKinnon, JD McKissic, (the former 2 know M.L.)
  • Draft one Day 3 back, b/c everyone needs someone in the hopper. P. Strong, Kobach, T. D-P, J. Lovett, etc

I'd feel OK going into camp with RB1 Carter, RB2/3 Smith/McKissic and RB4 T.D-P... that would be something get excited about.

• Upvote 1

The Jets absolutely have some work to do at RB. 

The only two RBs that should be back are Michael Carter ( RB1a,) and Austin Walter (competes for a spot.)

I wouldn't be pissed if they used a 2nd/3rd on a bigger guy to compliment MC. Yes, Spiller would be great.  Sorry, but young fresh beastly legs are needed. 

A young vet FA signed to replace Tevin Coleman is a must. Coleman was fine; but they will look to upgrade. 

That's four guys, and then add a day 3 pick/UDFA with one of @Paradis boys. 

Oh, and FB Nick Bawden looked pretty good in the limited time we saw him. Bring him back. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, Paradis said:

Other late names/UDFA:

• FIU's D'Vonte Price - I go back and forth with him. 6'2 220, who plays like Blount. On paper he's the perfect match to Carter... but he NEEDs momentum. Gets stoned at the LOS too often
  • PSU's John Lovett - Was one of Baylor's best backs, then opted to transfer over declaring last year and got totally lost in the shuffle. Made for this running scheme tho (Arian Foster like)
  • Wazzu's Max Borghi - bit of a one trick pony; a one cut RB with short area agility. Really good a lulling LBs into false angles.

I still haven’t looked into him, but on Dane Bruglers podcast they were saying Price is a perfect fit for the wide zone. They were kind of raving about him as a later round pick. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

I still haven’t looked into him, but on Dane Bruglers podcast they were saying Price is a perfect fit for the wide zone. They were kind of raving about him as a later round pick. 

I'll be interested to hear what you think. I had an early crush on him, but i've seen reeled it in a bit. I think he's going to be a change of pace guy. He's Rhamondre Stevenson without the dancing bear feet. The mitigating angle is FIU's awful oline

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'm probably mixing in wishful thinking, but it's at least not the unrealistic brand, like spending pick #10 on G. Wilson.... 

I'm guessing or partially hoping for:

• Carter gets the RB1 designation
  • We cut ties with all the fodder. 
  • Sign a few complimentary backs to compete in TC; Jeff Smith, Jerick McKinnon, JD McKissic, (the former 2 know M.L.)
  • Draft one Day 3 back, b/c everyone needs someone in the hopper. P. Strong, Kobach, T. D-P, J. Lovett, etc

I'd feel OK going into camp with RB1 Carter, RB2/3 Smith/McKissic and RB4 T.D-P... that would be something get excited about.

Yea i think thats a solid room.  I do think you'll see a little house cleaning of the RB room for sure.  Maybe Walter sticks through camp, possibly Ty Johnson although the drops this year are so annoying. 

But yea overall i think if that was the plan id be totally behind that.  I do think its a little bit of wishful thinking like you said but i wouldn't be surprised if the actuality of what happens isn't far off. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

We need a between-the-tackles “thunder” to our “lightning”. 

I like the Michigan back, Haskins. 

I hate to be a contrarian, but Haskins to me is a less talented M. Carter. I know, he's listed at 6'0 and 220 or something - but i think the guy who recorded those numbers was on acid. He certainly doesn't play like it. If it's Thunder you're after - have a peek at D. Price (FIU) and T. Davis-Price (LSU)... share your thoughts. And compare them on film to Haskins... (because you have nothing better to do, i know)

4 hours ago, Chrebetfan80 said:

Yea i think thats a solid room.  I do think you'll see a little house cleaning of the RB room for sure.  Maybe Walter sticks through camp, possibly Ty Johnson although the drops this year are so annoying. 

But yea overall i think if that was the plan id be totally behind that.  I do think its a little bit of wishful thinking like you said but i wouldn't be surprised if the actuality of what happens isn't far off. 

There's always wishful thinking in this forum! lol... but I can't be that far off. Rob/Mike gave the incumbents some benefit of the doubt last year -- but i hardly think that'll be the case this year. Walter/Johnson and company may get the paid ticket to Training Camp but they'll be fighting an up hill battle to stick vs Carter/FA/FA/Draftee. Johnson has some talent but can't put it together for 16, err 17 games....that ship has sailed. Walter has an edge to land on the PS imo

• Upvote 1

On 1/18/2022 at 8:14 PM, Paradis said:

Other late names/UDFA:

Even when there’s nobody from Baylor you still manage to hype up a Baylor guy haha.