How can the Jets NOT trade down

Wit

I’m looking at the mock drafts, and it almost makes no sense for the jets NOT to trade down and get an extra second or two and another first this year. They should trade down BOTH picks. 

we don’t need the very best tackle. We need a WR, a center, TE, safeties, desperately need a QB linebacker like dean for this defense. Trading down will allow us to get some very good players to surround Zach with and start rebuilding this defense. 
I get not trading down last year so we could get a QB, but other than edge ( looks like we missed out in the two “can’t miss” guys anyways) there is no one that is worthy of the number four pick that we have a desperate need for. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'll tell you how. If some other team doesn't want to trade up or provide value for trading up. That's how.

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

If JD doesn't force another GM at gun point to trade down imma lose my sh*t

Ok, assuming someone wants to trade up you agree that it’s worth it. 

Just now, rldev said:

I have never seen more hyped up edge rushers. People talk like Watt and Bosa are there.

Because a few years ago Thib was destroying the college football world as a freshman, so now everybody is convinced he's the next best DL in the league after he gets drafted. That might be true, but history has shown that DL don't play out as often as many would hope.

Hutchinson had a good year too, but I don't think they will be at the Watt and Bosa level.

It takes two to tango, not just magic act where JD says ok give me an extra 1st round pick for next year! Jets fans keep talking about trading down are going to be seriously disappointed. I’d give it like a 5% chance of happen 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

I'll tell you how. If some other team doesn't want to trade up or provide value for trading up. That's how.

This is where the whole situation gets very interesting - when you talk about "value"

The price to move up when there are top QBs is more then the price is or should be this year.  If carolina wants a QB and in other years teams have paid a future 1st and a 3rd but they are offering a 2nd in 2022 and a 2nd in 2023 and when we look at the board we are confident our guy will be there at 6 then who cares if the media is gonna say the trade wasnt a "good value".

This draft may not have an elite QB or OT but it is full of potential pass rushers, a few good off ball LBs, and a bunch of TEs  - all positions we need.  On top of that, we can find OL to develop and another RB in the 3rd/4th round which we also need.

I hope we dont hold out for a haul of picks that doesnt materialize instead of doing whats best for the organization.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

This sounds like a pretty huge exaggeration. I’d like to see the 10 names. 

Agreed.  

• Lawrence, maybe Wilson, Lance and/or Fields if any one of them was in this draft.
  • Sewell (maybe)

That's pretty much all I've got. 

Pitts - TE isn't going #1

Chase - in retrospect, sure...but really rare for a WR to go #1 as well.

That's it as far as I can see.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'll try to guess:

Lawrence

Wilson

Lance

Fields

Mac

Chase

Pitts

Sewell

Parsons

Waddle?

Not sure if that's it but just off the top of the head.

I would agree with probably 6-7 of them. 

I’d say the QBs, (Although it’s hard to take a QB number 1 overall with the physical attributes of Mac Jones), Chase, and Sewell are all probably a yes - not sure about anyone else 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I’d say the QBs, (Although it’s hard to take a QB number 1 overall with the physical attributes of Mac Jones), Chase, and Sewell are all probably a yes - not sure about anyone else 

Slater and Parsons probably also. Surtain was very highly regarded pre draft so maybe him too. It was kind of a shock the panthers took horn ahead of him. 

If nobody is looking to give away picks to move up its not happeninimg.  Some seem to think that all JD has to do is decide he wants to trade down and it will happen.  Easily. 

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Slater and Parsons probably also. Surtain was very highly regarded pre draft so maybe him too. It was kind of a shock the panthers took horn ahead of him. 

Slater yes. 

A guy like Parsons gets hurt by his position. Hard to draft a straight LB at number 1 overall. 

tbh, the same is true for the WRs. A WR hasn’t gone number 1 overall since Keyshawn, right? 

9 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Slater yes. 

A guy like Parsons gets hurt by his position. Hard to draft a straight LB at number 1 overall. 

tbh, the same is true for the WRs. A WR hasn’t gone number 1 overall since Keyshawn, right? 

Ehh Parsons is a better edge than hutch and thib. He’s not a straight lb. If a team just lined him up at edge he’s a better prospect than both of them.  Especially if they run a 3-4

im 99% confident that chase would go #1 in this draft. Dude was unstoppable at lsu the only question mark was that he opted out last year. 

49 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yea completely agree. I was reaching to find the 10 haha

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Ehh Parsons is a better edge than hutch and thib. He’s not a straight lb. If a team just lined him up at edge he’s a better prospect than both of them.  Especially if they run a 3-4

im 99% confident that chase would go #1 in this draft. Dude was unstoppable at lsu the only question mark was that he opted out last year. 

I wasn’t even thinking about a 3-4 because I’m in Jets mode, so good point. Still not convinced he’d go number 1 overall, but it’s an interesting discussion. 

The more I think about it, the more I’m unsure about Chase. Not even Calvin Johnson went number 1 overall back in 2007 and he was the most hyped WR prospect of my lifetime. There were people who didn’t even think Chase should have been the first WR taken last year (how wrong they were)

On the flip side, the jags have the top pick and they desperately need help at WR, so maybe you are right. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Agreed.  

• Lawrence, maybe Wilson, Lance and/or Fields if any one of them was in this draft.
  • Sewell (maybe)

That's pretty much all I've got. 

Pitts - TE isn't going #1

Chase - in retrospect, sure...but really rare for a WR to go #1 as well.

That's it as far as I can see.

@Paradis:  “The f**k he isn’t.”

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

Let’s say for arguments sake there are no trade ups for a QB in the top 4. It’ll be Hutch, Thibs, and Neal in no particular order with the first 3 picks. With the Jets locked in at 4 the answer is simple. With no standout prospects in this draft, go with best player on the board regardless of position. To me there are two players that fit that criteria. Hamilton or Stingley.

• Sad 1