How can the Jets NOT trade down

Wit

15 minutes ago, long time suffering Jets f said:

Let’s say for arguments sake there are no trade ups for a QB in the top 4. It’ll be Hutch, Thibs, and Neal in no particular order with the first 3 picks. With the Jets locked in at 4 the answer is simple. With no standout prospects in this draft, go with best player on the board regardless of position. To me there are two players that fit that criteria. Hamilton or Stingley.

I think that Houston will be the key to who ends up being available (assuming, like you, that there are no trade ups).

I highly doubt Jax go Edge, based on their recent drafting at that position and bigger needs elsewhere - I see them being the most likely candidates to take Neal, even if he's not seen as the best value player at #1 overall.

Detroit on the other hand seem like a lock to go Edge - glaring need, best draft value.

Houston I'm not so clear on - if they want the value pick then they may go Edge, or maybe S if Hamilton is seen as the best overall prospect. They could also look at CB if Stingley is seen as being "all that". if they don't go Edge then we get either Thibs or Hutchinson in this scenario. If they do ... not sure who the Jets pick at #4, but I'm sure "meaningless wins" will get flogged to death. :-)  

7 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I wasn’t even thinking about a 3-4 because I’m in Jets mode, so good point. Still not convinced he’d go number 1 overall, but it’s an interesting discussion. 

The more I think about it, the more I’m unsure about Chase. Not even Calvin Johnson went number 1 overall back in 2007 and he was the most hyped WR prospect of my lifetime. There were people who didn’t even think Chase should have been the first WR taken last year (how wrong they were)

On the flip side, the jags have the top pick and they desperately need help at WR, so maybe you are right. 

It’s definitely a fun thing to think about because no one knows for sure. 

thinking back to the raiders taking Jamarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson makes me laugh. He probably would have retired even earlier if he was with them lol 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, David Harris said:

There will be good players available. No point in stressing the crop when you have no control over it.  Scout and pick the best guy you can. That’s all you can do.

Your 100% right, but it’s just so fitting that the jets would have so much capital in a year that the class was weak 

6 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Your 100% right, but it’s just so fitting that the jets would have so much capital in a year that the class was weak 

Remember though that the strength of this draft is seen as being in its depth rather than the top end talent. Our extra draft capital on Day 2 and 3 are potentially more important than our Day 1 assets in this scenario. We have the potential to upgrade about 5 or 6 starter positions through this draft (in addition to picking up some much needed depth).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jamesr said:

Remember though that the strength of this draft is seen as being in its depth rather than the top end talent. Our extra draft capital on Day 2 and 3 are potentially more important than our Day 1 assets in this scenario. We have the potential to upgrade about 5 or 6 starter positions through this draft (in addition to picking up some much needed depth).

Nice to know. Still would be nice if there were some game changers up top 

11 hours ago, Hex said:

If there's no offers, which is pretty likely. Everybody probably wants to trade down.

This is exactly right. This seems like a year where everyone will be looking to potentially trade down and save money + get future assets. JD is not a guy who is going to give anything away, if anything he will wait for a team to fall in love with a guy and overreact while the jets are on the clock…dont see it happening any other way.

As I think about this more I think that the Jets should focus in this draft more on drafting players that they think will be successful and not value positions etc.  We don’t need another Vernon Gholston pick.  

The Jets could use a player at virtually every position.  If they think Kyle Hamilton will be successful in their defense, he obviously fills a need, and a FA there would cost 50% more.  Take him.  We can use a RG and swing tackle.  Ekwonu will be there.  Take him if he is most likely to be a contributing player.  He would cost the same as Moses would.  

• Upvote 1

If Kenny Pickett shoots up with some pre-draft hype, maybe there will be a trade partner.  If Neal, Thibs or Hutch fall, maybe there is a trade partner but, in that scenario, it's a tough decision because IMO those are the only 3 elite prospects in this draft.  Everyone else in that range is blah and if the 3 elite are off and Pickett doesnt rise, there wont be a ton of trade activity going on and we're stuck and honestly, I have no clue right now what to do. 

All I can say is, where the Jets are drafting, testing matters but if a guy like Ojabo is the freak I think he is, you have to consider him at #4.  This reminds me of 2017 a little bit, there isnt a consensus top end QB (the league and people are stupid and was pumping Trubisky over Mahomes/Watson claiming they were 3rd round prospect in any other draft) and the way the draft could fall, the Jets might be stuck looking at safety as BAP again.  Well, I remember distinctly knowing damn well Big Mac wasnt going QB because he the Hackenator! and it was me and @Matt39 pounding the table for T.J. Watt because he had the production (albeit one year, just like Ojabo) coupled with the testing.  

If Ojabo is that guy, I like him 10x better than Karlaftis who doesnt like, you know, get sacks. 

• Upvote 2

There isn't going to be the same value this year as others to move up and that's ok. If we find a willing trade partner, that is our best option at this point depending on FA and the 1st 3 picks. I would think that JD will make the calls he seems to do all the time and have something lined up if it's available. Future #1's would be nice, but I think that we need players now, so I'd rather trade for 2nd and 3rd rounders this year to accompany the move down the board in the 1st.

The mocks I see all differ. I don’t think the first 3 are set, especially at this point in the year. The Jet’s will have options. If nothing else, we have so many needs that the right player is more likely to be available where we pick. Someone, likely a QB, will shoot up the board. Also, as someone else pointed out, Houston remains a wildcard. 

36 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Nice to know. Still would be nice if there were some game changers up top 

I'm hoping that there are and it's just that they're not so clear cut as they usually seem to be. Time for GMs to show what they're made of and find those game changers.

• Upvote 1

I find it fascinating that the same people who are proclaiming that this draft is weak, there are no premier QBs, and the edge rushers are no Bosa or Watt are the same people who will say the draft is a crap shoot and you never know where the next late round pick or UDFA becomes an absolute star. Wayne Chrebet, Richie Anderson and Braxton Berrios are three examples off the top of my head for the Jets alone. The reality is that there are guys like Ryan Leaf, David Carr, and Vince Young who are all world in college, get taken high in the draft and totally bust and there are guys like Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, and Mark Brunell who get little hype and are considered average to not draftable who become stars. Who's to say that Kenny Pickett, Matt Corral, Malik Willis, Desmond Rider, and Carson Strong wont all (or at least some) be real good QBs? 

Trade Down!!!

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

It feels like the Jets were in a similar position when they drafted Vernon Gholston. They just couldn’t trade out of the spot. 

I went back and looked at that draft and there was one QB that went in round 1 (Joe Flacco) at #18 (after a trade up with Houston). Brian Bromme and Chad Henne went late in round two. After that nothing. Just from memory, and being a little more knowledgeable about the draft currently, I think the the 2022 QB prospects are much better than the prospects of the draft of 2008 where we took Gholston

• Sympathy 1

58 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

If Kenny Pickett shoots up with some pre-draft hype, maybe there will be a trade partner.  If Neal, Thibs or Hutch fall, maybe there is a trade partner but, in that scenario, it's a tough decision because IMO those are the only 3 elite prospects in this draft.  Everyone else in that range is blah and if the 3 elite are off and Pickett doesnt rise, there wont be a ton of trade activity going on and we're stuck and honestly, I have no clue right now what to do. 

All I can say is, where the Jets are drafting, testing matters but if a guy like Ojabo is the freak I think he is, you have to consider him at #4.  This reminds me of 2017 a little bit, there isnt a consensus top end QB (the league and people are stupid and was pumping Trubisky over Mahomes/Watson claiming they were 3rd round prospect in any other draft) and the way the draft could fall, the Jets might be stuck looking at safety as BAP again.  Well, I remember distinctly knowing damn well Big Mac wasnt going QB because he the Hackenator! and it was me and @Matt39 pounding the table for T.J. Watt because he had the production (albeit one year, just like Ojabo) coupled with the testing.  

If Ojabo is that guy, I like him 10x better than Karlaftis who doesnt like, you know, get sacks. 

I’d take him at 4 probably. Would definitely draft him over Karalftis and Thibodeux. I like the receiver from USC at 10.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, slimjasi said:

This sounds like a pretty huge exaggeration. I’d like to see the 10 names. 

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

for those that have been following draft threads this will not be news, for those that are nerds like me -- i've been saying this is the worst draft class w/respect to premier talent  in over a decade. (fitting the Jets have ALL the picks)

So yes. 10 is maybe even conservative. 

9 minutes ago, Paradis said:

for those that have been following draft threads this will not be news, for those that are nerds like me -- i've been saying this is the worst draft class w/respect to premier talent  in over a decade. (fitting the Jets have ALL the picks)

So yes. 10 is maybe even conservative. 

If 10 is the number then it's like we're picking #14 and #20 this year (if in last year's draft class). 

image.thumb.png.4188bec1e85b1f78bcdcdafe77de63e8.png

5 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If 10 is the number then it's like we're picking #14 and #20 this year (if in last year's draft class). 

image.thumb.png.4188bec1e85b1f78bcdcdafe77de63e8.png

Yes, looks about right. I mean, there will always be arguments for this or that -- but the take away is, picking @10 this year, is more like picking at 20-25 in other drafts. 

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

@T0mShane @JiFapono

pass rushers are there if you look hard enough 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I’d take him at 4 probably. Would definitely draft him over Karalftis and Thibodeux. I like the receiver from USC at 10.

The thing to remember about these edge rushers is that opinions on them will change drastically after the Combine. 

This goes for all positions, but is particularly true for edge.