Kiper Chat

nycdan

No nonsense.  Pretty interesting takes from Kiper.

Biggest surprise to me:  He has Drake London as his clear #1 WR.  Likes him at #10 to Jets.  He had Williams up there as well before the injury.  Sounds like he sees a gap after that to the next tier.

Said the top 2 QBs - Willis and Pickett clearly behind the top-5 from last year but both could go top-15.  

Sees the two Edges going 1-2.

Likes Sauce Gardner as much or more than Stingley because of size and the fact that he played the past two years.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Paradis said:

well the McBride dream is dimming. Not surprised, he's a baller and his competition is torn ACLs

In a scenario they go defense/defense they have the capital to go get McBride. Guess the importance depends on what they do in FA. 

Also a chance the depth of the tight end class pushes him down a little. Probably more valuable for a team with a young QB than other late R1 teams. I think Kiper mocked him to the Packers - pretty sure people have been mocking a late first round tight end to the Packers for most of the last decade.

36 minutes ago, derp said:

Is Wydermyer actually a better blocker?

Right now definitely. His receiving upside isn’t as high as mcbrides though. He’s still a good athlete. The CS might like him more because they prioritize blocking so much but who knows. If you watched the SF Dallas game kittle was blocking almost the entire first half 

29 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Right now definitely. His receiving upside isn’t as high as mcbrides though. He’s still a good athlete. The CS might like him more because they prioritize blocking so much but who knows. If you watched the SF Dallas game kittle was blocking almost the entire first half 

What makes you say that - reading or watching? I haven’t dug into watching both players myself yet but the significant majority of I’ve read indicates Wydermyer is pretty raw as a blocker and McBride is competent to very good. Think Ruckert is the best of the group as a blocker anyway.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

What makes you say that - reading or watching? I haven’t dug into watching both players myself yet but the significant majority of I’ve read indicates Wydermyer is pretty raw as a blocker and McBride is competent to very good. Think Ruckert is the best of the group as a blocker anyway.

For what it's worth, I've seen every A&M game since I married an Aggie 3 years ago.

Wydermyer can block, he has a bigger thicker frame, good hands, not elite speed or agility.   More of an old school tight end.  More Jason Whitten than Tony Gonzalez.   (No, I am not saying he will have the career of either of those 2 players).

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, derp said:

A little bit of both. I watched a few full Texas A&M games just focusing on Wydermeyer. While blocking on the line he does a pretty good job taking on ends/lbs. His issue seems to be when he gets in space he gets hesitant and doesn’t know who to block which is coachable.. 

Here’s him against S Carolina. There’s a few not so great blocks in the first couple minutes, but those are mostly in space. As the game gets going his blocking seems to get better.  This is good for a short clip, but it’s better to try and find a full Texas A&M offense vs X defensive video to get a bigger picture. 

22 minutes ago, chirorob said:

For what it's worth, I've seen every A&M game since I married an Aggie 3 years ago.

Wydermyer can block, he has a bigger thicker frame, good hands, not elite speed or agility.   More of an old school tight end.  More Jason Whitten than Tony Gonzalez.   (No, I am not saying he will have the career of either of those 2 players).

19 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

A little bit of both. I watched a few full Texas A&M games just focusing on Wydermeyer. While blocking on the line he does a pretty good job taking on ends/lbs. His issue seems to be when he gets in space he gets hesitant and doesn’t know who to block which is coachable.. 

Here’s him against S Carolina. There’s a few not so great blocks in the first couple minutes, but those are mostly in space. As the game gets going his blocking seems to get better.  This is good for a short clip, but it’s better to try and find a full Texas A&M offense vs X defensive video to get a bigger picture. 

This is all reasonable but kind of jives with the idea he was asked to block and gives effort but needs technical work which is the prevailing opinion I’ve seen. And none of it indicates he’s definitely a better blocker than McBride.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kipper like Ekwonu. And I’ve thought the safe, smart pick for the Jets at #4 if both Edge rushers are gone is to take an OT like Ekwonu or Neal.  It may feel a tiny bit early but as we’ve learned you can never have enough good OTs.  Becton is s wild card, Moses might be gone, Fant has one year left.

Either Ekwonu or Neal at #4.  Premium position, high floor guys, area of need for the Jets.  Let’s not overthink it.

7A555DDD-68AB-45DE-803C-759F05396202.thumb.jpeg.d0a31a339e8ebfa891f51ea0a36c2edd.jpeg

Wants to be great.  Works hard.  Passionate about the game of football.  Yeah I’d say he’s definitely in contention at 4

• Upvote 4

24 minutes ago, derp said:

This is all reasonable but kind of jives with the idea he was asked to block and gives effort but needs technical work which is the prevailing opinion I’ve seen. And none of it indicates he’s definitely a better blocker than McBride.

I know NOTHING about McBride.   Absolutely 0. 

I do think Wydermyer can be a good, all around tight end at the next level.  That does not mean he will be better or worse than McBride.  That being said, A&M had awful problems at the QB position this year, and ran the ball a lot, so he has blocked.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Wants to be great.  Works hard.  Passionate about the game of football.  Yeah I’d say he’s definitely in contention at 4

Quote from an article about him sometime before this past season:

“I just love playing football, if I’m being real,” he said. “So, I just give it 110 percent and I think it shows on the field: attack everything ‘till the whistle blows. I’ve been playing with that mindset since Pop Warner. That’s just always been my personality. Give everything 110 percent.”

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, derp said:

Quote from an article about him sometime before this past season:

“I just love playing football, if I’m being real,” he said. “So, I just give it 110 percent and I think it shows on the field: attack everything ‘till the whistle blows. I’ve been playing with that mindset since Pop Warner. That’s just always been my personality. Give everything 110 percent.”

If Saleh and JD are serious about having a culture of guys that “love ball” then this guy seems to be not getting enough attention as a possibility at 4.

• Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

He also is a mauler with a high pancake/knockdown rate I believe reading somewhere. I think there's a real possibility they go that way and slot him in as a starting guard and be tackle insurance to possibly be a starting tackle.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Going down a 12 personnel rabbit hole, your assessment speaks to Wydermyer fitting into that Y role and we need both that inline guy and your more McBride-like F/move TE.  …it’s nice when there’s some interchangeability between the two, but you lose some of the dynamic potential when your Joker flex guy has a lower ceiling. 

I’m going Marilyn Chambers deep this weekend on these guys; finally feel like it’s gonna be MY time 

• Upvote 2

50 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Going down a 12 personnel rabbit hole, your assessment speaks to Wydermyer fitting into that Y role and we need both that inline guy and your more McBride-like F/move TE.  …it’s nice when there’s some interchangeability between the two, but you lose some of the dynamic potential when your Joker flex guy has a lower ceiling. 

I’m going Marilyn Chambers deep this weekend on these guys; finally feel like it’s gonna be MY time 

Greg Dulcich season