I'm warming up to Hamilton. Did someone say he might move to LB?

HighPitch

I also am leaning more to Kyle Hamilton at #4

Was against this pick, but listening to knowledgeable YouTube Jets content (and not the beat writers) has got me rethinking this point . When you have an opportunity to draft a player that experts are saying is the best in the last 20 years you do it in a heartbeat. Hamilton could change the way that our defense plays and is so valuable because he can play almost anywhere. Being versatile seems to be right up Joe Douglas is alley. Love this pick at 4 even without a trade down.

22 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jets can't use #4 pick on someone on D who doesn't rush the qb.  

Looking at multiple mock drafts there seems to be a real good chance that worthy edge rushers will be there at the top of the second round.

Kyle Hamilton is considered the best safety to come out in 20 years. I read one article that believes he is the top prospect ever at the position. We got cute at the end of the first round one year when we desperately needed safety help. We took Brian Thomas who was good and passed on Ed Reed. We took safety John MCGraw in the second round who was eh. 

It is an interesting argument at least

• Upvote 1

Just now, Copernicus said:

Looking at multiped mock drafts there seems to be a real good chance that worthy edge rushers will be there at the top of the second round.

Kyle Hamilton is considered the best safety to come out in 20 years. I read one article that believes he is the top prospect ever at the position. We got cute at the end of the first round one year when we desperately needed safety help. We took Brian Thomas who was good and passed on Ed Reed. We took safety John MCGraw in the second round who was eh. 

it would be ironic to trade adams and then take a safety.  i just doubt it happens.  pass rushers, wr and maybe an OL again.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who said he's the best safety prospect in 20 years?  And if that's the case, who was this prospect 20 years ago?  Sean Taylor?  I've only watched a bit of ND and Hamilton definitely makes plays but I dont see anything that says he's better than Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick who went 17 and 11, respectively.  Hell, I cant even think of a safety going top 5, like, ever.  Adams was 6th and a terrible pick.  Eric Ried is the only one that comes to mind, and he want 5th.

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-kyle-hamilton-is-the-best-safety-prospect-ever

"The term “generational talent” gets thrown around far too often, but every once in a while, a player deserves that title. In the 2021 NFL draft, one player, in particular, stands out among his peers: Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton."

• Upvote 1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-kyle-hamilton-is-the-best-safety-prospect-ever

"The term “generational talent” gets thrown around far too often, but every once in a while, a player deserves that title. In the 2021 NFL draft, one player, in particular, stands out among his peers: Notre Dame safety Kyle Hamilton."

I want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon every time I see the word "generational" next to a prospect.  There is nothing generational about Kyle Hamilton.  lol

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

Looking at multiple mock drafts there seems to be a real good chance that worthy edge rushers will be there at the top of the second round.
Have you seen tape that supports this claim ? I see a very good player ... but not ed reed.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Ed Reed went 24th overall.  

Yes, my point is that we passed on a HOF player that was worthy of taking at 23 for a DL and a 2nd round safety that were both meh.

My initial reaction to the Jets even entertaining the idea of a safety at 4 was "absolutely not."

Doing some more research just has me thinking otherwise. I may change my opinion but right now I am really liking the idea of Hamilton at 4, Dean at 10, and edge with our high 2nd, and Oline or TE with our lower 2nd.

But again, that's today

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I want to gouge my eyes out with a spoon every time I see the word "generational" next to a prospect.  There is nothing generational about Kyle Hamilton.  lol

Me too. And the Jamal Adams pick is too way too fresh in my mind as well. The more i read about Hamilton the more I like. Totally different player than Adams. Just has me thinking

• Sad 1

Yes, my point is that we passed on a HOF player that was worthy of taking at 23 for a DL and a 2nd round safety that were both meh.
My initial reaction to the Jets even entertaining the idea of a safety at 4 was "absolutely not."
Doing some more research just has me thinking otherwise. I may change my opinion but right now I am really liking the idea of Hamilton at 4, Dean at 10, and edge with our high 2nd, and Oline or TE with our lower 2nd.
But again, that's today

Ill give you this .. you would fit right in at the 1 jets drive draft room.

Why overthink this?

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

1 minute ago, Copernicus said:

But again, that's today

Ed Reed is one of my top 3 favorite Football players of all time.  I love that dude.  I remember literally celebrating because I didnt think there was a chance we'd pass on him and boom, Bryan Thomas w/ J. Abe and Shaun Ellis roster.  I dont see Hamilton anywhere near Reed, Reed was a 4-year starter, had 9 INT's and 2 TD's his senior year.  That's a generational talent, selected 24th overall. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

Me too. And the Jamal Adams pick is too way too fresh in my mind as well. The more i read about Hamilton the more I like. Totally different player than Adams. Just has me thinking

I will grant your permission to think about it but just dont pray for it.

• Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

jets can't use #4 pick on someone on D who doesn't rush the qb.  

If you can pick the 49'ers Fred Warner at 4 you do it.  Our defense needs a Warner type that puts everyone in the right position and plays the run and the pass well.  If JD and company think Hamilton can do that for this defense I'm okay with that pick at 4.  Watching him play I see a fast LB with range who can cover pretty well and big enough to play the run.

Granted, if he is just a really good Safety I'm not sure the pick is worth it.

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, rtnelson said:

If you can pick the 49'ers Fred Warner at 4 you do it.  Our defense needs a Warner type that puts everyone in the right position and plays the run and the pass well.  If JD and company think Hamilton can do that for this defense I'm okay with that pick at 4.  Watching him play I see a fast LB with range who can cover pretty well and big enough to play the run.

Granted, if he is just a really good Safety I'm not sure the pick is worth it.

it's picks like hamilton that have put the jets where they are, taking DL for 6 yrs in a row in the top 10.

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Agreed.  A couple things are pushing the Hamilton hype.  One is a weak draft class, the other is that a lot of the draft Twitter-sphere thinks they are having some rare nuanced take by proclaiming a safety as one of the “best” prospects in the draft.  Hamilton is a nice safety prospect, his size makes him a rare prospect for that position, but not a “generational” one.   

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

it's picks like hamilton that have put the jets where they are, taking DL for 6 yrs in a row in the top 10.

If Hutch, Thibs and Neal aren't there I'm not really sure what type of pick you're looking for to "break the trend" as it were.  I don't see an offensive playmaker or EDGE that is more of a sure fire good player.  But it is still early days. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

How do these correlate? The team is baron at safety which is the complete opposite of the dt fiasco  

39 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who said he's the best safety prospect in 20 years?  And if that's the case, who was this prospect 20 years ago?  Sean Taylor?  I've only watched a bit of ND and Hamilton definitely makes plays but I dont see anything that says he's better than Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick who went 17 and 11, respectively.  Hell, I cant even think of a safety going top 5, like, ever.  Adams was 6th and a terrible pick.  Eric Ried is the only one that comes to mind, and he went 5th.

For whatever it's worth - Sporting News calls him one of the most complete, intimidating safety prospects EVER...

Kyle Hamilton, S, Notre Dame (6-4, 220 pounds)

Hamilton is smart and physical. He has the instincts and athleticism to diagnose plays and react quickly to make plays all over the field vs. run and pass. He's one of the most complete, intimidating safety prospects ever.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-prospects-2022-player-rankings-big-board/15xmexshw7ywc1u9ijg32sjwhr

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

How do these correlate? The team is baron at safety which is the complete opposite of the dt fiasco  

The risk you take when you draft these type of guys is that they really need to be elite at their position for the pick to workout. 

Isaiah Simmons who I think is a decent comp to Hamilton is a good player, but isn’t a top 5 LB in the NFL. That’s what you are looking for when you draft that position in the top 10. 

• Upvote 1

The reoccurring theme I keep hearing about on this board is whining about having 2 first round picks and nobody to draft because its a "weak" draft.

We have to accept that this draft is not ideal and move on. We have to forget about history and draft numbers/positions.

• Upvote 1

To be fair I don’t understand how anyone can say Jamal Adams was a bad pick. The Jets got two pro bowl and one All Pro year out of him and then traded him for two more firsts and a third.

Should they have drafted Mahomes and Watson? Sure, but a lot of teams missed on those guys. Adams was actually one of the best Jet draft picks I can recall. 

Would you rather draft Jamal or a slug like Becton who plays a premium position?

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

For example, thibs/hutch are the considered the best 2 edge guys. BUT, thats THIS draft. 

Let's say you get Hutch at 4. He plays JAG level. Seriously.... like QW good but not spectacular. Meanwhile, the team that snagged Hamilton at say 9 is very happy. He's tackling all over the field, a few sacks and making plays. pro bowl selection....

Are you going to whine about how we blew it by taking Hutch when we should have taken a pro bowler in Hamilton? Just because of history and draft position?

IDK I dont pretend to have the answers but if these edge guys are overhyped Id rather do (assuming hamilton is as advertised):

1. hamilton

1b.. london/burks

2a. Jermaine johnson

2b. OT 

3. TE

If Jermaine Johnson as an early second produces about what hutch/karlaftis/ojabu produces then this is the right direction

44 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who said he's the best safety prospect in 20 years?  And if that's the case, who was this prospect 20 years ago?  Sean Taylor?  I've only watched a bit of ND and Hamilton definitely makes plays but I dont see anything that says he's better than Derwin James and Minkah Fitzpatrick who went 17 and 11, respectively.  Hell, I cant even think of a safety going top 5, like, ever.  Adams was 6th and a terrible pick.  Eric Ried is the only one that comes to mind, and he went 5th.

I think the challenge with simply evaluating the rank at which a player is taken is that this year, there appear to be no QBs or skill players in the top 5 range.

In past drafts, you'd expect something like 2-3 of QB / RB taken in the top 10, with an Edge, maybe a WR, maybe an OT to round out the top 5. We're not seeing that this year (at this point anyways). That pushes prospects to be picked earlier given the weaker talent. 

From what I've seen, this year, we're expecting possibly no QBs in the top 5, and maybe 2 in the top 10 (when was the last time that happened!?). No WR or RB in the top 5, maybe 1 or 2 in the top 10. 

Just taking a look at Walterfootball right now, they have two mock drafts going (Walter's and Charlie's). In Charlie's mock we have, in the top 10:

• 5 defensive linemen
  • 3 offensive linemen
  • 1 CB
  • 1 WR

This feels like a very atypical draft. Safety at 4 is not necessarily too high a pick, it's that the lack of higher level talent at premium positions is pushing higher level talent at less important positions higher up the draftboards.

That being said, I do not believe safety should be the pick given how much the team needs help in other positions.

• Upvote 2