Jump to content

Kiper 4 and 10


Peace Frog
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Didn't watch whole thing.....does Mel have Burks in the 1st rd? 

No.

London at 10, Wilson at 13 to Browns, Olave to Eagles at 19, Williams to NE at 21, Dotson to Fins at 26.

And goddamit Trey McBride to GB at 32.  

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

IMO the earliest JD will even consider using a pick on a WR is the second round.  And he'll only do it if someone with a first round grade falls to him. He has said time and time again that he is building the Jets to compete at the line of scrimmage. So, he's gonna build from the inside out. Expect a DE, OL and/or LB with the first round picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Sonny Werblin said:

IMO the earliest JD will even consider using a pick on a WR is the second round.  And he'll only do it if someone with a first round grade falls to him. He has said time and time again that he is building the Jets to compete at the line of scrimmage. So, he's gonna build from the inside out. Expect a DE, OL and/or LB with the first round picks. 

I think that you're right and this is probably likely so JD needs to do his work and find those 2nd-3rd-4th round guys that can be a standout.  Burks (if he's there), Pickens, Bell, Ezukamna, Pierce, etc.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Listening to Greeny now.

He's projecting Hamilton at the 4 and Drake London at the 10.

Said first QB won't come off the board until 11 (Milik Willis) but could go anywhere from 8-15.

1-2-3 Hutch, Thibs, Neal.

 

🤮🤮🤮

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Listening to Greeny now.

He's projecting Hamilton at the 4 and Drake London at the 10.

Said first QB won't come off the board until 11 (Milik Willis) but could go anywhere from 8-15.

1-2-3 Hutch, Thibs, Neal.

 

We may not see the QB fever of last year, but I would bet the house at least one QB will be taken before the 10th pick.

Lions, Texans, Panthers, Giants, Broncos all need QBs of the future. (not to mention potential trade ups).

If any of them fall in full-bloom love - they will take one. And they will take him earlier than you think.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Not my picks.  This is Mel.  

I think Wilson goes before 10, I like both London and Burks but at 10 not so sure which is why I'd lkke to trade back.  But it's not happening.   

We'll see but I am expecting our offensive holes, WR and TE get filled in free agency before the draft. 

Mocks are always fun but everything will change after free agency and the combine. 

  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, HighPitch said:

Kiper has better draft opinions than all jets Gms for the last 20 years....

 

15 minutes ago, JTJet said:

That bar is EXTREMELY low. 

I've always said.... if we just took "Next Best Player" per Kiper, we would be loaded. Is he great?? NO. BUT he has 100's of hours invested and NO preconceived notion. He NEVER would have taken Adams over a QB in my view or Becton over Wirfs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, David Harris said:

We'll see but I am expecting our offensive holes, WR and TE get filled in free agency before the draft. 

Mocks are always fun but everything will change after free agency and the combine. 

Concur but I think we need 2 of each--one each in FA and one each in the draft.

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Kiper on with Bart & Hahn.

Said these are not HIS projections, these are projections talking to people in the league--same with McShay. The only time he needs to make a call is when some people are saying 1st rounder and some people are saying 3rd--otherwise he's pretty narrowed down to what folks are telling him.

For instance, said most teams are saying Williams is a 2nd rounder but he's hearing the NE/Saban/Beli may push him to the Pats. Pats never could have gotten a guy like this at 21 so they roll the dice.  Would have been a to 8-10 pick.

Said the S class is not very deep--after the top 5 the class is barren, CB is deeper. Loves McBride as an all-around talent.  

Don't shoot the messenger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

Fastest way out of town for JD is to draft a safety at #4 so we can start the rebuild over again in 2024.

I watch College games but don't really recall seeing the top players being discussed. I'll read the pre-draft stuff (mostly from this site) and try to catch up.

So, I don't know much about the players but if JD takes a Safety with the #4 OA I'm going to need a new TV.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, nycdan said:

Forget about draft position for a moment.

Say we're at #4 and Thibs and Hutch are gone.  You want to help your defense.

I can't say how the Jets will view the remaining guys, but let's say it looks like this:

You can get a JFM clone or Derwin James clone only bigger.  What helps this team more?

I would draft Ikem Ekwonu at 4 then draft either Ojabo or Walker at 10.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There are two important missing pieces of the Jets draft equation.

 

1) What are the in-house evaluations of players on the roster. For example,

Do the Jets believe Nasirideen is a starting LB?

Do they believe Marshall will become a rotational DT? 

How do they really feel about every RB not name Michael Carter?

Do they think the McGovern has a place on their 2022 O line and, if so, is it at C with a new RG, or at RG with a new C? 

Do they believe there is even 1 starting quality S among the players signed for 2022?

Do they think Bryce Hall is a #1 or #2 CB?

 

2) Do they think there are good options in free agency to add:

Desperately needed starting TE capable of being a threat in the passing game.

A true (or at least close to it)  #1 WR.

A quality starting interior O lineman.

A starting S.

 

Without the answers to questions like these, predicting the Jets draft plans is mere guessing.

 

 

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

There are two important missing pieces of the Jets draft equation.

 

1) What are the in-house evaluations of players on the roster. For example,

Do the Jets believe Nasirideen is a starting LB?

Do they believe Marshall will become a rotational DT? 

How do they really feel about every RB not name Michael Carter?

Do they think the McGovern has a place on their 2022 O line and, if so, is it at C with a new RG, or at RG with a new C? 

Do they believe there is even 1 starting quality S among the players signed for 2022?

Do they think Bryce Hall is a #1 or #2 CB?

 

2) Do they think there are good options in free agency to add:

Desperately needed starting TE capable of being a threat in the passing game.

A true (or at least close to it)  #1 WR.

A quality starting interior O lineman.

A starting S.

 

Without the answers to questions like these, predicting the Jets draft plans is mere guessing.

 

 

HERE HERE!  But dammit, its fun to do and then prove how right we are six months after the draft!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

 

I've always said.... if we just took "Next Best Player" per Kiper, we would be loaded. Is he great?? NO. BUT he has 100's of hours invested and NO preconceived notion. He NEVER would have taken Adams over a QB in my view or Becton over Wirfs.

This is Mel Kipers final Big Board in 2017...

Yes. He WOULD  have taken Jamal over any QBs, also note which QB isnt even on the list. 

423752415_Screenshot_20220119-140027_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.920f9e546b54d45be943dcde5eade5e7.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

 

Do they believe Marshall will become a rotational DT? 

 

This would be a incredibly expedient if it were true. 

Given the need to hit TE, Edge, WR, S, CB, OL and RB in both FA and the draft, not having to put resources towards the DL would great. 

And I'll throw Cameron Clark at rotational OL in there too for the same reason.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, JTJet said:

This is Mel Kipers final Big Board in 2017...

Yes. He WOULD  have taken Jamal over any QBs, also note which QB isnt even on the list. 

423752415_Screenshot_20220119-140027_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.920f9e546b54d45be943dcde5eade5e7.jpg

I don't believe he would for the Jets. as we had NO QB.

 

Like buying silver license plates for a 73 Chevy Nova

We had Fitz/McGown at QB.  But the above list is interesting. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From some scouting reports, Drake London seems like the guy we need. He's big and I read his route running is better than Wilson (who is more like Moore) and Burks, who isn't a polished route runner and seems disinterested if he's not the primary target. London, on the other hand, is big and physical and runs polished routes. He was projected as a top 10 pick while the other guys were projected end of first round into the second. I really don't want a disinterested WR that takes plays off. Plus, Zach could use a young, big target receiver to grow with - he loves Davis and he won't be around more than a season or two.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can confidently state that should the Jets use either pick on a safety, I will break things.

Eric Weddle came out of 2 years retirement last week for a playoff game.

There is no Troy Polamalu nor Ed Reed nor Ronnie Lott in this draft. In fact guys of such talent now either become corners or LBs. 

There is no scarcity at the safety position. 

Picking a safety in the 1st round is a firing offense. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Not my picks.  This is Mel.  

I think Wilson goes before 10, I like both London and Burks but at 10 not so sure which is why I'd lkke to trade back.  But it's not happening.   

Ya don't know much about the wrs but Burks looks like the best in the class to me

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Greensleeves said:

From some scouting reports, Drake London seems like the guy we need. He's big and I read his route running is better than Wilson (who is more like Moore) and Burks, who isn't a polished route runner and seems disinterested if he's not the primary target. London, on the other hand, is big and physical and runs polished routes. He was projected as a top 10 pick while the other guys were projected end of first round into the second. I really don't want a disinterested WR that takes plays off. Plus, Zach could use a young, big target receiver to grow with - he loves Davis and he won't be around more than a season or two.

The biggest difference between London and Davis is London has great, strong hands. Big wing span, great on contested catches so while he doesn't get a lot of separation, because of his size and athleticism, is always open.  

Mike Evans? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Can confidently state that should the Jets use either pick on a safety, I will break things.

Eric Weddle came out of 2 years retirement last week for a playoff game.

There is no Troy Polamalu nor Ed Reed nor Ronnie Lott in this draft. In fact guys of such talent now either become corners or LBs. 

There is no scarcity at the safety position. 

Picking a safety in the 1st round is a firing offense. 

Kiper said S is the shallowest position in the draft but if we can grab one of the top 5, we'd do well.

Just not in Round 1.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...