Joe Montana docuseries, with an obscure Tom Brady connection

4 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I just finished episode 2 of a Joe Montana docuseries that is on Peacock. It is fairly well done, and to see some of the obscure footage and hidden gems of that era has been a real treat. A recommended watch.

The climax to episode 2 is "the catch" against the Cowboys, which has been chronicled almost as much as the Jet victory in SB with the Namath guarantee. The one obscure piece of this story that I had never heard, or more likely forgotten, was that Tom Brady as at this game. As a 4 year old, and it is his first football memory. And somehow, someone captured that image. TB with a sad face because he was blocked from viewing the play. Say what you like about TB, and I agree with a lot of it, but this is a pretty neat piece of history. It is almost like the NFL Gods touched this single game.

image.jpeg.a8338254dec4c42376021cfec7eba489.jpeg

I seem to recall that face when the giants busted his undefeated season....

I actually remember my first words. I was 14 months old. I said: "**** Tom Brady", threw a ball down the stairs, ate some delicious Gerber brand banana baby food, pooped myself, and then napped for 17 hours and 43 minutes. It was a good day.

Curious, because I don't think I knew who he was at that point, seeing as wasn't playing football yet, but somehow I just knew.

• Haha 2

Bo Brady references and stories have to ruin documentaries about all other players now?  Does everybody and everything associated with the NFL have to make everything about Brady?  I have to think that most true NFL fans are completely sick of Tom F%$ing Brady.  It's enough already.  It's like turning on the TV and watching the same movie over and over.  And I hated the movie the first time I saw it.  It makes me think of this clip from one of my favorite movies - Brady Brady Brady!!

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How the f**k does anyone remember anything at 4?  My first memory is at 5, and that seems to be a fairly common age for first memories.  And even those memories are fairly vague.

I call f**king bullsh*t, Tom.  You only remember what your parents tell you about this.  Go cry about being a 6th round pick who was almost an insurance salesman/COVID supplement con-man peddler (oh wait, he did that anyways) instead, you liar.  

This has been one of my pet peeves for the longest...anyone who says they remember anything in detail before 6 or 7 is lyings. lol

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

For real.

That being said, I believe this guy:

You know how many people have told me they have been fans of certain teams since they were 3 or 4 and remember specific moments?  Personally I don't remember specific events in detail till like 11. lmao

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

How the f**k does anyone remember anything at 4?  My first memory is at 5, and that seems to be a fairly common age for first memories.  And even those memories are fairly vague.

I call f**king bullsh*t, Tom.  You only remember what your parents tell you about this.  Go cry about being a 6th round pick who was almost an insurance salesman/COVID supplement con-man peddler (oh wait, he did that anyways) instead, you liar.  

I still remember, at age 4, wondering about Steve DeBerg's Poor Throw Percentage.

• Haha 4

14 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I just finished episode 2 of a Joe Montana docuseries that is on Peacock. It is fairly well done, and to see some of the obscure footage and hidden gems of that era has been a real treat. A recommended watch.

The climax to episode 2 is "the catch" against the Cowboys, which has been chronicled almost as much as the Jet victory in SB with the Namath guarantee. The one obscure piece of this story that I had never heard, or more likely forgotten, was that Tom Brady as at this game. As a 4 year old, and it is his first football memory. And somehow, someone captured that image. TB with a sad face because he was blocked from viewing the play. Say what you like about TB, and I agree with a lot of it, but this is a pretty neat piece of history. It is almost like the NFL Gods touched this single game.

I think he remembered yelling at Joe to take some air out of the balls. 

4 hours ago, docdhc said:

This is an amazing watch hearing an eye witness account of something so historic and long ago. 

Yeah, it's really unbelievable.  The man had a bad fall the day before but was determined to make it on the show and tell his story.  I think he died a few weeks/months later.

As one of the YouTube commenters points out (a rare YouTube video with a lot of great comments):

This man would have seen the world transform drastically during his lifetime. Born in candlelight when horses roamed the trails, he witnessed the birth of automobiles, airplanes, early space craft, skyscrapers, electricity, radio, motion picture, television, and telephones. He was around when Napoleon III ruled France’s last monarchy, as well witnessed American civil war, reconstruction, the Great Depression, and two world wars.

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, undertow said:

This has been one of my pet peeves for the longest...anyone who says they remember anything in detail before 6 or 7 is lyings. lol

I remember going to the Worlds Fair in 1964--I was 5 and I have flashes of things I remember but not to any great detail.  And over time I think events have made me "remember" more clearly those memories, but they were not the original memories.  

I remember Micelangelo's Pieta--but my Aunt bought me a little Pieta statue that day that I still own and I've been to Rome 4-5 times and I go see it every time so I've convinced myself I remember it from the Worlds Fair.  Probably not.  

I remember the rockets but over time, growing up on LI, we would go to Flushing Meadows and I'd see the rockets so I've convinced myself that I remember them from the Worlds Fair.  Probably not.  

I remember flashes of flying cars and mechanical people but not to any great detail.  

I think I still remember a big hub bub in the house when and in the aftermath of JFK being shot--1962 when I was 3--but I think maybe that was because we got Life Magazine and my parents saved all of them and I looked at them constantly until I was 9 when RFK was shot.  

Yeah, we don't CLEARLY remember a lot from when we were 4. 

Having said that, I have some very clear memories of kindergarten when I was probably 5, but maybe because that was a daily thing over 9 months.  

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, undertow said:

My first memories are from when I was 3.  I remember going to Disney at that age, specifically: getting sick on the tee-cup ride, my friend (also 3) almost drowning in the hotel pool, and getting lost in the airport on the way home. So in other words, just the traumatic sh*t. 

Other then that, my first vivid memory is this:

i would have been 5 going on 6. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The average/median age of Jets fans keeps trending older and older.  And because of a decade without making the playoffs, not many new Jets fans are being created.  

Basically, the only new Jets fans are the poor children of the lunatics on this message board. 

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Oh, so he’s always been a crying little bitch. Huh. I would have figured it started after high school.

23 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

Once a crybaby, always a crybaby. 

• Upvote 1