George Fant Potential Trade Compensation. Orlando Brown Deja Vu.

Shockwave

Offseason is not here yet. 

But let me fast forward a few months to what likely happens here because it seems pretty clear to me. 

George Fant signed a pretty cheap contract with us (JD is brilliant), is 29 and is a free agent next year. Him starting at LT next year over JD's number 4 pick (You got my back and I got yours) is just not happening. Fant is crazy athlete and he has more upside than people think but its just the situation we are in. 

That is the same situation Baltimore was in last. Ronnie Stanley got injured and Orlando Brown played LT. So what happened in the offseason? Orlando Brown suddenly wanted LT money and you know the rest. 

The Kansas City Chiefs made a splash play to protect Patrick Mahomes' blind side, acquiring a Pro Bowl left tackle.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport and Mike Garafolo reported Friday that K.C. traded for Baltimore Ravens offensive tackle Orlando Brown, per sources informed of the situation.

The Chiefs traded their 2021 first-round pick (No. 31 overall), a third-rounder (94), fourth-round pick (136) and a 2022 fifth-round selection in exchange for Brown and a 2021 second-round pick (No. 58) and a 2022 sixth-round pick.

The Ravens and Chiefs later announced the trade of Brown, pending a physical, but did not disclose compensation.

So in the coming months George Fant's agent is going to wake up and realize this is his shot at a big contract. Joe Douglas happens to like draft picks and as you saw with Marcus Maye he doesn't like signing 30 year olds to long contracts. 

So I think this path is clear and whats really great for the Jets is we have a perfect situation last year with the chiefs to base our negotiations on. Should be easy work for JD. 

IMO we'll be getting a late 1 or early 2 for Fant by the start of this years draft. 

This situation is very similar because Orlando Brown only had one year left on his contract when he was traded.  The Chiefs paid a lot for Brown, understanding that they had 2 FTs to use on him as well.  

FWIW, Orlando Brown, who most people thought was heavy, is listed at 6-8, 345, and opposed to Becton who is 6-7 and at least 370.  Those are the extra 25+ pounds that Becton needs to get rid of.  

I will tell you this much Fant is not playing on a one-year contract he will hold out. He just played damn well at a position where guys get $100 million contract with over half of it guaranteed. If we don’t re-sign him this off-season it would be stupid for him not to hold out. 

6 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

I would extend Fant and McGovern instead of trying to find their replacements in the draft 

This is the key.  

These guys are functioning.  There are multiple positions on this team that are not functioning.  To get someone who can play C or LT in 2023 we will need to invest in a high draft pick.  We should this year’s picks to fill the holes

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Becton goes to RT. thats it. 

and if he wants to hold out then let him. it hurts him more than us.

its in his best interest to play no matter what. if he sits then he loses money this year and next.  

how much you going to pay a guy who is 31 and had a great 2021 but sat for 2022? a lot less than a guy who is 31 and had 2 great years. 

this is his last chance at a big contract. he either takes JDs best offer or gambles on himself. he could get hurt like Maye and really screw himself. either way the smart move is to play

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Shockwave said:

But let me fast forward a few months to what likely happens here because it seems pretty clear to me. 

George Fant signed a pretty cheap contract with us (JD is brilliant), is 29 and is a free agent next year. Him starting at LT next year over JD's number 4 pick (You got my back and I got yours) is just not happening. Fant is crazy athlete and he has more upside than people think but its just the situation we are in. 

That is the same situation Baltimore was in last. Ronnie Stanley got injured and Orlando Brown played LT. So what happened in the offseason? Orlando Brown suddenly wanted LT money and you know the rest. 

So in the coming months George Fant's agent is going to wake up and realize this is his shot at a big contract. Joe Douglas happens to like draft picks and as you saw with Marcus Maye he doesn't like signing 30 year olds to long contracts. 

So I think this path is clear and whats really great for the Jets is we have a perfect situation last year with the chiefs to base our negotiations on. Should be easy work for JD. 

IMO we'll be getting a late 1 or early 2 for Fant by the start of this years draft. 

George Fant vs a pro bowl LT that barely netted a 1st? Yeah, 3rd rounder at best and even then you might have to give back a 5th. 

Fant was one of the best LT in the league this year against the rush, it should be his job until someone proves to be better. I would try to extend him for 3-4 years. You see a lot of LT play well into their 30s at a high level such as Peters, Whitworth, and Trent Williams just got a 6 year extension at age 33.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, LockeJET said:

I will tell you this much Fant is not playing on a one-year contract he will hold out. He just played damn well at a position where guys get $100 million contract with over half of it guaranteed. If we don’t re-sign him this off-season it would be stupid for him not to hold out. 

I think Fant is headed towards a tag. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

JD doesn’t like 29 year old safeties coming off a ruptured Achilles’ tendon. 

Tackles can play effectively into their mid-late 30s. 

JD will sign him. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

Yup.

I mean the Jets have had a rough time putting together a competent OLine ever since Brick and Mangold left.  But now they've finally started to do it.  JD has been smart with the Cap space and the Jets have some $$$.  This is exactly why a team gets itself into a good financial situation, so that it can retain the talent it has found.  The Jets don't often hit well on free agents but both Fant and McGovern have been solidly Good to Very Good.  They're the kinds of guys you find a way to keep if you can afford it.

Also, there's something to be said for consistency here.  To those of us who remember talking about the LaFleur (Shanahan) system this past Summer, how it takes a while to implement this wide/outside zone blocking scheme, how it really is a choreographed system that comes down to the timing of the footwork of the linemen, etc.  it makes all the sense in the world to keep the guys who have learned it and played well in it.  I wouldn't want to change more than one piece (maybe two) on the OLine if we can help it.  It took months for the OLine to finally start looking good.  It was only when we lost multiple starters and threw backups against the Buffalo Bills that things fell apart.

A reminder...

The difference with Shanahan’s offense and its various clones is that it’s extraordinarily difficult to teach, especially up front, because, for offensive linemen, most of the required movements are unique to this scheme. Blocking schemes require specific personnel that exclude a lot of standard, lumbering type linemen. Some of the most critical blocks cannot be practiced, because the backside “cutting” techniques, which ask an offensive lineman to dive at the turf, tripping a chasing defender at the hips, are too dangerous to try out on fellow teammates who could easily sustain lower body injuries.

So, having the playbook and the play-caller is one thing. Having the person, or people, to turn some chemically doctored brown swill into whiskey? That’s a different issue altogether, leaving some to wonder whether there’s a coaching crisis on our hands, or just a bunch of premature spirits waiting to ripen.

“It’s gonna take you years, it’s not going to happen overnight,” Mike Shanahan told Sports Illustrated recently from his vacation spot in Cabo. “You gotta believe in it. You gotta be a product of the environment. It’s gonna take time.”

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/16/why-its-hard-to-copycat-the-shanahan-style-offense-daily-cover

Thanks for reminding me that our system is dirty

55 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

For JD to make any sort of move with Fant (regardless of the compensation) would be dependent on him having amazing confidence in Becton next year and beyond.

If Fant were to be traded away and Becton turns out to be a bust, JD's guaranteed to be looking for a new job.

Even if he counts on Becton, Moses is a UFA

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Even if he counts on Becton, Moses is a UFA

Fair point, but if Becton works out, a good return for Fant could be justified enough to not be a killer move, using the argument of wanting a stronger run blocker at RT.

It's not a move I would necessarily agree with regardless, but would definitely be perceived differently depending on the circumstances.

Fant was one of the best LT in the league this year against the rush, it should be his job until someone proves to be better. I would try to extend him for 3-4 years. You see a lot of LT play well into their 30s at a high level such as Peters, Whitworth, and Trent Williams just got a 6 year extension at age 33.

Correct. A lineman does not fall off a cliff at 30. A lot get better. I would def extend Fant. Perfect for our system

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Shockwave said:

From a 'sell-high' standpoint I totally understand where you're coming from. It is good business to sign a raw player, mold that player into a good starter and proceed to trade them instead of handing them a big contract. 

I just think in this instance, considering the question marks surrounding Becton and the likely imminent departure of Moses in free agency, we'd be unwise to 'realize our gains' on that Fant investment and instead just keep him for another year and hedge our bets.

Next year is critical for the quarterback and therefore the coaching staff and GM - as usually when a high QB pick busts, most people get shown the door in those positions. 

If I were Douglas, I'd rather go into next season overstocked at a few key positions - particularly offensive tackle and receiver - than get credit for a bit of shrewd business. 

• Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

Exactly. 15m yearly easy. This is the part everyone here is not going to understand for a month or two. 

• Upvote 1

Exactly. 15m yearly easy. This is the part everyone here is not going to understand for a month or two. 

He's easily worth it, as a quality starting LT.

He is on around $9M under his current deal, and has proven that he can be relied on. He has earned an extension and a bump in salary.

• Upvote 2