George Fant Potential Trade Compensation. Orlando Brown Deja Vu.

Shockwave

Yup.
I mean the Jets have had a rough time putting together a competent OLine ever since Brick and Mangold left.  But now they've finally started to do it.  JD has been smart with the Cap space and the Jets have some $$$.  This is exactly why a team gets itself into a good financial situation, so that it can retain the talent it has found.  The Jets don't often hit well on free agents but both Fant and McGovern have been solidly Good to Very Good.  They're the kinds of guys you find a way to keep if you can afford it.
Also, there's something to be said for consistency here.  To those of us who remember talking about the LaFleur (Shanahan) system this past Summer, how it takes a while to implement this wide/outside zone blocking scheme, how it really is a choreographed system that comes down to the timing of the footwork of the linemen, etc.  it makes all the sense in the world to keep the guys who have learned it and played well in it.  I wouldn't want to change more than one piece (maybe two) on the OLine if we can help it.  It took months for the OLine to finally start looking good.  It was only when we lost multiple starters and threw backups against the Buffalo Bills that things fell apart.

A reminder...

The difference with Shanahan’s offense and its various clones is that it’s extraordinarily difficult to teach, especially up front, because, for offensive linemen, most of the required movements are unique to this scheme. Blocking schemes require specific personnel that exclude a lot of standard, lumbering type linemen. Some of the most critical blocks cannot be practiced, because the backside “cutting” techniques, which ask an offensive lineman to dive at the turf, tripping a chasing defender at the hips, are too dangerous to try out on fellow teammates who could easily sustain lower body injuries.
So, having the playbook and the play-caller is one thing. Having the person, or people, to turn some chemically doctored brown swill into whiskey? That’s a different issue altogether, leaving some to wonder whether there’s a coaching crisis on our hands, or just a bunch of premature spirits waiting to ripen.
“It’s gonna take you years, it’s not going to happen overnight,” Mike Shanahan told Sports Illustrated recently from his vacation spot in Cabo. “You gotta believe in it. You gotta be a product of the environment. It’s gonna take time.”
https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/08/16/why-its-hard-to-copycat-the-shanahan-style-offense-daily-cover

excellent post - continuity for these guys is critical - i think the only substantive changes will be at right guard and right tackle - also one thing that’s helped fant a lot this year is having avt playing next to him - ditto for mcgovern- add a better than dr on the right side will help this line become even better

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, LockeJET said:

He’s not a FA. So either Jets give him an extension this off-season or I’m betting he holds out. 

If he holds out, get rid of him. I thought he was a FA. The guy is almost 30. You don't  get held hostage by someone on his last contract. Also the Jets gave him a chance to start. His whole career before that he was a reserve. Honor your contract. I'm sick of signing one year wonders. 

Fant needs to be kept and brought back to play the LT position. I want the best player protecting our QB. 

Becton needs to prove himself and play RT. Its that damn simple. Fant played great and that’s not hyperbole. 

On the other hand, I do feel like we need to upgrade at center. I don’t know what’s happening the RG position but maybe slide McGovern there? 

• Upvote 1

they have fant for one more season.  he may be the lt they've been looking for and he may want lt money.  but he also did better when paired with avt versus gvr and that has to be figured into the equation. i'm thinking an lt needs to be nimble on their feet more than have great bulk and that may give him an advantage over becton.  we'll see. it's kind of good the jets have some options here as opposed to years past.

13 hours ago, varjet said:

This is the key.  

These guys are functioning.  There are multiple positions on this team that are not functioning.  To get someone who can play C or LT in 2023 we will need to invest in a high draft pick.  We should this year’s picks to fill the holes

And nothing prevents us from drafting an OT or Center in later rounds for development over the season, or pick one up in next year's draft.

Fant was good this past year (elite pass blocking, so-so run blocking), but he also had some knee issues late in the year.  Didn't he also miss some time the previous year?  

If he's willing to sign for fair amount, okay, but if he wants a big deal, see how next year pans out.  If he stays healthy and good, they can resign him or maybe tag him for a year?

But yeah, they certainly should not be trading him away.

I think the point made above about Fant potentially holding out is a good one.  He would be crazy to play out the last year of his contract at 29 years old with line mates rolling around taking out each other’s knees.  That is how Becton and CM got hurt. 

17 hours ago, Shockwave said:

IMO we'll be getting a late 1 or early 2 for Fant by the start of this years draft. 

The Jets are not trading Fant. As it is they haven't even made any known offers to Moses; LDT is a free agent; and the rest aren't worth bringing back. Becton is likely to start, but I couldn't blame the team for being a little cautious on his reliability (I'd blame them if they weren't).

The last thing this team needs is another hole to fill on the OL. The whole thing with this blocking scheme is it takes time to get it right. That's not going to happen if they keep swapping in 2+ new pieces every year, since as it is Becton got little playing time in it in 2021. So the only returning pieces in their 2021 roles, in Fant's absence, would be AVT and McGovern -- and more than half the people here want to replace McGovern with a rookie, too. 

Fant's not getting traded, and unless he gets injured and/or Becton wipes the floor with him over the summer, Fant is the 2022 Jets' starting LT (as he should be). 

• Upvote 1

Interesting tweet from the Jets yesterday:

Highlights how highly the Jets seem to think of Fant, and also the importance of hard work and constantly seeking to get better.

Hmmm...are the Jets sending subtle messages to any other players with that tweet, I wonder?

• Upvote 3

Fant should be extended for at least 3-4 more years  As I have said in prior posts although he is over 30 he has relatively low mileage on his body, has shown he can play LT at close to pro bowl level, willing to put the work in to get better at his craft and has earned the right to not have to compete for a starting spot. Let Becton work to earn starters playing time at RT and also draft Neal or the other highly rated tackle who’s name I can’t remember in the event that Morgan leaves in FA and Becton doesn’t live up to his potential. I totally understand view of not spending another # 1 on the o line but not sold on any of the highly rated defensive ends, Stingley or wide receivers to use the # 4 pick on. Trade down would be best option but I just don’t think it’s going to happen so pick the o lineman and not Linderbaum as he is just to light in my view. Have visions of him becoming the next Wesley Johnson ( definitely exaggerating there but you get my point) 

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2022 at 12:25 PM, varjet said:

I think the point made above about Fant potentially holding out is a good one.  He would be crazy to play out the last year of his contract at 29 years old with line mates rolling around taking out each other’s knees.  That is how Becton and CM got hurt. 

This. 

Anyone that doesn't understand how this process goes doesn't understand how the NFL works. George Fant was not a high draft pick and has been an off and on again Bench Player. He is nearing 30. This is chance to get paid and he will wether that be on the Jets or more likely another team. LT's can demand 15m per year. 

Just like Orlando Brown. The trade rumors likely start around the combine after his agent tries to ask Douglas for a new contract and we shop him -  so I'll bump this then.

I’ll actually defend you somewhat BUT, a few things must be in place first:

1- you must re-sign Moses. He’s a natural RT and proved himself worthy last year. 

2- the bigger wildcard is Becton. Unless you’re 150%  that he’s back, you can’t trade Fant and get Zach killed out there.

Draft capital wise, Fant would fetch us some nice draft picks.

hey, it’s thinking outside the box season.