Why do you think Sam Darnold hasn’t been good in the NFL

NYJets43

He has no confidence in his on abilities to make all the throws. He does have the ability, but his circumstances shredded all his confidence in himself. The result. Indecision leading to safe throws or inacurate plays farther downfield. And his teammates  sense that lack of confidence.   Not good. 

2 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

That’s not true. He put together a historically good season as a freshman. He took a struggling team and got them into contention (ultimately winning the Rose Bowl). 

He was also very young when he entered the draft (year and a half younger than Wilson)

The bold is a reason NOT to draft a kid like that so high.  Lack of collegiate experience is one of the top correlated reasons with QB's who fail in the pros.  

Meanwhile, Christian Hackenberg had a great freshman year, too.  Ignoring the later data is what got Macc into trouble with TWO QB prospects.  Unreal.

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Sam Darnold wasnt good in college so it was foolish for any of us to think he would be god in the nfl.

There is a reason Cleveland passed on him for a midget and the giants passed on him for a rb.

Clearing the way for the "best player in the draft" to fall to Macc for the 4th year in a row!  It's no wonder we're a powerhouse.

25 minutes ago, peebag said:

If Ryan Tannehill can become a decent enough starter in the NFL, there's reason to believe Darnold can do it as well.

Ryan Tannehill put up numbers his first 3 years that Darnold could only dream of.  

Only QB's who show something early on deserve multiple opportunities to become "the next Tannehill".  Darnold isn't in that category.  He sucks.  

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This.

happy feet 

https://nypost.com/2018/04/17/one-draft-qb-spared-in-scouts-scathing-draft-take-cow-on-ice/

“Darnold, he’s like a cow on ice,’’ Shonka said. “His footwork is all over the place. His feet in the pocket are embarrassing. When you turn the ball over [35 times] in 26 games, you’re intellectually dishonest when you’re talking about bringing in Sam Darnold as your next savior. This guy opens his hands over the ball, it just drops out when he’s in the pocket. If you look at his film, they talk about his accuracy. Actually it’s his receivers making great catches for him, laying out for the ball or going high. I’m not saying he’s never going to be a quarterback, but right now he’s a long way away.’’

• Post of the Week 2

The draft class was ridiculously hyped.  The two best prospects were projects the 3 can't miss guys were all second rate prospects who were hyped by their alumni, the media and the NFL.  Sam, to his credit, was the only one of the 3 top prospects who wasn't an a$$hole.  

• Upvote 1

I think it harps back to USC and the types of QBs that come out of there.  Typically, they are 1-2 year starters in HS, start 1-2 yrs at SC and leave way too early.  They aren’t mentally prepared for the NFL. The one exception was Palmer.  3 year started in HS, 5 years at SC, then a successful pro career.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

The Panthers are now looking to bring in Ben McAdoo to see if he can fix Sam Darnold. 

A lot of people (myself included) really thought Darnold would be good. Why do you think he ultimately hasn’t? What qualities does he lack?

He does not figure out what the defense is doing until it's too late.  IOW, he doesn't have the quick identification process for what's going on around him that the good QBs all have.  The problem is that his processing is too slow.  By the time he recognizes what to do, it's too late.  It is essentially the same exact issue Mark Sanchez had.  Just like Darnold, Sanchez had the body, arm and  other measurables you look for.  Unfortunately, their brain operate way too slowly for NFL success. 

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Which is what makes Tom Brady, with less athletic gifts, such an outstanding QB.

And I truly believe that JD believed that Wilson had that kind of quick processing ability over the other remaining QBs in the draft, making his choice an easy one.

12 hours ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

It's why a majority of QBs in this league fail to live up to their draft status.  Can't transition from college, can't read defenses, don't have offensive support, don't correct their mistakes, make stupid decisions, etc...

Once a young QB's mind is rattled from poor experiences in this league, it is very hard to correct  it.  Also, you can look at as much college tape and combine numbers as you want, but football IQ is the most important trait of a QB (which is hard to assess prior to draft), and if they can't develop that within a few years of entering the league, they're on the bullet train to back-up city.

so you're saying that Darnold's forehead is on the empty side?

The Panthers are now looking to bring in Ben McAdoo to see if he can fix Sam Darnold. 

A lot of people (myself included) really thought Darnold would be good. Why do you think he ultimately hasn’t? What qualities does he lack?

Accuracy, field vision, technique and decision making.

Same reason most QB's aren't good.

Same reasons Zach Wilson wasn't good in 2021.

If a QB cannot improve/fix these issues, they do not last long as starters.

It's very rarely a physical issue, almost every QB at the NFL can "make all the throws" a QB needs to be a success.

It's all about eyes and brains.

• Upvote 2

He doesn't see the field or process what he's seeing quickly enough. It's an intangible skill that is extremely difficult to evaluate and the reason most QBs who don't pan out can't play at this level. He has the physical talents. At one time he had the moxie, the confidence. He just doesn't have the ability to quickly diagnose what is happening and make the smart decision.

Look at this game he played against Houston this year and tell me he doesn’t have it. I really think he will put it together one day. Don’t get it. 

I've been saying the same thing for a while now.  We have to remember he was the youngest starting QB in NFL history when he came into the league and, with the Jets, he had horrible HC, OC, OL and weapons.

I agree with people who say that he's probably slow to process stuff but my gut feeling is that, at some point, things will "click" and he'll become a viable, pretty good QB.  (My guess is that will happen after people have written him off/forgotten about him).

What a beauty this pass was:

Sam_Dont_Count_Me_Out_Darnold_315yard_Game_vs_Texans__Week_.gif.e68f2a05f0ae53e138ff853c8a79cdb5.gif

27 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I've been saying the same thing for a while now.  We have to remember he was the youngest starting QB in NFL history when he came into the league and, with the Jets, he had horrible HC, OC, OL and weapons.

I agree with people who say that he's probably slow to process stuff but my gut feeling is that, at some point, things will "click" and he'll become a viable, pretty good QB.  (My guess is that will happen after people have written him off/forgotten about him).

What a beauty this pass was:

Sam_Dont_Count_Me_Out_Darnold_315yard_Game_vs_Texans__Week_.gif.e68f2a05f0ae53e138ff853c8a79cdb5.gif

The issue is that those beautiful passes rarely happened, even with the Panthers. Without CMC he floundered spectacularly, and it suggested that he just isn't a good QB. 

Time will really tell for him, but after 4 years it seems evident to me. I could be wrong.

• Upvote 2