Where does Quinnen Williams rank among NFL defensive tackles?

LIJetsFan

34 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

QW might be a single contract guy. He is a good player but not elite and should not be extended as if he is elite. His impact above just a JAD is not that significant IMO. He is better but I don't think teams need to adjust or game plan for QW at all. 

The psychology of these situations is hard.  

To stay with the Jets QW will want a long-term premium contract.  If his contract with the Jets expires he will end up a short-term rental like Sheldon Richardson.  He will actually make a lot of money that way.  

24 minutes ago, varjet said:

The psychology of these situations is hard.  

To stay with the Jets QW will want a long-term premium contract.  If his contract with the Jets expires he will end up a short-term rental like Sheldon Richardson.  He will actually make a lot of money that way.  

I get it, but I dont think I would pay QW top DT money either. Maybe he follows the path of our other "best player in the draft" DT picks

Can’t keep Quinnen if he thinks he’s getting Leonard Williams type of money as he’s just not worth it. Hell Leo is not worth the contract he received. Quinnen is a good player who I am in favor of bringing him back on a reasonable deal. What do you gals/ guys think he’s worth? Does 3 years @ 42 million with 20 guaranteed get it done Would that be a fair deal for both parties? 

Q is not the player he should be, and that's on him period. If you watched him his senior year, he blew up OL's on a regular basis. He would be #2 behind Arron Donald if he were to play the way he played his senior year, however he doesn't.

In negotiations for his next contract, it must be performance laced. I don't want to get rid of him unless we can get a FA that is as young and better, cause that is one position I don't want to have to worry about drafting for at least another 2 years.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I believe Joe D learned his lesson with the JFM mistake.  Quinnen will not get a 2nd contract from the Jets.  The best he will get is mabve be exercise his 5th year option.  But hes done here within the next 2 years.

We will no longer be handing out big money contracts unless you are an all pro super stud.

The JFM mistake - we can get out of the contract with very little dead money after the 2022-23 season as there is zero guaranteed money left.  I really dont understand what people want.  Not to mention JFM's value as an interior rusher was completely  negated when we lost both lawson and huff.  

As for QW ive been a big supporter through his constant bashing on this board.  He struggled as a rookie with an injury and did make a leap in year 2.  He then was on what appeared to be a 10 sack trajectory this year before disappearing down the stretch.  On top of that I am interested to see what he could do with talent on the edge and a team that isnt constantly playing from behind.

All that being said, I just dont see the positional value for him to give him top 5 value in his next contract.  Aaron Donald is an outlier and really hes pointless to discuss as he is so rare.  Chris Jones really makes the KC defense completely different when he is on the field but after those 2 are there really any DTs who make a consistent impact that arent just big run stuffers like Vita Vea?  Unless QW is able to make some sort of leap to not only 9+ sacks but to also routinely be disrupting the run game, then the money would simply be better spent on a different position.  

There is also the potential trade value where a team will think they can put him in a different scheme to get more production and we can turn him into some sort of value.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Bugg said:

So to recap: Coffee Boy drafted one Williams guy, also wearing # 92, almost identical size. for the same exact position and role, to replace the other. Both decent but neither is Donald or Heyward. And did so despite the New York Jets, at the time of each pick, had no f____in' offense nor an NFL quality QB. 

This would've been Macc's dream draft pick:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CoffGl00.htm

7 hours ago, Zachtomims47 said:

What? Says who??

Says his draft pedigree and what we can expect his contract demands will end up being?

Carl Lawson, at the age of 25, signed here as a FA for $15M per year.  The open market dictated that he get paid outside of the top 15 at his position.

QW is going to try to command top 5 DT money somewhere in the range of $18-22M per year.  

Follow the money.  QW is supposed to be the team's top pass-rusher.  And if he's not our pass rusher by the time its time to pay him, then you let someone else pay him that number.  It really becomes that simple.  

On 1/20/2022 at 1:07 PM, Barton said:

Should have traded this guy for that "boat load of picks" some team was offering Douglas after Quinnens rookie year. 

To answer the question, he is thus far a middle of the pack defensive tackle. Solid player, nothing more. 

It's not too late to trade him for a "boat load of picks", if indeed something like that will still be on the table.

Apply the 5th year option and he has 2 years left on his deal.  We can move him this offseason or even next offseason if we see fit.  

• Upvote 1

On 1/20/2022 at 1:27 PM, rangerous said:

qwill is getting the over drafted treatment that lots of jet players get.  i don't recall adams getting the same degree until he started shooting his mouth off.  people were willing to overlook his coverage skills because he was playing more like a linebacker.  the minute he was treated as a safety he became overdrafted.  imo qwil will look much better once they actually have a decent edge to complement his interior play.  granted he'll still be over drafted but he'll also be seen to be a keeper instead of a guy they can get in late draft rounds.

I'm certain he will look like a player worth keeping too.  But the question is....how much are you willing to pay him?  

16 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm certain he will look like a player worth keeping too.  But the question is....how much are you willing to pay him?  

yep.  and that's the point.  i'm sure leo thought he was worth quite a bit more than he actually was based on performance.  both leo and qwill are nice players but i don't get the sense that the opposing offences really game plan them more than other dt's. 

• Upvote 2

Looks like current top 5-10 DT money is like $17-18M a year, top 15-20 DT money is $10-12M a year. I imagine Douglas pushes for the latter, Williams for the former, and we’ll see if they meet in the middle or if one side sticks to their guns.

I imagine Douglas values DT and something like JFM’s deal probably isn’t an issue but would imagine Williams wants more.