Cordarrelle Patterson

nycdan

All the talk about finding better weapons for this offense.  

No way we'll get Davante

Godwin coming off an injury.

Robinson coming off a shite year.

What about Patterson?  He had an absolute breakout season with ATL and is young enough to do it again a few more times.  I'm not sure *what* he is right now, but he *is* flexible and I can't imagine LaFleur wouldn't find creative ways to use him.

Frankly, I had no idea he was a FA until now.  Curious why he isn't generating much buzz.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No way we'll get Davante

Robinson coming off a sh*te year.

What about Patterson?  He had an absolute breakout season with ATL and is young enough to do it again a few more times.  I'm not sure *what* he is right now, but he *is* flexible and I can't imagine LaFleur wouldn't find creative ways to use him.

Frankly, I had no idea he was a FA until now.  Curious why he isn't generating much buzz.

I mean yeah he’s a solid guy but hopefully Douglas is looking to land a bigger fish via trade (Amari, DK, Ridley).  If he goes the FA route for a WR I’d hope for Godwin > Cordelle 

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No way we'll get Davante

Robinson coming off a shite year.

In a more supporting role, I've got no problem with it (though I've no idea what he'd cost or if he'll be worth that at 31, though so far he can still run like the wind, even if he's not quite as fast as he he used to be).

LaFleur does like his less-conventional plays, and Patterson could open up more such opportunities, especially in light of the lack of a Berrios extension following the much publicized announcements that the Jets engaged him in such extension talks.

They really need a reliable starter at WR, but that doesn't mean they only need 1 WR (or a WR1) and no others. Now maybe/presumably they're going to look to the draft to fill that WR1 role, and will look to more supportive veterans for the rest. There's certainly some rationale to doing that (in particular if they can't land a bigger FA name).

The only WRs on the roster worth mentioning are Moore & Davis, since for now Mims can be treated as though he's not going to be here, and Berrios-Crowder-Cole are all FAs. So they need more than just one guy and Patterson (or others) not being a "true #1" or even a conventional must-start player shouldn't exclude him.

Interesting idea, especially if they don't re-sign Berrios. 

16 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand why this is such a sure thing. He's a professional athlete. Pay him the most amount of money. It's worked for the Jets before and that seems like a good start.

If they win the Super Bowl it wouldn't shock me if he came to the Jets. If not, I doubt it.

So in 2021 with the Falcons he was 153-618-6 in terms of running game and 52-548-5 in terms of receptions. Pretty impressive as a kind of a slash player. As for career 320-1635-14 (runs) and 268-2635-15 (receptions). He's 30 years old. The thing about a player like him is you kind of have to build your offense at least partially around them. I don't know how much he has left in the tank but not a bad idea at all worth looking into. 

39 minutes ago, nycdan said:

No way we'll get Davante

I don't this he is what we need right now. I'd rather bring back Berrios on a cheaper contract and use him in a similar fashion (returns, sweeps, slot). 

Also, I think it is in our favor that Robinson is coming off a bad year. It will bring his price tag down and maybe, just maybe give the Jets a chance to sign him. The Bears offense was a dumpster fire last year. Its really hard not to see this as an anomaly. Especially with the numbers he typically puts up- even with bad QB play. 

I wouldn't want to make him one of the highest paid WRs in the league. But I'd def. be in on Robinson if the Bears let him test FA.  

I know that Godwin just tore up his knee, but that’s a big part of the reason that we now have a legitimate shot at him.

He might be the best slot guy in the NFL. And with the Jets seemingly committed to playing Moore on the outside, that sounds just fine by me.

It’s not crazy to think that he could be ready for the start of the season. And if not, then start him on the PUP list and let Berrios handle the slot duties until he’s ready.

Supposedly the Jets loved Godwin last offseason and were willing to throw the bank at him if Tampa let him walk. Maybe that’s changed after the knee, but I doubt it. If he recovers, which I don’t see why he wouldn’t, then he’s a perfect fit in this offense and I’m sure LaFleur would agree.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

So did cam Akers in week 1 and he played last week, I’d take my chances with Godwin 

Godwin tore his ACL and Akers tore his Achilles, two different body parts. I do think that Godwin can rehab his ACL and is only 25.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

No way we'll get Davante

Atlanta will probably resign him, unless cap restraints are stopping them. He and Kyle Pitts were essentially the 2 bright spots on that team and Patterson was the main reason why they won some of their games.

He would be great, but I think his situation is similar to Dalton Shultz's

I don’t hate the idea.  I am fixated on this positionless offense concept.  That’s just a buzz term in hoops the last several years, but it’s starting to creep into football with guys like Deebo and Patterson.  We may even have our own versions in Moore and Berrios.

Anyway, I have a growing interest in an offensive skill groupings that consists almost completely of dual threat guys like this who can be ball carriers or receiving threats.  Let’s say the Jets sign Patterson(or draft a guy like Wan’Dale Robinson).  In certain situations or sub packages you could have 4-5 guys on the field at one time that are legitimate threats to be ball carriers or pass catchers.  I think the possibilities, if done correctly, are fascinating.  That is a bit pie in the sky though.

In short, I’d be for Patterson for a year or 2.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I don't understand why this is such a sure thing. He's a professional athlete. Pay him the most amount of money. It's worked for the Jets before and that seems like a good start.

The Jets offered Kirk Cousins the most money and he still turned them down to play in Minnesota.

Offering the most money guarantees nothing for this franchise.  He'll take a little less to play for a superior QB.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I don’t hate the idea.  I am fixated on this positionless offense concept.  That’s just a buzz term in hoops the last several years, but it’s starting to creep into football with guys like Deebo and Patterson.  We may even have our own versions in Moore and Berrios.

Anyway, I have a growing interest in an offensive skill groupings that consists almost completely of dual threat guys like this who can be ball carriers or receiving threats.  Let’s say the Jets sign Patterson(or draft a guy like Wan’Dale Robinson).  In certain situations or sub packages you could have 4-5 guys on the field at one time that are legitimate threats to be ball carriers or pass catchers.  I think the possibilities, if done correctly, are fascinating.  That is a bit pie in the sky though.

Gotta tell you, one guy I really loved was Antonio Gibson. 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Jets offered Kirk Cousins the most money and he still turned them down to play in Minnesota.

Offering the most money guarantees nothing for this franchise.  He'll take a little less to play for a superior QB.

Don’t disagree that offering the most money doesn’t always mean players come. But State tax rates played a factor in cousins signing 

2 minutes ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Don’t disagree that offering the most money doesn’t always mean players come. But State tax rates played a factor in cousins signing 

Oddly enough, I don't think that's true.

NJ top income tax bracket is 10.75%

MIN top income tax bracket is 9.85%

And they only pay home taxes on half the games so the difference is even less than that.  

Whatever Cousins' reasoning was, I don't think it had much to do with state income taxes.

Now Florida on the other hand...

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Oddly enough, I don't think that's true.

NJ top income tax bracket is 10.75%

MIN top income tax bracket is 9.85%

And they only pay home taxes on half the games so the difference is even less than that.  

Whatever Cousins' reasoning was, I don't think it had much to do with state income taxes.

Now Florida on the other hand...

Yeah it’s a little different with cousins, he has a house in Michigan and they have a tax treaty with Minnesota that allows him to pay their state income tax of 4.25% pretty crazy how that stuff works makes a big difference with high earners 

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

No way we'll get Davante

We need a WR, not an RB. 

7 hours ago, Team archer said:

If Godwin is ready by training camp and price is reduced then maybe

Godwin is young enough that I think you can take a chance on him even if he wouldn't be available until say half-way through the next season.  ACL injuries are healing better and faster these days, look at Cam Akers.  His season-ending injury was not season-ending after all.

If the medicals check out that Godwin had a clean and successful surgery, and his rehab is going well then you can be pretty confident in signing him I think.  It will all come down to the $$$.

12 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

We need a WR, not an RB. 

Patterson in this offense would be used similarly to how Deebo Samuel is used in SF.  Samuel is multi-dimensional as is Patterson.  I wouldn't have a problem if Patterson ended up here but I'd like to see him occupying something like the WR3/4 spot on the depth chart as well as RB2/3.  That's the flexibility he gives you... I feel like he can almost gives you an extra roster spot.

153 rushes along with 52 receptions?  That's a multi-dimensional player.

1367064679_ScreenShot2022-01-20at8_50_42PM.thumb.png.b7904efe9a06cf6fb6afe778e2cc092c.png

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DepressedJetsFan23 said:

Yeah it’s a little different with cousins, he has a house in Michigan and they have a tax treaty with Minnesota that allows him to pay their state income tax of 4.25% pretty crazy how that stuff works makes a big difference with high earners 

Well that's clever!  I did not know that.  Wish I could figure out a way to do that :)

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Patterson in this offense would be used similarly to how Deebo Samuel is used in SF.  Samuel is multi-dimensional as is Patterson.  I wouldn't have a problem if Patterson ended up here but I'd like to see him occupying something like the WR3/4 spot on the depth chart as well as RB2/3.  That's the flexibility he gives you... I feel like he can almost gives you an extra roster spot.

153 rushes along with 52 receptions?  That's a multi-dimensional player.

1367064679_ScreenShot2022-01-20at8_50_42PM.thumb.png.b7904efe9a06cf6fb6afe778e2cc092c.png

We need a WR. CP is certainly not the WR that’s gonna help our QB. He’s not getting 52 catches here and our starting RB seems capable enough not to overpay for a gadget player. Berries can do that just fine. Corey, Elijah and Braxton occupy WR2, WR3 and WR4. We need a WR1.  

16 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

My feelings exactly.  We can look to spend a high pick on another WR or we can pay someone like patterson to be our version of Deebo in the sweep running game and allow JD to focus on defense in the draft.  Patterson has very little mileage at 31 and should easily have 2 seasons of 200 touches left in him.

4 minutes ago, BCJet said:

My feelings exactly.  We can look to spend a high pick on another WR or we can pay someone like patterson to be our version of Deebo in the sweep running game and allow JD to focus on defense in the draft.  Patterson has very little mileage at 31 and should easily have 2 seasons of 200 touches left in him.

The problem is that Patterson doesn’t posses 1/10 of the receiving ability that Deebo has.  You’re not replicating the Deebo role with Patterson.  People have become too obsessed with this notion.   Go spend the FA money on an actual WR.   

• Upvote 1