Ekwonu rising as potential #1 pick on betting sites

jetstream23

17 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Interesting. Ekwonu does seem like the one pure LT despite how talented and versatile Evan Neal is. Ekwonu is also a better fit for zone blocking schemes vs. man/power blocking.

It’s interesting that on DraftKings there does seem to be a pretty clear top four. You’ll notice the next couple guys are quarterbacks. Again, these are odds/betting numbers and the risk/reward around the most premium position like QB makes these kinds of things happen. Some people place bets on the chance that a great Combine and pro day for a guy like Pickett could result in a trade up by some team.

In any case, found this interesting.

https://www.actionnetwork.com/nfl/2022-nfl-draft-prospect-ikem-ekwonu-sees-massive-odds-movement-24-hours

AE8A2D32-EC33-4A3D-BE10-10F791B32255.thumb.jpeg.6db4b4773d3a3689ca4f4839574322bc.jpeg

1C0E865D-9F96-40E0-AD55-04D56C3F907F.thumb.jpeg.bde8ae784ab9c9311904a946c7b4c0b7.jpeg

Agree with this fully.  IMHO, Ewkonu is the best player in the draft.  He's going to be a perennial pro-bowler.  If the Jets have a chance to take him with their first pick, they have to go for it.

Also... Another player that is going to be great, and would be especially a great fit for Salehs' defence is The Sauce. If they have a chance to draft Sauce Gardner with their second first round pick, they would be foolish not to.  He is loaded with physical football skills and on top of that, ideal intangibles.  A smart, physical heads up CB like Sauce would be ideal for Saleh's defense.  He's going to be a great football player that influences games.

My ideal draft dare I hope

Ewkonu and the Sauce.

I don’t know whether in the grand scheme of things JD wants an OL with multiple 30 year olds making $10mm+ each a year.  

We also have to look at how the roster projects in 2021, 2022 and 2023.

An OL of Fant, AVT, CM, Ekwonu and Becton looks pretty good for next season.  If Becton stumbles Ekwonu goes to RT and Samia, Clark or a another draft pick steps up.  I think JD needs to sign another tier 2 FA G who can play there who is better than GVR and Feeney.  That G could be LDT.  That saves us from signing Moses for next season.

In 2023, if we don’t resign Fant its Becton, AVT, new Center or extended CM, new G and Ekwonu.  

We can run the numbers but that ends up less expensive and younger than options that extend Fant and Moses.  

bookend tackles again?  both marvin powell and chris ward went No 4 in their respective drafts.  i keep saying this is very similar to those late 70's drafts.  we'll see.  i think this team needs skill positions more than oline at the moment.  it might depend on how well becton is coming along.

16 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Draft good players for one coach and scheme, coach gets fired after 2-3 years.

Now you have to get rid of all of those good players and bring in new good players for the new coach and scheme.

The Jets have been facing this problem for the last 15 years.

That's why continuity and consistency are so important to a winning organization. Like NE. 20 years with the same systems in place. It gives a team a significant advantage to LONG term success.

If the Jags decide that their primary focus is protecting Lawrence then this scenario is entirely possible. I've heard some "draft experts" say that if Hutchinson and Thibs were in last years class they would not be top 10 picks.

Last years class had more QBs that were considered 1st round picks though, which is probably the primary reason.

Assuming Thib and Hutch are gone, I think you can make an argument for Ekwonu being the best choice at 4. Yes, the Jets will be over investing in the OL, however:

1. There is no skill position player on offense worth that selection. 

2. Stingley's injuries scare the hell out of me and Hamilton (as good as he may be) plays safety. 

3. The Jets OL finished the season ranked 11th by PFF (I believe). Imagine adding a healthy Becton and Ekwonu to that OL. You could be easily looking at a top 5 OL next year. That allows the Jets to run the ball very effectively. The only times Wilson had any success this year is when the running game was effective. Wilson also played a lot worse when he was under pressure, so building a super unit on the OL should, in theory, reduce the amount of pressure Wilson is under. 

Build the super unit.

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, maury77 said:

Assuming Thib and Hutch are gone, I think you can make an argument for Ekwonu being the best choice at 4. Yes, the Jets will be over investing in the OL, however:

3. The Jets OL finished the season ranked 11th by PFF (I believe). Imagine adding a healthy Becton and Ekwonu to that OL. You could be easily looking at a top 5 OL next year. That allows the Jets to run the ball very effectively. The only times Wilson had any success this year is when the running game was effective. Wilson also played a lot worse when he was under pressure, so building a super unit on the OL should, in theory, reduce the amount of pressure Wilson is under. 

Build the super unit.

I could get behind this.  A stout line, a dominant running game and protecting the Franchise.  Getter done Tanny.