Other GMs get called out too

In fact since 2004 the Jets have only drafted four WRs who have gone over 500 yds in a season
Cotchery-Bradway
Kerley-Tannenbaum
Enunwa-Idzik
Moore-Douglas 
I guess they have made decent FA makeup moves .. Marshall, Edwards?

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

45 minutes ago, doitny said:

the way they finished the season and that ugly playoff loss i expect him to take some heat. read somewhere some were questioning if Murray cant win the big games. contract time!

That's a bit harsh on Murray. He's just finished his 3rd NFL season, and QB's a position where age 28-32 is often one's playing prime (at least as a pure passer).

"Some" always question key players - especially young veteran starters - after an ugly loss. The team plan was to have Hopkins out there making things easier for the QB as the team faces playoff opponents; not just a has-been WR, a has-been TE, a slot receiver, and a RB who matadors a blitzer when said QB's dropping back into his EZ on 3rd & long (a personnel sub KK would probably like to have back, seeing how Conner is easily the superior pass blocker and no less of a receiving threat/outlet). 

Arizona had so many injuries themselves: both backs banged up; Wilson hadn't played since the first half on Christmas; Watt hadn't played since October, Hopkins out, Philips out, Butler out, and more. With that, they were going up against a Rams team that was pretty much 100% other than one safety (and while they lost Woods to an ACL in Nov, he was pretty adequately - and conveniently - replaced by OBJ who'd only signed like the day before). 

Also it's his first playoff game. I wouldn't make a career judgment over it. We should be so lucky to have this problem.

• Upvote 2

Under manned, less prepared and they ran into a freight train. It was a mauling, but I agree, you can’t throw Murray under the bus that ran them over.

I don’t know what the pre game line was, but at a glance the is was going to be a competitive game. It shows how multiple small factors can converge and result in a blow-out. Maybe gives the Rams momentum for this week. 

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

That's a bit harsh on Murray. He's just finished his 3rd NFL season, and QB's a position where age 28-32 is often one's playing prime (at least as a pure passer).

"Some" always question key players - especially young veteran starters - after an ugly loss. The team plan was to have Hopkins out there making things easier for the QB as the team faces playoff opponents; not just a has-been WR, a has-been TE, a slot receiver, and a RB who matadors a blitzer when said QB's dropping back into his EZ on 3rd & long (a personnel sub KK would probably like to have back, seeing how Conner is easily the superior pass blocker and no less of a receiving threat/outlet). 

Arizona had so many injuries themselves: both backs banged up; Wilson hadn't played since the first half on Christmas; Watt hadn't played since October, Hopkins out, Philips out, Butler out, and more. With that, they were going up against a Rams team that was pretty much 100% other than one safety (and while they lost Woods to an ACL in Nov, he was pretty adequately - and conveniently - replaced by OBJ who'd only signed like the day before). 

Also it's his first playoff game. I wouldn't make a career judgment over it. We should be so lucky to have this problem.

I think the disturbing trend for both Murray and Kingsbury is the fast starts followed by late season collapses. With Murray he seems to get banged up which may be a referendum on his size -- can he run the ball in a 17 game NFL season without being injured? On Monday night it seemed like they deliberately didn't want to run him and they struggled to get a first down in the first half. 

I've already seen some talking heads writing him off though, which is silly. But as dynamic of a player as he is he's definitely someone who feels like he has obvious weaknesses that can be exposed. I'm curious if there's thought to replacing Kingsbury in Arizona. That team feels like they aren't maximizing talent.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

One would have to assess though that Murray looked like an entirely different qb once Hopkins went down. The difference in stats and just watching those games was stark. And you cover this in part.

Murray's qb ratings with Hopkins this year:

1. 121.0 

2. 117.6

3. 93.1

4. 120.3

5.  104.1

6. 129.0

7. 121.3

8. 67 (Green Bay)

13. 136.9

14. 72.1 (Hopkins hurt near the end of the game)

Murray's ratings after the injury:

15. 72.9 (Detroit)

16. 85.9 (Indy)

17. 105.5 (Dallas)

18. 96.1 (Seattle)

19. 40.9 (Rams)

Coincidence? Possibly.  Or, Murray really missed a top 5 NFL receiver (Duh!!!!). Or the NFL is a grueling sport that wears young qbs down (although Murray did have a "break" with injury).

I have maintained for weeks here that the position of qb is an individual analysis piece where it is near impossible to compare one qb to another in terms of stats and performance. It is impossible to say that because Josh Allen did "this"  (this being "failed") his rookie season, and did "this" (this being ascended) his next year, that trajectory can then be ascribed to qb "x". The variables are too many. As well, comparing flesh and blood in tendencies is a wretched exercise in any walk of life, and those that do it are only fooling themselves.

And, I realize I just did this exact thing in response to your post!!!

In the same manner. it is impossible as well to say because "x" qb failed in year one, and failed in his career, "y" quarterback will do the same. Because, well, history.

It is such lazy analysis and I am sick of it. There is a post coming up by me which will attack this syndrome. There is a lazy, lazy analysis rampant on this board that pigeon holes athletes in neat little packages that we feel make all of us GM geniuses. It is not that easy. The variables (beside the flesh and blood part) are infinite. 

I just need to muster up the energy to fend off all the slings and arrows from those on this site that feel they need to cling to this analysis because they base their prediction ability and forecasting prowess on these types of stupid premises. 

February. Or maybe March. I have to catch Jetsfan80 when he is fatigued and distracted.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

10 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

The Jets haven’t drafted a WR who went over 1000 yds in a season since 2004 (Cotchery). 

Come one man, Mims was very close this year. He was only 867 yards short. 8 more seasons like this and he could even break the 1000 yards total for his career. You need to be fair!image.thumb.png.f4dc3aab230e9695a48844519798ad16.png

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, doitny said:

the way they finished the season and that ugly playoff loss i expect him to take some heat. read somewhere some were questioning if Murray cant win the big games. contract time!

They should be questioning whether Kingsbury can win games late into the season.  Looks like he has struggled down the stretch before at Texas Tech and in the NFL.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And the Jets don’t have a GM who has tried by drafting 10 WRs.  Which was the point

Adding to this, the Jets haven't taken a WR in the 1st round in that time span either, and Santanio Moss was the last one taken in the 1st. Before Thank you Joe Douglas Thank you, only 2 have been taken in the 2nd round this century, Hill, and Devin Smith.  Simply amazing considering it is a passing league.

5 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

In fact since 2004 the Jets have only drafted four WRs who have gone over 500 yds in a season

Cotchery-Bradway

Kerley-Tannenbaum

Enunwa-Idzik

Moore-Douglas 

And Moore did it while on IR for multiple games

1 hour ago, Jethead said:

Murray totally spit the bit. Overrated diva like Bakery Mayfield.

Career stats  -  Kyler Murray

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Career

I think I'd be happy if Zach has these kind of stats after 3 years.  He's already way behind, look at Murray's rookie year - 64% completion rate, 20TD and 12 Int.  And he went to Arizona with the first overall pick so you know he was in the same relative position with a very bad NFL team.  Hard to take shots at him, IMO, especially as a Jets fan.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NYJets43 said:

Cotchery-Bradway

Kerley-Tannenbaum

Enunwa-Idzik

Moore-Douglas 

And Elijah Moore only played 11 games. 

I say we turn this into an Elijah Moore is awesome thread. Let’s do it. 

celebrate fuck yeah GIF

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

One would have to assess though that Murray looked like an entirely different qb once Hopkins went down. The difference in stats and just watching those games was stark. And you cover this in part.

1. 121.0 

2. 117.6

3. 93.1

4. 120.3

5.  104.1

6. 129.0

7. 121.3

8. 67 (Green Bay)

13. 136.9

15. 72.9 (Detroit)

16. 85.9 (Indy)

17. 105.5 (Dallas)

18. 96.1 (Seattle)

19. 40.9 (Rams)

Coincidence? Possibly.  Or, Murray really missed a top 5 NFL receiver (Duh!!!!). Or the NFL is a grueling sport that wears young qbs down (although Murray did have a "break" with injury).

I have maintained for weeks here that the position of qb is an individual analysis piece where it is near impossible to compare one qb to another in terms of stats and performance. It is impossible to say that because Josh Allen did "this"  (this being "failed") his rookie season, and did "this" (this being ascended) his next year, that trajectory can then be ascribed to qb "x". The variables are too many. As well, comparing flesh and blood in tendencies is a wretched exercise in any walk of life, and those that do it are only fooling themselves.

In the same manner. it is impossible as well to say because "x" qb failed in year one, and failed in his career, "y" quarterback will do the same. Because, well, history.

It is such lazy analysis and I am sick of it. There is a post coming up by me which will attack this syndrome. There is a lazy, lazy analysis rampant on this board that pigeon holes athletes in neat little packages that we feel make all of us GM geniuses. It is not that easy. The variables (beside the flesh and blood part) are infinite. 

I just need to muster up the energy to fend off all the slings and arrows from those on this site that feel they need to cling to this analysis because they base their prediction ability and forecasting prowess on these types of stupid premises. 

February. Or maybe March. I have to catch Jetsfan80 when he is fatigued and distracted.

This is fantastic, and I'm ready for it. I fought the good fight on here for a bunch of years, but specifically on this site, after last year, I've basically given up. It's so ridiculous to whittle QB analysis into little proverbs like "a QB either is a FQB or isn't" or "QBs make their own weapinz" or "coaches should only call the good plays". I believe that when it comes to QBs, there are so many factors on the field, in the classrooms, in the training rooms, and even in their life away from football, that it really takes very deep dives to try to asses a QB's competence without knowing them personally - and that's what makes it absurd to compare a flailing QB's circumstances to a thriving QB's.  

Confirmation bias is also a real thing because the simple fact is that most QBs will fail. There are literally 32 possible openings and hundreds or QBs vying for them every year. Of those 32, most are either already filled or really bad circumstances. So when they predict a QB to fail after seeing some bad performances and then completely write them off - and it comes true, it's not because of some prescient ability. It's because themz the oddz. Much more difficult to actually take a stand that a QB can be good if x, y, and z occur.

That's not to say that I'm a homer for every QB we've ever taken. My history is on JN and JI for everyone to see. I really wanted to trade out of #5 and not take Sanchez. I absolutely despised the Geno pick. I was so upset about picking Darnold that I made a thread about it on draft day and got downvoted into oblivion. I spent months in the draft forum talking about how important it was for this franchise not to take Zach Wilson at #2 overall because I simply wasn't seeing the same things on tape as it seemed so many others were seeing. Still, the lazy analysis on all of those QBs once they put on the Jets uniform from that crowd actually caused me to defend some of them at times, just on principle. Because if it were as simple as they like to make it seem, then the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees would never have had losing seasons, Dan Marino should have won at least 2 SBs, the QB MVP of the season should be hoisting the Lombardi every year, and there would be no such thing as "getting better".

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Career stats  -  Kyler Murray

Year
Team
CMP%
YDS
TD
INT
Rating

Career

I think I'd be happy if Zach has these kind of stats after 3 years.  He's already way behind, look at Murray's rookie year - 64% completion rate, 20TD and 12 Int.  And he went to Arizona with the first overall pick so you know he was in the same relative position with a very bad NFL team.  Hard to take shots at him, IMO, especially as a Jets fan.

Not comparing him to Zach. He totally choked last week. Really took no ownership of the loss, just perfunctory comments. He Mayfield and Wentz....not impressed.

4 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

This is fantastic, and I'm ready for it. I fought the good fight on here for a bunch of years, but specifically on this site, after last year, I've basically given up. It's so ridiculous to whittle QB analysis into little proverbs like "a QB either is a FQB or isn't" or "QBs make their own weapinz" or "coaches should only call the good plays". I believe that when it comes to QBs, there are so many factors on the field, in the classrooms, in the training rooms, and even in their life away from football, that it really takes very deep dives to try to asses a QB's competence without knowing them personally - and that's what makes it absurd to compare a flailing QB's circumstances to a thriving QB's.  

Confirmation bias is also a real thing because the simple fact is that most QBs will fail. There are literally 32 possible openings and hundreds or QBs vying for them every year. Of those 32, most are either already filled or really bad circumstances. So when they predict a QB to fail after seeing some bad performances and then completely write them off - and it comes true, it's not because of some prescient ability. It's because themz the oddz. Much more difficult to actually take a stand that a QB can be good if x, y, and z occur.

That's not to say that I'm a homer for every QB we've ever taken. My history is on JN and JI for everyone to see. I really wanted to trade out of #5 and not take Sanchez. I absolutely despised the Geno pick. I was so upset about picking Darnold that I made a thread about it on draft day and got downvoted into oblivion. I spent months in the draft forum talking about how important it was for this franchise not to take Zach Wilson at #2 overall because I simply wasn't seeing the same things on tape as it seemed so many others were seeing. Still, the lazy analysis on all of those QBs once they put on the Jets uniform from that crowd actually caused me to defend some of them at times, just on principle. Because if it were as simple as they like to make it seem, then the likes of Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees would never have had losing seasons, Dan Marino should have won at least 2 SBs, the QB MVP of the season should be hoisting the Lombardi every year, and there would be no such thing as "getting better".

The Jets traded up for Mark Sanchez. Actually moved up from 17 to 5 and gave up very little to Do so. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

1. 121.0 

2. 117.6

3. 93.1

4. 120.3

5.  104.1

6. 129.0

7. 121.3

8. 67 (Green Bay)

13. 136.9

15. 72.9 (Detroit)

16. 85.9 (Indy)

17. 105.5 (Dallas)

18. 96.1 (Seattle)

19. 40.9 (Rams)

Yea but weapinz don’t matter. 

I read it right here on JN

• Upvote 1

I just dont get it.  Kingsbury went 5-10-1, then 8-8, now 11-6 and a playoff appearance.  And they are furious and thinking about firing everyone.  

Same thing in Dallas.  McCarthy goes 6-10 year 1 then goes 12-5, wins the division and makes the playoffs.  And they want him gone.

Same will happen here when we go 8-9 next year.  And this board will be up in arms about firing everyone.

Its really unbelievable.

• Upvote 4

1. 121.0 

2. 117.6

3. 93.1

4. 120.3

5.  104.1

6. 129.0

7. 121.3

8. 67 (Green Bay)

13. 136.9

15. 72.9 (Detroit)

16. 85.9 (Indy)

17. 105.5 (Dallas)

18. 96.1 (Seattle)

19. 40.9 (Rams)

Yes, to sway off topic a bit, my apologies. Just like Allen all of a sudden became accurate when they go Stephon  Diggs. 100% most important thing Douglas has to do is get Zach a true blue OMG #1 wideout, sorry, carry on, 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

1. 121.0 

2. 117.6

3. 93.1

4. 120.3

5.  104.1

6. 129.0

7. 121.3

8. 67 (Green Bay)

13. 136.9

15. 72.9 (Detroit)

16. 85.9 (Indy)

17. 105.5 (Dallas)

18. 96.1 (Seattle)

19. 40.9 (Rams)

I can sympathize with that, but the team was built to run a certain way, and he was the most important cog (other than Murray himself). It's not like losing post-awesome AJ Green. To that point, if Green holds onto that 20+ yard pass on the prior play then the flip-pick doesn't happen, and without being behind by 3 TDs maybe he doesn't force the next one in either. 

As you point out ("Duh!!") I don't think it's saying much to note that a QB's job with his elite WR is easier than when after he suddenly goes down, after the trade deadline, leaving the QB with two has-beens and a meh. That's on top of having his own GVR-ish guard on his OL in Garcia, and a RB who blocks like he's got money on the other team. 

So yeah I agree on the posting of QB ratings in this way, presuming that all other things are identical except this one factor (significant as that factor is), when that's just not the truth. e.g. against GB he also had two backup guards on the line (each of them lower than Garcia on their depth chart), lost some defenders, oh yeah and lost the best WR he'll ever have the good fortune of throwing to.

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I just dont get it.  Kingsbury went 5-10-1, then 8-8, now 11-6 and a playoff appearance.  And they are furious and thinking about firing everyone.  

Same thing in Dallas.  McCarthy goes 6-10 year 1 then goes 12-5, wins the division and makes the playoffs.  And they want him gone.

Same will happen here when we go 8-9 next year.  And this board will be up in arms about firing everyone.

Its really unbelievable.

its not the same as if we went 8-9 next year. but yes some here will cry like they always do.

Arizona lost 4 out of their last 5 in the season and lost their playoff game. they had the division and blew it.

you start 7-0 and 10-2 and you cant close it out. thats bad. they lost to Detroit and couldn't beat a bad Seatle team at home. 

and Dallas was the top offense in the league and wins 12 games and go out and lose their only playoff game at home. with a top 5 rated QB and a SB winning HC with tons of experience. and they cant win one playoff game?

these 2 HCs deserve to be on the hot seats.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, billo83 said:

Adding to this, the Jets haven't taken a WR in the 1st round in that time span either, and Santanio Moss was the last one taken in the 1st. Before Thank you Joe Douglas Thank you, only 2 have been taken in the 2nd round this century, Hill, and Devin Smith.  Simply amazing considering it is a passing league.

We were busy taking the best DT's available!....LOL