Notebook | GM Joe Douglas and HC Robert Saleh Bullish on Jets' Future

Bronx

14 minutes ago, Bronx said:

Watching his progression throughout the year, being in less-than-ideal situations in the back half, not having starters at skill positions -- wide receiver, running back, tight end --

Fixed - then get it right JD!

• Upvote 1

Nice optimistic article but enough of the words the time is now to have the W-L record reflect this optimistic view. Although I do believe in what they are saying and how they are going about the transformation of the organization there can be no more excuses. Not a playoff or bust scenario but a solid 8-9 win season must be achieved this year or the  faith that many of us have in the current regime will erode and it will get real ugly really fast. I want the Jets to be the ones that get retribution and run up the score as opposed to the other way around. Want us to be the dog instead of the fire hydrant

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Bronx said:

He pointed to the regular-season finale at Buffalo as a kind of signpost along the road to maturity and long-term success.

That quote by JD cracked me up. Granted Buffalo is a very good team but to twist that season finale game into a positive sign the team is heading towards success is a stretch.

53    Total Net Yards        424
4    Total Penalties        4
27    Penalty Yards        40
23:00    Time of Possession    37:00

• Upvote 1

there were just too many injuries and holes at key positions to really judge this team.  true enough a number of young players really did performa at a high level.  this alone will free up douglas to fill other glaring holes.  of course the team success will depend on these young players to continue to get better and stay on the field.  and the most important thing is wilson did turn a corner of sorts.  he strted to trust his oline and opted for a shorter passing game.  that was kind of hard because he just didn't have enough reliable receivers at times and it was obvious the run game helped.  we'll see what happens.  if douglas can get 3 or 4 blue chippers in the draft then this team could surprise next season.  in any case things have to be looking a whole lot better than they were with bowles/mac and gase.

• Upvote 1

On 1/21/2022 at 10:15 AM, slats said:

I get that this is a fluff piece, but there are plenty of reasons for optimism. Joe Douglas’ second draft was a lot better than his first, and I don’t think that was dumb luck. His approach was much different even though he went OL-WR two years in a row. In his first draft, he looked to make a splash with Becton’s HoF level upside over the safer Wirfs. In year two, he traded up for maybe the safest OL available - and it paid off. In his first year, he got cute with the trade down and probably missed on the WR he wanted so in his second he did the stick and pick in what looked like a sure fire trade down scenario and grabbed Moore, who also looks like a foundational piece. 

The entire second draft had an obvious plan to it, whereas his first was kinda scattershot. It makes sense, the team was in worse shape the previous year and needed help everywhere, but I also think the partnership with Saleh and his staff is significantly better than with Gase, and that resulted in a very targeted lottery process.  

The four win team still has a lot of holes, and I’m looking forward to see how they fill them. Pass rush on defense and receiving targets on offense would be my priorities. I’m hoping JD sees things similarly, and have a lot of reason to believe that he does. I’ll be disappointed if he takes any secondary players or IOL in the top ten, but over two drafts he seems to understand positional value pretty well, so I’m not overly concerned. 

I am not a Joe Douglas apologist, but one thing I don't see people talking about is the Adam Gase effect. In Joe's first draft he was (presumably) drafting player types who would be good fits in in Adam Gase's system. In the second draft he had a completely different set of criteria, drafting for LaFleur and Saleh's system. Also, by many accounts, the first year draft initially looked better than it does now. I wonder how much this had to do with the coaches' influence in the picks for each system.

• Upvote 3

10 hours ago, sec101row23 said:

Well if the head coach and GM aren’t “bullish” on the team, who the hell else would be? 

Hymie Elhai is bearish.  He thinks we lack talent at premium positions.  But before he can get to work on that he still is dealing with the ketchup maggot fallout.  

8 hours ago, Jet Blast said:

I am not a Joe Douglas apologist, but one thing don't see people talking about is the Adam Gase effect. In Joe's first draft he was (presumably) drafting player types who would be good fits in in Adam Gase's system. In the second draft he had a completely different set of criteria, drafting for LaFleur and Saleh's system. Also, by many accounts, the first year draft initially looked better than it does now. I wonder how much this had to do with the coaches' influence in the picks for each system.

Right--GMs cannot totally disregard the head coach and his desires in the draft. There are roster management concerns for the GM but the GM has to balance a relationship with the head coach. Even if JD thought Gase had one foot out the door by the 2020 draft JD couldn't completely ignore Gase and then have Gase hold his job another year by complaining that he wasn't given any help in the draft for his system. I'm not excusing every bad decision as a Gase influence but there is a noticeable difference in the quality of the 2020 vs. 2021 draft. 

• Upvote 2

By far, the best way to improve the team’s performance from this year to next year isn’t by adding new players. It’s by keeping this roster healthy.

It doesn’t matter if you have talented guys like Elijah Moore, Carl Lawson and Mekhi Becton if they are home watching these games on TV.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I've seen a theme that says JD gets a pass for his horrendous 2020 draft because he had to pick players that fit Gase's system.
I don't see where that draft was influenced by Gase.
Round 1: OT Mekhi Becton (No. 11 overall)
JD's stated team building strategy was to build the OL and DL lines. Gase didn't make JD take the wrong OL.
Round 2: WR Denzel Mims (59)
Jets needed WR & this draft was deep, JD picked a dog.
Round 3: S Ashtyn Davis (68)
This looks like a long term GM type of pick. Does anyone think Gase wanted a safety? JD picked another winner.
Round 3: DE Jabari Zuniga (79)
Gase was pounding the table for this monster. He didn't want another WR, Mims was more than enough.
Round 4: RB La’Mical Perine (120)
OK - Gase was desperate after wasting two thirds on D.
Round 4: QB James Morgan (125)
Yeah, Gase wanted a developmental QB
Round 5: CB Bryce Hall (158)
Best pick of JD's draft.
Round 6: P Braden Mann (191)

2020 draft belongs solely to JD and unless Becton turns it around it could be one of the worst in Jets history.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

I've seen a theme that says JD gets a pass for his horrendous 2020 draft because he had to pick players that fit Gase's system.
JD's stated team building strategy was to build the OL and DL lines. Gase didn't make JD take the wrong OL.
This looks like a long term GM type of pick. Does anyone think Gase wanted a safety? JD picked another winner.
Gase was pounding the table for this monster. He didn't want another WR, Mims was more than enough.
Best pick of JD's draft.

2020 draft belongs solely to JD and unless Becton turns it around it could be one of the worst in Jets history.

JD's first draft was bad.  There's no sugar coating it, anyone saying otherwise isn't living in reality.

Now, if Becton actually ends up being a long term starter (which I doubt) and Hall continues on his growth then you landed a starting LT and starting CB - still not good, but not terrible either.

If Becton doesn't play the majority of games next year - this will and should go down as one of the worst drafts in Jets history.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/21/2022 at 8:12 AM, sec101row23 said:

Well if the head coach and GM aren’t “bullish” on the team, who the hell else would be? 

Exactly…..   they both have a lot to prove. JDs drafts have been head shaking at best and Saleh has appeared to not know WTF he is doing.    Ill wait for results…..   and get down voted by the homers for this post who believe a 9 win season is the SB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • WTF? 1

10 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Exactly…..   they both have a lot to prove. JDs drafts have been head shaking at best and Saleh has appeared to not know WTF he is doing.    Ill wait for results…..   and get down voted by the homers for this post who believe a 9 win season is the SB. 

2020 was a bad draft, 2021 was very good.  "head shaking"?

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Best pick of JD's draft.

Becton fits Gases OL better than LaFleurs.  

Mims is a better fit for Gases O

There isnt a scenario available where this could possibly be one of the worst drafts in Jets history.  Becton is a player no matter how you look at it, he doesnt have to turn anything around, he just has to stay healthy, not have a teammate roll up his kneee.  

Hall is a player, Mann isnt going anywhere.  

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

JDs drafts have been head shaking at best and Saleh has appeared to not know WTF he is doing.  

Really, last years draft was a head shaker?  For who?

How did Saleh appear to not know WTF he was doing?  Because we lost games?  I hear this and say, where are the example of him not knowing WTF  he was doing?  

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Becton fits Gases OL better than LaFleurs.  

Mims is a better fit for Gases O

There isnt a scenario available where this could possibly be one of the worst drafts in Jets history.  Becton is a player no matter how you look at it, he doesnt have to turn anything around, he just has to stay healthy, not have a teammate roll up his kneee.  

Hall is a player, Mann isnt going anywhere.  

Becton had many red flags and they're turning out to be true. As the GM JD should have nixed the Becton pick even if Gase demanded it. Wirfs was the pick all day long. 

How does a bust pick in Mims fit better in any HC's offense, just a bad pick by the GM.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

By far, the best way to improve the team’s performance from this year to next year isn’t by adding new players. It’s by keeping this roster healthy.

It doesn’t matter if you have talented guys like Elijah Moore, Carl Lawson and Mekhi Becton if they are home watching these games on TV.

That's why JD acquired LDT!

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Big_Slick said:

Best pick of JD's draft.

Yeah - but get off it already.

It’s been well documented and I’m tired of it.  The man has nailed the biggest decisions so far.  The franchise changing decisions. Can you imagine keeping Sam Darnold? How about caving to Jamal Adams as Mac would’ve done? Mac would’ve signed Jordan Jenkins to a 3 year extension worth $21 mill, he would’ve given Kenny Golladay $18 mill and Urban Meyer or some schmuck retread would be our HC right now.

We are flush with young promising players, loaded with draft picks and cash. 

So yeah the 2020 draft was bad. It’s a small slice of the pie right now. So sure I’m a JD “apologist” because this team is being built exactly how it should be.

• Upvote 1