(From October 2021) Former NFL Player Dwight Smith Implies The NFL Is Rigged

Just my .02 and YMMV.....

Of course it's rigged....All one had to do was watch the Chargers Raiders game a couple of weeks ago where, miraculously and against all odds, both teams were playing for a tie right up until the end of overtime which would have seen them both in the playoffs and the Steelers out.  It heightened the drama, Big Ben's retirement, potentially bounced from playoffs, blah blah blah, kept everybody watching right till the end and increased the real time betting opportunities for Fan Duel, etc.  Then, all of a sudden San Diego, for no real good reason, calls a time out????  Yep its rigged.

But in all honesty, we all still watch it... and will continue to.  The action, the strategy, the really great plays and the bone head ones...... its better than almost all the crap on TV these days.  Do I miss the old NFL, sure......... But this one's better than nothing....

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I mean it’s pretty obvious, idk how you can’t see it at this point. The terrible calls from the refs is the obvious point but the situations where teams make decisions that directly affect the spread is the dead giveaway.

On a personal note,  football always had this WWE type feeling to me where you always can expect the top stars to always be in the final dance any team without one of these top stars = DOA. 

• Upvote 2

Absolutely ridiculous. the NFL is an 8 billion dollar a year industry, each franchise is worth hundreds of million to multi billions and they rake in this money no matter who wins. If any of you think that these billionaire [many of them carrying stadium debt] owners are going to risk their fortunes to get a desired outcome you're nuts. A conspiracy that big would be impossible. All it would take is one person blowing the whistle and there's no more NFL. Even Woody wouldn't be that stupid. 

America-land of  conspiracy idiocy 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 3

9 minutes ago, NamathToSauer said:

Absolutely ridiculous. the NFL is an 8 billion dollar a year industry, each franchise is worth hundreds of million to multi billions and they rake in this money no matter who wins. If any of you think that these billionaire [many of them carrying stadium debt] owners are going to risk their fortunes to get a desired outcome you're nuts. A conspiracy that big would be impossible. All it would take is one person blowing the whistle and there's no more NFL. Even Woody wouldn't be that stupid. 

Woody, is that you?

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, NamathToSauer said:

Black balled players and coaches along with incinerated tapes say hi.  Rumor has it that the Commishioners private plane is going to be selling space for MGM sports book on the fusilage next season.

I’m listening - now show me the evidence.

Fixed games in the modern NFL would be one of the biggest stories in the history of professional sports (probably the biggest). There should be plenty of whistleblowers looking for immunity and a payday who can corroborate these sort of accusations. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, NamathToSauer said:

Isn't the NBA a huge business though? They had a gambling scandal with the refs that you know was much larger than they let on.  It was a brilliant PR job to get people to minimize it and now they've mostly forgotten about it.

Also, haven't there been scandals in college basketball, college football, tennis and soccer?

Again, I'm not saying that the NFL is rigged but I don't think it's impossible.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

There's simply zero evidence anything is even remotely rigged on a wide scale and it would be the scandal to end all scandals.

Anyone who actually believes this... Well, if you don't have anything nice to say.

"It could never happen in a major sport"

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/25980368/how-former-ref-tim-donaghy-conspired-fix-nba-games

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

On 1/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, BurntDice said:

There was this YouTuber I used to watch that was dead set on exposing how the nfl was rigged. He lasted a few months then somehow disappeared…makes you think  

It does make me think!

More specifically, it makes me think that he probably ran out of content because there is no tangible evidence that the NFL is fixed. 

People always bring up bad calls - but human incompetence is always more likely than massive conspiracy. The burden of proof is on the folks alleging conspiracy, not the other way around.  

• Upvote 3

Any "rigging" being done would be between a person and a bettor, or a cabal and a bettor who is trying to determine something to get the W in his or her bets.  A coach calling a t/o at a weird time is not evidence of anything like that.  Could the coach be doing something?  Sure, but I doubt anyone else know other than him and whomever else is directly involved.  Big "Conspiracies" with anything more than 2 people are bullsh*t.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

I'm not sure what you're quoting there but

1) I said widespread. The NBA was not rigged in a widespread manner.

2) It's much harder to one rogue official to have that big of an impact on an NFL game than it is for an NBA ref.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's not evidence of the NBA being rigged. That's one bad seed. 

Could there be one or two corrupt officials in the NFL? sure. But that doesn't mean the NFL is "rigged"

If you think it was "one bad seed" then I have a bridge to sell you.  

• Post of the Week 1

Ok, I have to ask . . . 

For the folks who sincerely believe that the NFL is "rigged" - why do you watch? Why do you continue to follow the Jets? Are you hoping that, one day, the NFL decides to "rig" the season in the Jets favor? If so, would you actually derive legitimate satisfaction from this? Is this just compartmentalization - one part of your brain roots for the Jets, while the other part thinks the NFL is fundamentally indistinguishable from the WWE? I'm genuinely curious. 

• Haha 1