Jump to content

(From October 2021) Former NFL Player Dwight Smith Implies The NFL Is Rigged


TuscanyTile2
 Share

Recommended Posts

There were plenty of suspicions that Ronnie Harmon threw the 1986 Rose Bowl.

https://qns.com/2002/07/harmon-still-chased-by-fix-rumor-16-years-later/

Harmon, who had fumbled just once all season, coughed up the ball four times in the first half alone and also dropped what appeared to be a sure touchdown catch in the 48-25 loss to underdog UCLA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

If you think it was "one bad seed" then I have a bridge to sell you.  

Ok, but before we draw up the contract for the bridge - where's your proof? You know, besides the word of a convict with an axe to grind? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the league is certainly influenced to create parity but it would not shock me if it went further than that.

Jones and Kraft used to own a stake in DraftKings, not sure if they still do but I would have thought that was a conflict of interest. Apparently as long as the majority of your income does not come from casinos or gambling its legit.

Honestly i always thought the Patriots winning after 9/11 thanks to the tuck rule was too perfect for military recruitment. My tinfoil hat may not be dialed in correctly though.

  • Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, but before we draw up the contract for the bridge - where's your proof? You know, besides the word of a convict with an axe to grind? 

I have no proof other than common sense.  The NBA had to cover that up or risk being destroyed.  And the other major sports also wanted it covered up because it would raise doubts in people's minds about those sports too. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

 

I'm not sure what you're quoting there but

1) I said widespread. The NBA was not rigged in a widespread manner.

2) It's much harder to one rogue official to have that big of an impact on an NFL game than it is for an NBA ref.

I don't know if it is or isn't but once you see that it's happened, doesn't that sort of open the floodgates that it could be more widespread?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NamathToSauer said:

Absolutely ridiculous. the NFL is an 8 billion dollar a year industry, each franchise is worth hundreds of million to multi billions and they rake in this money no matter who wins. If any of you think that these billionaire [many of them carrying stadium debt] owners are going to risk their fortunes to get a desired outcome you're nuts. A conspiracy that big would be impossible. All it would take is one person blowing the whistle and there's no more NFL. Even Woody wouldn't be that stupid. 

America-land of  conspiracy idiocy 

Would it be an 8bb industry without manipulating the games and league?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know if it is or isn't but once you see that it's happened, doesn't that sort of open the floodgates that it could be more widespread?  

Are you arguing that there could theoretically be corrupt refs? Because to me that is not what "rigged" means.

"Rigged" means there is a coordinated, concerted, widespread effort to control the outcome of games. I don't buy that for a second. 

Mark Twain said, "two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.”

The widespread conspiracy crap is just nonsense. It would leak and everyone involved would go to jail.

 

  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Are you arguing that there could theoretically be corrupt refs? Because to me that is not what "rigged" means.

"Rigged" means there is a coordinated, concerted, widespread effort to control the outcome of games. I don't buy that for a second. 

Mark Twain said, "two people can keep a secret if one of them is dead.”

The widespread conspiracy crap is just nonsense. It would leak and everyone involved would go to jail.

I don't think they would ever risk anything massive.  If they were to rig these games it would probably be through the refs or through a player who was in deep trouble (maybe gambling debt).  But if that were going on (or even if people believed it was going on), that would destroy the sport.  

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter if the corruption is "widespread" (e.g. they're buying off a bunch of players, coaches, refs, etc).  If there were those "small" examples, it would quickly destroy confidence in the sport and probably all the major sports.  It's amazing that it didn't happen after Donaghy.  That was an unbelievable PR job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think they would ever risk anything massive.  If they were to rig these games it would probably be through the refs or through a player who was in deep trouble (maybe gambling debt).  But if that were going on (or even if people believed it was going on), that would destroy the sport.  

Just so we are on the same page - Who is "they?"

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't think they would ever risk anything massive.  If they were to rig these games it would probably be through the refs or through a player who was in deep trouble (maybe gambling debt).  But if that were going on (or even if people believed it was going on), that would destroy the sport.  

Ultimately, though, it doesn't matter if the corruption is "widespread" (e.g. they're buying off a bunch of players, coaches, refs, etc).  If there were those "small" examples, it would quickly destroy confidence in the sport and probably all the major sports.  It's amazing that it didn't happen after Donaghy.  That was an unbelievable PR job.

Um, yes it does.

There are people in this thread claiming "WWE level" fixing. That is obviously ridiculous but very, very different than one line judge calling too many penalties.

(For reference, below is a link to the officials responsibilities which pretty much prove you'd need the whole crew "in on it" to meaningfully change the outcome of the game.)

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/officials-responsibilities-positions/

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, I have to ask . . . 

For the folks who sincerely believe that the NFL is "rigged" - why do you watch? Why do you continue to follow the Jets? Are you hoping that, one day, the NFL decides to "rig" the season in the Jets favor? If so, would you actually derive legitimate satisfaction from this? Is this just compartmentalization - one part of your brain roots for the Jets, while the other part thinks the NFL is fundamentally indistinguishable from the WWE? I'm genuinely curious. 

The world is like Horse Racing in the 1980's and the real bettors know to go at the end of the season and bet on the Jockeys who didn't win at all during the year.  Because the Jockeys all get together and figure out who got what and even out the winnings.  But instead it's the NFL and they just don't want the biggest markets to be any good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Um, yes it does.

There are people in this thread claiming "WWE level" fixing. That is obviously ridiculous but very, very different than one line judge calling too many penalties.

(For reference, below is a link to the officials responsibilities which pretty much prove you'd need the whole crew "in on it" to meaningfully change the outcome of the game.)

https://operations.nfl.com/officiating/the-officials/officials-responsibilities-positions/

The reason I don't think it matters is that if there were small examples that were proven, it would raise a LOT of doubts in people's minds that not only the NFL, but all sports are rigged.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't know exactly.  I would guess "organized crime".

Ok, but the mob being the culprits would point towards isolated incidents of gambling addict refs owing the wrong people money and betting on games themselves (i. e. Tim Donaghy).

This is very different from any of these leagues being “fixed” or “rigged” on a massive scale. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Larz said:

Bubba Smith claimed for years that Earl Morrall threw SB III. Makes sense, he threw like 3 red zone picks and never even looked at the intended target on a flea flicker who was open by 10 yards 

Neil O'Donnell threw the SB against Dallas.

He was a big gambler back in the day

Link to comment
Share on other sites

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1993-09-21-sp-37347-story.html

Blackjack Cost Tose More Than a Fortune : Gambling: Former owner of the Philadelphia Eagles lost millions of dollars, his wife and, he says, his pride and dignity.

 

The Eagles once had an owner who lost it all on gambling.  Who knows what that could've led to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If it was truly rigged;

The NY/NJ market would have a good football team… not this drek.

On the other hand; Jacksonville beating Buffalo 9-6 was very suspicious…

NY would have plenty of fans anyway.

It's the other areas that need winning to thrive.   Giants got theirs for a bit though.  It's really the important owners that win.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, I have to ask . . . 

For the folks who sincerely believe that the NFL is "rigged" - why do you watch? Why do you continue to follow the Jets? Are you hoping that, one day, the NFL decides to "rig" the season in the Jets favor? If so, would you actually derive legitimate satisfaction from this? Is this just compartmentalization - one part of your brain roots for the Jets, while the other part thinks the NFL is fundamentally indistinguishable from the WWE? I'm genuinely curious. 

love the mockery but you wouldn’t believe how much $ one can generate from sports betting just by looking at professional sports like a TV script.

But anyways I wouldn’t expect most to understand how or why these billionaires rig games but to keep it simple, using a  quote from the author of the book “The fix is in”, Brian Tuohy: “Would you leave a multi-billion dollar industry up to chance?”  (I reconnected this book to anyone who thinks professional sports is legit)
 

Another fascinating thing is a former SB MVP in OP’s video, is literally telling you: “The game is not decided on the field, period.” and people in here are typing: “Where is the proof of the league being rigged? “ - 😂🤣😂🤣🤣

I guess he’s a “bitter ex player” huh 🤷‍♂️ -this is  the same way people think of  Hollywood whistle blowers when they come forward.

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Ok, I have to ask . . . 

For the folks who sincerely believe that the NFL is "rigged" - why do you watch? Why do you continue to follow the Jets? Are you hoping that, one day, the NFL decides to "rig" the season in the Jets favor? If so, would you actually derive legitimate satisfaction from this? Is this just compartmentalization - one part of your brain roots for the Jets, while the other part thinks the NFL is fundamentally indistinguishable from the WWE? I'm genuinely curious. 

I watched pro wrestling as a kid.  It’s more popular than ever.   I watch election results into the late night.  I turn into CNBC to watch the stock and Bond market.  I check the price of Crypto currencies.   Football is entertainment.  It’s modern day gladiators.  If it wasn’t rigged the Lions would win the SB every year.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, oatmeal said:

I mean it’s pretty obvious, idk how you can’t see it at this point. The terrible calls from the refs is the obvious point but the situations where teams make decisions that directly affect the spread is the dead giveaway.
 

On a personal note,  football always had this WWE type feeling to me where you always can expect the top stars to always be in the final dance any team without one of these top stars = DOA. 

So it’s not just the refs, it CSs too playing with the scores? All,these 100s of people involved year after years and not one word leaks out anywhere.  Not even close.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So it’s not just the refs, it CSs too playing with the scores? All,these 100s of people involved year after years and not one word leaks out anywhere.  Not even close.  

No, you don’t need everyone in on it. For example in the 70s and 80s when the mob was rigging games all they needed was the QB, refs and a couple of team captains. 
 

 I believe it’s still this way and things like analytics help greatly. Now when fans question why certain dumb calls where made by coaches they can just say analytics.

Also look at the final week of the season, nobody found it odd things went perfectly for the nfl to maximize playoff drama? Starting from earlier in the day with the colts “upset”. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

No, you don’t need everyone in on it. For example in the 70s and 80s when the mob was rigging games all they needed was the QB, refs and a couple of team captains. 
 

 I believe it’s still this way and things like analytics help greatly. Now when fans question why certain dumb calls where made by coaches they can just say analytics.

Also look at the final week of the season, nobody found it odd things went perfectly for the nfl to maximize playoff drama? Starting from earlier in the day with the colts “upset”. 

LOL, when was the mob rigging games in the 70's and 80's?  

All you needed was the QB, the refs, and a couple of team captains?  Thats it?  

Funny, when a team kicks a FG its because of a fix.  When they dont its because of a fix.  Reality, that person lost their bet and needs an excuse. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, RoadFan said:

If it was truly rigged;

The NY/NJ market would have a good football team… not this drek.

On the other hand; Jacksonville beating Buffalo 9-6 was very suspicious…

Maybe, but people will always come to NY, even for horrible football. I think you are thinking too big on this. It only needs to be the guys/gals in the stripes and only one or two fo them. 

I used to wonder why some of these doctor's or lawyers would be NFL part time refs? Maybe they owed a lot of money at the tables? WHat exactly qualifies them to be an NFL ref? Maybe not.

I never thought any player had anything to do with throwing a game. Curtis Martin was a really good player who rarely fumbled, but he dropped the pumpkin a few times to Denver in the AFC CG; so what. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/199901170den.htm

Not the type of guy you would ever even consider to throw a game; just a bad day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...