Jump to content

Giants hire Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen


Rhg1084
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I cant agree with that. Dolphins are our rival and division opponent. He cares what the Giants do?

Disagree unless you're over 50.  The Dolphins haven't been a rival since the Marino days.  They should be moved to the AFC South.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Disagree unless you're over 50.  The Dolphins haven't been a rival since the Marino days.  They should be moved to the AFC South.

I am 52 and I meant to say who cares? The Dolphins will always be our rival

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Giants are expected to request permission to speak with former Dolphins' HC Brian Flores for their HC position, per sources."

 

Request permission ? ? ? From whom the Dolphins ?

I understand that Flores is being paid off from a guaranteed contract. So why on earth would the Dolphins say no ? If anything the Phish would welcome and facilitate any talks. Once Flores accepts another position the old contract goes POOF !

  • Upvote 2
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

I'm a Jet fan since 1965.  I still hate the Dolphins and Raiders more than any other teams.  Giants are close.

Don’t forget the Patriots. Still remember when Grogan beat us 56-3 Remember that was the game that Mickey Shuler was a rookie broke his hand or wrist and ran on the field with a wet cast and had a little go with Hassleback their tight end who was really rubbing the drubbing in Jets faces 

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, WestCoastMole said:

"Giants are expected to request permission to speak with former Dolphins' HC Brian Flores for their HC position, per sources."

 

Request permission ? ? ? From whom the Dolphins ?

I understand that Flores is being paid off from a guaranteed contract. So why on earth would the Dolphins say no ? If anything the Phish would welcome and facilitate any talks. Once Flores accepts another position the old contract goes POOF !

 

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

Wait.......who do the Giants need permission from to interview an unemployed Head Coach?

It's a paperwork thing. Brian Flores was not 'fired' from the organization. He was 'relieved of head coaching duties'. The contracts often stipulate having to pay him so he remains on the books and employed. A vengeful organization could force Flores to come back and work for them (which, of course, would be a disaster so they don't.) 

They won't refuse because as mentioned, they would like someone else to pay his salary. They could also say refuse to let him interview with a division rival or something which we all wish they had done with Adam Gase. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

 

It's a paperwork thing. Brian Flores was not 'fired' from the organization. He was 'relieved of head coaching duties'. The contracts often stipulate having to pay him so he remains on the books and employed. A vengeful organization could force Flores to come back and work for them (which, of course, would be a disaster so they don't.) 

They won't refuse because as mentioned, they would like someone else to pay his salary. They could also say refuse to let him interview with a division rival or something which we all wish they had done with Adam Gase. 

Oh.  Well, that does make some sense.  I've just never heard it stated as "permission" before.

Did that High School wherever Gase landed have to ask the Johnson's for permission?  *chuckle*

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Don’t forget the Patriots. Still remember when Grogan beat us 56-3 Remember that was the game that Mickey Shuler was a rookie broke his hand or wrist and ran on the field with a wet cast and had a little go with Hassleback their tight end who was really rubbing the drubbing in Jets faces 

Of course, I didn't like the Pats back then.  But I never saw them as our rivals.  For the most part, until Belicheat arrived, they sucked as bad as us.

Yup.  Definitely remember that Shuler moment.  He's still one of my all time favorite Jets.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

That's fair, I really wanted him last year, just seems very innovative on offense, and Im sorry but Josh Allen was a pretty lame prospect. He needs to get credit for what he turned into.

Schefter is running off at the mouth. The Gints will interview Daboll but the Rooney Rule will require them to interview minority candidates. It seems a foregone conclusion that with Schoen running the operation the Gints will bring in Leslie Frazer. And to me it seems Frazer has a better chance of landing the job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

 

Daboll is one of those guys I wanted initially last year... Until I actually reviewed his resume.

Forget the fact that you never know if a playcaller will be a good HC -- he had never actually had any success as an OC until the Bills job. Didn't work out with the Browns, Dolphins or Chiefs, Alabama fans were fine to drive him to the airport when he wanted to return to the NFL.

Couple that with rumblings that Ken Dorsey deserves more credit than Daboll for Josh Allen's development and the case for Daboll becomes pretty thin.

The thing I notice is that "hot names" are often the coordinators that got good results on good teams. It makes a little bit of sense. The issue. though. is that these coordinators are often leading offenses and defenses with good to great players and also units that stayed healthy mostly for the season.  Additionally, being a strong coordinator says nothing about your organizational or leadership skills which are the most important elements of being a HC. So you select one of the flavor of the year coordinators and rely on a couple interviews to ferret out their leadership and organizational competence.

If I were looking for a head coach I would like at coordinators that had little talent, lots of injuries and still managed to perform. I would also look at special teams guys as they have some of the skills a head coach needs.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, NYJ37/12 said:

I cant agree with that. Dolphins are our rival and division opponent. He cares what the Giants do?

cause we will hear about the Giants every day.

on tv, on the radio, at work, at home, with our friends.... we all know a few Giant fans.

the Dolphins? i rather hear crap 2 weeks a year than all year long.

i will admit here to everyone on JN that.................. i rooted for the Pats in both there SBs against the Giants.

why? cause what i fear would happen did.

Giant fans: we beat TB12 TWICE in the SB. stopped them from going undefeated. Eli is a Patriot killer. Eli gets into the HOF because of those 2 wins.

if the Pats would have won so what. there still a great dynasty. does it really hurt us? are people going to annoy you every day because of it? no

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Ruby2 said:

Really would prefer if Daboll doesn't end up there as hc

I would love it if they take Daboll. Need him out of the division. If he could go somewhere else, yes go to another team. But if it is Giants or nothing, take him.

Break up the Bills lol.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Larz said:

Aren’t you a Giants fan ?

Huh?  I'm a Jet fan.  I've only been on this site for like 8 years.  Lol

I guess I'm so on the dark side with this franchise right now that maybe it doesn't seem like I'm a fan.  :)

  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

 

It's a paperwork thing. Brian Flores was not 'fired' from the organization. He was 'relieved of head coaching duties'. The contracts often stipulate having to pay him so he remains on the books and employed. A vengeful organization could force Flores to come back and work for them (which, of course, would be a disaster so they don't.) 

They won't refuse because as mentioned, they would like someone else to pay his salary. They could also say refuse to let him interview with a division rival or something which we all wish they had done with Adam Gase. 

The Giants don’t need permission from the Dol-Homs to interview Flores.  He’s free to interview wherever he wants including the AFCE.  Relieved of his duties or fired, same thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Huh?  I'm a Jet fan.  I've only been on this site for like 8 years.  Lol

I guess I'm so on the dark side with this franchise right now that maybe it doesn't seem like I'm a fan.  :)

Well maybe stop spamming the board with the most negative depressing topics you can think of then ?  I legit thought you were a troll lol

  • Post of the Week 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Larz said:

Well maybe stop spamming the board with the most negative depressing topics you can think of then ?  I legit thought you were a troll lol

LMAO!  I think when you're a realist Jet fan (which is what I think I am) then you get looked at in this way.

Btw, you can post your way.  I'll post my way.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

They won't refuse because as mentioned, they would like someone else to pay his salary. They could also say refuse to let him interview with a division rival or something which we all wish they had done with Adam Gase. 

You kidding? They wanted us to waste 2 years on the guy and were thrilled he stayed in the division; they probably laughed their asses off when we hired him.

  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, CSNY said:

Don’t forget the Patriots. Still remember when Grogan beat us 56-3 Remember that was the game that Mickey Shuler was a rookie broke his hand or wrist and ran on the field with a wet cast and had a little go with Hassleback their tight end who was really rubbing the drubbing in Jets faces 

Grogan, the only QB with a neck roll...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

LMAO!  I think when you're a realist Jet fan (which is what I think I am) then you get looked at in this way.

Btw, you can post your way.  I'll post my way.

Great Covid thread!

you got Brady’s nuts off your chin yet?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...