Daniel Jeremiah 2022 Mock 1/21/22

4 minutes ago, mrcoops said:

Not bad.

Personally, I'd go Ekwonu at 4 and then Walker or Karlafitis at 10, but Jeremiah's picks aren't too bad either.

I like that he mentioned Ekwonu in his write-up for pick 4. I hope he's the pick as well and Thibs is off the board before we pick. Can't say I'm excited to draft Thibs after that Joel Klatt interview, but his potential is undeniable. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious if JD will shock us all and take a CB high. It just seems so clearly not what he's going to do but everyone including his buddy Jeremiah keep mocking it.

Maybe his buddy is helping him out by publishing a little smoke. I can see the generational safety high before a CB, and that also seems like a major stretch. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

15 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious if JD will shock us all and take a CB high.

He won't. His HC doesn't run a system that requires lock down CBs so why make that investment when there are far greater needs at hand. Even last year while running a defensive backfield of mostly young nobodies who were filling in for other young nobodies they started getting a lot better towards the end of the year.  They need a pass rush, oline, and reliable targets for Z-Dub.

• Upvote 4

I actually think this is a really interesting mock. The 1-2-3 make a ton of sense, I could absolutely see Houston taking Hamilton at 3. Feels very much like a Patriots regime type pick.

The Ekwonu/Thibodeaux debate is interesting as Jeremiah also loved Becton and I could see Douglas also having Ekwonu as interesting.

DJ always does silly stuff with the Jets that doesn’t make scheme sense. It was Etienne in the first last year.

Burks at 8 makes sense, DJ loves the big WR’s, jives with the rumors from the draft board he’s going to fly in the 40.

Travon Walker as a riser is potentially very Jets relevant, as is QB’s going at 9 and 11 if they potentially want to move off 10.

• Upvote 1

Disrupt the play before it can get started with strong Edge and DT play (Saleh's preferred) IF YOU CAN GET THE RIGHT PLAYERS, or just do your best on the Dline and put your money in the backend with a shutdown DB. 

Dont need BOTH Arron Donald AND Derrel Revis, but you need at least one.

So if FA fails to get us strong Edge help AND both top Edge guys are gone by #4, then ya, gotta get help somewhere, might as well be DB. Maybe even Kyle (S).

If either top Edge guy fall to 4, you can cross DB (and Kyle) off the list.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I can't tell whether we're overthinking Thibs or not.

Is he going to be a dominant QB killer or a flame-out malcontent jerkoff?

Cannot afford to screw this up. As fans we ate enough poop this year that we gotta hit that pick.

Where is the "jerk" stuff coming from for Thibs?  Genuinely curious.  Most of the stuff I see for him shows a really smart guy who has done nothing but exactly what he promised.  I would like to know if he's a Gholston in disguise or if this is b.s. because he's intelligent? #1 college recruit, doing everything there to be the probable #1 draft pick for the NFL?!?!  That's turning in your homework with everybody watching you.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm curious if JD will shock us all and take a CB high. It just seems so clearly not what he's going to do but everyone including his buddy Jeremiah keep mocking it.

It just doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense for this system. 

also, we have a few promising young corners. It would seem to make more sense to add a quality vet CB in FA 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Origen said:

Where is the "jerk" stuff coming from for Thibs?  Genuinely curious.  Most of the stuff I see for him shows a really smart guy who has done nothing but exactly what he promised.  I would like to know if he's a Gholston in disguise or if this is b.s. because he's intelligent? #1 college recruit, doing everything there to be the probable #1 draft pick for the NFL?!?!  That's turning in your homework with everybody watching you.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

A cornerback is definitely in play with one of our first two picks.

Douglas hasn’t had enough drafts to identify tendencies so I don't think we can say that he absolutely doesn’t draft corners high. And Saleh had Richard Sherman in SF so I don’t agree that good corners aren’t necessary for his system. 

Last, our cornerbacks outside of Hall sucked last year. They were not even close to adequate. 

• Upvote 3

Make that 2nd pick a WR or an OL and this would be the best case scenario. 

Drafting CBs high in today's NFL is dumb as the league continues to skew the rules towards offenses. And Saleh's/SF's track record in the draft recently shows they don't take CBs high. The highest drafted guy was Ahkello Witherspoon in the 3rd round in the 2017 draft. 

And if last year's draft is any indication, they'll look at CB later in the draft with scheme fits. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Origen said:

He just comes off as if he thinks he's the best. Feel like he'd get humbled real quick in the NFL and then opt to go a different direction outside of football once his first contract is over. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

He just comes off as if he thinks he's the best. Feel like he'd get humbled real quick in the NFL and then opt to go a different direction outside of football once his first contract is over. 

Lol, makes my Strahan comment hurt!  I'm hoping for more HoF career before he goes to space tho...

45 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

He won't. His HC doesn't run a system that requires lock down CBs so why make that investment when there are far greater needs at hand. Even last year while running a defensive backfield of mostly young nobodies who were filling in for other young nobodies they started getting a lot better towards the end of the year.  They need a pass rush, oline, and reliable targets for Z-Dub.

Saleh was part of the coaching staff that drafted Ramsey high for the Jags. They were running the same system. Saleh has talked about how Ramsey took that Jags defense to the next level.

I think people are downplaying CB in his system. Obviously pass rush first. But CBs are important.

Hell no to Stingley. But Gardner and McDuffie should be in play at #10. It all depends on FA though.

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's a real possibility we come down with Ridley. If so, I can see him going D with the top two picks. Assuming we give up a #2 for Ridley, would love to see McBride as the next pick. If it were me, I wouldn't mind going Edge, move back and pick recoup a second (from Ridley trade) grab Linderbaum and then McBride and still have a pick for a top corner or LB.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Origen said:

Love it.  I'm not waiting for the clock to start if he's available.  That guys comes to NYC and can dominate and be bigger than Strahan in media.

I had a different feeling about it. Dude sounded like he chose a college program based off branding and being near Nike HQ as opposed to winning championships.

I can't say that isn't smart from a business standpoint, but does he care about winning? If he's like Revis, that's great, even if he's a headache sometimes - but he also might have some Clowney in him - a dude with ridiculous talent that never quite lived up to his billing.

Idk, it makes me nervous.