Daniel Jeremiah 2022 Mock 1/21/22

16 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

A cornerback is definitely in play with one of our first two picks.

Douglas hasn’t had enough drafts to identify tendencies so I don't think we can say that he absolutely doesn’t draft corners high. And Saleh had Richard Sherman in SF so I don’t agree that good corners aren’t necessary for his system. 

Last, our cornerbacks outside of Hall sucked last year. They were not even close to adequate. 

Many think due to us drafting a bunch of late round CBs last draft is an indication of how we value them. When in all it was just an effort to make up for striking out in signing CBs to 1 years deals in FA. Just imagine how disastrous it would have been had we not brought them in?

As you said with Sherman, why did they offer him a 3 year, $39 mil deal instead of just using a 5th rounder to get their Michael Carter, Echols or Pinnock? 

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Saleh was part of the coaching staff that drafted Ramsey high for the Jags. They were running the same system. Saleh has talked about how Ramsey took that Jags defense to the next level.

I think people are downplaying CB in his system. Obviously pass rush first. But CBs are important.

Hell no to Stingley. But Gardner and McDuffie should be in play at #10.

Clearly having superior talent makes things better, I don't deny that as it's pretty obvious, but they aren't necessary for the system to work. A consistent pass rush will make the DBs look a lot better as will being vets instead of rookies next year. If there weren't a lot of other pressing needs then tee up that elite CB, but LB, TE, WR, OL are more of a priority in my eyes. Depending how they feel about Lawson coming off the injury and the development of a guy like Huff; DL may be a priority ahead of DB too. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

32 minutes ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Clearly having superior talent makes things better, I don't deny that as it's pretty obvious, but they aren't necessary for the system to work. A consistent pass rush will make the DBs look a lot better as will being vets instead of rookies next year. If there weren't a lot of other pressing needs then tee up that elite CB, but LB, TE, WR, OL are more of a priority in my eyes. Depending how they feel about Lawson coming off the injury and the development of a guy like Huff; DL may be a priority ahead of DB too. 

Right. But that’s why i think it’s premature to say there’s no way we go corner in the first. If we come out of this FA period with a good OL and a WR, we have Edge, CB, LB, TE and S left to address. Edge at #4 check. There’s no TE worth a 1st round pick. So we’re left with S, CB and LB. Who’s going to have a bigger impact, a WLB or a CB?

Too many reasonable scenarios can happen to just say, there’s no way we go corner. Now if we don't solidify the OL and get a WR before the draft, then I’m on the no corner boat as well.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

Right. But that’s why i think it’s premature to say there’s no way we go corner in the first. If we come out of this FA period with a good OL and a WR, we have Edge, CB, LB, TE and S left to address. Edge at #4 check. There’s no TE worth a 1st round pick. So we’re left with S, CB and LB. Who’s going to have a bigger impact, a WLB or a CB?

Too many reasonable scenarios can okay out to just say, there’s no way we go corner. Now if we don't solidify the OL and get a WR before the draft, then I’m on the no corner boat as well.

FA is a very good point, and if they come out loaded up at a position of prior need then of course it becomes less of a priority. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Who?

TE does not replace a WR, it supplements WR.

I'm definitely not the expert on this type of question.  I'll leave it to JD.  I do hope we don't trade for Ridley though.  He sounds risky to me that he missed a season to focus on his mental health.

Don't get me wrong, btw.  I'm sure he did the right thing and I hope he's well.  His mental health is far more important than football.

I just don't want JD to trade a high draft pick for a guy that we very likely won't be able to count on (e.g. he might step away again or possibly just retire).

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be taking offense with our 1st 2 picks.  This mock is terrible.

I do like that fact that Trey McBride is not a 1st round pick though.

If a dominant pass rusher is there that’s where JD believes the highest value should be. In the trenches. 

If people feel like this is really just a 3 or 4 player Draft towards the top and then you have a mixed bag of guys who may or not be worthy of being taken in the 4-10 range then do you think this might work in the Jets favor from a trade down standpoint when it comes to QB needy teams?

If either (or both) QBs Pickett and Corral have a great Combine / Pro Day then several teams looking for a QB might perhaps see that #4 area as the spot to grab one of them.

I feel like this is a unique year in that QB transition/turnover is starting to ramp up for quite a few teams that might either be looking to pivot off their underwhelming guy (Giants, Panthers, Broncos, etc.) or are seeing successful QBs with careers drawing to a close (Big Ben in Pitt, Ryan in Atlanta, etc.).  Just seems like the supply/demand equation could be setting up for some teams reaching a bit in a Draft with very few quality QB prospects.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Who?

TE does not replace a WR, it supplements WR.

It does neither. The TE is a unique position that has more versatility than a WR. A proper TE has the physical attributes to function as blocking lineman, Put a Slot WR on a blitzing linebacker and watch who wins that match. And a TE can release at the snap of the ball to move down field which a Lineman can't do when executing a screen pass until the ball is thrown. WRs aren't built for that job this is why a Great TE brings a dimension to the game that a WR doesn't. The Jets have nothing at TE right now but the do have something at WR, namely Elijah Moore. Moore is a solid 1B WR and the Jets could easily get another 1B WR in the Middle Rounds of the Draft. The question is do the the Jets burn an early Draft Pick to take a potential 1A Receiver when they already have a 1B WR and there is a glaring need at TE ?

• Sympathy 1

Just now, WestCoastMole said:

It does neither. The TE is a unique position that has more versatility than a WR. A proper TE has the physical attributes to function as blocking lineman, Put a Slot WR on a blitzing linebacker and watch who wins that match. And a TE can release at the snap of the ball to move down field which a Lineman can't do when executing a screen pass until the ball is thrown. WRs aren't built for that job this is why a Great TE brings a dimension to the game that a WR doesn't. The Jets have nothing at TE right now but the do have something at WR, namely Elijah Moore. Moore is a solid 1B WR and the Jets could easily get another 1B WR in the Middle Rounds of the Draft. The question is do the the Jets burn an early Draft Pick to take a potential 1A Receiver when they already have a 1B WR and there is a glaring need at TE ?

We do not have a 1B.  Davis is a 2 at best,  Moore is best as a slot, where he will excel.  We do not have a 1, A, B or D, at this point.

I'm not arguing that TE isn't a need.  It's not a need over a #1 WR. 

By all means, if you want to draft a WR at #4 and a TE at #10, sign me up.

1 minute ago, tfine said:

Great! D line and corner in the first round…where have I seen this before? Oh yea Idziks first year…the team is allergic to offensive playmakers

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

What's amazing is that we took defense in the 1st round for like a decade.  As soon as we stopped, though, our defense was historically awful.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

What's amazing is that we took defense in the 1st round for like a decade.  As soon as we stopped, though, our defense was historically awful.  

We traded away a couple of very good first round picks, D linemen, one had too much personality  to get a second contract (Sheldon Rich. 13th pick) and the other was just a very good football player not a  great one (Leonard Williams 6th pick). Plus we traded away our extrovert safety (6th pick) in the secondary, because he was  a giant pain in the butt.

They were traded away for good reasons, but if you keep exchanging your better defensive players for draft picks eventually your defense will suck unless you keep hitting home runs in the draft.

Life after Revis and Cromartie excelling at cornerback as been hard to replace too.

• Upvote 1

It's wayyy too early in the process to insinuate whether DJ knows something or if he's trying to blow smoke. It's neither. Last year he had us taking Travis Etienne/Ronnie Perkins/Azeez Ojulari/Travis Etienne with that 23rd pick. Had we not traded up, we were taking Teven Jenkins or Elijah Moore depending who you speak to. 

The most accurate guys in terms of pegging the top 15 players in the draft are Dane Brugler and Daniel Jeremiah, but they're not necessarily accurate mock drafters. Rather, they have a lot of intel and a good pulse where the consensus lies. For example, both have Travon Walker high... and that's because they know teams really love him, and many scouts from different teams are saying the same. 

In regards to his mock, I do think this is how the top 2 will go. What happens at #3 is anyone's guess right now. Personally, I anticipate the Jets taking Ickey at #4 unless Hutchinson is there. So yes, I think they would pass on Thibs. After that, I think they will try to trade down from #10 or just stay there and take the best pass rusher. CB and WR gets solved prior to the draft or becomes a 2nd round priority. 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

We do not have a 1B.  Davis is a 2 at best, 

The Jets are paying him like a 1A.

Moore is best as a slot, where he will excel.

So he can split reps with Berrios ?

I'm not arguing that TE isn't a need.  It's not a need over a #1 WR.

The Jets Defense was ranked 32 in 2021. Ya don't get any worse than that. A good argument can be made that Defense should make up the bulk of the Jets picks should be spent on Defense.

Corey Davis is going into the second year of his contract so he's not going anywhere.

Crowder will likely be shipped out. That gives the team 1 hole. Is that filled with a Rookie or a Free Agent ?

None of the WRs in this year's draft excite me. And none are certainly worth burning a Top 10 pick on. I wouldn't spend more than a second round pick on WR and not until after the Jets have a play making TE like Dalton Shultz or Trey McBride though I would actually prefer Shultz.

A sure handed TE is the best friend a young developing QB can have. A 2 TE formation affords the OC the flexibility he needs to convert on 3rd and 5 everytime.

It's kinda like these guys that are tub thumping for Lindermeyer. This team has 3 first round draft picks on the O Line already with the other positions filled by 2 tried and true seasoned veterans. Talk about about gold plating these guys won't rest until every member of the O-Line is a first round draft pick !

1 minute ago, WestCoastMole said:

The Jets are paying him like a 1A.

So he can split reps with Berrios ?

The Jets Defense was ranked 32 in 2021. Ya don't get any worse than that. A good argument can be made that Defense should make up the bulk of the Jets picks should be spent on Defense.

Corey Davis is going into the second year of his contract so he's not going anywhere.

Crowder will likely be shipped out. That gives the team 1 hole. Is that filled with a Rookie or a Free Agent ?

None of the WRs in this year's draft excite me. And none are certainly worth burning a Top 10 pick on. I wouldn't spend more than a second round pick on WR and not until after the Jets have a play making TE like Dalton Shultz or Trey McBride though I would actually prefer Shultz.

A sure handed TE is the best friend a young developing QB can have. A 2 TE formation affords the OC the flexibility he needs to convert on 3rd and 5 everytime.

It's kinda like these guys that are tub thumping for Lindermeyer. This team has 3 first round draft picks on the O Line already with the other positions filled by 2 tried and true seasoned veterans. Talk about about gold plating these guys won't rest until every member of the O-Line is a first round draft pick !

I don't disagree with any of the information here, but I disagree with the vision.

The chief priority for this franchise is developing Wilson into a FQB, and the best way to do that, in my estimation, is continuing to improve the offense - especially via adding a high-end #1 receiver.

Whether that's available is the issue. 

But I'd far prefer to go into next year with the same defense and a much improved offense than the opposite. We should be doing anything and everything to ensure that the quarterback establishes himself as top-half-of-the-league at his position and punting on defense until that happens. 

Practically speaking, I'd say continue to develop the offensive line, receiving corps, TE room and stable of runningbacks until such a time that the quarterback has proven himself to be elite. How we allocate those resources amongst those positional groups, with the exclusion of runningback, doesn't much concern me.

So I'd be calling about those veteran receivers seemingly available in the trade market, pursuing the high-end receivers available in FA, and emphasizing the scouting of all the receiving prospects. 

And I'm not saying 'spend free agency only on offense, or only spend those top four picks on offense exclusively', what I'm arguing for is a clear emphasis on offense.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be taking offense with our 1st 2 picks.  This mock is terrible.

I do like that fact that Trey McBride is not a 1st round pick though.

Jets gave up so many points last year. Offense in free agency, defense is getting fixed in the draft.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

While I hate the thought of trading up, yeah I would definitely consider a trade up for Dean or Linderbaum. 

We have so many picks I actually wouldn't mind it:

35 + 38 = Pick 16

35 + 69 = Pick 21

38 + 69 = Pick 23

We have some options for sure but if someone is falling I'd consider making the move.

• Sympathy 1

14 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

We have so many picks I actually wouldn't mind it:

35 + 38 = Pick 16

35 + 69 = Pick 21

38 + 69 = Pick 23

We have some options for sure but if someone is falling I'd consider making the move.

I want to hold onto 35 in case McBride is there so 38 and a 4th does it?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Insightful video of him. Impressive mature young man. Double edged sword though.  He’s got a broader vision and perspective which makes me wonder if he will eat and breathe football like guys like Ekwonu. In football you may prefer the soldier with tunnel vision.  He’s talking about corporate relationships and branding. Is he a dawg that’s going to be obsessed with greatness?

And Jeremiah’s got a good track record mocking the top 5.  This mock matters more than any others at this point in the process.

8 minutes ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Walker at 10 seems very real to me.

Yes and if douglas feels that OT is just too much where the value is at 4, and then he goes edge at 10 it’s hard to complain.  As much as I love talking about all the round 1 wr candidates i think wr will be addressed in FA and in round 2.