What’s the trade value of the 3 premium WRs being shopped?

There is tons of smoke about these 3 guys being up for a trade.   What would it take to get them?

I’ll add Cooper’s salary  info here, since it affects his trade value big time.  He can be cut for a 6 million dead cap hit.   If he’s not cut, he’s due 20 million per year for 3 years - that is is expensive for a player who is probably in the mid 20s of value.  (He’s basically tied for the 3rd highest yearly value right now) your 35BBB383-1659-47B7-AD1B-CBDACD6914DC.thumb.jpeg.bfefca7cafca5a7ecb27edab31191f10.jpeg

So Amari Cooper has an overpriced contract.  That should make him less expensive on the trade market.  

DK Metcalf is exceptionally good at beating man coverage.  He’s probably the most valuable to the Jets but his trade price tag is the highest.  

Calvin Ridley has tremendous questions surrounding him and the NY Media probably makes this the destination least likely to succeed for him.  His trade value? 

30887833-EFA5-43D3-972C-16A4BD5D20F1.jpeg

543FCE5A-A00B-48A0-AAB4-9E779D297789.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Do  people really trust Amari Cooper to come through in a cold weather game in January enough to justify paying him and giving up a pick?

I just dont see what Amari has proved in big games to justify this level of price tag.  Yes hes a good WR capable of games with huge numbers in the regular season I just think he disappears too much to justify a big price tag.

• Upvote 2

Nope, nope and nope

Cooper is very inconsistent.

Ridley I'm afraid is too much of a chance to take, fair or not once you step away once it is easier the 2nd time.

Metcalfe, massive talent, just what the jets could use, except....he is on his way to Antonio Brownville.

Just why would Seattle be shopping him, why?  big fast strong, big play guy.  No team is going to trade a guy like him unless they have a good reason.

No one wants anything to do with obj and yet are lining up for these guys?

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Cooper = 5th Round pick, he'll be cut or restructure. No one is taking on that deal

DK = 1st + some. I'd give up #10 for him straight up since you'd have to pay him +$25m per year. Seattle would never do that trade though since they gave up 2 firsts and a 3rd for a Safety.

Ridley = 2nd Round pick or a swap in a trade down scenario. 

Michael Thomas is another name to watch. Big time salary cap issues in NO and Thomas wants out. I think he's worth around a 2nd or 3rd as well. His contract is the best too 3 years at like 16m per or so

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Do  people really trust Amari Cooper to come through in a cold weather game in January enough to justify paying him and giving up a pick?

I just dont see what Amari has proved in big games to justify this level of price tag.  Yes hes a good WR capable of games with huge numbers in the regular season I just think he disappears too much to justify a big price tag.

The $$ amount is a lot but the pick you'd give up is likely a late round pick. No one is taking on that contract. If Douglas thinks Cooper is the guy then I have no problem allocating that cap to him. 3 years with Zach til he needs a deal and you can cut him at any point and save his entire contracts value.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, bla bla bla said:

Cooper = 5th Round pick, he'll be cut or restructure. No one is taking on that deal

DK = 1st + some. I'd give up #10 for him straight up since you'd have to pay him +$25m per year. Seattle would never do that trade though since they gave up 2 firsts and a 3rd for a Safety.

Ridley = 2nd Round pick or a swap in a trade down scenario.

Of those I'd love to see Ridley acquired in a trade down.  Ridley + Atlanta's pick (#8) for the #4.  Not sure if there would need to be something else in there like the Jets including a 5th round pick or something but this is generally the approach I'd like to take.

Ridley, the #8 and the #10 is a nice 1st round.

Michael Thomas is another name to watch. Big time salary cap issues in NO and Thomas wants out. I think he's worth around a 2nd or 3rd as well. His contract is the best too 3 years at like 16m per or so

I'm concerned about Thomas' injury the more I read about it and his setbacks in rehab.  For a little while I thought that maybe Thomas was avoiding coming back in a lost season for the Saints but that team was competitive to the end and finished 9-8.   They could have used him if he was healthy.  Love the talent, love the player, concerned about the injury.

There's someone else I mentioned in another thread that hasn't been mentioned at all as being available but that the Jets should inquire about, Robert Woods from the Rams.  He recently signed a big new deal but he got hurt this year.  I don't think the Rams are shopping him... but maybe they should be.  This is a Rams team lacking draft pick capital because of big trades for guys like Jalen Ramsey.  But the other key is that they've shown they can win without Woods.  Don't get me wrong, he's excellent... but Kupp is the man on the team, Van Jefferson is blossoming into a WR2 type and OBJ looks rejuvenated and is helping that team right now.  If I'm JD I make the call... it couldn't hurt.  The Jets take Woods' contract and send back a much-needed Draft pick, maybe the #35.  Does that make any sense or am I missing something?

• Sympathy 2

I’d do my homework but I honestly think Calvin Ridley is the best option of the 3. 

DK is going to go DARK- it’s inevitable

Amari is going to be overpriced

Ridley is right where Diggs was before he was traded to the Bills.  I don’t know his head status, but if it checks out enough I’d love to have him here, support him, and make an airtight prenup contract with payment for availability loaded with incentives.

• Upvote 2

The upcoming Amari Cooper divorce has been pretty clear for some time. Both parties need part ways. There were grumbling from both sides earlier this year. Glad Jerry Jones is bringing down his trade value.

$20m is a bit rich for Cooper even if you factor out the down year. But it’s not egregious. He is still a go to WR and would be paid in the Mike Williams / Allen Robinson range if he were a FA. Say 16-17m per year. Cooper just happens to be on a team with talented skilled players all over the field and CeeDee Lamb became Dak’s main guy. On the Jets, I have no doubt Cooper will return to being a 1,000+ yard WR.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Of those I'd love to see Ridley acquired in a trade down.  Ridley + Atlanta's pick (#8) for the #4.  Not sure if there would need to be something else in there like the Jets including a 5th round pick or something but this is generally the approach I'd like to take.

Ridley, the #8 and the #10 is a nice 1st round.

I'm concerned about Thomas' injury the more I read about it and his setbacks in rehab.  For a little while I thought that maybe Thomas was avoiding coming back in a lost season for the Saints but that team was competitive to the end and finished 9-8.   They could have used him if he was healthy.  Love the talent, love the player, concerned about the injury.

There's someone else I mentioned in another thread that hasn't been mentioned at all as being available but that the Jets should inquire about, Robert Woods from the Rams.  He recently signed a big new deal but he got hurt this year.  I don't think the Rams are shopping him... but maybe they should be.  This is a Rams team lacking draft pick capital because of big trades for guys like Jalen Ramsey.  But the other key is that they've shown they can win without Woods.  Don't get me wrong, he's excellent... but Kupp is the man on the team, Van Jefferson is blossoming into a WR2 type and OBJ looks rejuvenated and is helping that team right now.  If I'm JD I make the call... it couldn't hurt.  The Jets take Woods' contract and send back a much-needed Draft pick, maybe the #35.  Does that make any sense or am I missing something?

Hmm interesting, I hadn't really considered Robert Woods but he'd be a scheme fit for sure. I don't think I'd give up a 2nd for him but worth a look:

30 years old in April, 4 years left on deal:

2022: $13.5m

2023: $13.7m

2024: $15.7m

2025: $17.3m

You'd be able to cut him at any point, only guaranteed money left is for 2022.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anyone who thinks Seattle is making another trade with Joe Douglas isn't paying attention lol.

Agreed.  Plus the likelihood of us trading one of our firsts for a WR is very slim.  It’s more likely we trade back and maybe get a player in a deal instead of a future pick but we aren’t trading 4 or 10 straight up for a player.  Possibly one of our second rounders but not one of our top 10 picks 

Eh...love Metcalf but he would cost a ton. Cooper disappears in the spotlight and Ridley is a massive question mark. If the latter could get his head on straight, I think he's your best bet. 

That said, I'd much rather keep the picks, re-sign Berrios, sign Mike Williams and keep filling out the position in the draft. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Why is Metcalf available? 

I'd love to know this as well. The Seahawks seem like they are in prime position to pay him ($70m in cap).

Only way it makes sense to trade DK is if Russell wants out. Would allow the Seahawks to bring in a ton of trade assets to restart. If he is traded, no way does he come to the Jets. They will want at least 2 firsts and a third.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

The $$ amount is a lot but the pick you'd give up is likely a late round pick. No one is taking on that contract. If Douglas thinks Cooper is the guy then I have no problem allocating that cap to him. 3 years with Zach til he needs a deal and you can cut him at any point and save his entire contracts value.

This is where I am. The money is too much but the length and structure aren't bad and it theoretically lets you hang on to draft capital since the bad contract should deflate the cost to acquire him.

If he's not inconsistent and not overpaid then the draft capital is a ton. As he is, it's a cost controlled low risk upgrade. Jets could use immediate impact at WR for Wilson - that's trade or FA and FA is a minefield. In the case of looking to acquire a veteran WR I'll trade cap dollars for draft capital.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, derp said:

This is where I am. The money is too much but the length and structure aren't bad and it theoretically lets you hang on to draft capital since the bad contract should deflate the cost to acquire him.

If he's not inconsistent and not overpaid then the draft capital is a ton. As he is, it's a cost controlled low risk upgrade. Jets could use immediate impact at WR for Wilson - that's trade or FA and FA is a minefield. In the case of looking to acquire a veteran WR I'll trade cap dollars for draft capital.

Yea trade is definitely the move I prefer. We don't need more youth, we need proven talent more than anything. Ridley, Thomas, and Cooper are the 3 I'd be seriously considering because of the value.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

I'd love to know this as well. The Seahawks seem like they are in prime position to pay him ($70m in cap).

Only way it makes sense to trade DK is if Russell wants out. Would allow the Seahawks to bring in a ton of trade assets to restart. If he is traded, no way does he come to the Jets. They will want at least 2 firsts and a third.

Agreed. 

The thing is, I would have only thought Carroll would return if they were keeping Wilson. Very curious to see what happens with that team this offseason. Lot's of question marks. 

• Upvote 2

While they have enough picks that they can part with one for a veteran player, I'd be surprised if they specifically traded for a WR.

They have two younger/young starting WRs under contract. Corey Davis just turned 27 this month and Elijah Moore will be 22 next season. They could use a 3rd starter, of course, but they're not so desperate that they can't wait until the draft. Until then, they'll look to re-sign Berrios or sign someone else in that $4-6MM range again. Then with that corps in their back pocket, head into the draft looking for a WR in the top 40 who'll be pretty cheap for the next 5 years.

Things panning out just-so for this or that wow veteran WR may change things, but absent that I think that's the plan. The veteran receiver they're going to push for harder (before the draft) will probably be at TE not WR. 

Ridley scares the T Total sh*t out of me. Dude left the team for the year…. No way to know he wouldn’t do it again

PASS

Cooper or DK sure, Deleon trade cost. DK younger higher ceiling and I think fits  the role we do t have right now. Cooper is more the Elijah Moore type outside receiver. I’m not saying no to Cooper but if it was between the 2 I’d prefer DK and deal with any personality issues and let Moore help babysit him. 

id be happy with either. Still need to draft another guy and find a way to trade Davis If you get DK or Coop. Unless you want $50mil tied up in WRs in a year