Do the Titans go after Mike White in the off-season?

NYJets43

13 hours ago, slats said:

Mike White will be available to whoever wants him for somewhere around the league minimum. The Jets won’t even tender him at the right of first refusal rate, because that would be silly. 

Hmmm, curious to understand more of your rationale here.  I thought outside of his durability and the politics playing first round pick Wilson, White showed really well against the Bengals and first couple drives against the Colts before his 4 interception game soured views on him.  Maybe the answer is somewhere in between.

Lots of QB needy teams at least looking for a shot in the dark in the middle rounds of the draft for a quality backup or someone who could develop further.  White has flashes of quality film against real NFL competition.

My feeling is that Joe D sees an asset who likely won’t re-up with the Jets next offseason due to his high self confidence and their investment in Wilson.  He’ll signal the Jets want something in return via a 2nd round tender — a $3 million investment the Jets can afford and leverage.

If teams don’t bite before the draft, he’ll make a bet that White shows well in preseason at which point he’ll look to get a  maximum return likely in the 3rd round.  At the very least, they’ll at least tender the original round (5), no?

1 minute ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hmmm, curious to understand more of your rationale here.  I thought outside of his durability and the politics playing first round pick Wilson, White showed really well against the Bengals and first couple drives against the Colts before his 4 interception game soured views on him.  Maybe the answer is somewhere in between.

Lots of QB needy teams at least looking for a shot in the dark in the middle rounds of the draft for a quality backup or someone who could develop further.  White has flashes of quality film against real NFL competition.

My feeling is that Joe D sees an asset who likely won’t re-up with the Jets next offseason due to his high self confidence and their investment in Wilson.  He’ll signal the Jets want something in return via a 2nd or third round tender — a couple million investment the Jets can afford and leverage.

If teams don’t bite before the draft, he’ll make a bet that White shows well in preseason at which point he’ll look to get a  maximum return likely in the 3rd round.

That four interception game displayed the weaknesses of the weak armed QB. His absolute ceiling is game managing backup. Having been knocked out of two of the three games he started last year is also problematic. 

There is no third round tender. The second round tender will be close to $4M this year, while the right of first refusal will be around $2.5M. The Jets aren’t going to offer even the bottom tender, largely because no one around the league has any plans of paying Mike White close to $2.5M next year. If he and the Jets decide he’s a good fit here, he’ll sign for something close to the league minimum. If not, he’ll sign for something close to the league minimum somewhere else. 

No one’s trading a third round pick for him, either, unless @T0mShane or @Smashmouth become GMs in the next couple of days. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, slats said:

That four interception game displayed the weaknesses of the weak armed QB. His absolute ceiling is game managing backup. Having been knocked out of two of the three games he started last year is also problematic. 

There is no third round tender. The second round tender will be close to $4M this year, while the right of first refusal will be around $2.5M. The Jets aren’t going to offer even the bottom tender, largely because no one around the league has any plans of paying Mike White close to $2.5M next year. If he and the Jets decide he’s a good fit here, he’ll sign for something close to the league minimum. If not, he’ll sign for something close to the league minimum somewhere else. 

No one’s trading a third round pick for him, either, unless @T0mShane or @Smashmouth become GMs in the next couple of days. 

Ok, you are clearly not a fan and might be right.  The only thing I would bet you on is the fact he gets at least an original round (5th) tender at $2.5M. 

By the way, I’m not necessarily questioning your talent evaluation skills.  I’m questioning those of some GMs who JD fleeced for 2 firsts; a 2, 4, and 6; and an upgrade to a 4th for the likes of Adams, Darnold and Herndon.  And nothing for the likes of LDT.

I’ll call you Mr. Slats for a month and you can call me Mr. Otherwisehappyinlife depending on who wins the bet.. ;)

Seriously, WTF does Minshew have to do to get a starting job? He’s had 22 starts, completed 63% of his passes and has 41 TDs against 12 interceptions.  IMO he is currently a better option at QB for 2022 for many teams …. Pittsburgh, Denver, NYG, WFT, Detroit. And, if I’m Tennesse, I’d try to trade for him and let Tannehill and Minshew battle for the starting job. I would expect Minshew to win.

1 hour ago, slats said:

They can’t trust that to Mike White. They learned that last year. 

QB's a Fan Likes:  3 years minimum to evaluate them, how can we possibly know before that!

QB's a Fan Doesn't Like:  1 Game, Seen Enough, Cut Him Now!

If only we'd taken that second tack with Darnold, Geno, Hackenberg, etc. too.

• Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

QB's a Fan Likes:  3 years minimum to evaluate them, how can we possibly know before that!

Mike White was drafted in the fifth round of the 2018 draft. He’s had plenty of time to prove himself. 

18 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Seriously, WTF does Minshew have to do to get a starting job? He’s had 22 starts, completed 63% of his passes and has 41 TDs against 12 interceptions.  IMO he is currently a better option at QB for 2022 for many teams …. Pittsburgh, Denver, NYG, WFT, Detroit. And, if I’m Tennesse, I’d try to trade for him and let Tannehill and Minshew battle for the starting job. I would expect Minshew to win.

People always ignore his 18 fumbles 

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

The jets should absolutely hang onto mike white and he earned the right to the backup here and should have never been playing behind Flacco. 

on the other hand, it’s not like any of the QBs we get rid of ever go onto to do anything 

image.gif.1c2a8f5912e633b95e1838399dac929f.gif

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, slimjasi said:

We didn’t get rid of Favre - he “retired” so that he could go to Minny

Try again :) 

Yeah he kinda retired like a dozen times before that. Jets released him because everybody knew his retirement meant nothing. Anyways, Jets have stunk at QB and still do until proven otherwise. 

52 minutes ago, Jet2020 said:

Yeah he kinda retired like a dozen times before that. Jets released him because everybody knew his retirement meant nothing. Anyways, Jets have stunk at QB and still do until proven otherwise. 

Not sure what your point is. Rex’s first choice when he got here was to play with Favre - he had zero interest. Hence, bringing up Favre wasn’t relevant. 

13 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Aaron Rodgers went 20-29 for 225 yards in those conditions.

And he lost.

I think the Packers had like 70 yards in the second half.

Aaron Jones had 9 catches for 129 yards so I guess Jets fans would classify Rodgers as dink and dunk.  right ? 

When it counted Jimmy G won the game. 

• Post of the Week 1

13 hours ago, slats said:

there's no or, or and's its called a team . The Shane Smash combo GM

And just so ya know Mike White is not a weak armed QB where did you get that from ? He has a good arm, it's not elite but he certainly can make every throw.  

FWIW Mike White will sign here or somewhere else on a one year deal and it certainly will not be league minimum. Would be dumb for him to take a multi year deal 2-3 years for short money and I'm pretty sure he won't.

12 hours ago, slats said:

Mike White was drafted in the fifth round of the 2018 draft. He’s had plenty of time to prove himself. 

Wrong he was drafted by a team that had Prescott as the QB an established guy and no way was he going to get a chance. Dallas let him go so he could catch on elsewhere because he was not getting a shot in Dallas. Then he came to the Jets with Darnold 3rd over all and Zach second over all. Yet somehow you thought he was going to get a shot. 

Then he gets in the game for the Jets Lights it up in his first start was playing well in start 2 before a freak injury and got beat by the Bills who just about destroy 90 % of the QB's they face but you know The guy with 3 starts was not allowed to have a bad outing vs a great defense because the Franchise Savior was taken with the 2nd pick. 

If the Jets are smart they let White and Zach compete for the starting Job not just to prove White can do it but to light a fire under Zach's ass where Zach has proven to rise up in the past when under pressure for his job a job he almost lost in college.

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

And just so ya know Mike White is not a weak armed QB where did you get that from ? He has a good arm, it's not elite but he certainly can make every throw.  

Every throw within 15 yards of where he’s standing, provided it doesn’t need too much zip on it, sure. Otherwise, no. It’s not an NFL caliber arm. 

8 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

If the Jets are smart they let White and Zach compete for the starting Job not just to prove White can do it but to light a fire under Zach's ass where Zach has proven to rise up in the past when under pressure for his job a job he almost lost in college.

No team in the league is “smart” enough to have Mike White compete for their starting job, and Zach Wilson will not be in a competition for the starting job with anyone. I’d like to see them bring in better backups than White and Flacco, though, in an effort to light that fire you’re talking about. A competition with White would barely light the pilot. Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, someone like that. 

On 1/22/2022 at 8:06 PM, NYJets43 said:

If they want a guy who can go toe to toe with Joe Burrow they should make the call. I’d be interested for their first round pick. 

Man, this guy is some folk hero now. I dont see it

1 hour ago, slats said:

Every throw within 15 yards of where he’s standing, provided it doesn’t need too much zip on it, sure. Otherwise, no. It’s not an NFL caliber arm. 

No team in the league is “smart” enough to have Mike White compete for their starting job, and Zach Wilson will not be in a competition for the starting job with anyone. I’d like to see them bring in better backups than White and Flacco, though, in an effort to light that fire you’re talking about. A competition with White would barely light the pilot. Mariota, Winston, Trubisky, someone like that. 

I get it bring in the previous failures who had the same chance as Zach based on draft pick status . 

We we will need to agree to disagree on Mike Whites arm, while not elite, it is certainly an NFL caliber arm

23 hours ago, BurntDice said:

People always ignore his 18 fumbles 

He had 12 fumbles with 11 lost fumbles in his first 14 games played and then 6 fumbles with 4 lost fumbles in his next 13 games played. So, I would say that like many rookie/young QBs, by playing he learned better how to protect the ball while standing in the pocket.

54 minutes ago, Sonny Werblin said:

He had 12 fumbles with 11 lost fumbles in his first 14 games played and then 6 fumbles with 4 lost fumbles in his next 13 games played. So, I would say that like many rookie/young QBs, by playing he learned better how to protect the ball while standing in the pocket.

He also played much less these past 2 years which helped reduce his fumbles. A total of 10 games started these past two years compared to 12 in his rookie year. His percentage of fumbles/game hasn’t gone down by much. 

On 1/23/2022 at 10:59 AM, slats said:

That four interception game displayed the weaknesses of the weak armed QB. His absolute ceiling is game managing backup.

Just a question or two: 

What did Zach Wilson's four interception game display for you?

What is Zach Wilson's absolute ceiling, as you see it?

Having been knocked out of two of the three games he started last year is also problematic.  days. 

Agreed, he's like an egg back there.

Backups who want to earn starting jobs must be durable first and foremost.

7 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

He also played much less these past 2 years which helped reduce his fumbles. A total of 10 games started these past two years compared to 12 in his rookie year. His percentage of fumbles/game hasn’t gone down by much. 

Wrong. In his his first 14 games he played 906 snaps resulting in s a fumble rate of once every 75.5 snaps. In his last 13 games he played 724 snaps resulting in a fumble rate of once every 120.6 snaps.

3 hours ago, slats said:

I still don't understand the affiliation some dudes here have for White.

Well, I understand it but they just won't admit it.  

On 1/23/2022 at 11:13 AM, Warfish said:

He's been in the league 4 years.  Not one game.

He is a practice squad level player.  

You make it seem like coaches didn't see him practice every day for 4 years.  They know his skill-set.   Not only is he not a starter he's not even back-up quality...

1 hour ago, Sonny Werblin said:

Wrong. In his his first 14 games he played 906 snaps resulting in s a fumble rate of once every 75.5 snaps. In his last 13 games he played 724 snaps resulting in a fumble rate of once every 120.6 snaps.

That’s still not good man…it’s not wrong. The biggest thing is that you and many others who bring up his turnover rate don’t even mention his fumbles, which is a pretty big issue for him. 

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I get it bring in the previous failures who had the same chance as Zach based on draft pick status . 

We we will need to agree to disagree on Mike Whites arm, while not elite, it is certainly an NFL caliber arm

Mike White completes a bunch of short and intermediate passes:

Jets fans: “Hmmm dink and dunk passing is actually bad, plus he’s fragile”

Zach Wilson throws tiny passes for 150 yards per game after sitting out five weeks with an ouchy knee:

Jets fans: Now this is what I call progress. Give me three more years of this

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Mike White completes a bunch of short and intermediate passes:

Jets fans: “Hmmm dink and dunk passing is actually bad, plus he’s fragile”

Zach Wilson throws tiny passes for 150 yards per game after sitting out five weeks with an ouchy knee:

Jets fans: Now this is what I call progress. Give me three more years of this

Zach doesn’t throw picks while dinking and dunking with all backups at wr. White throws multiple picks a game with dinking and dunking with all starters as wrs. 

Take the 2023 day-3 comp pick. We'll need more offsets so JD doesn't overthink signing a qualifying UFA vs. someone else.

He's got so many who should get qualifying offers that we should see 4 comp picks in 2023 (though I don't think any will qualify for a 3rd rounder). But if he can trade down to yield at least one high pick next season, he'll have a 3rd draft in a row with at least 1.5 full drafts' worth of picks in it. I wouldn't let Mike White get in the way.

I appreciate that he gets the ball out in a hurry, but that 4-pick game (which could/should have been 2-3 more before he got pulled) was brutal. If they let him go it's because they don't think he can overcome his weaknesses. Yeah they want to win with Wilson, but it's because they think his ceiling is the highest, not that they'd rather fail with Wilson than win with White. Fun as hell for his game & a quarter, but - unlike the fans - they also see him when he's not in games.

Makes me think of the arguments that Hackenberg "deserved" a chance, or Tebow before him (or the hand-wringing over not starting Mims this year, or dumping Herndon for "just" a 4th round pick). They have eyes, too.