What's cooking?

Peace Frog

We have a booze thread, a movies thread, a music thread, a TV thread, why not food?

So what's cooking.

Making an 8 quart dutch over of lentil soup today to freeze and eat over the next few weeks.  Heavy on the cumin and kielbasa.

Tonite for dinner, making sole franchese over a bed of baby spinach and thin spaghetti--very lemony and buttery.

Trying  to figure out the Super Bowl menu--the Burning Anus Wings are a must but need to fill out the menu. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sounds sexy. 

I kid, love port tenderloins. I brine then grill with a Dijon mustard and Mollasses glaze. 

How do you prepare? 

One of my usual rubs: Kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, ground cloves, dried oregano, and brown sugar.  Then a few shakes of liquid smoke and bake in a hot oven.   

1 minute ago, munchmemory said:

One of my usual rubs: Kosher salt, pepper, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground coriander, ground cloves, dried oregano, and brown sugar.  Then a few shakes of liquid smoke and bake in a hot oven.   

Nice. 

I have kids. 

Chicken nuggets and leftover pizza last night.

Today, maybe a chance to actually cook. I like to make pulled chicken in the instapot, then make old fashioned chicken and noodles from it in winter days like this. Might do that. I usually just get in the kitchen and make stuff up and it’s great.

10 hours ago, Beerfish said:

I am making some kind of modified shepherds pies tomorrow.  I made the filling of the pie today in my slow cooker, will do the crusts and pie tomorrow.

Lamb? It’s the best. I make a mean one.

I think beef is called Cottage pie. 

Capellini alla Nanni. Nanni’s is a since closed classic Italian joint on the east side in the 40s. Prosciutto onions raw sweet butter EVOO white wine porcini and shiitake mushrooms tomatoes petite peas heavy cream parm Reggiano. Chef gave us the recipe before they closed. 

Was not sure where to post this but it is utterly horrifying.  The meals being served to the Olympic athletes.

FLBsVCoXMAUmZlU.jpg

So I did a few more image searches about this and other things being served look totally and utterly  revolting.  Like beyond revolting.

24-hour brined, charred chicken thighs with a smoked paprika, garlic, onion rub.

Tonight I ate it with salad. Tomorrow I’ll re-grill them in the cast iron and have them as either Mexican or something more like swarma. Super versatile and incredibly good.

38 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

24-hour brined, charred chicken thighs with a smoked paprika, garlic, onion rub.

Tonight I ate it with salad. Tomorrow I’ll re-grill them in the cast iron and have them as either Mexican or something more like swarma. Super versatile and incredibly good.

What’s the brine? 

I brine my thanksgiving turkey and pork. That’s about it. 

German style smothered pork chops tonight.

I heat up a little olive oil in a frying pan, and cook three large bone in chops about 3-4 minutes on each side and remove them from the pan.
I then put in a bag of sauerkraut, some caraway seeds and 5-6 crumbled strips of bacon. I let it cook on low heat until the kraut gets a light brownish color and slight crisp to it. Then I add a diced apple, and some brown sugar, and mix it up.

I put the chops in a Pyrex lasagna pan, and smother them with the kraut. I cover the pan with aluminum foil and let them cook at 375* for one hour.

The pork is always fall off the bone tender, and the kraut is delicious. I serve it with sides of buttered spaetzle and cinnamon applesauce. Perfect meal for a cold damp evening like we had down here tonight.

57 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

What’s the brine? 

I brine my thanksgiving turkey and pork. That’s about it. 

Sea salt, brown sugar, herbs. I just made it up. I’ve been doing brine for turkey and pork for a long time - just kinda riffed on it.

I like maple brine the best.

16 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Menu for Super Sunday is set.  At least my contribution.  

Making beef empanadas and Burning Anus Wings.  

I bought a piece of Boston butt yesterday.  Will make pulled pork, cornbread, coleslaw, BBQ sauce, etc.   Sam Adams, sparkling wine and maybe Jet Juice (lemonade, vodka & Midori) as the drinks of choice.

Also, just replaced my decades-old kitchen torch.  So might make some Crème brûlée to finally try it out. 

5 minutes ago, munchmemory said:

Jet Juice (lemonade, vodka & Midori) as the drinks of choice.

Gawd, I haven't had Midori in ages.  It's actualy quite delicious.  

Cornbread in the cast iron?  Just started doing the 2 years ago, comes out great.  

I

On 2/7/2022 at 10:49 PM, Integrity28 said:

Sea salt, brown sugar, herbs. I just made it up. I’ve been doing brine for turkey and pork for a long time - just kinda riffed on it.

I like maple brine the best.

Nice.  I steep my herbs in a pot with onions garlic and pepper corns and instead of water I go half water and half apple juice.

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Gawd, I haven't had Midori in ages.  It's actualy quite delicious.  

Cornbread in the cast iron?  Just started doing the 2 years ago, comes out great.  

No.  I use a Pyrex pan. Perfect every time and the glass allows me to monitor the bottom for doneness. 

A bit of Midori in sparkling wine is great, too.  Jet color plus a nice bit of melon essence.

On 2/7/2022 at 10:38 PM, Green Ghost said:

German style smothered pork chops tonight.

I heat up a little olive oil in a frying pan, and cook three large bone in chops about 3-4 minutes on each side and remove them from the pan.
I then put in a bag of sauerkraut, some caraway seeds and 5-6 crumbled strips of bacon. I let it cook on low heat until the kraut gets a light brownish color and slight crisp to it. Then I add a diced apple, and some brown sugar, and mix it up.

I put the chops in a Pyrex lasagna pan, and smother them with the kraut. I cover the pan with aluminum foil and let them cook at 375* for one hour.

The pork is always fall off the bone tender, and the kraut is delicious. I serve it with sides of buttered spaetzle and cinnamon applesauce. Perfect meal for a cold damp evening like we had down here tonight.

My fiance isn't a fan of pork chops because her mother used to cook the crap out of them, tough think tasteless peices of grey meat.

I get them double cut, slit them open and stuff them with a whole bunch of stuff.  Prosciutto, shallots, mushrooms, asiago cheese, sage, pin them with toothpicks, sear them off in the cast iron and finish them off in the oven.  Hit them with a bourbon butter brown sugar glaze at the end.  

Gotta love pork.