Ranking 5 TEs from Senior Bowl

bla bla bla

McBride- Stud. 

Ruckert- Stud(lite). Gonna test so well and is already well rounded.

Turner- F TE who will need grooming but he’s long and athletic

Ferguson- Meh Y TE who can step in and be fully formed from day 1. 

Kolar- Slow F TE who lacks athleticism. I guess he’s savvy but his best days might already be behind him.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Wanted to take a look at the 5 TEs we were working with at the Senior Bowl. I'm no pro at this by any means but if I had to rank them:

1) Trey McBride (Most Established) - 90 Rec - 1121 Yards - 1 TD this season

2) Charlie Kolar (Best Value) - 40+ Rec & 6+ TD each of last 3 years

3) Jeremy Ruckert (Hometown Kid with High Upside) - 5th Receiving Option

4) Cole Turner (Only been TE for 2 Years) - Plenty of growth left

5) Jake Ferguson (High Floor but possible Low Ceiling) - 4 Year starter - Heavy run offense

Would love to hear other people's input as well!

Jake Ferguson.png

Charlie Kolar.png

Cole Turner.png

Jeremy Ruckert.png

Trey McBride.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-23 at 4.51.29 PM.png

Will watch later. Thanks for this. 

I like Kolar for some reason.  He's a guy I'd love to see added if the Jets double-dipped at TE and got a guy like Wydermyer or McBride earlier.

If there's one group on the Jets that could be turned from a complete weakness into a bonafide strength in a single offseason it's TE.

Sign Dalton Shultz, Draft Mc Bride, Draft Kolar late.  With the existing Ryan Griffin as TE3 that becomes a dramatically upgraded group of 4 for 2022.

How about some 12 personnel with Shultz and McBride on the field together?

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Wanted to take a look at the 5 TEs we were working with at the Senior Bowl. I'm no pro at this by any means but if I had to rank them:

5) Jake Ferguson (High Floor but possible Low Ceiling) - 4 Year starter - Heavy run offense

Jake Ferguson.png

Charlie Kolar.png

Cole Turner.png

Jeremy Ruckert.png

Trey McBride.png

Nice job but now you've left me with a conondrum.

I want ALL of them.

But given JDs penchant for team captains and bright guys, looks like its going to be Kolar.

The bigger the better.

We had better grab at least one and one in FA.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Honestly, you ought to be flogged for putting Kolar over Ruckert. I dunno when the last time a public flogging was legal or endorsed, but I will look into it. 

Can you expound upon this? Am very curious as to which big pass catching TE I should be clamoring over.  The whole "captain" thing just strikes me as a JD box to check.  

37 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Honestly, you ought to be flogged for putting Kolar over Ruckert. I dunno when the last time a public flogging was legal or endorsed, but I will look into it. 

Let me clarify a little, I do like Kolar for a 4th over Ruckert for a 2nd/3rd but id like to add 2 TEs this offseason and would prefer some combo like this:

Schultz + Ruckert

Or

McBride + Kolar

• Upvote 1

Guest Greg Dulcich of UCLA

Greg Dulcich of UCLA I would also look at lower in the third round as a possible second tight end pick. Every time I watched this kid I said he is athletically gifted and can block. Think our OC would love him. Great list guys.

13 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Can you expound upon this? Am very curious as to which big pass catching TE I should be clamoring over.  The whole "captain" thing just strikes me as a JD box to check.  

12 hours ago, bla bla bla said:

Let me clarify a little, I do like Kolar for a 4th over Ruckert for a 2nd/3rd but id like to add 2 TEs this offseason and would prefer some combo like this:

Schultz + Ruckert

Or

McBride + Kolar

11 hours ago, Claymation said:

Kolar catches the ball with his hands, not a body catcher like Mims. Good body control. Curious to see how he does in the Gauntlet at he combine. I hope he snatches the ball like he did in his highlights. Interesting prospect.

I'll save my Ruckert breakdown for a thread at another time, but apologies to the Kolar fan club, but he should thank Iowa St play callers for even getting drafted. He's not very athletic, his blocking is awful imo, and most of his big plays are breakdowns in coverage. He's got good hands and tracks the ball well, so he may find a depth role ala Daniel Brown but i would be blown away if he keeps a starting job anywhere in the NFL...

Blown away.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Paradis said:

I'll save my Ruckert breakdown for a thread at another time, but apologies to the Kolar fan club, but he should thank Iowa St play callers for even getting drafted. He's not very athletic, his blocking is awful imo, and most of his big plays are breakdowns in coverage. He's got good hands and tracks the ball well, so he may find a depth role ala Daniel Brown but i would be blown away if he keeps a starting job anywhere in the NFL...

Blown away.

I am really starting to believe that Ruckert will be a Jet last weekend in April. And I think your reaction on our annual Zoom call will go viral.?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Paradis said:

Blown away.

No need to apologize, I am not part of his fan club. He's a good value pick in the 5th round, 6'6" makes him a RZ target. Could make an argument that he has the best hands for a TE in this draft. He isn't going to create separation. He is lean for his size, so adding 10-15 lbs, isn't going to diminish his route running because it is already weak, but it will help with his blocking, and contested balls. He is an interesting target. His best trait are his hands, after watching 30+ dropped balls this past season, that should be JD's primary focus. 

• Upvote 1

Tre McBride (my clear favorite, must draft early 2nd if available imo)

FULL Scouting report: 

Trey is a 4th year Senior who aligns at TE for the Rams offense. He is a good athlete with regards to agility and movement skills. In the run game, he's not an over powering inline blocker but he plays with physical toughness at the point of attack. In the passing game he has excelled as the primary receiving target for that offense. He does a good job uncovering and plays with sufficient straight line speed. His football instincts makes him effective against zone defenses.  He displays good, strong hands to make catches away from his frame. He has enjoyed success as the primary target on offense and has been extremely productive. On 3rd downs, he is a versatile asset that displays the skill set to align at H, FB, TE or Y. His toughness, speed and agility projects him well as a core special teams player. 

Ideal Role: Y or F

Scheme Fit: Spread offensive scheme, multiple offense

FILM EVALUATION

Written by Drae Harris

Games watched: SDSU (2021), SJSU (2021), UNM (2021)

Best Game Studied: UNM

Worst Game Studied: SDSU

Hands: He has good hands and catch radius. He easily catches the football when contact is imminent. He doesn't allow the ball to get into his frame and has very strong mitts to pluck the football out of the air.

Route Running: Theres noting glaringly deficient with his ability as a route runner. He certainly has the speed and agility to separate. However with regards to nuance in the position, I feel like McBride still has room for improvement to maximize his separation

Versatility: This players versatility may be his strongest attribute. He is equally proficient at aligning at Y, F, H or FB. He also projects as a good core special teams player, as well.

Competitive Toughness: He displays good competitive toughness, particularly as an inline blocker. He is also good in contested catch situations, showing competitiveness as well. His functional strength is effective for playing in tight alignments and working in the box.

Ball Skills: He has good ball skills along with outstanding hand eye coordination. He does a good job tracking the deep ball. He also shows good hands to secure the catch and his catch radius is going to provide his quarterback with a big target.

Blocking Skills: McBride is a willing inline blocker. He is not overpowering but does a good job of holding the point of attack to stay sticky and engage in defensive linemen when called upon to occupy.

Football IQ: He plays with good IQ. He is instinctive and crafty as a route runner. He also shows his IQ to not run into zone coverage underneath; instead choosing to sit down and make himself available to his quarterback.

RAC Skills: He has proven through his big plays that he has value after the catch. He is a good athlete who will threaten the defense with his elusiveness in space

Pass Protection: He is a willing pass protector. He is physically tough and competitive which helps him where he lacks true technique in pass pro. 

Big Play Ability: He is a big play TE who has been extremely productive. He has been their primary receiver and the person their offense runs through.

3 hours ago, Claymation said:

No need to apologize, I am not part of his fan club. He's a good value pick in the 5th round, 6'6" makes him a RZ target. Could make an argument that he has the best hands for a TE in this draft. He isn't going to create separation. He is lean for his size, so adding 10-15 lbs, isn't going to diminish his route running because it is already weak, but it will help with his blocking, and contested balls. He is an interesting target. His best trait are his hands, after watching 30+ dropped balls this past season, that should be JD's primary focus. 

Fair assessment. He’d be a situational TE3 on my roster. 3rd downs and RZ for 5 yard slants/digs/bubbles etc based on hand reliability. But I wouldn’t be penciling him in as either my starting Y or F

On 1/23/2022 at 5:27 PM, bla bla bla said:

Jake Ferguson.png

Charlie Kolar.png

Cole Turner.png

Jeremy Ruckert.png

Trey McBride.png

Ryan- how tall is McBride? 6-5 or 6-4 or 6-3?  Seen all of them.  

With McBride's rocketeer act, and others like Ruckert stealing some headlines -- Isiah Likely is flying under the radar, at least with fans/draft community. I had him over McBride throughout the year. In fact, i haven't gone back (yet) to formally rank them, but I'm assuming McBride will hold his place at/near the top.... 

But Likely? That guy has a lot more in common with Aaron Hernandez at the position, or Jordan Reed, than those who are often compared to the two Gators. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, Paradis said:

With McBride's rocketeer act, and others like Ruckert stealing some headlines -- Isiah Likely is flying under the radar, at least with fans/draft community. I had him over McBride throughout the year. In fact, i haven't gone back (yet) to formally rank them, but I'm assuming McBride will hold his place at/near the top.... 

But Likely? That guy has a lot more in common with Aaron Hernandez at the position, or Jordan Reed, than those who are often compared to the two Gators. 

Likely is awesome. Way underrated. We all talk about the WR spot but you love tight ends, I love 12 personnel, and LaFleur ran a ton of 12 sets with last year’s group of tight ends. Boy would I love to grab two guys from this class on day two and figure out WR some other way. Did the Colts do that for Luck the year they drafted him or a year later?

McBride coming in at 6’3 doesn’t bother me a bit but not a lot of 6’3 tight ends who aren’t absolute burners at the position going in the first round. He runs north of 4.6 I think there’s a better than decent chance he’s there day two and I’d gladly snap him up there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, derp said:

Likely is awesome. Way underrated. We all talk about the WR spot but you love tight ends, I love 12 personnel, and LaFleur ran a ton of 12 sets with last year’s group of tight ends. Boy would I love to grab two guys from this class on day two and figure out WR some other way. Did the Colts do that for Luck the year they drafted him or a year later?

McBride coming in at 6’3 doesn’t bother me a bit but not a lot of 6’3 tight ends who aren’t absolute burners at the position going in the first round. He runs north of 4.6 I think there’s a better than decent chance he’s there day two and I’d gladly snap him up there.

Yes, Fleener and Dwayne Allen from Clemson I believe. They were following the hot trailblazing Patriots who drafted Gronk and Hern in the same draft to run the 12 package -- who ripped ME off...

that's right.

I went hardcore down rabbit hole of the DRAFT PETTIGREW and run him and Dustin Keller together in a 12 package - and Bill Belli ripped me off. one year later those bastards took that scheme straight to the superbowl. 

• Upvote 1

I don't think the value is there taking a TE with one of the second round picks, this is an uber uber deep TE class. I don't think there's going to be much difference between a second round TE and a fourth or fifth round TE in this draft. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PLO said:

I don't think the value is there taking a TE with one of the second round picks, this is an uber uber deep TE class. I don't think there's going to be much difference between a second round TE and a fourth or fifth round TE in this draft. 

ya got a good point there. We have only so many picks. if we can sign a guy like Schultz, we can afford to drop back and pick up a TE in round 3/4/5.  So many needs to upgrade this roster and JD needs to focus on edge, OL, LB, CB, S, WR. Even with a trade back with pick 10, it would give us an extra 2nd rounder, giving us two #1's and three #2's.  3 out of 5 of those picks need to go to defese which was just atrociuos - edge, cb, lb - the other 2 OL and WR. All of these are more important than TE and its a good argument that one can wait until later since its probably the deepest position in this draft class.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, sec101row23 said:

When Ruckert starts running some “traditional” TE routes this week people are going to start pumping him up.   He’ll be a solid mid day two pick.   He’s a legit 6’5” with an 80” wingspan.  

Don't Jinx it, Ok!?!? Ruckert is at the Senior Bowl with the Jets CS...

Ruckert. Senior Bowl. Jets. 

Qv1qlte.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2