Ranking 5 TEs from Senior Bowl

bla bla bla

7 hours ago, PLO said:

I don't think the value is there taking a TE with one of the second round picks, this is an uber uber deep TE class. I don't think there's going to be much difference between a second round TE and a fourth or fifth round TE in this draft. 

Take your favorite with the 2nd 2nd, and another late.  There is value in getting your favorite TE.  It’s probably a long term starter.  

On 1/26/2022 at 11:00 PM, Paradis said:

I'll save my Ruckert breakdown for a thread at another time, but apologies to the Kolar fan club, but he should thank Iowa St play callers for even getting drafted. He's not very athletic, his blocking is awful imo, and most of his big plays are breakdowns in coverage. He's got good hands and tracks the ball well, so he may find a depth role ala Daniel Brown but i would be blown away if he keeps a starting job anywhere in the NFL...

Blown away.

I think you and many others in this thread are missing the boat with Kolar. For some odd reason I've watched an abundance of Iowa State games over the past few years and he would take over games and was impossible to stop. They knew it was going to him and they couldn't stop him.

I also think he'll test a lot better than most are giving him credit for. I'll concede that I didn't see a good blocker but he's a huge target, huge wingspan, with some soft ass hands. Would love to see us draft him.

Comparing him to Daniel Brown is shortsighted at best. 

Prepare to be blown away. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/27/2022 at 10:39 AM, Claymation said:

No need to apologize, I am not part of his fan club. He's a good value pick in the 5th round, 6'6" makes him a RZ target. Could make an argument that he has the best hands for a TE in this draft. He isn't going to create separation. He is lean for his size, so adding 10-15 lbs, isn't going to diminish his route running because it is already weak, but it will help with his blocking, and contested balls. He is an interesting target. His best trait are his hands, after watching 30+ dropped balls this past season, that should be JD's primary focus. 

The 5th round for Kolar is nothing but a pipe dream. He'll never make it out of the 3rd.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, RobR said:

The 5th round for Kolar is nothing but a pipe dream. He'll never make it out of the 3rd.

That maybe the case, but I thought Michael Carter was a sure fire 2nd rounder and he went in the 4th. Until these prospects get tested at combine and their pro days, we really have no idea who is going where.

https://jetsway.substack.com/p/senior-bowl-friday-recap

Ron Middleton Quotes

Jets TE’s coach Ron Middleton has been acting Head Coach for the National team this week and he spoke to the media yesterday and there were a couple of notable quotes on tight ends the Jets are expected to be interested in:

On Ohio State TE Jeremy Ruckert:

“Well, you’ve got to take into account the offense that he’s in. When he was given opportunities to make plays on the ball, he made plays on the ball. Don’t know what the extent of his route tree is, how many routes he’s run, but he had no issue catching the ball when it was thrown to him and he did not pass up a chance to knock the hell out of somebody, he likes contact, and once he gets the ball in his hands he still likes contact. He moves good and he has a burst after the catch, a lot of positives about that kid. From a coaching standpoint, there’s nothing not to like, there are some technical issues that you have to incorporate with him and get him better at, but he’s a fine prospect”.

On Colorado State TE Trey McBride:

“Fine prospect. He's a tough guy...it ain't gonna be nothing pretty, it's just doggone meat and potatoes baby...he loves to grind, he loves the strain...his technique from a blocking standpoint has the furthest to go, but he will stick his face in there, he will latch on, we have to get his hands tighter on contact, we have to get his feet moving on contact, but the strain, the effort, and the want to are there. The guy is going to make plays, he’s not going to run away from anybody by no means, but he’s going to make plays in the passing game, you throw him the ball and he’s going to catch it”

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

https://jetsway.substack.com/p/senior-bowl-friday-recap

Ron Middleton Quotes

Jets TE’s coach Ron Middleton has been acting Head Coach for the National team this week and he spoke to the media yesterday and there were a couple of notable quotes on tight ends the Jets are expected to be interested in:

On Ohio State TE Jeremy Ruckert:

“Well, you’ve got to take into account the offense that he’s in. When he was given opportunities to make plays on the ball, he made plays on the ball. Don’t know what the extent of his route tree is, how many routes he’s run, but he had no issue catching the ball when it was thrown to him and he did not pass up a chance to knock the hell out of somebody, he likes contact, and once he gets the ball in his hands he still likes contact. He moves good and he has a burst after the catch, a lot of positives about that kid. From a coaching standpoint, there’s nothing not to like, there are some technical issues that you have to incorporate with him and get him better at, but he’s a fine prospect”.

On Colorado State TE Trey McBride:

“Fine prospect. He's a tough guy...it ain't gonna be nothing pretty, it's just doggone meat and potatoes baby...he loves to grind, he loves the strain...his technique from a blocking standpoint has the furthest to go, but he will stick his face in there, he will latch on, we have to get his hands tighter on contact, we have to get his feet moving on contact, but the strain, the effort, and the want to are there. The guy is going to make plays, he’s not going to run away from anybody by no means, but he’s going to make plays in the passing game, you throw him the ball and he’s going to catch it”

Either one is fine.?

• 3 weeks later...
57 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Yeah none of these guys seem worthy of a 2nd round pick.  Mcbride is actually small and slow.  3rd or 4th round for any of them.

I actually am starting to think this way as well. It could change if we end up re-signing Kroft in FA and go into the draft w/o any meaningful additions at TE. However, similar to the logic @ WR in past draft, if depth is the strength of this TE class, why are we going to set the market at 35 or 38? Lets see who falls to round 3 (or four) and get him and use our earlier picks at positions where there is still a need, but more of a drop off to the talent we can get later in the draft. 

Ideally Id hope we can either trade back from 10 and get a mid/late 2nd and use that on Ruckert or McBride. I think there is a good to great chance one of them is still there in the back half of round two. 

• Upvote 3