All I want for Draft Day is...

nycdan

We just watched an incredible weekend of football.

What I saw was Ja'Marr Chase, Cooper Kupp and Tyreek Hill dominating the field (not to mention that no-name from BUF with 4 TDs).  

It seems pretty clear that you don't need a running game to win in the NFL today.  You barely even need a defense.  You need a monster QB-WR or QB-TE combination.  And a great Kicker.

Not sure if we have the QB, but in any case, I think WR just moved up my list of wants.  Not all those guys were top-10 picks, but play the odds...if there's a guy at #10 they think can be a true #1, draft him.

• Upvote 2

Chase obviously went fifth overall.

Kupp a day two pick. Star receivers on SF and GB - Samuel and Adams - day two picks. Brown who had a monster game for Tennessee - day two pick. Hill - day three pick. No name on Buffalo (Davis) - day three pick. Buffalo’s actual star receiver Diggs - day three pick. Star tight ends still in the playoffs - Kelce a day two pick, Kittle day three.

Obviously some great receivers are drafted in the first round but legitimately special pass catchers are found all over the draft. Need to build more of a stable of guys and take some shots all across the draft.

The NFL favors traits early - at most positions really - and I think the current illegal contact rules make it a good setup for technicians who end up slipping a little.

• Upvote 2

Keep signing FA wide receivers and drafting rookie WRs until you feel like you have 3 excellent guys.

The Jets have started this.  Corey Davis was a decent signing, Moore looks like a very good Draft pick.  But don't stop... continue the Sign one/Trade for one, and Draft one routine.

Pick one from Column A:  Godwin, D. Adams, Amari Cooper, etc.

Pick one from Column B:  Garrett Wilson, Drake London, Treylon Burks, etc.

Let's pick  a couple and see what that would look like.... say Godwin and Drake London.

Godwin, Moore, Corey Davis, Drake London, Braxton Berrios.  Not bad.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Keep signing FA wide receivers and drafting rookie WRs until you feel like you have 3 excellent guys.

The Jets have started this.  Corey Davis was a decent signing, Moore looks like a very good Draft pick.  But don't stop... continue the Sign one/Trade for one, and Draft one routine.

Let's pick  a couple and see what that would look like.... say Godwin and Drake London.

JETS can and should build the WR core. going to be interesting to see who gets tagged and is ultimately unavailable but Burks has become my favorite WR because he is something that we don't have, combination of an AJ Brown and Deebo

Pipe dream to get Adams, but anyone saying he won't leave Rogers (and I was one of those guys) after this weekend I think its a possibility. does he want to be a part of a younger team, maybe not but JD has to be on his phone first thing when FA opens

Adams, Moore, Burks, Davis, Berrios

Cooper, Moore, Burks, Davis Berrios

can also add depth guys like Russell Gage, Jauan Jennings - still have guys like Juju coming up too.. 

6 hours ago, Stark said:

JETS can and should build the WR core. going to be interesting to see who gets tagged and is ultimately unavailable but Burks has become my favorite WR because he is something that we don't have, combination of an AJ Brown and Deebo

Pipe dream to get Adams, but anyone saying he won't leave Rogers (and I was one of those guys) after this weekend I think its a possibility. does he want to be a part of a younger team, maybe not but JD has to be on his phone first thing when FA opens

Adams, Moore, Burks, Davis, Berrios

Cooper, Moore, Burks, Davis Berrios

can also add depth guys like Russell Gage, Jauan Jennings - still have guys like Juju coming up too.. 

You OK paying Adams 20M plus?

19 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Corey Davis is bad, the rest I like

3 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I don't think he's "bad" but he's a hold-the-fort guy who was signed not just because the Jets needed a veteran pass-catcher but they wanted a solid possession guy who can also block in the running game.  Davis is a JAG, and an expensive one at that, but he was also injured quite a bit.  Really hoping that he looks better next year..... while at the same time hoping we've upgraded the WR group enough that he only sees about 40% of the snaps on offense.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

45 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I probably would too but it has huge risk as well. He will be 30 next year.

Yes I understand he will be 30. He seems to look like he’s got a few good years left and I don’t think he falls off on his 30th bday. 

there isn’t really a close 2nd to him that we think would be available. 

we still need to draft a guy and Adams can help bring along Moore and the other rookie, whom ever that might be. Burks, London or Wilson 

4 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

4 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I don't think he's "bad" but he's a hold-the-fort guy who was signed not just because the Jets needed a veteran pass-catcher but they wanted a solid possession guy who can also block in the running game.  Davis is a JAG, and an expensive one at that, but he was also injured quite a bit.  Really hoping that he looks better next year..... while at the same time hoping we've upgraded the WR group enough that he only sees about 40% of the snaps on offense.

He's better than that, he's just miscast as a no. 1 WR. No coincidence his best season happened after AJ Brown's breakout - he's very good when faced with the opposing team's second-best coverage guy, and not very good when he's the focus of the opposing team defense. Which is one reason I am banging the drum for the team to sign a true number one like Adams this offseason.

• Upvote 1