What’s Joe Douglas thinking after watching that KC Buffalo game?

Rhg1084

Both those teams have so many options on offense that you just can’t cover everyone. Just constant pressure placed on the opposing defense. I respect what JD tried to do at the receiver position last offseason but it isn’t enough. Need 2-3 more legit targets at least then we can worry about the defense.

• Upvote 3

For the most part the teams playing this weekend were all fairly loaded with talent and most have franchise QBs.  The only outlier to me seems to be Garapolo but I'm starting to believe SF is riding both excellent coaching and excellent systems.
I mean, Kittle and Deebo Samuel are great.  Their RB is very good, not great, but that wide zone running scheme looks awfully familiar and has made our 4th round RB, Michael Carter, look pretty good at times as well.
But the other teams.... elite QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, Burrow, etc.
The Final 4 TEs.... CJ Uzomah, Kittle, Higbee, Kelce.  2 Elite guys, one very good, one good.
The WRs that are left?  Holy moly.  Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Jamar Chase and PLENTY of very, very good WR2s and WR3s.
And just think about the elite talent that LOST this weekend.... AJ Brown, Mike Evans, Stefon Diggs, Davante Adams, Gronk, Derrick Henry, Aaron Jones, etc.

Question - Do the Jets have one single starter anywhere near the zip code of those guys above?  I'm just wondering if Elijah Moore (arguably the Jets only hopeful future weapon) would even be a WR2 on a couple of those teams.

THIS!!!!!!! This is what happens when draft defense in the first round for years! Last skill position player drafted in the 1st round: Dustin Keller

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

41 minutes ago, RJIII said:

MAHOMES is going to be a problem for any team in the AFC for the next decade. 

I actually thought Allen was better than Mahomes tonight.

But regardless, the point is that we have a problem, and that is the AFC is loaded with QB talent now. Allen, Mahomes, Burrow, Herbert… 

If JD doesn’t get a stud, it’ll be many more years of watching from the couch.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

For the most part the teams playing this weekend were all fairly loaded with talent and most have franchise QBs.  The only outlier to me seems to be Garapolo but I'm starting to believe SF is riding both excellent coaching and excellent systems.

I mean, Kittle and Deebo Samuel are great.  Their RB is very good, not great, but that wide zone running scheme looks awfully familiar and has made our 4th round RB, Michael Carter, look pretty good at times as well.

But the other teams.... elite QBs like Brady, Rodgers, Allen, Mahomes, Stafford, Burrow, etc.

The Final 4 TEs.... CJ Uzomah, Kittle, Higbee, Kelce.  2 Elite guys, one very good, one good.

The WRs that are left?  Holy moly.  Tyreek Hill, Cooper Kupp, Deebo Samuel, Jamar Chase and PLENTY of very, very good WR2s and WR3s.

And just think about the elite talent that LOST this weekend.... AJ Brown, Mike Evans, Stefon Diggs, Davante Adams, Gronk, Derrick Henry, Aaron Jones, etc.

Question - Do the Jets have one single starter anywhere near the zip code of those guys above?  I'm just wondering if Elijah Moore (arguably the Jets only hopeful future weapon) would even be a WR2 on a couple of those teams.

Take a look at the first season for each player on your list.  Except for Chase and Evans (who were top 10 picks), it took 2-4 years for every player to produce at a top level.  How about giving Moore and Carter some times. It is ridiculously rare for a rookie to tear up the league.  Have a little patience.  Moore could easily be a perennial 1200 yard a season WR

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, PS17 said:

The Bills built the best defense in the league in terms of points, yardage, third down percentage. How’d that work out? Defense is dead. As much as you and I hate it. Draft offensive studs and pass rushers. That’s it. 

Defense was dead in that game I’ll give you that. It was embarrassing- as much as people want to throw accolades at QBs throwing complete passes to players wide open equal time is needed to call out the poor play of the defenses. This wasn’t exactly great offensive plays over great defensive performances. 

It was like watching an NBA game with each team performing through the legs 360 degree twists  uncontested dunks initially mesmerizing but reaching  the point of absurdity. The spectacular isn’t so special anymore.

In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised that the NFL wants to go the way of the NBA. Offense offense offense to the point where it doesn’t become special anymore. One on one Mano o Mano. It becomes a bloviated stats game. Develop personalities to popularize the game. The NFL was ecstatic with those two games yesterday. A game that has been losing popularity. The Brady Era is over. Time for new blood. Modern era football blood.

How many offensive line holds were called yesterday? In both games - I think zero. It’s quite obvious that the refs were told to bury their flags. How many defensive back holds? Enough to send a message 

The game is being manipulated for more offense and yesterday particularly the latter game was an extreme example to the point where it became target practice in what was suppose to be an elite professional playoff game.  

So maybe you are right - get the best talent on offense, create an adequate defense, teach your offense line to hold discretely with a nod and a wink from the NFL and there’s your winning formula 

I’m not sure in the long run that it is a good thing. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Zach Wilson has an extreme amount of improvement to do if this team is to stand a chance at competing in the next few years. 

The great QB's cannot be stopped when they're on it, doesn't matter what the defence can do. Wilson can't just be adequate, he has to be great to compete with these guys. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Zach Wilson has an extreme amount of improvement to do if this team is to stand a chance at competing in the next few years. 

The great QB's cannot be stopped when they're on it, doesn't matter what the defence can do. Wilson can't just be adequate, he has to be great to compete with these guys. 

The good thing is Zach has the physical talent that’s right there with the top QBs

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

This might seem an odd thing to say but ... does it really change anything?

You build the team the way you believe in, to be the best that it can be. Then you take on the opponents that are on your schedule. You don't draft / develop to counter what other teams are doing or you end up chasing your tail. We play 17 games a year - you have to build a team to play well in all of them, not just focus on the top teams and the players they have now. If you do that, but the time you're ready to compete they could have moved team, got injured, regressed, retired ... who knows.

13 minutes ago, jamesr said:

This might seem an odd thing to say but ... does it really change anything?

You build the team the way you believe in, to be the best that it can be. Then you take on the opponents that are on your schedule. You don't draft / develop to counter what other teams are doing or you end up chasing your tail. We play 17 games a year - you have to build a team to play well in all of them, not just focus on the top teams and the players they have now. If you do that, but the time you're ready to compete they could have moved team, got injured, regressed, retired ... who knows.

Agree. Was that game an anomaly? - maybe, but it’s definitely a trend that has been creeping into the NFL for sometime and it’s what the NFL wants. They won’t fix games but the NFL  will increase the likelihood that offense will succeed - they will stack the deck.

I agree with you - you don’t change your philosophy. If you try to copy them you are doomed. You protect your QB, maximize the depth and talent on the defensive line and you go man to man on wide receivers. San Francisco 49ers  are the antidote - it’s just a question  whether the NFL will let them succeed. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

Agree. Was that game an anomaly? - maybe, but it’s definitely a trend that has been creeping into the NFL for sometime and it’s what the NFL wants. They won’t fix games but the NFL  will increase the likelihood that offense will succeed - they will stack the deck.

I agree with you - you don’t change your philosophy. If you try to copy them you are doomed. You protect your QB, maximize the depth and talent on the defensive line and you go man to man on wide receivers. San Francisco 49ers  are the antidote - it’s just a matter whether the NFL will let them succeed. 

I think SF's time is up next weekend ... they've done well to get this far, but winning on the Dak non-spike and a blocked punt TD return will only get you so far. They just don't seem to have that ability to kill other teams off - they have to rely on the other team to implode.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I wonder what Bill Belichick was thinking after today's games as well.  Is Mac Jones really the guy who can get a team over the hump in the AFC?  I still think BB might go in a different direction next year if he gets the opportunity.

Mac Jones could Never go toe to toe with ANY of these QBs in the playoffs....so “at least we have that going for us”.

Very small sample size but we just saw our guy go toe to toe with Tom Brady and have him beat for 59 min 45 seconds, where his best skill position options were maybe WR4 and No RBs.  Same scenario, Mac Jones couldn’t do that.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, August said:

I don’t know if we have the QB. The playoffs showed us that you need a QB to elevate the team, we have a QB that needs everything to go well in order to perform adequately. 

6 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Take a look at the first season for each player on your list.  Except for Chase and Evans (who were top 10 picks), it took 2-4 years for every player to produce at a top level.  How about giving Moore and Carter some times. It is ridiculously rare for a rookie to tear up the league.  Have a little patience.  Moore could easily be a perennial 1200 yard a season WR

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

The good thing is Zach has the physical talent that’s right there with the top QBs

Was going to post about the same thing in rebuttal to August. First off Patrick sat for a year behind Alex Smith, who by the way was playing at a pretty high level at the time. So learning your first year is not a bad thing. Second, While Josh Allen has turned out to be a very good to elite QB right now he certainly wasn't his first year, and in fact was ridiculed on this and probably many other boards for not being able to hit the broad side of a barn when he threw the football. 

Nobody, knows whether Zach will become as good as either of these guys, we can only hope, but there are some thing that you can see from him that say he has the chance. If the naysayers don't see that, then sorry, but I believe we're not going to see until 2023 at the very least what he will become.

If the JETS get 2  WR's (one Draft, one FA) who can complete as #1WR's and get 2 TE who can compete as #1 TE's then there is hope for this team. We need that this year because we need Zach to get some sort of playing time with them to develop chemistry. If that doesn't happen, then it's going to be another year like 2021.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, PS17 said:

The Bills built the best defense in the league in terms of points, yardage, third down percentage. How’d that work out? Defense is dead. As much as you and I hate it. Draft offensive studs and pass rushers. That’s it. 

this is the simple, harsh reality of the nfl.  The league’s best defense was roasted for 552 yards of total offense, giving up 7.6 yards per play.  Watching the playoffs you realize why taking a db in the top half of round 1 is a mistake.  

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

And some here want to say they were Gase picks and let JD wash his hands of any accountability.

and the same 3 posters spout the same crap that we have to read as well. I don't think I need to list you guys. I'm sure they'll be in the downvote box lol..

Seriously, what does the past have to do with what's going on now. JD improved himself and whether you believe it or not he gets another chance to do it again in 2022. If he F's up, we'll all be on board with asking for his head. His 2021 draft was crap we all know that, and we have different belief's as to whether it was at Gase's behest or not. Let's see what he does this offseason, and the upcoming draft, then either praise him or hang him out to dry.

39 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

I agree with you - you don’t change your philosophy. If you try to copy them you are doomed. You protect your QB, maximize the depth and talent on the defensive line and you go man to man on wide receivers. San Francisco 49ers  are the antidote - it’s just a question  whether the NFL will let them succeed. 

They have been stacking the deck against the defense for 15 years.

Joe D has a plan and he is going to execute. You are not going to change your plan because of one game.

What that plan is ? I don't know. I am guessing he and Salah are looking at what the Niners are doing and looking to take that to next level and that takes time. I

• Upvote 1

He's thinking; win at the LOS and find some game breakers on offense, pretty much what he's been trying to do. 

I get the overall feeling around here after that game; how are we every going to compete?  Is Zach Wilson good enough to ever be in a game like that?  I'm not sure but Jared Goff was and I dont think he's an overwhelming impressive QB.  That game was amazing last night but remember 2 years ago?  MNF Goff vs. Mahomes.  Mahomes threw for 478 6 TD's and scored 51 points.  Well, Goff threw for 413 4 TD and added one on the ground and the Rams won by scoring 54 points (no Cooper Kupp either).  

Surround Zach with the best talent you can find and lets see what he's got, let's be real, he's going to have to be elite.   Mahomes is the greatest I've ever seen play the position and Josh Allen is an Avatar.  Going to be a wild ride.

The one thing I will say about this new batch elite QB's in the NFL, they're sooooo much more fun to watch than the statues of Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.  And these dudes are much better sports than that piece of sh*t Brady. 

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, Gen X Jet said:

He’s thinking what we’re all thinking- how does buffalo not squib that kick and how does their D not cover Kelsey and the Cheetah in a big spot?

how well did the jets cover gronk when bowles was hc?  maybe not fair but it does show the need for a really good te.

22 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

They have been stacking the deck against the defense for 15 years.

Joe D has a plan and he is going to execute. You are not going to change your plan because of one game.

What that plan is ? I don't know. I am guessing he and Salah are looking at what the Niners are doing and looking to take that to next level and that takes time. I

That is a reasonable take so far.  This would likely mean beefing up the OL and pass rush in round 1 and taking wr/te in rounds 2 and 3.