What’s Joe Douglas thinking after watching that KC Buffalo game?

Rhg1084

2 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Physically tools = arm strength, run speed, size, weight / height. I compared those things to Mahomes and Allen. These are physical tools.

And yes the majority of the league is the athletic type of QB but no half the league don’t  possess cannon arms and the ability to escape the pocket and kill you running or throwing on the run.

Zach Wilson can do those things that’s why I said athletically he’s near Mahomes and Allen.

What is to hard to understand?

I understand your analogy, I just strongly disagree with it.

7 minutes ago, Coffee Is Great said:

I love the critical thinking ability of a good chunk of this forum. Blasting JD for missing out on a 4th round WR who had 35 catches for 500 yards this year. Okay. I think some JD critics wonder why he didn't draft every single eligible player in the draft. 

Everyone here is a Monday morning draft expert who had all the guys that succeeded in the NFL on their draft board ahead of JD picks. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Question - Do the Jets have one single starter anywhere near the zip code of those guys above?  I'm just wondering if Elijah Moore (arguably the Jets only hopeful future weapon) would even be a WR2 on a couple of those teams.

I reckon the Packers, Titans and 49ers could all use Elijah Moore, though it's questionable whether Rodgers would even look in Moore's direction, since he was apparently fixated on feeding Davante Adams against the Niners. Moore would be better than the walking corpse of Julio Jones and Derrick Henry was clearly not ready to play the Bengals. A 49ers team with Deebo, Elijah Moore and Elijah Mitchell would have Shanahan salivating, even with having to put up with Jimmy G as his quarterback.

The true answer to this thread? I think he's feeling reassured by his plan. 

The Jets and Joe Douglas have admired the Bills rebuild from afar. They had used their team as the model they sought to replicate when searching for their HC last year. Sure there are slightly different philosophies as it relates to schemes and X's and O's, but the Jets reportedly wanted to replicate a similar atmosphere and culture, which was how they came to deciding Saleh was a great fit as the "CEO-style" head coach who they felt was brining over an excellent offensive staff. The Bills tore things down, brought in the QB, then consistently invested in building around him, which is exactly what the Jets have done and will continue to do. It all clicked for Allen in year 3, and similarly the Jets are bullish that Wilson's eureka moment will come around the same time, if not sooner. I don't think it's fair to compare Wilson to Allen or Mahomes, but Wilson does have the kind of raw playmaking ability of the QBs we saw in that game. Add playmakers and continue methodically developing him the way the Bills have done with Allen and the Chiefs have done with Mahomes, and the Jets will be competing with these teams before we know it. 

• Upvote 4

On 1/23/2022 at 10:45 PM, Cyberjet said:

I’m sorry but that was the absolute worst football I’ve watched in a longtime. Entertaining yes to a point, but during both games it became laughable.

The Rams did their best keystone cop episode and the second game was so ridiculous that people were spitting out their beers laughing. Those receivers were 5-10 yards open. 4 TDs essentially uncontested in essentially 2 minutes of football. 

if that’s the new NFL it will get old quickly. I think if JD learned anything from today is you get a D that punches you in the mouth and doesn’t let you get back up. 

can anyone honestly say that there was one contested pass in the 4th quarter?

I can say that both teams have good defense.  Gased?  Probably, but good defenses with good offenses.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, jetstream23 said:

The one thing I'll say is that for a brief period the Jets found a way to hang (and even win) in a very competitive AFC.  It didn't last long but it certainly wasn't just a one game or one season fluke.  Rex and Sanchez got to two AFC Championship games (and should have won vs. Pitt IMO).  That was a decade ago when every one of Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, were in their primes.  So, it can be done.... but we are a LONG way from that and there's no quick fix or bandaid that gets the Jets back there.  It sucks, but the Jets have to continue this rebuild with Draft picks and smart FA signings while at the same time figuring out if they have the right HC and the right QB.  Of the last two, the Jets better have gotten AT LEAST one of those decisions right.

JD-Saleh-Wilson are tied at the hip.  If Jets don't make the playoffs by 2023...they probably all go.  That puts the future of the Jets back in the hands of the clueless Johnsons.  They'll probably find another Charley Casserly type consultant.  Who'll give Jets another Idzik or Big Mac to swallow. 

For me...these Three Amigos may be the Last Dance I'll swallow. 

3 hours ago, football guy said:

The true answer to this thread? I think he's feeling reassured by his plan. 

The Jets and Joe Douglas have admired the Bills rebuild from afar. They had used their team as the model they sought to replicate when searching for their HC last year. Sure there are slightly different philosophies as it relates to schemes and X's and O's, but the Jets reportedly wanted to replicate a similar atmosphere and culture, which was how they came to deciding Saleh was a great fit as the "CEO-style" head coach who they felt was brining over an excellent offensive staff. The Bills tore things down, brought in the QB, then consistently invested in building around him, which is exactly what the Jets have done and will continue to do. It all clicked for Allen in year 3, and similarly the Jets are bullish that Wilson's eureka moment will come around the same time, if not sooner. I don't think it's fair to compare Wilson to Allen or Mahomes, but Wilson does have the kind of raw playmaking ability of the QBs we saw in that game. Add playmakers and continue methodically developing him the way the Bills have done with Allen and the Chiefs have done with Mahomes, and the Jets will be competing with these teams before we know it. 

Spot on... Love the take, and I believe if JD had any doubt in the direction he needs to draft, I think this game put that to rest. The top 4 picks need to be on the offensive side of the ball this year. If not, than 2021 draft was a waste of time.

The Chiefs' OL fell apart last year, which was one of the reasons they lost the Super Bowl.  

The Chiefs' playmakers were found lower in the draft.  They built and rebuilt their OL with high draft picks.   They coached up and developed a great QB prospect that the Jets passed over.  

The Bills are a very well-built football team.  They have a great defense on all levels.  I have not figured out why they could not stop the Chiefs.  

It does not appear to me at 4 that the right pick is an offensive playmaker.  I don't think it is Karlaftis either.  Based on history, it is likely an OL.   Although you can argue that good WRs are found lower in the draft, it would appear to me that WRs have been underdrafted over the past 5 or so years-WRs picked 10-20 or so, or lower, have an outsize impact on their teams.   My guess would be that the 10 pick is probably a good one to reach a bit for an OL, but the 4 pick should be the best football player they can draft.