Jump to content

It's ALL about playmakers


johnnysd
 Share

Recommended Posts

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If this weekend showed anything it is that winning is all about surrounding your QB with the most talent possible. It is obvious. Even the #1 defense in the league cannot match up with elite playmakers.

Not saying you should ignore defense, but with our robust lineup of Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and possibly Berrios and nothing at TE we should go into this offseason planning on getting at least 2 high level WR and TEs and more OL.

Our first 4 picks should be on offense at least.

And before you all cry "but but EDGE!!!" 9 sacks was not enough to win in the Cincy game.

It is ALL about playmakers. As Saleh said "we will lift you (Zach) up not the other way around" Well go fooking do it.

Cincy game was quite the exception IMHO ... that amount of beating up the opposing QB will get you the win more often than not. Tanny shat the bed, and Burrow played phenomenally - you can do that once in a head to head situation but not week in week out.

Let's not forget that Buffalo held KC on quite a lot of drives (2 punts, 4 FG attempts). That still requires defense. I can't see our Jets stopping Mahomes from scoring a TD 6 times in a game.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If this weekend showed anything it is that winning is all about surrounding your QB with the most talent possible. It is obvious. Even the #1 defense in the league cannot match up with elite playmakers.

Not saying you should ignore defense, but with our robust lineup of Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and possibly Berrios and nothing at TE we should go into this offseason planning on getting at least 2 high level WR and TEs and more OL.

Our first 4 picks should be on offense at least.

And before you all cry "but but EDGE!!!" 9 sacks was not enough to win in the Cincy game.

It is ALL about playmakers. As Saleh said "we will lift you (Zach) up not the other way around" Well go fooking do it.

Couldn't agree more. Finish building the Offense. Give me 52-49 shootouts anytime

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If this weekend showed anything it is that winning is all about surrounding your QB with the most talent possible. It is obvious. Even the #1 defense in the league cannot match up with elite playmakers.

Not saying you should ignore defense, but with our robust lineup of Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and possibly Berrios and nothing at TE we should go into this offseason planning on getting at least 2 high level WR and TEs and more OL.

Our first 4 picks should be on offense at least.

And before you all cry "but but EDGE!!!" 9 sacks was not enough to win in the Cincy game.

It is ALL about playmakers. As Saleh said "we will lift you (Zach) up not the other way around" Well go fooking do it.

Right there with you. 

But even more so- COMPETENCE out of our offensive playmakers. 

How many errant passes were picked off the carpet by a TE or WR or throws receivers had to cork screw around to catch. I saw very very few drops. We have more drops in one game than I saw all weekend. 

  • Upvote 3
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I stated this weeks ago:

#4 - best olineman in the draft

#10 - best wr in the draft

#35 - best te in the draft

#38 - best rb in the draft

You also stated that pork was tastier than any fillet mignon

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I stated this weeks ago:

#4 - best olineman in the draft

#10 - best wr in the draft

#35 - best te in the draft

#38 - best rb in the draft

Almost agree with you. There really isn’t a RB in this draft we need to take at 38 that we can’t get something similar much much later. Therefore, 35 or 38 I would go defense and take one of the 2nd tier edge guys.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I stated this weeks ago:

#4 - best olineman in the draft

#10 - best wr in the draft

#35 - best te in the draft

#38 - best rb in the draft

Sure, offense is very important, especially in today's NFL, but the offense is going nowhere if the defense is allowing 40 points/game. There is no need for another RB, especially in this draft. After their 27-3 loss to the Titans, the Chiefs didn't allow another 30 point game until their loss to the Bengals. And guess what? They won all of the game in that stretch. In 6 of their first 7 games they allowed 27+ points, and they were 3-4. So while offense is important, a good defense helps offense play better. We need to draft defense, and while offense is probably priority we shouldn't be exclusive.

  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I stated this weeks ago:

#4 - best olineman in the draft

#10 - best wr in the draft

#35 - best te in the draft

#38 - best rb in the draft

It's not shopping in the supermarket.  Who you draft kind of depends on what the other 31 teams do as well.  And a big fat NO to a TE and a RB in the second round.  You can get good players at those positions in rounds 3 and later.  You can talk offense all you want, but a pass rush is what shuts down offenses in the NFL. The Jets need a pass rush.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

This draft stinks for offense. I’d rather build the offense thru free agency and trades and use the draft for the defense 

Exactly 

Trading one of those 2nd’s for a Cooper or Ridley, I’m more than fine with (still prefer Cooper).

But the overwhelming strength of this class is on the defensive side of the ball and I don’t even see how that’s debatable.

Very solid class for edgerushers, corners, safeties and LB’s. And we have overwhelming needs in each of those areas. The only unit where it’s pretty barren is for interior DL. And I don’t want one anyway.

On the offensive side, it’s a solid group along the OL, but no one can agree on who the top wideout is, there isn’t a 1st round TE no matter how much people want to pump up Trey McBride, the QB group is maybe the worst since Ponder/Locker/Gabbert in 2011, and there isn’t a standout RB.

Use most of the FA cash to add some pieces to the offense, trade one of those 2nd’s for Cooper, and then attack the hell out of the defensive side of the ball come April.

That Buffalo/KC game has completely warped peoples views.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I stated this weeks ago:

#4 - best olineman in the draft (for the Jets that's likely Ekwonu)

#10 - best wr in the draft (Wilson, London or Burks?)

#35 - best te in the draft (Wydermyer or McBride)

#38 - best rb in the draft (Spiller?)

 

Some comments above.

I'd need to have one defender in there though, likely an Edge rusher at #35.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

 

Some comments above.

I'd need to have one defender in there though, likely an Edge rusher at #35.

If we can get a competent edge in FA I would love somehow to fry Nkobe Dean. Would become the leader of that defense in a year. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If we can get a competent edge in FA I would love somehow to fry Nkobe Dean. Would become the leader of that defense in a year. 

This is a Draft where instead of the Jets having two 1st round picks at #4 and #10, I'd rather have 4 picks between #15 and #32.

To me it just feels like the sweet spot is outside the Top 10 and lasts through the 2nd round.  Between 15 and 32 that's where you could get a Nakobe Dean (or Lloyd) at LB, a starting WR like Wilson, London or Burks, an Edge Rusher like Cameron Thomas, and still add an OT like Petit-Friere or Raismann.  That's 2 starters on O and 2 on D before we'd even get to Round 2.

I'm praying for a tradeback somehow by JD.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, johnnysd said:

If this weekend showed anything it is that winning is all about surrounding your QB with the most talent possible. It is obvious. Even the #1 defense in the league cannot match up with elite playmakers.

Not saying you should ignore defense, but with our robust lineup of Corey Davis, Elijah Moore and possibly Berrios and nothing at TE we should go into this offseason planning on getting at least 2 high level WR and TEs and more OL.

Our first 4 picks should be on offense at least.

And before you all cry "but but EDGE!!!" 9 sacks was not enough to win in the Cincy game.

It is ALL about playmakers. As Saleh said "we will lift you (Zach) up not the other way around" Well go fooking do it.

I think we see what we want to see.  Dallas, for all of the resources they've spent on QB, OL, WR and RB couldn't score.  GB, with a HoF QB and the best WR in the NFL also couldn't find the EZ for 3+ quarters.

Jets need defense early because I'm sure none of the teams playing this weekend gave up 500 points this season, though I admittedly didn't look it up.

Get an OT who can play OG for a season with pick 4, trade down from 10 and get some help at edge, TE, WR, LB and S.

 

Edited by AFJF
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is a Draft where instead of the Jets having two 1st round picks at #4 and #10, I'd rather have 4 picks between #15 and #32.

To me it just feels like the sweet spot is outside the Top 10 and lasts through the 2nd round.  Between 15 and 32 that's where you could get a Nakobe Dean (or Lloyd) at LB, a starting WR like Wilson, London or Burks, an Edge Rusher like Cameron Thomas, and still add an OT like Petit-Friere or Raismann.  That's 2 starters on O and 2 on D before we'd even get to Round 2.

I'm praying for a tradeback somehow by JD.

You and me both. I know it’s not going to happen by we gotta get out of 4. 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I think we see what we want to see.  Dallas, for all of the resources they've spent on QB, OL, WR and RB couldn't score.  GB, with a HoF QB and the best WR in the NFL also couldn't find the EZ for 3+ quarters.

Jets need defense early because I'm sure none of the teams playing this weekend gave up 500 points this season, though I admittedly didn't look it up.

Get an OT who can play OG for a season with pick 4, trade down from 10 and get some help at edge, TE, WR, LB and S.

 

For me it just goes back to this. I actually do not care about the defense at all relative to giving Zach the support he needs to grow and develop. Our offense is far far from settled at OL, WR and TE. We need probably 2 WR 2 TE and at least 1 OL that are not JAGS this offseason. Not doing that trying to plug holes in defense early in the draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

For me it just goes back to this. I actually do not care about the defense at all relative to giving Zach the support he needs to grow and develop. Our offense is far far from settled at OL, WR and TE. We need probably 2 WR 2 TE and at least 1 OL that are not JAGS this offseason. Not doing that trying to plug holes in defense early in the draft.

This post is spot on. Yes we need Edge and several LBs but considering the fantastic TE and WR play this weekend  it’s obvious what we need to do. Also would love another RB to compliment Carter. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, New York Mick said:

lamb is the best. 

I will agree with you there. 

I have a frozen boneless leg of lamb in my freezer, cannot wait to pull that bad boy out. 

I think baby loin lamb chops on the grill with a simple S-P and fresh rosemary rub is my favorite all time meat. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

There's more than one way to win a football game. One game this weekend doesn't change that. Yes, the Chiefs won with offense yesterday. Last year the Bucs beat them in the superbowl with defense. On Saturday the Niners beat the high powered Packers offense with defense and special teams. 

BTW - there's only one Patrick Mahomes. Good luck finding a QB who can do the things that guy does. You won't.

The Bucs beat the Chiefs with defense because the Chiefs were without both starting tackles.

 

Wirfs out yesterday… same result.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...