Where does this Bills playoff loss rank in terms of all-time Brutality?

slimjasi

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh come on. That team has nothing to be ashamed of. They played the best game I ever saw. Neither D could stop the other team in the 4th. What is brutal is when you are humiliated in the process loke the spike play.

I don’t think the team has anything to be ashamed of and SHOULD be a major contender for years to come, but that was one of the most brutal playoff losses I have ever seen. 

13 seconds is 13 seconds. They had the game won. 

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I'd rather be them than us.

So however brutal it was, it's more brutal to be us.

It's a different form of brutal.  Long, extended, searing pain that never goes away no matter what medicine you pay for. Bills loss is like what they did to the Jets in 1981.  A gut punch type of pain that eventually fades to a bad memory .  Our 'brutal' is a never ending live wire .  

InfatuatedClosedCur-size_restricted.gif

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Worst ever? 

Bottom 5 worst ever? 

Bottom 10?

which losses were more brutal? 

The worst ever. Like I said in another thread even when the Bills are good they're a tortured franchise.

- Four Super Bowl losses in a row, with the only close game being a loss to the NEW YORK GIANTS.

- Music City Miracle 

- Kansas City Choke 

• Upvote 1

It has to be up there - that was a crushing loss. It’ll be interesting to see how it impacts the franchise moving forward, especially with all the upcoming big changes.

It was either their moment and they blew it, or  one of those games that sets the narrative for big wins moving forward.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

Oh come on. That team has nothing to be ashamed of. They played the best game I ever saw. Neither D could stop the other team in the 4th. What is brutal is when you are humiliated in the process loke the spike play.

I dunno.  I think the Bills coaching blew it towards the end.  AFAIC, the Bills coaching staff gets the Pete Carroll Choke Award.

choke.gif

3 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

I mean they leave the game knowing their QB is able to go toe to toe with the best so even in a loss you'd feel pretty good about the future. 

I'm sure they're devastated though. Knock of KC and they're likely the favourites to win it all. 

Oh absolutely - they have a legit chance to be in the mix for the next decade. Allen is that good. You just hate to blow opportunities for a SB like that. If they protect those last 13 seconds, they probably win it all this year. 

If I’m a Bill fan, I’m am smashing every TV in my house, kicking dogs, lighting my double wide on fire, beating wives and female cousins (which could be the same). 

That was absolutely brutal. Worst loss ever. 

13 seconds? GTFO. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Oh absolutely - they have a legit chance to be in the mix for the next decade. Allen is that good. You just hate to blow opportunities for a SB like that. If they protect those last 13 seconds, they probably win it all this year. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That's what makes this the worst ever.....the game was in the bag.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Dcat said:

It's a different form of brutal.  Long, extended, searing pain that never goes away no matter what medicine you pay for. Bills loss is like what they did to the Jets in 1981.  A gut punch type of pain that eventually fades to a bad memory .  Our 'brutal' is a never ending live wire .  

InfatuatedClosedCur-size_restricted.gif

I think in general that's one of the interesting questions.

Which "tortured" is more tortured?

1) Team that has been a contender at times but loses in excruciating fashion (think, Vikings)

2) Team that just sucks year in year out. (Think, Lions)

Having lived through the Jets 1997-2010 period and now the 2011-2021 period I would much rather always come up short but be in the mix than suck year in and year out.\

That said, the Jets haven't suffered a truly devastating loss since I've followed the team. The Doug Brien game is probably the closest but I don't think that is even in the same conversation as this or 28-3.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think in general that's one of the interesting questions.

Which "tortured" is more tortured?

1) Team that has been a contender at times but loses in excruciating fashion (think, Vikings)

2) Team that just sucks year in year out. (Think, Lions)

Having lived through the Jets 1997-2010 period and now the 2011-2021 period I would much rather always come up short but be in the mix than suck year in and year out.\

That said, the Jets haven't suffered a truly devastating loss since I've followed the team. The Doug Brien game is probably the closest but I don't think that is even in the same conversation as this or 28-3.

I’d also rather be in the mix and lose brutal playoff games compared to what we have had to deal with for this past decade. 

But, like you said, I’ve also never experienced a playoff loss as bad as the Bills has last night. 

There’s been so many

the one that always sticks out to me is the packers one from a few years ago, when the guy had an interception and went down on his own, when he probably could’ve returned it for a td, because they figured they already had the game locked up

1 hour ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t think the team has anything to be ashamed of and SHOULD be a major contender for years to come, but that was one of the most brutal playoff losses I have ever seen. 

13 seconds is 13 seconds. They had the game won. 

I said to my girlfriend  who said the same thing as you , that the Bills sealed the win and I said only if they stop Mahomes, that KC has players that can get them in FG position in 2 or 3 plays and the Bills will have to sack Mahomes. 

Just now, More Cowbell said:

I said to my girlfriend  who said the same thing as you , that the Bills sealed the win and I said only if they stop Mahomes, that KC has players that can get them in FG position in 2 or 3 plays and the Bills will have to sack Mahomes. 

If they squib kick, Mahomes likely doesn't even get two plays. Also, their defensive effort on the Kelce play was absurd.

The Bills choked. 

9 hours ago, slimjasi said:

Mahomes, Hill, and Kelce are magic  

Allowing the chiefs to get into FG range (just inside of 50 yards, no less!) in 13 seconds is completely inexcusable. If they just squib kick it, a few more seconds run off the clock and they very likely win.They blew the game, IMO. 

Magic ??? Stupidity on the part of the Bills.  They should have squib kicked and then rushed with three guys tops once the Chiefs began the drive.  Pure stupidity.  But then again, so was the defense that KC used when the Bills scored their last TD.

Is there such thing as sound defense any longer ??? Or any defense for that matter.

55 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If they squib kick, Mahomes likely doesn't even get two plays. Also, their defensive effort on the Kelce play was absurd.

The Bills choked. 

Not really, you have to either defend the middle of the field or the deep pass, you can't  cover both. The Bills defended the deep pass and that allowed Kelce to work the middle. The real failure on the Bills part was not tackling rhem immediately.  

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Not really, you have to either defend the middle of the field or the deep pass, you can't  cover both. The Bills defended the deep pass and that allowed Kelce to work the middle. The real failure on the Bills part was not tackling rhem immediately.  

Right, so the Bills blew it. 

That's the point. 

1 minute ago, More Cowbell said:

Obviously the defense failed to put the game away, but the D the played wasn't  rediculous 

Yes, it was. 

First off, they rushed 4 guys, which was completely unnecessary (as Romo pointed out in real time). Secondly, they let Kelce beat them over the middle. Make someone besides Kelce or Hill beat you. 

Also, you are still ignoring the squib kick. You squib there, you almost definitely run off an extra few seconds and win. 

I wonder if the NBA style of defense wouldn't have made sense.  On the snap, just wrap up everyone and draw multiple flags while shutting the play down.  You burn off 3-4 seconds and give up 10 yards, which in that situation, would have been worth it.  Do it twice and now KC is on the 45 with maybe 6 seconds left.

Now this would be absolutely awful for the league and I'm sure the rules committee would shut it down in the offseason, but for that situation in that game...might have been genius.

1 minute ago, Hex said:

Might have missed it, but that Titans loss to the Rams in the SB was pretty brutal

We Remember: 15th Anniversary of Titans Coming Up 1 Yard Short vs. Rams |  Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

This was how close they were to winning their first Super Bowl

Not quite. 

They were down by 7 at that point. The TD and XP would have sent the game into overtime. 

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Yes, it was. 

First off, they rushed 4 guys, which was completely unnecessary (as Romo pointed out in real time). Secondly, they let Kelce beat them over the middle. Make someone besides Kelce or Hill beat you. 

Also, you are still ignoring the squib kick. You squib there, you almost definitely run off an extra few seconds and win. 

I already said in game thread it was dumb not to kick it along the ground. As far as the cover Kelce and Hill goes, easier said than done but Pringle was also catching passes from Mahomes so he could easily have caught the pass. The Bills covered the deep pass as they should. A TD ends the game in regulation.