Offense > Defense

Warfish

8 minutes ago, Cyberjet said:

A good defense isn’t necessarily judged by the final score - good defense scores points and more importantly helps win the battle of field position making an offense’s role easier. Also good defenses and defensive schemes were not seen last night - I don’t care what their ranking was. 

Good Defenses lose to good Offenses.  The NFL wants it that way.

41-38 is better for the league than 9-6 as well.

Be assured, if last night was 9-6, no one thinks it was an epic game today.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, JiFapono said:

I think the emphasis on offense has been obvious for a long time, but the reality is, everyone is riding high off last night's game, but it was not indicative of the weekend, at all.   Teams need balance and defense is still very important. 

4 games played this weekend, 2 were low scoring defensive battles.  San Fran won a playoff Football game without scoring an offensive TD.  The Bengals and Titans scored in the teens.  And the Rams defense completely stymied Brady.  The only reason it was a game is because they kept handing them the ball in the 4th quarter and the Bucs scored 14 pts in the last 3 minutes.  They were stuck on a whopping 13 pts until the Rams started letting them back in the game.  That game was largely a blow out because of the constant pressure Brady was under.

Yes, build an offense, you need to score and it's probably the more consistent way to win but defense is still very important and can win you a game from time to time.

THIS Swipe Up GIF The idea that its just about one thing or another is silly. On offense you need a legit QB, playmakers and a good O-line. On defense you need pass rush, run D and a solid secondary. I would also add that you need creative, smart coaching.  

Its not brain surgery but getting there is very very hard. 

Some of the best teams in the league- The Chiefs are a great example- are also some of the most balanced teams. They have a stud QB with a very solid o-line. They can run the ball. They have playmakers. A smart, creative coach. They have pass rushers and a solid secondary .    

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The counter argument is that if the Chiefs had a pulse in the secondary that game doesn’t end in nearly the sensational fashion it did.  Allen’s two late TDs are on two completely wide open, uncontested throws.  Good on him for making the plays, but those last two minutes are just as much about pathetic defense as it is anything, but that doesn’t move the needle in discussion.

I hope with everything that Wilson turns out to be an elite player.  However, I’d rather build my roster like the Titans and Niners just in case he isn’t.  I’d rather the QB be pretty close to the last piece of the puzzle rather than the 1st.

It's a good point.  However I disagree with what happened.  The Chiefs lost Mathieu to a concussion early in the game.  He is a game changer in the secondary.  There are very few players with his game, instinct and cover ability.   It's hard to replace that kind of talent mid-game.

Defense no matter how good are chasing.  It takes more energy to chase than it does to dictate.  CB's in the NFL have had their best weapon to maintain contact with WR taken away from them.  The ability to feel where they are with their hands while looking back at the QB.  They are at a big disadvantage the longer the game goes on.

These games were outside in the cold under very intense pressure.  Offenses can go hurry up and keep fresh defenders off the fiedl.  It takes energy to focus and it takes more energy to focus and chase.  

The rules offer another great advantage to the O.  Defenders can no longer maintain hand contact.  They have their backs turned away from the QB.  It's practically a set up to either lose the WR, hold him or interfere.  Not to mention with their backs turned if the pass rush losses contain the QB often has wide open spaces to get first downs with their legs.  

Ramsey who is probably a top 3 CB in the league was abused by Evans on a late TD by TB.  It's tough for CB's to have the kind of tools it takes to cover in a long body.  He was right with Evans but the ball was thrown high enough where Ramsey, even in coverage couldn't do a thing about it.   

The WR today are highly skilled.  The QB's are setting up back shoulder throws and PI calls where a perfect throw is no longer needed.  It's simply a different game to defend.  

The best defense is competence in the secondary and a great pass rush.  But even the pass rush needs to be very deep because O's can dictate tempo.  

It just seems like you can get competitive quicker with a real good QB and great athletic talent around him to distribute the ball to.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Good Defenses lose to good Offenses.  The NFL wants it that way.

41-38 is better for the league than 9-6 as well.

Be assured, if last night was 9-6, no one thinks it was an epic game today.

I didn’t think the point was about whether a game was epic or not, but I get your point that most times a high scoring game is in general more exciting than a defensive struggle but you could argue that defensive stops multiple times in less than 2 minutes could generate a lot of excitement.

I still feel  defenses play a huge role and I would argue as important as the offense. Last nights game is a testament to what happens when defenses not only fail but don’t even make contested plays. No great catches just wide open receivers. Almost making routine catches as if in practice. That 13 second drive - KC has 3 timeouts 3 points behind and Buffalo leaves the middle of the field wide open. Mind numbingly awful. 

The SF Green Bay  game was the opposite - the defense bailed out the offenses. 

a one sided game either way is numbing after a while. The uniqueness or the impact of such drives is lost after not one not two but three td drives and a FG in less than 2 minutes. Those drives had the same WTF reaction from people similar to when Seattle threw a a pass against NE on the goal line in the SB.  Epic play but awful 

Last nights game was an anomaly and simply  a poorly played and poorly defensive coached game on both sides.

But then again: “it’s grim times. Be the grim reaper” - genius.