Damien Woody tells JD to step it up

kevinc855

46 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

An upgrade is needed.  But LiL made it sound like it was the key ingredient to playing next weekend, and it's not.  Who is the Rams great TE?  And spending 2 picks on TE is "crazy " with the number of holes this team has. Sign a free agent and draft a TE in round 3 and I'm good.  

Sign a FA and draft a TE as soon as round 2 if needed and we're on the same page. I didn't say they have to be superstars. But high quality, yes. Jets haven't had that for literally years.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please not Cooper.  He is older and is paid a ton. And he whines about not getting the ball and is always dinged up.   When Wilson is maturing, Cooper will be on the downside of his career.  It's a young man's game.

At some point you have to have good players.  Amari Cooper is a good player.  He's 27...

I'm not saying don't draft guys too but we need skill position players. 

• Upvote 1

It seems like the only way to win is to hit on a super fantastic Qb and/or a genius offensive head coach that turns the game in its head. Right now we have neither. 

lafluer seems to be smart, and the jury is out in Zach, but tick tock…

• WTF? 1

2 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

He followed that up with an enormous reach for Zach at 2nd overall in 2021. Sure hope he gets a lot better at his job because thus far he’s been horrendous. 

I think this is the key point.  In retrospect, the call last year was to potentially keep Darnold, or Joe Flacco for that matter, and draft Jamar Chase or Kyle Pitts.

Wilson will be an OK QB, but I don’t think he is in the class of Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Watson and even Herbert for that matter.  All but one of those guys were picked below 2.  Wilson at 2 would appear at this point to be bad value, and an example of what happens when you fixate on a position rather than picking value.  The question is whether the Jets are looking to the same thing this year by focusing on EDGE at 4. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Wit said:

It seems like the only way to win is to hit on a super fantastic Qb and/or a genius offensive head coach that turns the game in its head. Right now we have neither. 

lafluer seems to be smart, and the jury is out in Zach, but tick tock…

Mahomes didn’t even play is rookie year.  Zach flashed. Lafeur looks very promising. 

Tick tock yeah, but the jets are at least trying it the right way rn

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, varjet said:

I think this is the key point.  In retrospect, the call last year was to potentially keep Darnold, or Joe Flacco for that matter, and draft Jamar Chase or Kyle Pitts.

Wilson will be an OK QB, but I don’t think he is in the class of Burrow, Mahomes, Allen, Watson and even Herbert for that matter.  All but one of those guys were picked below 2.  Wilson at 2 would appear at this point to be bad value, and an example of what happens when you fixate on a position rather than picking value.  The question is whether the Jets are looking to the same thing this year by focusing on EDGE at 4. 

How did Mahomes and Allen look their rookie years?  

Cause I know.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

This is his big off-season. I think that this year JD will either cement his place as long term GM of the Jets or it’ll be the beginning of the end for him and he’ll get fired after 2023.

We’ll see - I think Douglas has the goods, but there’s a lot riding on the next 3 months

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yes, I do.

My guess is we'll be up against the cap for the first time in a long time.

And yes, I think he'll trade picks if the right player is there.  Guy like Amari Cooper seems like the most likely to me...we have picks and can afford to take the cap hit.

We'll still be playing lots of rookies again next year - but that needs to be supplemented with veteran talent.

JJ would have to give a ton to make this happen.  Cooper was inconsistent in Oakland and played better but still never was that good in Dallas.  I'd prefer Ridley fwiw.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Using the draft as your primary source of building the team is all fine and good. But you can’t solely rely upon it. The Rams haven’t had a 1st round pick since they took Jared Goff and they’re getting by just fine.

The Rams were loaded with talent and used those trades to get to a win now stage.

‘We’re not there 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Wydemyer and McBride will be gone by then. Ruckert is okay.

I'm convinced McBride doesn't even make it to the 2nd. Unfortunately,  barring a trade down I think it's highly unlikely the Jets end up with him..

I think he's the type of guy that can really change this offense.

55 minutes ago, Phillyjet said:

only problem with Woody's take is that the Bills only picked up Stefon Diggs.  The rest are. home-grown.  

Not true.

WRs they drafted: Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox

WRs they brought in: Diggs, Emmanuel Sanders, Cole Beasley, etc. and that’s this year, they used FA snd trades to assemble a different combination of WRs each year. 

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Burrow was picked 1st overall.  
When you have the 2nd pick nd use it on an QB, most of you comparisons will be after 2nd.  So big deal, you rattled off 5 QBs all somewhere in the top 10.  
‘The idea that they fixated at QB with the second over a TE or a WR is comical

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Jetscode1 said:

JJ would have to give a ton to make this happen.  Cooper was inconsistent in Oakland and played better but still never was that good in Dallas.  I'd prefer Ridley fwiw.

Inconsistent = 2200 yards his first two seasons and 700 when he was injured 4 games

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Warfish said:

4 picks in the top 40 and amongst the most available cap space in the NFL is, IMO, actually a pretty descent amount of chips.

Since he went all-in on Wilson, he should really go all-in now on supporting Wilson.  And I say that as a Wilson-doubter.

Yeah, but as far as Douglas is concerned, you can wrap all of those assets up in a little ball and flush them down the toilet if Wilson doesn’t look exponentially better by about mid season next year. Even if we presume Douglas hits a homer on all those top-40 picks this year, we’ve seen a lot of very talented teams get sunk by logjamming a middling QB onto the field every week, and there won’t be a Wilson alternative other than Flacco on the roster next year. Thus, he’s all in.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I couldn't disagree with this more...

1st - Wilson is a high end prospect - his talent and skill-set are elite.  He either becomes a top 10 QB or he busts...I don't think there's an in-between for him.  We really don't know which one it'll be yet.

2nd - The value for him and a QB at #2 overall was clearly there.  It's EXACTLY what you're looking for.  Someone with an elite skill-set that you hope can translate that to an elite NFL QB.

Zach was clearly a raw talent, had a rough rookie year but the jury is still out on him - but the value, imo, was CLEARLY there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

19 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Bwcausss it’s a stupid ******* thing to say 

it’s not a pee wee football team

its about winning footballl games 

Wouldn't winning more games in 2022 constitute "getting better?"   Or are you one of those "mandate" guys?  Playoffs or we slide down the hill and start over with a new GM and HC?  That's a winning formula.  Change it all up every 2-3 years.  

7 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

Douglas is not going to take a flyer on next season. He’s going to utilize his resources and bring in veteran talent, and I also don’t see him trading down for future draft picks.

That being said, the hole he put this team in from the 2020 draft is going to be tough to overcome. We got nothing from an entire draft other than a solid cornerback. He followed that up with an enormous reach for Zach at 2nd overall in 2021. Sure hope he gets a lot better at his job because thus far he’s been horrendous. 

Who should we have drafted?

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, but as far as Douglas is concerned, you can wrap all of those assets up in a little ball and flush them down the toilet if Wilson doesn’t look exponentially better by about mid season next year. Even if we presume Douglas hits a homer on all those top-40 picks this year, we’ve seen a lot of very talented teams get sunk by logjamming a middling QB onto the field every week, and there won’t be a Wilson alternative other than Flacco on the roster next year. Thus, he’s all in.

Holy hyperbole! 

The jets have to show progress and win 8 games next year, not the Super Bowl. Plenty of “middling” QBs have done that. If Wilson is better than middling, the Jets can contend for a playoff spot in 2023, or possibly even next season, if Douglas has a huge offseason. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Who should we have drafted?

In 2020 Wirfs.

in 2021, I wanted Chase, Pitts or Sewell, or the trade down package Miami got from the 49ers. I don’t know if Zach would succeed anywhere but our organization in particular just wasn’t in a position to take a young, undeveloped QB.

For the record, I really like Zach, he’s a great kid and I usually find myself defending him (or at least his character and work ethic) in the Jets Facebook groups. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Phillyjet said:

only problem with Woody's take is that the Bills only picked up Stefon Diggs.  The rest are. home-grown.  

Home grown but were not particularly round picks (except Allen). I think their offense only has one 2nd-round draft pick in there. Well Morse was a 2nd rounder of KC’s; they let him go in FA and have been going to SBs ever since putting that $ elsewhere.

OL: 

1. LT: very bottom of round 2 (#63, 2017)
  2. LG: cheap FA (<$5MM); he got injured, and replaced by $2MM RFA.
  3. C : moderate-expense FA top 5-10 position $ but at a low-$ position (just like the Jets did)
  4. RG: mid-level FA (former RT moved to RG this year)
  5. RT: bottom of round 3 (#93, 2021)

WR:

1. Diggs: traded a 1st round pick #22 for him (and extended him with a big deal)
  2. Beasley: FA at sub-Crowder dollars (well, until Crowder’s pay cut ultimatum)
  3. Davis: 2020 round 4 (#128, 2020)
  4. E.Sanders: FA at sub-Cole dollars

TE/RB:

1. RB mid-round 3 (#74, 2019); almost identical touches, total yards, and TDs in his rookie season compared to MC1 (and similar size)
  2. TE bottom of round 3 (#96, 2019)

Sum total via draft pick investment:

1. Round 1: QB (6), WR1 (22)
  2. Round 2: LT (63)
  3. Round 3: RT (93), RB (74), TE (95)
  4. Round 4: WR2/3 (128)

Also note the tackles were drafted 4 years apart; hardly back-to-back-to-back upper 1st round picks.

• Upvote 1