Anyone live in or near Asheville NC

CSNY

Hello all After over 63 years of living in NYC will be moving to or around the greater Asheville NC area with the next 12 months as daughter is getting married and her and her fiancé love this area to raise a family. My question is Has anyone lived or is living in this area and if so can you recommend any specific areas in which to relocate to and are there any NY Jet specific bars in the area. 

Thank you all for any information and recommendations 
Mods please move to relevant forum if need be 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, CSNY said:

Hello all After over 63 years of living in NYC will be moving to or around the greater Asheville NC area with the next 12 months as daughter is getting married and her and her fiancé love this area to raise a family. My question is Has anyone lived or is living in this area and if so can you recommend any specific areas in which to relocate to and are there any NY Jet specific bars in the area. 

I live in Charlotte…. I go to Asheville occasionally for a weekend.   Gotten VERY expensive. It’s very WOKE.  Outside the city, lots of nice suburbs. Wish I could say more but that’s all I know.  Jets bars in Asheville??? Good Luck.  

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Know what I would do?  Sign up one the main Carolina Panthers fan forums and ask the same question you asked here.  If you do so in a very polite and respectful way I bet you will get lots of good advice if no one else on here has info.

Thank you very good suggestion Beer 

16 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I live in Charlotte…. I go to Asheville occasionally for a weekend.   Gotten VERY expensive. It’s very WOKE.  Outside the city, lots of nice suburbs. Wish I could say more but that’s all I know.  Jets bars in Asheville??? Good Luck.  

Yep

My Aunt lived there and we used to visit every summer back in the 70’s (grew up in Hampton Roads)

Beautiful place at the time…now it’s filled to the brim with goofy hipsters as far as the eye can see.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, BurntDice said:

I live in Greenville nc which is an hour east of Raleigh. It’s much cheaper than Asheville and closer to the beach. 

I’ve never been to Asheville but I heard it has a ton of really good breweries if you like craft beer. 

Thank you Burnt. Yes my daughter and fiancé are in the craft brewery industry which is what drew them there in the first place. After a number of visits they decided that is where they want to live 

Thank you 

• Upvote 3

Went there a couple months ago, wasnt impressed with the actual city of Asheville (saw a homeless guy take a dump behind the bus stop) but the surrounding areas seemed nice. A lot of breweries and a handful bar restaurants. 

Breakfast was impossible,  no reservations allowed and easily an hour wait.  

Asheville was a good ole hippie town for many years. I been there a couple of times. Haven't been there in at least 12 years. 

I recall a good French Bistro and a pretty large beer bar. Beautiful region, but I don't think there's an NYC bar. But who knows.

33 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I drove from Jersey to Georgia back in November and stayed in Asheville one night. Lol at WOKE, so true. EVERYBODY was wearing masks EVERYWHERE back in early November.  When I get to Georgia it was back to normal (no masks). We were thinking of walking to some craft beer bars from our hotel, and after talking to somebody that lives there we thought twice about it and got a ride. People were getting shot around downtown.

The bars were nice and so were the people. It was just one night.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, rldev said:

Asheville was a good ole hippie town for many years. I been there a couple of times. Haven't been there in at least 12 years. 

I recall a good French Bistro and a pretty large beer bar. Beautiful region, but I don't think there's an NYC bar. But who knows.

I go twice a year or so…..   well before Covid that is , 3 day weekend etc.   LOTS of kool shlt.   However, the last 2 years have changed the city. VERY much like Seattle and Portland now.   

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Went there a couple months ago, wasnt impressed with the actual city of Asheville (saw a homeless guy take a dump behind the bus stop) but the surrounding areas seemed nice. A lot of breweries and a handful bar restaurants. 

Breakfast was impossible,  no reservations allowed and easily an hour wait.  

Im sorry, i tried to crouch low.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Thank you Burnt. Yes my daughter and fiancé are in the craft brewery industry which is what drew them there in the first place. After a number of visits they decided that is where they want to live 

Thank you 

That’s cool I’m thinking about taking a trip out there in the next few years to try a bunch of different beers. If they are in that industry then Asheville sounds like a great fit for them 

2 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

That’s cool I’m thinking about taking a trip out there in the next few years to try a bunch of different beers. If they are in that industry then Asheville sounds like a great fit for them 

Have you been to Wilmington???  Lots of beer there now as well. Charlotte is EXPLODING with craft beer.  

• Upvote 1

i lived in asheville for 6 years. i moved to hendersonville 2 years ago (about 25 minutes south). due to work. asheville is great but its very woke like the above person said and liberal not that theres anything wrong with that. great music great food great breweries. traffic is horrible tho. hendersonville, flat rock, fletcher are all close by towns that are smaller, more conservative and have great schools and places to eat/drink.  cheers and let me know if you want any more info

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

i lived in asheville for 6 years. i moved to hendersonville 2 years ago (about 25 minutes south). due to work. asheville is great but its very woke like the above person said and liberal not that theres anything wrong with that. great music great food great breweries. traffic is horrible tho. hendersonville, flat rock, fletcher are all close by towns that are smaller, more conservative and have great schools and places to eat/drink.  cheers and let me know if you want any more info

Agreed.   If it were me…..id look at Hendersonville.  Good post! 

• Upvote 1

I've never been to Asheville, but I spent one disgusting night in Asheboro, NC.

On my way to Pinehurst for a golf weekend with some old Army buddies.  I stopped at the Econolodge right off the highway for a last second sleep.  There were water stains on the walls and ceiling and the smoke detector was beeping every 30 seconds.  When I called the front desk they were annoyed that the beeping would somehow be making me unsatisfied with the room. 

She didn't have more batteries so I just removed the whole thing.

I took a trip "downtown" for some dinner.  There were people riding in the back of pickup trucks with their groceries.  I'm not Sar, and I've ridden in the back of a pickup truck (1980's), but it was pretty surprising to see in 2018.  Needless to say, I slept on top of the blanket over the bath towels fully clothed and ready to roll.   

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Have you been to Wilmington???  Lots of beer there now as well. Charlotte is EXPLODING with craft beer.  

I went to Wilmington this summer. It was really nice. A bit overcrowded but meh. I went to Watermans brewery which was decent. It was across from sweet and savory cafe and wow that was a great breakfast. I’ll probably go back next year and check out a few more 

7 minutes ago, CotcheryifyouCan said:

Thank you Cotchery. Very informative and will take you up on your offer of more information 

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I went to Wilmington this summer. It was really nice. A bit overcrowded but meh. I went to Watermans brewery which was decent. It was across from sweet and savory cafe and wow that was a great breakfast. I’ll probably go back next year and check out a few more 

I have a condo in Carolina beach, 10 miles south  Im there every 5 weeks or so.   I like the beach vibe on occasion.  

2 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I have a condo in Carolina beach.   Im there every 5 weeks or so.   I like the beach vibe on occasion.  

That’s cool yea it’s nice to get away. I’m only like an hour and a half from the Carolina beaches. Just moved here recently so still trying to find the best ones. I’ve been told to check out Atlantic and wrightsville 

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

I live there currently (well, Candler- on the West side) and have for a few years. This is not a sports town, so forget Jets bars. 

Honestly, Asheville is overrated. It’s very expensive without any of the benefits of living in an expensive place. People here are laaaaazy like I’ve never seen. Food is mediocre at best, beer is mostly good but there’s too many damn breweries causing tons of drink driving. The people suck for the most part— either sh*tty rich yuppies or sh*tty Christian hypocrites. This town has long been a hippy mountain town but it’s not really even that anymore since it’s been commercialized so much. Even the music scene is bland. If you can avoid people, Asheville can be great. I try to avoid people as much as I can and I make it work, but then again I don’t get along with most people. 

It’s beautiful in the spring and fall, but summer and and winter kind of suck. It rains all the time in summer (it’s a rain forest), and it’s very grey in winter although the weather in the winter is fairly mild. If you like to do anything outdoors, this is an awesome place to be, but you will pay for it out the ass and most of the time it ain’t worth it.

I would advise looking in the surrounding areas outside of the City of Asheville. Real estate is going berserk here so I expect your dollar doesn’t go very far. 

Feel free to PM me if you have anything specific you’d like to know. 

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Not on point but the first concert I ever went to was CSN&Y. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Know what I would do?  Sign up one the main Carolina Panthers fan forums and ask the same question you asked here.  If you do so in a very polite and respectful way I bet you will get lots of good advice if no one else on here has info.

This guy might have his home on the market in 12 months.

North Carolina Reaction GIF by Carolina Panthers

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

That is good advice.  Just tread lightly, they may be pissed at us because of the Darnold trade.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I've never been to Asheville, but I spent one disgusting night in Asheboro, NC.

On my way to Pinehurst for a golf weekend with some old Army buddies.  I stopped at the Econolodge right off the highway for a last second sleep.  There were water stains on the walls and ceiling and the smoke detector was beeping every 30 seconds.  When I called the front desk they were annoyed that the beeping would somehow be making me unsatisfied with the room. 

She didn't have more batteries so I just removed the whole thing.

I took a trip "downtown" for some dinner.  There were people riding in the back of pickup trucks with their groceries.  I'm not Sar, and I've ridden in the back of a pickup truck (1980's), but it was pretty surprising to see in 2018.  Needless to say, I slept on top of the blanket over the bath towels fully clothed and ready to roll.   

And Asheboro is bigger then the town I live in lol...  Good thing about Asheboro, they built the bypass around it.

• Haha 1

I've always been told that I needed to go to Asheville after moving to NC. After reading most of the posts, I think I'll pass lol...  I don't need anything to remind me how much I loved Portland and Seattle as places to visit before the WOKE revolution.

• Upvote 1

Good luck!  You will love it. 

I’ve lived in Raleigh and SC.  The boarder area of the two states in that general area had like 30+ hikes we’d go on.  You might see one or two people through a beautiful forest and trail and end the hike at a waterfall and many you can sit and chill in the pool of.  Good depth for kids to swim in.  Mild hikes that were perfect.  The outdoor recreation is amazing.  

When the leaves change those breweries will do some crazy business lol.

I visited the Asheville area a few times but can’t give the local info.  

2 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

This. I live in Raleigh and go there often and ya. Not sure about jets bars though