Connor McGovern decision will be very telling

2 hours ago, slats said:

He would get tagged as an offensive lineman, not as strictly a center, and, as a result, would probably wind up getting the average of the top five paid LTs in the league. Or roughly $16.5M for the year. No one’s paying him that. 

I doubt he’s going anywhere this year, and the Jets would probably be wise to start talking extension now. If he gets another good guard on the other side of him this year, he’ll look even better. 

I didn’t know that and boy they need to fix that rule. Last year’s tag looks like it was $13.7M though, so it’s not dramatically more than his current contract. But I’m sure it’ll go up and good to know.

I still think it’d be smarter to draft and replace than extend though. If they can find someone they like day three.

Every single team in the NFL, from the best teams to the worst, have guys like McGovern with salaries like his.  He’s not elite, he’s not bad.  He’s fine.  Could you upgrade from him?  Sure.  Should you?  Debatable.  You can win with guys like McGovern being starters on your team making 10 mil per year.  You are usually in trouble though if he’s one of your 10 best players or so.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Connor finished ranked 10th in centers in the league.  He is a good player and can very easily  be part of a winning/playoff caliber online. And we have him in the fold. 

BUT he is due to count $10+ MM to the cap. How does Douglas handle this? 

min my opinion we have had a bad habit of letting good productive  players walk thinking they are easily replaceable.  Many of them have been JAGs so they haven’t been terrible decisions but at a certain point, you have to keep your good players even if it means  paying a little more.  You have a top 10 C and good football player on the team.  Doses Douglas play fantasy metrics and negotiate him out of here or does he perhaps lay a bit of a cap premium this year to ensure this good player stays in the roster?

He's not going to cut him and he's not going to negotiate a paycut, so I'm not sure what the question is here

1 hour ago, Gangrene said:

Put Ekwonu at right tackle for one year. Have Fant back up at left tackle until Mekhi Becton's next visit to the IR.

I know...people hate the idea of drafting another tackle on a team with no defense, constantly injured wide receivers and no legitimate TE.  I'd still draft  Ekwonu at four.

No, you play Ekwonu at RG, Fant at LT, and Becton at RT, then assess where everyone is at after the season

imo they should keep mcgovern at least until such a time that he gets beaten out.  there's a lot to be said for keeping an oline intact.  they already have issues with finding out if becton will return and play like he's capable and then they still have to fill the rg spot assuming tardiff is offered a deal or desires to go elsewhere.  same thing with moses.  right now there are quite a few scenarios being played out.  nothing will solidify until we get closer to the draft, especially after we see where free agency is heading.

58 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

No, you play Ekwonu at RG, Fant at LT, and Becton at RT, then assess where everyone is at after the season

if they all stay healthy...yes.

Without quality dept on this online I cant see Zach Wilson remaining upright and healthy through the season ahead.

I don't think the plan was to be talking about extending McGovern and Fant.   I think they were supposed to be bridges to "building an OL through the draft."   Although JD took 2 first round OLs in 2020 and 2021, that was basically it.  So there are not lower round players at RT, RG and C who can step in.  So JD basically has to pay up for his original, and actually successful, FA signings to maintain continuity.

But as I have also said in other posts, JD needs to be extending his good OL so he can draft the other positions of need.   It is highly likely that the strong BPA at 4 is OL.  That is ok, but then focus on drafting other position groups this year.  

McGovern is a better value to extend, because Fant's Franchise Tag is closer to LT value.  

But something tells me that JD will not lock down CM and Fant and will instead ride out the last year of their contracts.  

we keep him. that its.

and you keep him at center. thats the position he played well with this year, you dont change that.

sorry Linderbaum cult. hes not coming here. it would be beyond stupid for JD to use a top pick on a position we already have a guy playing well.

you guys better start picking someone else in your mock drafts. might i suggest a WR.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, AlexVanDyke said:

Connor finished ranked 10th in centers in the league.  He is a good player and can very easily  be part of a winning/playoff caliber online. And we have him in the fold. 

BUT he is due to count $10+ MM to the cap. How does Douglas handle this? 

min my opinion we have had a bad habit of letting good productive  players walk thinking they are easily replaceable.  Many of them have been JAGs so they haven’t been terrible decisions but at a certain point, you have to keep your good players even if it means  paying a little more.  You have a top 10 C and good football player on the team.  Doses Douglas play fantasy metrics and negotiate him out of here or does he perhaps lay a bit of a cap premium this year to ensure this good player stays in the roster?

Situations like this are better than a starter on the roster you know you need to replace like our starting TE. For C he is under contract and you should be able to make the decision you are discussing after the draft. If in the draft you get the top ranked Center and decide to go with him as the starter you just keep a backup Center on the team and either cut, trade, or start McGovern at LG. You'd have plenty of options. If we get a top Center in the draft that would allow us to keep the inside Oline string overall and allow us to focus on just mainly filling 1 starting OT spot.  

8 hours ago, Sonny Werblin said:

How McGovern is ranked by others is meaningless. There are only two evaluations of McGovern that matters. How does the coaching staff view his contributions on the field and in the locker room?  How does JD rate him in comparison to a drafted replacement? 

Completely agree. But Jets are making an important transition this year. If you don’t draft an instant starter, keep a good vet. Don’t want to be always starting from scratch. Not every hi pick is AVT. Some are Becton. 
Not actually picking on Becton  He may blossom. But I don’t want our QB clobbered while he does figure it out. 
Keep McGovern