What’s with the national media “feeling sorry” for Buffalo?

Jetlife33

2 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I don't understand the outrage over the coin flip thing in OT.  The idea behind giving both teams a possession was only to prevent a team from winning the toss and driving down the field long enough to kick a game winning FG without the other team getting a chance.  As someone else said, nobody complained when the Pats beat the Falcons in OT.

If they want to go to "each team gets an equal number of possessions in OT", I guess I'd be fine with that.  But hopefully they don't over complicate things.   The rules are already complicated enough.  

+1

Say they got 3 possessions each under some new OT rule. One team scores a TD on its opening drive and holds the other team to a punt on both of its first 2 drives in a row. In an overtime period, why should one team get 3 chances to catch up? They already played regulation, plus maybe when they do tie it up on the 3rd possession of OT it was because, as these teams get so exhausted, the first team sustained a key injury or two that wouldn't have happened if there weren't this many extra possessions each.

I'm not in favor of it. Honestly I like the system they have, flawed as it is. They made a good-faith effort to eliminate a decent but not great KOR, plus a single first down, putting the coin-toss winner into FG range to end the game. You want to end it after 1 possession? Score a TD or the other team gets a chance. Likewise, the coin-toss loser has to merely not give up a TD instantly. It's a team sport not an offense-only sport, even if the late-game Ds in that one matchup made it seem otherwise.

If the refs called some holding plays when they occurred then they wouldn't have snipped both defenses' balls off, and there'd be less whining over the coin toss.

5 hours ago, playtowinthegame said:

Bottom of the food chain beat the Bengals who are in the Conference Championship game. Bottom of the food chain almost beat the GOATS Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bottom of the food chain was trailing the Bills 13-10 in week 18 in Buffalo entering the 4th quarter with practice squad weapons. Bottom of the food chain (4th overall pick) has their GM and HC returning and at the Senior Bowl along with the Lions (2nd overall pick) instead of the Jaguars (1st overall pick) and Texans (3rd overall pick) who each fired their head coach after 1 season.

Bottom of the food chain has won 6 games in two seasons.

If you’re trying to convince me bringing back the same people who accomplished that is a positive, I’m sorry. It didn’t work. 

On 1/25/2022 at 2:21 PM, Jetlife33 said:

Did you always feel the coin flip was somewhat unfair or was it just the context of this game that made you think that?  just curious. 

It's unfair that one offense can touch the ball and end the game. Football is both an offensive and defensive game so letting a game end like that is cutting out half of the game for each time. It's the rule and teams have a hand in crafting the rule so it's not exactly forced on them.

I’m in the small minority that feel this was not a great football game. Entertaining sure but got borderline ridiculous at the end where a “drive” became farcical and lost any sense of game tension. IMO it was a poorly played and coached defensive game on both sides. Never in my life did I see so many wide open receivers and uncontested catches. Preseason defense was more competitive 

Both teams defenses and defensive coordinators need to be called out, particularly that 13 second drive. KC with 3 timeouts and Buffalo leaves the middle of the field wide open and WRs/TEs uncontested. Mind boggling 

I’m sick of these pundits yucking it up - it’s all glam to them, NBA style fawning rather than calling people out for bad football. 

But then you can’t criticize the defenses because that will cheapen the narrative of Allen and Mahomes “superhuman” performances

i feel bad for the fans - not the team

On 1/25/2022 at 8:52 AM, Jetlife33 said:

You are correct. I should’ve said in a game where his team choked. People want McCarthy to get fired in Dallas. This game? People want the OT rules changed because Allen didn’t get to touch the ball. I just find it odd. 

It's the playoffs. The OT rules are completely bizarre and lame. So if KC scores a TD game over but FG and Allen gets a chance. It's dumb on like a zillion levels

12 hours ago, johnnysd said:

It's the playoffs. The OT rules are completely bizarre and lame. So if KC scores a TD game over but FG and Allen gets a chance. It's dumb on like a zillion levels

Never really heard people complain about it before this game. Pats Falcons super bowl nobody cared