What’s with the national media “feeling sorry” for Buffalo?

Jetlife33

I know we don’t care about Dallas and most fans hate them, but last week they choked the last 14 or however many seconds of a game and they’re still getting crucified and laughed at.  Meanwhile the bills do it in even worse fashion and get sympathy across the board. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Allen didn't choke. He played one of the best games of any QB in recent memory.

It's clearly a bad beat for the Bills - why is it so bad to say that?

You are correct. I should’ve said in a game where his team choked. People want McCarthy to get fired in Dallas. This game? People want the OT rules changed because Allen didn’t get to touch the ball. I just find it odd. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

You are correct. I should’ve said in a game where his team choked. People want McCarthy to get fired in Dallas. This game? People want the OT rules changed because Allen didn’t get to touch the ball. I just find it odd. 

Well, the Cowboys were home, favorited, clearly the more talented team, and called a QB sneak with what, 14 seconds left and no timeouts?

The Bills, sure, in hindsight, they shouldn't have kicked a touchback on that last kickoff in regulation time. A mistake for sure.

But it still took some unbelievable magic to beat them.

The Cowboys got beatup that whole game, were lucky that Jimmy G gave them two fourth quarter chances to come back and that sneak call was a far more horrendous decision than the Bills decision to kick it deep - at least in my opinion. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

The Bills, sure, in hindsight, they shouldn't have kicked a touchback on that last kickoff in regulation time. A mistake for sure.

Not just in hindsight. Everyone I was watching the game with was screaming it at the TV and Romo questioned it in real time. That was a brutal decision. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I don’t have an exact clip I can post here, but being home these last few days I’ve gotten to watch a lot of media coverage of this past weekends games which I normally don’t get to do. Between people feeling sorry because Buffalo played great and lost or because Josh Allen didn’t get to touch the ball because of the OT rules, etc. list goes on and on. Stephen a smith anointing  Allen “the next Brady” in a game he choked and lost is insane. They literally choked away an AFC championship game appearance with 13 seconds left on the clock. The jets would be crucified, made fun of and and the fans would go through hell because of it. Instead buffalo is getting lauded and sympathized with.  I know it doesn’t make a difference to us either way but what gives? 

I agree with most of this. Allen probably didnt choke but if this were the Jets you better believe the angle would be that Wilson and the Jets choked and they are a laughing stock. For those that dont think having your own stadium/ home field is an advantage, I would guess that the national media and most Bills fans (and non Bills) fans like/love the Bills because they have a small town feel, play outdoors and have a tremendous "our house" mentality because of their stadium.  

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I don’t have an exact clip I can post here, but being home these last few days I’ve gotten to watch a lot of media coverage of this past weekends games which I normally don’t get to do. Between people feeling sorry because Buffalo played great and lost or because Josh Allen didn’t get to touch the ball because of the OT rules, etc. list goes on and on. Stephen a smith anointing  Allen “the next Brady” in a game he choked and lost is insane. They literally choked away an AFC championship game appearance with 13 seconds left on the clock. The jets would be crucified, made fun of and and the fans would go through hell because of it. Instead buffalo is getting lauded and sympathized with.  I know it doesn’t make a difference to us either way but what gives? 

Wait, are you saying that Allen Choked?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Wait, are you saying that Allen Choked?

No, he couldn’t have played any better. But the team obviously choked. Special teams and defense. But the narrative is poor Buffalo and they were robbed because of OT rules. Could you imagine if the jets did what Buffalo just did? It’d just be the next jets blunder. Buffalo, with a worse history than the jets is getting lauded for a playoff choke job. Heck, change the OT rules now because of it! 

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I stopped reading when you said Allen choked.

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Bills are "loveable losers"

Their organization and fans got a lot of sympathy after "wide right" and 4 straight SB losses. 

People also love Allen. Great player, wholesome image, good story. 

I think this right here.  If they run off a bunch of SBs folks will start to despise them but for right now, like you said, loveable losers, jumping off Porto-Johns onto platic folding tables, living in that region, the Bills mafia.

It's cute.  For now.  

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

No, he couldn’t have played any better. But the team obviously choked. Special teams and defense. But the narrative is poor Buffalo and they were robbed because of OT rules. Could you imagine if the jets did what Buffalo just did? It’d just be the next jets blunder. Buffalo, with a worse history than the jets is getting lauded for a playoff choke job. Heck, change the OT rules now because of it! 

Thanks. I must have totally misread that.

3 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

I stopped reading when you said Allen choked.

Rightfully so, I meant to say the team/they. Said it a few times now. Unless you don’t think the team choked either and were robbed. He did choke the coin toss, Allen should’ve called heads obviously. 
I feel the need to say that was sarcasm. 

I think its mostly because of how well of a game JA played. For the most part, seems like he's a fan favorite if you like the bills or not. If JA didn't play as well as he did, I think there would be more talk of the bills playcalling during those last 13 seconds of regulation. No matter how you swing it, the playcalling of the kick off and the 2 plays leading up to the game tying FG were horrible. 

Just now, extmenace said:

I think its mostly because of how well of a game JA played. For the most part, seems like he's a fan favorite if you like the bills or not. If JA didn't play as well as he did, I think there would be more talk of the bills playcalling during those last 13 seconds of regulation. No matter how you swing it, the playcalling of the kick off and the 2 plays leading up to the game tying FG were horrible. 

Agreed, and at the same time Mahomes out played him yet you’re hearing more about Allen. Is it because Mahomes has been to 4 straight AFCCG and they wanted the underdog? They never pulled that with Brady being there all those years. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Totally agree with you.

The reality is in sports there are "good guys" and "bad guys" within the media narrative.

Buffalo is a good guy. Best fans, cursed, tough blue collar city, etc. When they're bad they're pitied and when they're good they're lauded.

The Jets, even though we suck, are bad guys. When we suck we're mocked and when we're good (if that ever happens) people wait to tear us down when we fail.

• Upvote 3