What’s with the national media “feeling sorry” for Buffalo?

Jetlife33

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I’ll add one other thing that I think is a bit off in the National narrative with Buffalo.  Everyone is all on board with them being a perennial powerhouse moving forward.  That’s mostly based off Allen, and no disputing he’s worthy of that praise.

That said, this was basically their last chance at a season where his contract wasn’t a major factor.  Add in that Diggs contract basically triples the next two years from what it was this year, they are going to have some serious roster makeover. They have drafted well, but not great, and don’t have a lot of money available without cutting ties with some key contributors.  They should be able to keep the roster pretty close to the same next year, but there some large change coming within the next year or 2.

And in all likelihood they're losing both coordinators to HC jobs.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

We’re at the bottom of the food chain. No other fans care how we feel about their team. We’re totally irrelevant.

That’s what you should feel bad about.

Bottom of the food chain beat the Bengals who are in the Conference Championship game. Bottom of the food chain almost beat the GOATS Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Bottom of the food chain was trailing the Bills 13-10 in week 18 in Buffalo entering the 4th quarter with practice squad weapons. Bottom of the food chain (4th overall pick) has their GM and HC returning and at the Senior Bowl along with the Lions (2nd overall pick) instead of the Jaguars (1st overall pick) and Texans (3rd overall pick) who each fired their head coach after 1 season.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

To put it simply: The Bills lost 4 straight SBs, and now have lost to the Chiefs twice in a row. If they had beaten the Chiefs they probably would have won their first SB, and they were so close. I bet most of us here feel at least a little sorry for them

1 minute ago, Hex said:

To put it simply: The Bills lost 4 straight SBs, and now have lost to the Chiefs twice in a row. If they had beaten the Chiefs they probably would have won their first SB, and they were so close. I bet most of us here feel at least a little sorry for them

I can honestly say I do not. They would not feel sorry for us, that I can guarantee. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I can honestly say I do not. They would not feel sorry for us, that I can guarantee. 

You make a good point there. I just feel like Buffalo gave their all even more than any other team but still got stopped by the Chiefs. 

I don't think it's the Bills they're feeling bad for, its Allen. What he did was incredible, especially to do it in a place like Arrowhead. To have 9 TDs, 12 incompletions and a 140 something passer rating across 2 games in the playoffs and still be dumped out of super bowl contention is pretty insane.

I think part of it is because so many people have doubted him since he was drafted. Even Nick Wright who has laughed at Allen his entire career had to admit he was terrified as a fan on Sunday watching Allen convert 3rd down and 4th downs over and over again.

Plus the media loves a good narrative and their new one is the Mahomes/Allen rivalry. If Burrows does something similar or even beats Mahomes they'll move on to a new rivalry with those two.

46 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I do not remember the jets being loved nationally under Rex those years. They were just waiting on his downfall. Once he did and we weren’t winning we were crowned the circus. Buffalo gets pity when they suck lol 

You don’t remember all the coverage at 1JD?  Sal Pal camped out at Jet camp.  No one was just waiting for our downfall.  Buffalo was ridiculed over the QBs they drafted etc.  

Hell most of these same groups of talking heads who getting plenty of show material saying dumb things like they lost on a coin flip as the best team have said good things about JD Saleh and the young talent here.  

We imagine what we want to support the poor old Jets everyone hates us narrative. 

7 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Totally.

I've said this before -- you can't be a "lovable loser" when you're a NY team. You're just a loser.

The Mets have been the definition of lovable losers

if you leave NY most of the hate is attributed to people thinking NY teams get too much credit and air time.  

20 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

I mean what?

Even I can call bull sh*t on this. It's nonsense . I agree with what Allen said, if it had been the bills who won the toss and won the game they'd be celebrating and shouting 'those are the rules, we won fair and square'.

There are certain losses where you can complain about the refs making a bad call or of something else being unfair. There's nothing to complain about here other than the bad job the coaches made on STs and defense. 

• Post of the Week 2

Don't forget....it was the Bills who gave the Chiefs Mahomes.

Bills traded back with the Chiefs in 2017 to allow them to move up to 10 and pick up Mahomes.

The trade compensation they got was not used in their move up to get Allen a year later.

While I'm sure they're happy with Allen, there's something to be said about being eliminated two years in a row by the QB you could have had, or at the very least could have prevented the Chiefs from having.

• Upvote 2

That was a great game.  Both teams put on a show.  The intensity and quality of play was fantastic.  It wasn't a missed FG or a bad play.  It might have been a case of poor clock management on the margin?  Hard to know with 3 timeouts if a second would have mattered?  If you can't respect the team after leaving it all on the field what's the point of being a football fan.  

The were an away dog and the put everything they had on the field.  That's all anyone can ask and it's why were fans.  

I don't feel bad for them but I certainly respect the game they played.  

As far as if it were the Jets double standard narrative, total BS.  It wasn't the Jets and if it was I woudl be thrilled to have a team like that and play like that on the road.   I would have been upset but it wouldn't have been because the Jets were an unwatchable pile.  If Douglas and Saleh put together a team that could play that game and Zach is a QB who can go head to head with Mahomes down the stretch the narative isn't same old Jets.

Both QBs played amazing.  Nothing wrong with feeling bad for Allen in that context.

But here's a fun fact I didn't know until I looked:  Mahomes outrushed Allen by 1 yard.  69 vs. 68.  He also got 1 TD rushing (Allen didn't need to because Davis was apparently wearing camoflauge on his uniform).  So while everyone is lamenting Allen's misfortune, it's okay to acknowledge that Mahomes matched him in every measurable way that game.  

Wiley comes across like a tool.  His bitter tears will be the flavor of the day until someone else steps up and says something even dumber.

Given how the last couple minutes of regulation turned out the game was probably decided at the coin flip because either team was likely to score a TD if they got the ball. That's not really the way you want any game decided but especially not a playoff. It is somewhat unfair to have the game come down to a coin flip but I only feel so bad for a division rival. 

12 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The Mets have been the definition of lovable losers

Perhaps that how New Yorkers feel about the Mets.

The rest of us just hate them.  And the Yankees too.  

Few folks outside of New York think "lovable" when we're thinking about New York or New York Sports Teams.

To be quite honest, for many Americans, New Yorkers just aren't very likeable.  And neither are their sports teams.

I believe this is the point in this old chestnut where one of our resident New Yorker/Ex-New Yorkers will say "they're just dumb jealous rednecks because we're the greatest city with the greatest stuff and the greatest people in the world", lol.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

The narrative that media loves to toss out is that these two great qbs will be dueling it out for the chance to go to the super bowl for years.

Loses like the Bills just had should be terrible and heart breaking because in reality you never know if you actually will get another chance.

Ask guys like Marino and Fouts...oh thy will get there or get back for sure they are too good......nope.

Fouts never even got there.  Didn't exactly help that he played in that "Freezer Bowl" game in Cincy.  Not ideal conditions for a passing offense.

I don't understand the outrage over the coin flip thing in OT.  The idea behind giving both teams a possession was only to prevent a team from winning the toss and driving down the field long enough to kick a game winning FG without the other team getting a chance.  As someone else said, nobody complained when the Pats beat the Falcons in OT.

If they want to go to "each team gets an equal number of possessions in OT", I guess I'd be fine with that.  But hopefully they don't over complicate things.   The rules are already complicated enough.  

30 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Few folks outside of New York think "lovable" when we're thinking about New York or New York Sports Teams.

To be quite honest, for many Americans, New Yorkers just aren't very likeable.  And neither are their sports teams.

I believe this is the point in this old chestnut where one of our resident New Yorker/Ex-New Yorkers will say "they're just dumb jealous rednecks because we're the greatest city with the greatest stuff and the greatest people in the world", lol.

The Yankees are the most popular team in the country.  And the Mets have been loved since day one when the were called lovable losers.  Maybe Washington fans hate them.  Probably because the Mets. Get more coverage than the Nats.  Just like those WS Philly teams whined like girls that the Mets got more press Thant the Phillies.  Or the ASTROS in 86 did the same.  Etc, etc. I never call them dumb rednecks.  But NYC to me is the greatest city in the world, it’s quoted on TV all the time so I get people like you who just didn’t get it, which is fine, hating to hear it all the time.  I’ve always said if you loved your time in NYC nowhere else compares.  If you didn’t you always be happier somewhere else

1 minute ago, defensedoesntgetyoulaid said:

Believe me, we do!

4 straight Super Bowl losses with 3 being massacres, and one was "wide right" to the New York Giants.

Music City Miracle 

Kansas City Choke - biggest choke in NFL HISTORY. #13SECONDS

Just a tortured franchise when you come out of Playoff hibernation. I don't feel sorry. It makes me feel better about being a Jets fan.

• Sympathy 2

51 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This might be the saddest thread I've seen on here. Like, really.. why don't people feel more sorry for US?!

Point of the thread was not asking why don’t people feel sorry for the jets. The jets deserve nothing right now. I’ll be the first one to say that.  The point of the thread was asking why a team like Buffalo is getting the treatment and coverage they are getting right now when they choked a game away. Sympathy, empathy, ot rules, why wasn’t this flag thrown, etc. I don’t think it’s sad for me to compare it to the team I root for. Some people answered with good responses: lovable losers, city in which they play, the love for allen etc. Your response? Not so much. 

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I was going to say, if the Bills are "loveable losers" the Jets are "hateable losers"

NY teams seem to be universally disliked by non-NY fans. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Point of the thread was not asking why don’t people feel sorry for the jets. The jets deserve nothing right now. I’ll be the first one to say that.  The point of the thread was asking why a team like Buffalo is getting the treatment and coverage they are getting right now when they choked a game away. Sympathy, empathy, ot rules, why wasn’t this flag thrown, etc. I don’t think it’s sad for me to compare it to the team I root for. Some people answered with good responses: lovable losers, city in which they play, the love for allen etc. Your response? Not so much. 

Because it’s something to talk about.  They ere screwed out of a win, let’s discuss changing the rule is a whole lot more interesting than it was a great game and KC pulled it out, Bills should have played better defensively

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Because it’s something to talk about.  They ere screwed out of a win, let’s discuss changing the rule is a whole lot more interesting than it was a great game and KC pulled it out, Bills should have played better defensively

At the end of the day you’re probably right, just something else to talk about. Yet like previously mentioned when it happened to the chiefs and falcons it wasn’t worth talking about it, I guess because it was Brady on the winning end. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Jetlife33 said:

You are correct. I should’ve said in a game where his team choked. People want McCarthy to get fired in Dallas. This game? People want the OT rules changed because Allen didn’t get to touch the ball. I just find it odd. 

I think it's because we all wanted more!  It was insane.  And the dynamic of it going from a situation there was too much time to not enough time felt like unfitting ending. 

1 hour ago, rex-n-effect said:

Given how the last couple minutes of regulation turned out the game was probably decided at the coin flip because either team was likely to score a TD if they got the ball. That's not really the way you want any game decided but especially not a playoff. It is somewhat unfair to have the game come down to a coin flip but I only feel so bad for a division rival. 

Did you always feel the coin flip was somewhat unfair or was it just the context of this game that made you think that?  just curious.