Jets Worked Out Canadian WR/TE Jevon Cottoy

C Mart

Tom Pelissero @TomPelissero

The #Jets worked out Canadian WR/TE Jevon Cottoy today, source said. Cottoy (6-5, 230) had 39 catches for 519 yards and 3 TDs last season for the CFL's BC Lions. More workouts scheduled.

• Upvote 1

Cottoy played for the Calgary Colts of the Canadian Junior Football League in 2014 and 2015 where he was named the 2014 Prairie Football Conference's Rookie of the Year. He was offered a scholarship to play for the Calgary Dinos football team for the 2016 season, but he tore his ACL and MCL just before the season and was unable to play.

Cottoy didn't play football for two years and was training in Calgary to become a firefighter. After discussions with friends and family, he reunited with his former coach, Matt Blokker, to play for the Langley Rams in 2018.  He played in eight games in the 2018 regular season and finished with 39 catches for 657 yards and eight touchdowns. In the playoffs that year, the Rams played in four games, including the championship game, where Cottoy had 25 receptions for 645 yards and eight touchdowns. 

Professional career

After a dominant junior career, Cottoy signed with the BC Lions on December 12, 2018 as a territorial protected junior player. Following a strong training camp, he made the team's active roster and played in his first game on June 15, 2019 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers where he recorded one reception for six yards.  He scored his first touchdown on a three-yard reception from Mike Reilly on July 20, 2019, against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

After the CFL canceled the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Cottoy chose to opt-out of his contract with the Lions on August 31, 2020.  He had attended a workout with the San Francisco 49ers, but eventually re-signed with the Lions on June 21, 2021. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Sign this beast. lol. 

Seriously though, looks like a tweener TE/WR who would play the flex/Y. I wouldn't get too excited. JD doing his due offseason diligence. 

No doubt...Same as the Cager signing as TE.

I did like in the film clip that he uses his hands to extend towards and secure the ball BEFORE it hits his body. So many guys just wait for the ball, and it gives DB's a chance to defend the pass, or it increases the chance it will bounce off their torso. Basic stuff often ignored.

11 hours ago, C Mart said:

Cottoy played for the Calgary Colts of the Canadian Junior Football League in 2014 and 2015 where he was named the 2014 Prairie Football Conference's Rookie of the Year. He was offered a scholarship to play for the Calgary Dinos football team for the 2016 season, but he tore his ACL and MCL just before the season and was unable to play.

Cottoy didn't play football for two years and was training in Calgary to become a firefighter. After discussions with friends and family, he reunited with his former coach, Matt Blokker, to play for the Langley Rams in 2018.  He played in eight games in the 2018 regular season and finished with 39 catches for 657 yards and eight touchdowns. In the playoffs that year, the Rams played in four games, including the championship game, where Cottoy had 25 receptions for 645 yards and eight touchdowns. 

Professional career

After a dominant junior career, Cottoy signed with the BC Lions on December 12, 2018 as a territorial protected junior player. Following a strong training camp, he made the team's active roster and played in his first game on June 15, 2019 against the Winnipeg Blue Bombers where he recorded one reception for six yards.  He scored his first touchdown on a three-yard reception from Mike Reilly on July 20, 2019, against the Saskatchewan Roughriders.

After the CFL canceled the 2020 season due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Cottoy chose to opt-out of his contract with the Lions on August 31, 2020.  He had attended a workout with the San Francisco 49ers, but eventually re-signed with the Lions on June 21, 2021. 

c3Am7DI.gif.9b64cbd194c7cef8620b194b19a1f6bb.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, C Mart said:

The #Jets worked out Canadian WR/TE Jevon Cottoy today, source said. Cottoy (6-5, 230) had 39 catches for 519 yards and 3 TDs last season for the CFL's BC Lions. More workouts scheduled.

Those numbers... in the CFL,..  meh

14 hours ago, C Mart said:

Woody should just export the Jets to the CFL. If he did that we’d have a chance to make the playoffs in 2025. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

BC LIONS ⁦‪@BCLions‬⁩ 

Another key piece retained

#BCLions re-sign Jevon Cottoy to extension through 2023  

The 25-year old was third in most ream receiving yard categories last season

2/2/22, 11:24 AM

On 1/25/2022 at 10:40 PM, Beerfish said:

No stone unturned.  I did not notice him much in the CFL this year but to be honest when my home team won like 2 games I was put off from all cfl.

So you are a Jets fan and a 2 win CFL fan?  That stings.

I’m a Rutgers grad and fan so know what it’s like to watch bad football.

Here’s to all of us having the good fortune to watch a good Jets team going forward.  Is that too much to ask God?  Lol

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

So you are a Jets fan and a 2 win CFL fan?  That stings.

I’m a Rutgers grad and fan so know what it’s like to watch bad football.

Here’s to all of us having the good fortune to watch a good Jets team going forward.  Is that too much to ask God?  Lol

Well at leat my CFL team has a long term history of winning and a dynasty, not lately though, last few years have been pretty terrible.

Covid has really hurt the CFL as well as it is very much a gate driven league.

• Upvote 1

No stone unturned.  I did not notice him much in the CFL this year but to be honest when my home team won like 2 games I was put off from all cfl.

Was a big Toronto Argonauts fan in 1994-1995 when Marvin Graves was there. 

I'm sure it came up in another thread - and think someone started one in the past year - but absent finding that, here's as good a place as any to ask: how are you a Jets fan?

Some can at least blame their fathers, which is a very American thing to do anyway, or because father was a Giants fan so picking the Jets instead just to not listen to daddy (no less American, lol).

What's your excuse?

39 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I'm sure it came up in another thread - and think someone started one in the past year - but absent finding that, here's as good a place as any to ask: how are you a Jets fan?

Some can at least blame their fathers, which is a very American thing to do anyway, or because father was a Giants fan so picking the Jets instead just to not listen to daddy (no less American, lol).

What's your excuse?

Ricky Ray, yes....Ricky Ray

Ray came for the Edmonton Eskimos to the Jets.  The Eskimos (name since changed to Elks) are my hometown CFL team.

I decided to look in on a Jets forum to follow his progress. (Jets Insider I believe) and was impressed by the loyalty and snark of many of the jets fans.  And I remained. 

(The Jets still totally blew it with Ray, he never got a real shot and was vastly better than most of the QBs we have trotted out over the years.)

• Upvote 1