As much as we have, we don't have enough Draft capital

Peace Frog

Nine picks.  I think we're all happy, especially 5 in rounds 1-3.

But when you think about it, conservatively, we need to reload (well, load, we aren't in the reloading phase) a ton of positions.

By my estimate we need --on O--at least 2 WRs, at least 2 TEs, at least 1 top end OLineman and 1 swing backup, at least 1 RB.

On D we need at LEAST 1 Edge (pending Lawson coming back at or near 100%), at least 2 LBs, a starting CB and 1 backup and possibly 2 safeties.  

That's 14 players.  At a minimum.  That's assuming we're relatively stocked at DLine.  

I know, we're supposedly going to load up in FA but when you think about it, we're competing with 31 other teams for a FA class that is not that stocked.  Do we get maybe 1 WR? 1 swing OLineman? A RB? Maybe a second tier TE (I doubt we're getting Shultz).  Are we in the market for another top end edge? Many of the top end FAs are getting on in years. And do they want to come to the Jets? 

So this draft, while not top end heavy with elite talent seems to be very deep--at least 3 WRs we'd all consider early and maybe 5-6 more we'd like later on.  Seems to be a bunch of Edge players--some interesting OLineman in rounds 2-3-4, a number of TEs that a bunch of us like,  some LBs that would absolutely transform our defense, some interesting RBs in rounds 4-5, Safety (which McShay calls the shallowest positon) and yeah some CBs. 

And let's be honest, we're not going to hit on all 9 picks.

As excited as I am for this draft, there are going to be a bunch of players we love that we're going to miss out on because of other needs/BAP.

Really hope DB is on the back burner for JD/Saleh.  And no DLine.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How many rookies do we really want starting in 2022? If wins and losses aren't the priority then by all means continue the slow burn rebuild.

I don't think that's the reality of the situation though. If the Jets aren't winning games in 2022 the media & fans will turn up the heat on Saleh & JD really quickly. While that shouldn't matter, it does. Woody Johnson won't sit idly by as the media is roasting JD & Saleh after another 5 win team building season. 

They need to be in the wild card hunt in December in 2022. Woody won't put out a playoff mandate because he's a pussbag but he will melt to the pressure of the media & fans.

Yeah, we can't have 14 new rookie starters but I'm talking about loading up for the next few years.  We're going to need some vets via FA but how many are we realistically going to get?  

24 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

By my estimate we need --on O--at least 2 WRs, at least 2 TEs, at least 1 top end OLineman and 1 swing backup, at least 1 RB.

Agree on WR and TE, but I’m not sure if they do. Don’t really agree on the OL. Resigning Moses and LDT, or another OG, would be sufficient. RBs are cheap. You can get a solid vet for little money, or fill it out with a late pick or UDFA. 

25 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

On D we need at LEAST 1 Edge (pending Lawson coming back at or near 100%), at least 2 LBs, a starting CB and 1 backup and possibly 2 safeties.  

An Edge, definitely. Two LBs? Probably not. Rarely have more than two on the field at once. One good one would be nice. CB is fine as long as the pass rush is improved. And, again, safety is another position where you can get a vet cheap or fix with a later pick. 

It’s really not all that dire. Last year all four players drafted in the first four rounds became starters, this year JD will draft seven players in the first four rounds. So many of those positions will be filled thru the draft (Edge, WR, TE, LB all seem likely in those four rounds). 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

I'd like to see JD take the later picks and trade them for (an) earlier pick(s) next year. There's only so many roster spots every year. It's the first four to five rounds that really count. After that, the quality of picks is close to undrafted FA's, and your scouting department should identify those few you want to target. Try to get to the point where you always have a couple of extra picks in the first five rounds. It also helps if in those future drafts to move up a few slots if there's someone you really covet. My 2c .

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Bungaman said:

I'd like to see JD take the later picks and trade them for (an) earlier pick(s) next year. There's only so many roster spots every year. It's the first four to five rounds that really count. After that, the quality of picks is close to undrafted FA's, and your scouting department should identify those few you want to target. Try to get to the point where you always have a couple of extra picks in the first five rounds. It also helps if in those future drafts to move up a few slots if there's someone you really covet. My 2c .

If he doesn’t make some sort of blockbuster trade for a WR, I could definitely see him looking to trade back from 4 or 10 far enough to net a 2023 first rounder. 

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

How many rookies do we really want starting in 2022? If wins and losses aren't the priority then by all means continue the slow burn rebuild.

I don't think that's the reality of the situation though. If the Jets aren't winning games in 2022 the media & fans will turn up the heat on Saleh & JD really quickly. While that shouldn't matter, it does. Woody Johnson won't sit idly by as the media is roasting JD & Saleh after another 5 win team building season. 

They need to be in the wild card hunt in December in 2022. Woody won't put out a playoff mandate because he's a pussbag but he will melt to the pressure of the media & fans.

I don't think 2022 is as important in terms of wins and losses as it is for the team just being more competitive. If the team pulls out 5-6 wins and can keep games somewhat close in the losses, that is a move in the right direction.  With how things are going, 2023 will be the season where the pressure will be on. 

7 minutes ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Draft only offense playmakers. Get ZW some real weapons and lots of them, The conference and division has passed this team by immensely in that regard and they will continue to stock up, A wild card berth in 2022 is a pipe dream without them. 

While I would agree with that--I just can't see JD completely dismissing defense in this draft, any draft.

It's too idealistic.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Peace Frog said:

While I would agree with that--I just can't see JD completely dismissing defense in this draft, any draft.

It's too idealistic.  

Agree...we will wind up with half the draft being defensive guys which true to JD form are complete reaches and overdrafted, projection types...the guy is completely predictable. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Drafts like 2020 will put us in a perpetual rebuild. Drafts like 2021 will have us competing for a division title in two years. A repeat of the 2021 draft would be enough to have us "in the hunt" until late in the 2022 season. If the 2022 draft yielded the equivalents of AVT, Moore, MC, and MC2 in different positions, the Jets would be vastly improved from 2021, and this is not taking into account the return of injured players and free agent signings. 

JD has positioned the Jets to compete for a wild card berth in 2022 with a b+ free agency and draft. Will it happen? That is yet to be seen, but as we have seen with teams like the Bengals, you can go from worst to AFC championship in a few years. 

yep.  another poster listed the top 10 players drafted by douglas so far.  pretty much couldn't argue and all ten made significant contributions even if not the best at their positions.  they need to grab another 5 or 6 in this years draft plus maybe 2-3 free agents and next season could really get interesting.

I would expect a very similar free agency this off season.  Some Tier 1B contracts, like Lawson and Corey Davis, and then others.  

Hopefully Lawson and Corey Davis can come back and contribute.  

The Jets really got nothing from their 2021 FA class, other than Tevin Coleman.  Joyner and Lawson did not make it past game 1, Corey Davis was in and out (but looked ok while in) and Jarrad Davis and Dan Feeney were actually certified busts in performance.

It would not surprise me though to see JD do almost the same thing.  He will look for a WR at $10mm+.  He will look for a safety.  He will look for an OL or two (needs to pay more than he paid Feeney).  He really needs another LB at $5mm+.  Maybe even another EDGE at $5mm-$10mm.  The cap money will evaporate.  

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

4 top picks (in the top 40).  One of the most cap space availability.  A solid young core to work around and a potential franchise QB in Wilson (or so I am told).

There is no reason to start making pre-emptive excuses for 2022 in January. 

A competent GM and Coaching Staff would have plenty to work with in terms of assets to restore us to competitive status in 2022.

In terms of needs?  A WR (hopefully at #4 or #10), a pass-catching TE, improved play from Wilson, Berrios resigned, and the O should be fine.  O-line help would be good, and can be addressed either in FA or mid-round draft.  I'd like to see Moses resigned.

Defense is pretty atrocious, but Lawson will be back, we're likely to draft an Edge high (#4), and LB's in the mids.  Lawson and a high Edge should do wonders for the pressure, which in turn helps our young-but-with-upside DB's.  Honestly, I'd try to resign Maye, but maybe JD want to go another direction (presumably other S are available in FA).  With Saleh, this should be enough to be semi-average at the least.

Not looking for a Super Bowl run in 2022.  But "competitive" (i.e. being in almost all our games with few or no blowout losses, competing for a .500 or slightly higher record all year long) should be absolutely doable with the assets we possess.  Especially if Wilson can raise his game to just average (~15th ranked QB type production).

Less than 8 wins is a failure, IMO

• Upvote 3

Between the draft, FA, and the very promising rookie class from this past year taking a second year jump, we have no excuse to not be hovering around 0.500 next season. 

My goal is 8 wins. Less than that is a disappointment. Less than 6 and I'm cleaning house. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Irish Jet said:

So glad we beat the Jags. Best day of my life!

You could argue that there is little appreciable difference between #1 overall and #4 overall this year. 

There is no consensus best player in the draft and no hot shot ("generational") QB who someone will sell the farm for. 

I enjoyed that win - thank you very much!

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I'm not sure how you could ask for more draft capital than the Jets have, other than trading back which this team never does but they have plenty of picks in the right spots in the draft.  Sure, it doesnt look stocked but they just need to execute.  Those first 4 picks have to be good players and if they hit on depth throughout the rest of the draft, you're stoked.  It looked like Saleh and JD had a plan in '21 and I'm personally excited to see if they can repeat their success. 

I also really dont think the offense is that far off.  One of the most explosive offenses in the league when Zach was sidelined.  There is plenty to work with right now.  They could roll the offense back and add WR and a real TE and this offense would be more than capable of scoring a lot of points.

Lots would have to break right for the playoffs to happen next year.  Namely Zach Wilson becoming a top 10 QB.  IMO, it's highly unlikely. I think you're hoping to be 8-8 next year w/ 2023 as the make-or-break season for the JD/Saleh/Wilson era.

5 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

I'm not sure how you could ask for more draft capital than the Jets have, other than trading back which this team never does but they have plenty of picks in the right spots in the draft.  Sure, it doesnt look stocked but they just need to execute.  Those first 4 picks have to be good players and if they hit on depth throughout the rest of the draft, you're stoked.  It looked like Saleh and JD had a plan in '21 and I'm personally excited to see if they can repeat their success. 

I also really dont think the offense is that far off.  One of the most explosive offenses in the league when Zach was sidelined.  There is plenty to work with right now.  They could roll the offense back and add WR and a real TE and this offense would be more than capable of scoring a lot of points.

Lots would have to break right for the playoffs to happen next year.  Namely Zach Wilson becoming a top 10 QB.  IMO, it's highly unlikely. I think you're hoping to be 8-8 next year w/ 2023 as the make-or-break season for the JD/Saleh/Wilson era.

I want to trade back but it’s not going to happen. That would be my hope for more draft capital. Lol anyone saying the excuses are all ready being established. Asinine. We’re still 2 years away. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, nj meadowlands said:

There's also the possibility that, you know, the players currently on the roster will improve and step up.  We don't need 53 new guys.

I don’t think Mims C. Davis Krofty Griffin Wesco Coleman Clark T Johnson Edoga Cashman A Davis are going to improve. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, slats said:

Last year all four players drafted in the first four rounds became starters, 

Didn't we hear about how Mikey Mac had the most draft picks starting on the roster in the league? I'm not sure 'starter' on a 4 win team is the best evaluation criteria. 

• Post of the Week 2

9 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Didn't we hear about how Mikey Mac had the most draft picks starting on the roster in the league? I'm not sure 'starter' on a 4 win team is the best evaluation criteria. 

Let’s save the Zach discussion for now, but how well did AVT, Moore, and MC1 perform last year? I think if JD can get close to that level of production from four or five of the seven players he takes in the first four rounds this year, that I’d be pretty happy with that. 

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, slats said:

Let’s save the Zach discussion for now, but how well did AVT, Moore, and MC1 perform last year? I think if JD can get close to that level of production from four or five of the seven players he takes in the first four rounds this year, that I’d be pretty happy with that. 

That’s the thing, I’m being an idealistic idiot but I want him to hit 5 HRs and 4 doubles and triples. Never going to happen. 

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

But when you think about it, conservatively, we need to reload (well, load, we aren't in the reloading phase) a ton of positions.

That's 14 players.  At a minimum.  That's assuming we're relatively stocked at DLine.  

I know, we're supposedly going to load up in FA but when you think about it, we're competing with 31 other teams for a FA class that is not that stocked.  Do we get maybe 1 WR? 1 swing OLineman? A RB? Maybe a second tier TE (I doubt we're getting Shultz).  Are we in the market for another top end edge? Many of the top end FAs are getting on in years. And do they want to come to the Jets? 

So this draft, while not top end heavy with elite talent seems to be very deep--at least 3 WRs we'd all consider early and maybe 5-6 more we'd like later on.  Seems to be a bunch of Edge players--some interesting OLineman in rounds 2-3-4, a number of TEs that a bunch of us like,  some LBs that would absolutely transform our defense, some interesting RBs in rounds 4-5, Safety (which McShay calls the shallowest positon) and yeah some CBs. 

As excited as I am for this draft, there are going to be a bunch of players we love that we're going to miss out on because of other needs/BAP.

You should take a look on the draft board, some of the mocks have that & more. 😉

Edge and WR in the first- a playmaker for both sides of the ball.  In the 2nd grab a TE and LB. Both will have the opportunity to step in and start.  3rd and beyond grab a RB, some OL and DL depth. 

Add some S/CB help in FA, sign a starting OG and take a chance on a TE.

If Zach develops and the roster stays healthy and .500 is the minimum next season.

6 hours ago, Cut Jet Penalty Makers said:

Agree...we will wind up with half the draft being defensive guys which true to JD form are complete reaches and overdrafted, projection types...the guy is completely predictable. 

Joe Douglas is the guy who bids $1 everytime on the Price is Right

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

See what you stated is exactly correct since it may be necessary to take 1 or 2 of these draft picks to trade for a few proven players. We might need to pull a few deals not by offloading players for draft picks we gain, but doing like the Bills did for a 2nd round pick when they got Diggs. Zak showed enough at the end of the year to throw as many skill position players and Olineman to block for him that we can so he can continue to move forward. If that means more than half of the draft picks are used for trades and drafting players as well as getting FAs on O then so be it. if we can only afford 3 draft picks and a FA or 2 for the D then so be it. As we see you can have an all world D like the Bills and they can still give up 42 points and not stop great offenses when they need to in the playoffs.    

1 hour ago, slats said:

I'd say their overall performance was mediocre. I dont think you can definitely pencil any of those guys in as definitive long term starters besides AVT, who also plays the least valuable position.

The return on Douglas's first two drafts has been bad. They need to be a lot better.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I'd say their overall performance was mediocre. I dont think you can definitely pencil any of those guys in as definitive long term starters besides AVT, who also plays the least valuable position.

The return on Douglas's first two drafts has been bad. They need to be a lot better.

Why bother? You think anyone here agrees with you that they were all mediocre?  

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why bother? You think anyone here agrees with you that they were all mediocre?  

I mean they statistically were. Moore's big games also came when Wilson wasnt playing. Carter had what 600 yards rushing?

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Moore and Carter mediocre?

HAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA

• Upvote 1