As much as we have, we don't have enough Draft capital

12 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I mean they statistically were. Moore's big games also came when Wilson wasnt playing. Carter had what 600 yards rushing?

And Moore will be better WITH Zach. That’s just dumb. 

And Carter had some injuries. 

You’re just sh*tting on them because that’s what you do. 

So boring. 

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

And Moore will be better WITH Zach. That’s just dumb. 

And Carter had some injuries. 

You’re just sh*tting on them because that’s what you do. 

So boring. 

Well maybe they should stay healthy then. Have some expectations, it's embarrassing. 

• Upvote 1

We will be the you gest team in the league and will play more rookies then any other team in the league.  This is a patient rebuild that will turn into long term success.

This is an 8 team win next year.  2023 is the year we will compete for an afc east title and deep playoff run.

Sit tight jet fans.  We are getting there.

• Sympathy 2

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will be the you gest team in the league and will play more rookies then any other team in the league.  This is a patient rebuild that will turn into long term success.

This is an 8 team win next year.  2023 is the year we will compete for an afc east title and deep playoff run.

Sit tight jet fans.  We are getting there.

Anything over 6 wins and I’ll be happy

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

Drafts like 2020 will put us in a perpetual rebuild. Drafts like 2021 will have us competing for a division title in two years. A repeat of the 2021 draft would be enough to have us "in the hunt" until late in the 2022 season. If the 2022 draft yielded the equivalents of AVT, Moore, MC, and MC2 in different positions, the Jets would be vastly improved from 2021, and this is not taking into account the return of injured players and free agent signings. 
JD has positioned the Jets to compete for a wild card berth in 2022 with a b+ free agency and draft. Will it happen? That is yet to be seen, but as we have seen with teams like the Bengals, you can go from worst to AFC championship in a few years. 

People are forgetting why this happened... a complete overhaul of the scouting department ... these guys are still here ... and i for one, am excited.

.... Richard Todd, Ken OBrien, Chad Pennington, Mark Sanchez, Genope, Sam Darnold ...

Drafts like 2020 will put us in a perpetual rebuild. Drafts like 2021 will have us competing for a division title in two years. A repeat of the 2021 draft would be enough to have us "in the hunt" until late in the 2022 season. If the 2022 draft yielded the equivalents of AVT, Moore, MC, and MC2 in different positions, the Jets would be vastly improved from 2021, and this is not taking into account the return of injured players and free agent signings. 
JD has positioned the Jets to compete for a wild card berth in 2022 with a b+ free agency and draft. Will it happen? That is yet to be seen, but as we have seen with teams like the Bengals, you can go from worst to AFC championship in a few years. 

thank you for this post - too much negativity based on well … negativity from so called fans who really don’t root for this team but rather wallow in their anger and frustration- makes this board a disaster - your post however is measured and reasoned - like a true jets fan

Sent from my iPad using JetNation.com mobile app
  • Upvote 4

12 hours ago, Matt39 said:

I mean they statistically were. Moore's big games also came when Wilson wasnt playing. Carter had what 600 yards rushing?

Moore had big games when Wilson was playing, he got a good percentage of the yardage in couple off games. Moore isnt mediocre because of his stats.  Anyone who watched him gets that. 

How was AVT mediocre?  Hall?  The rest of last years draft.  They all contributed and a lot started as rookies.  Both Michael Carters contributed and counted on, one expected the other a revelation.  
You have to look at this in context, not by comparing their stats to some standard set either in your imagination or by comparing them to others.  They all played on a rebuilding team.  Stat readers are the worst

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

20 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Nine picks.  I think we're all happy, especially 5 in rounds 1-3.

But when you think about it, conservatively, we need to reload (well, load, we aren't in the reloading phase) a ton of positions.

By my estimate we need --on O--at least 2 WRs, at least 2 TEs, at least 1 top end OLineman and 1 swing backup, at least 1 RB.

On D we need at LEAST 1 Edge (pending Lawson coming back at or near 100%), at least 2 LBs, a starting CB and 1 backup and possibly 2 safeties.  

That's 14 players.  At a minimum.  That's assuming we're relatively stocked at DLine.  

I know, we're supposedly going to load up in FA but when you think about it, we're competing with 31 other teams for a FA class that is not that stocked.  Do we get maybe 1 WR? 1 swing OLineman? A RB? Maybe a second tier TE (I doubt we're getting Shultz).  Are we in the market for another top end edge? Many of the top end FAs are getting on in years. And do they want to come to the Jets? 

So this draft, while not top end heavy with elite talent seems to be very deep--at least 3 WRs we'd all consider early and maybe 5-6 more we'd like later on.  Seems to be a bunch of Edge players--some interesting OLineman in rounds 2-3-4, a number of TEs that a bunch of us like,  some LBs that would absolutely transform our defense, some interesting RBs in rounds 4-5, Safety (which McShay calls the shallowest positon) and yeah some CBs. 

And let's be honest, we're not going to hit on all 9 picks.

As excited as I am for this draft, there are going to be a bunch of players we love that we're going to miss out on because of other needs/BAP.

Really hope DB is on the back burner for JD/Saleh.  And no DLine.  

I seriously doubt we are going to see another year where we have so many rookies starting. This shoukd be the year JD jumps into the FA pool with both feet. Drafting good players os always a must but it is time for hime to go out and get a Diggs for Wilson. 

13 hours ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

Joe Douglas traded back twice in 2020, and twice in 2021.

True but I was referring to the first round picks.  The Jets dont historically trade back and that's where you accumulate more draft capital that actually matters.  Trading back a 4th round pick for a 5th and 6th, isnt really going to change the fate or your roster.  The Mims trade back netted them what, another 4th?  Again, not really helping your capital IMO but point taken, I should have specified first round picks.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

True but I was referring to the first round picks.  The Jets dont historically trade back and that's where you accumulate more draft capital that actually matters.  Trading back a 4th round pick for a 5th and 6th, isnt really going to change the fate or your roster.  The Mims trade back netted them what, another 4th?  Again, not really helping your capital IMO but point taken, I should have specified first round picks.

Actually, they got an additional late 3rd rounder for sliding back 11 spots in the 2nd.  They then flipped the 3rd rounder (101) for two 4ths and a 6th.  At the time, every single one of us was screaming against the trade down with Mims still on the board, and then shortly after, thrilled with the trade down when we still got Mims.  Joke was on us but all in all, the trade - in retrospect - was a solid one.  Most of JDs trades have turned out to be that.  

As for 1st round picks, we traded up last year and landed a fantastic player at a position of great need.  We could debate the value of that but in no way was it a 'bad' move.  Most of us were thrilled to land Elijah Moore in the 2nd and would have hated a trade down.  

But really, the point is that you can't hang 'historically' on Douglas.  What the two idiots before him did or didn't do is completely irrelevant.  Douglas has traded up and traded back.  He has shown himself to not be a 'sit and pick' kind of GM.  He also is willing to pay over value for a pick when he wants a guy (AVT).  So from that perspective, I just don't see any basis for criticism.

Who he picks is another debate.  But 2021 went a long way to making up for the disaster of 2020.  A healthy, recommitted Becton would help as well.  Fingers crossed...

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Actually, they got an additional late 3rd rounder for sliding back 11 spots in the 2nd.  They then flipped the 3rd rounder (101) for two 4ths and a 6th.  At the time, every single one of us was screaming against the trade down with Mims still on the board, and then shortly after, thrilled with the trade down when we still got Mims.  Joke was on us but all in all, the trade - in retrospect - was a solid one.  Most of JDs trades have turned out to be that.  

As for 1st round picks, we traded up last year and landed a fantastic player at a position of great need.  We could debate the value of that but in no way was it a 'bad' move.  Most of us were thrilled to land Elijah Moore in the 2nd and would have hated a trade down.  

But really, the point is that you can't hang 'historically' on Douglas.  What the two idiots before him did or didn't do is completely irrelevant.  Douglas has traded up and traded back.  He has shown himself to not be a 'sit and pick' kind of GM.  He also is willing to pay over value for a pick when he wants a guy (AVT).  So from that perspective, I just don't see any basis for criticism.

Who he picks is another debate.  But 2021 went a long way to making up for the disaster of 2020.  A healthy, recommitted Becton would help as well.  Fingers crossed...

Who's criticizing?  It's an observation in a thread about not having enough draft capital.  The NY Jets and Joe Douglas, historically, dont trade back in the 1st round.   My point is the only meaningful way to create more capital is to trade your 1st round picks.  These mid round moves dont move the needle unless you get very lucky.  

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I seriously doubt we are going to see another year where we have so many rookies starting. This shoukd be the year JD jumps into the FA pool with both feet. Drafting good players os always a must but it is time for hime to go out and get a Diggs for Wilson. 

Of course but my point was, and it’s something we always set us up for, we think we’re getting ball the top free agents. While we have a lot of $$ to spend, some have more than us, some, while not as much still have a lot, even teams in cap hell will move money around or tag their best player to keep them. We’re competing with 31 other teams and there aren’t 31 top free agents at all our positions of need. 

As much as I’d like studs at TE, WR, Oline, Edge, LB, S, CB and RB, I only expect maybe 1 top free agent and a couple of mid level guys. 

Not because JD isn’t jumping in with both feet. There are a lot of teams jumping in with 2 feet— and it’s into a kiddie pool. 

11 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

Who's criticizing?  It's an observation in a thread about not having enough draft capital.  The NY Jets and Joe Douglas, historically, dont trade back in the 1st round.   My point is the only meaningful way to create more capital is to trade your 1st round picks.  These mid round moves dont move the needle unless you get very lucky.  

I think where we disagree is you appear to be equating 'draft capital' with the number of picks.  You are generally suggesting that two lower picks is more valuable than a higher pick.  I see value as the overall benefit you provide to your team regardless of how many players are involved.  Admittedly the most extreme example - KC traded two 1sts and a 3rd to move up in 2017 for Mahomes.  Three picks for one.  Nobody in KC feels it was a bad use of draft capital.  I put up the AVT trade as a lesser example.  Trading back, in a vacuum, doesn't help. 

Look at Miami last year.  They got cute, trading back from 3 to 12, then back up to 6.  Had they stayed at 3, they would probably have taken Chase instead of Waddle and a 1st rounder.   I wonder if they could have a do-over what they would choose now.

1 hour ago, JiFapono said:

2 forths that ended up being total wastes—James Morgan and Cameron Clark.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Of course but my point was, and it’s something we always set us up for, we think we’re getting ball the top free agents. While we have a lot of $$ to spend, some have more than us, some, while not as much still have a lot, even teams in cap hell will move money around or tag their best player to keep them. We’re competing with 31 other teams and there aren’t 31 top free agents at all our positions of need. 

As much as I’d like studs at TE, WR, Oline, Edge, LB, S, CB and RB, I only expect maybe 1 top free agent and a couple of mid level guys. 

Not because JD isn’t jumping in with both feet. There are a lot of teams jumping in with 2 feet— and it’s into a kiddie pool. 

I think, in this draft, the meat is halfway down round 1 and rounds 2 and 3. A lot of talent there to help stock the roster. 

Question is, is Garrett Wilson anywhere near Chase? 

4 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think where we disagree is you appear to be equating 'draft capital' with the number of picks.  You are generally suggesting that two lower picks is more valuable than a higher pick.  I see value as the overall benefit you provide to your team regardless of how many players are involved.  Admittedly the most extreme example - KC traded two 1sts and a 3rd to move up in 2017 for Mahomes.  Three picks for one.  Nobody in KC feels it was a bad use of draft capital.  I put up the AVT trade as a lesser example.  Trading back, in a vacuum, doesn't help. 

Look at Miami last year.  They got cute, trading back from 3 to 12, then back up to 6.  Had they stayed at 3, they would probably have taken Chase instead of Waddle and a 1st rounder.   I wonder if they could have a do-over what they would choose now.

Again, I'm responding to a thread and the topic in said thread was about needing more capital ie; picks because there are so many holes on the roster.  So, I'm making observations under those conditions, this isnt my opinion, I personally think the Jets have plenty of capital.

Go look at my first post, I said.

I'm not sure how you could ask for more draft capital than the Jets have, other than trading back which this team never does but they have plenty of picks in the right spots in the draft.  Sure, it doesnt look stocked but they just need to execute.  Those first 4 picks have to be good players and if they hit on depth throughout the rest of the draft, you're stoked.  It looked like Saleh and JD had a plan in '21 and I'm personally excited to see if they can repeat their success. 

And I whole heartedly disagree with your take on Maimi.  They killed that trade.   They got the 12th overall, and 2 future 1st round picks and the used 1 to land the #6 pick.  And looking at who they took specifically, makes sense.  Tua can't stretch the field to take advantage of Chase.  Waddle was a perfect fit and, in both scenarios, each QB was inheriting someone they were familiar with from college.  Waddle went on to have a record-breaking rookie season (most receptions ever for a rookie) and the trade back scenario put them in position to land Phillips who had a great rookie season with 8.5 sacks and is going to be really good in this league.

17 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The do-over they would want is from the year before.?

• Upvote 2

We all thought Mims was a steal when he was picked in 2020 and was happy to have him.   Some of us did wonder why he acted so strangely on video at home when he was picked by the Jets.  I think that was the red flag.  

He gave us hope with some big plays after he recovered from pulling BOTH hamstrings.

Becton also gave us some hope in 2020, and we thought he was the right pick there generally.  There was some concern, but based on the draftniks Becton had the arm length to play LT, the Jets needed one because Fant was still developmental, and Wirfs was likely looking at playing G because his arms were too short.  

Ashtyn Davis was viewed as a potential 2nd round draft pick because of his athleticism.  Jabari Zuniga had high upside athleticism.  

I think fans overrate generally the role of the GM/Scouts-picking players is very much a team effort with the scouts and coaches.  The Jets' 2020 picks were very much impaired because of the coaching influence.  .  I read an article that basically said that the Jets 2020 picks were generally right out of the draft guide order for athletic upside.  I think that were the Mims, Davis and Zuniga picks.  Perine and Morgan were Gase specials.  Bryce Hall was JD taking the best player on his board.  

I definitely think there is a team that can get more out of Mims-ML is asking him to run precise routes from various positions-he can't and does not want to do that.   He is basically a bigger version of Robbie Anderson, which is fine.  Let's find a team that will pay for him to be that.  So the Jets should try to unload him before or during the draft, or basically create plays in the pre-season to showcase him to trade him.  If that does not work he should be a final cut and he can try to latch on to another team that has no money left.  

We don't have as much FA capital either.  The list of roster spots that are now open because of departing FAs is also very long.  FAs will need to be paid a premium to play for this team until JD creates a base of good drafted players.   That is what the Bengals did.  Getting more draft picks, not trading draft picks, and signing players to fill the roster openings as best they can, potentially signing a few higher performing players, like last year's Lawson and Corey Davis, is a good way to start. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, varjet said:

We all thought Mims was a steal when he was picked in 2020 and was happy to have him.   Some of us did wonder why he acted so strangely on video at home when he was picked by the Jets.  I think that was the red flag.  

I think the reason he acted so strange was because, technically, we passed on him.  He looks like a 'chip on the shoulder' type diva that will be pissed at all the teams that passed on him--including us.

We could have taken him at 48, and in his mind we SHOULD have.  That we traded back an STILL got him likely made him feel like sloppy seconds.  And in doing so we cost him $$.

We're no different than all the other teams that passed on him.  

41 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Well, getting  your giy os what you hore the GM for. It's not just picking the player, it's also recruiting  him. 

You need to stagger draft picks for cap reasons, but you probably need 30% more picks than you want players because of the bust rate. 

10 picks with 7 working out is about right actually and they have 9 I think. JD likes to move around in the middle rounds so it might eventually be 8 picks with 5-6 working out 

I say we go mostly O. I know I know, our D was atrocious but even as bad as they were they showed a lot of toughness at times and were not done any favors by the offense. Many games the TOP was embarrassingly lopsided leading to the unit getting fatigued much faster. I think the defense can be competitive with only 1 or 2 upgrades. The offense needs about 5 or 6.

39 minutes ago, varjet said:

35 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I think the reason he acted so strange was because, technically, we passed on him.  He looks like a 'chip on the shoulder' type diva that will be pissed at all the teams that passed on him--including us.

We could have taken him at 48, and in his mind we SHOULD have.  That we traded back an STILL got him likely made him feel like sloppy seconds.  And in doing so we cost him $$.

We're no different than all the other teams that passed on him.  

Ive heard a lot about his reaction on draft day and he did talk about this and said, he was mad.  Felt like he was passed over and he was the better player.  So I think we just saw a frustrated due

It was believed New York would target a wide receiver at No. 48, but several players at the position — including Clemson's Tee Higgins, USC's Michael Pittman Jr., Colorado's Laviska Shenault and Penn State's K.J. Hamler — were drafted in the second round before the Jets went on the clock.

“I was a little surprised,” Mims said of his slide. “But, one thing I was taught is you can only control what you can control. So, I got upset a little bit, but I cleared up and just let everything happen.”

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound Mims remained on the board when the Jets’ second-round pick came up again, and Douglas grabbed him.

“Denzel had a real chip on his shoulder,” Douglas said of his telephone conversation with Mims after he was selected. "It was important to him that he was going to make these teams pay for passing him up. We can't wait to get that type of competitor, that type of mentality in the building.”

23 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Nine picks.  I think we're all happy, especially 5 in rounds 1-3.

But when you think about it, conservatively, we need to reload (well, load, we aren't in the reloading phase) a ton of positions.

By my estimate we need --on O--at least 2 WRs, at least 2 TEs, at least 1 top end OLineman and 1 swing backup, at least 1 RB.

On D we need at LEAST 1 Edge (pending Lawson coming back at or near 100%), at least 2 LBs, a starting CB and 1 backup and possibly 2 safeties.  

That's 14 players.  At a minimum.  That's assuming we're relatively stocked at DLine.  

I know, we're supposedly going to load up in FA but when you think about it, we're competing with 31 other teams for a FA class that is not that stocked.  Do we get maybe 1 WR? 1 swing OLineman? A RB? Maybe a second tier TE (I doubt we're getting Shultz).  Are we in the market for another top end edge? Many of the top end FAs are getting on in years. And do they want to come to the Jets? 

So this draft, while not top end heavy with elite talent seems to be very deep--at least 3 WRs we'd all consider early and maybe 5-6 more we'd like later on.  Seems to be a bunch of Edge players--some interesting OLineman in rounds 2-3-4, a number of TEs that a bunch of us like,  some LBs that would absolutely transform our defense, some interesting RBs in rounds 4-5, Safety (which McShay calls the shallowest positon) and yeah some CBs. 

And let's be honest, we're not going to hit on all 9 picks.

As excited as I am for this draft, there are going to be a bunch of players we love that we're going to miss out on because of other needs/BAP.

Really hope DB is on the back burner for JD/Saleh.  And no DLine.  

I think you are overestimating our needs and how teams generally handle free agency. A couple of reality checks. 1- we are not loading up to compete for a superbowl next year. Yes, we want to grow and be competitive but we won't be going ALL OUT in FA, if you will. and 2- Not all positions can be filled/fixed in one offseason.  

WR: Yes, the Jets need to sign/draft at least 2 WRs if anything simply b/c they have guys hitting FA. But if they bring back Berrios, draft a rookie (at some point) and sign a starter- thats probably enough. 

TE: Yes, the Jets should draft a TE and sign a TE. But the draft pick doesn't have to be a high one (although I want an impact TE in the draft) and the FA doesn't have to be a high priced one either. They just have to be better than what we have now- which is practically nothing.  

O-Line: They actually DON'T need a top end O-lineman. They just need to figure out a starter at RG and sign/draft depth. Becton, Fant are their tackles for next year, McGovern is C. AVT is LG. RG is ?. YES, I want them to draft Ekwonu to plug in at RG and sign/resign depth. But they don't HAVE to go that route. 

Edge: Adding more Pass Rush help is clearly a need. Its something I want them to address early on in the draft. However, assuming Lawson is coming back healthy, they may choose not to do that. And position wise- they don't nec. have to. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the pending Free Agency of Shepherd and Fat (and Phillips). The Depth of that D-line which Saleh loves to rotate. 

LBs: I believe Saleh will continue to develop Nas, Williams, and Sherwood as one of our OLBs. They may not be great options or seasoned vets but again, you can't have a pro-bowl caliber player at every position. Mosley is coming back to play Mike. If you ask me, the Jets will probably draft or sign a LB to start in lieu of Davis (who sucked if you ask me) but they won't go overboard- they don't need to bring in 2 or more. People forget about Nas and Sherwood. These guys were drafted by Saleh/JD and barely played due to injury.    

CB: Frankly, the Jets could stand pat at the CB position and be fine. Literally. They could do nothing and go into 2022 with the same group to continue developing their young core and I would have no problem with it. Hall, Echols, Carter, Guidry as the 'starters'. With Pinnock as more of a developmental Safety and Hardee as a special teams CB- gunner. They don't need a starting CB and a backup. 

S- This is one position that the Jets are truly bare at. Davis struggled in the starting position and losing Maye leaves a major hole. This is an important position in Salehs defense. The Jets need 2 legit starters with Davis and/or Pinnock being backups. JMHO. 

So, the way I see it they only really NEED 8 starting caliber players: two WRs to pair with Davis and Moore. Two TEs. A guard. An OLB. And Two safeties. Make it 9 if they decide to add an edge.

At least two of these starters will come from the draft. Probably more. Some will be re-signed (probably Berrios). Other guys will be brought in through FA. I would imagine at least 3 of the remaining 6 guys we need will be potential impact players and the others will be starters but less impact players- #2 TE for example, maybe another edge, maybe one of the two safeties we add?    

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

I think you are overestimating our needs and how teams generally handle free agency. A couple of reality checks. 1- we are not loading up to compete for a superbowl next year. Yes, we want to grow and be competitive but we won't be going ALL OUT in FA, if you will. and 2- Not all positions can be filled/fixed in one offseason.  

WR: Yes, the Jets need to sign/draft at least 2 WRs if anything simply b/c they have guys hitting FA. But if they bring back Berrios, draft a rookie (at some point) and sign a starter- thats probably enough. 

TE: Yes, the Jets should draft a TE and sign a TE. But the draft pick doesn't have to be a high one (although I want an impact TE in the draft) and the FA doesn't have to be a high priced one either. They just have to be better than what we have now- which is practically nothing.  

O-Line: They actually DON'T need a top end O-lineman. They just need to figure out a starter at RG and sign/draft depth. Becton, Fant are their tackles for next year, McGovern is C. AVT is LG. RG is ?. YES, I want them to draft Ekwonu to plug in at RG and sign/resign depth. But they don't HAVE to go that route. 

Edge: Adding more Pass Rush help is clearly a need. Its something I want them to address early on in the draft. However, assuming Lawson is coming back healthy, they may choose not to do that. And position wise- they don't nec. have to. Frankly, I'm more concerned about the pending Free Agency of Shepherd and Fat (and Phillips). The Depth of that D-line which Saleh loves to rotate. 

LBs: I believe Saleh will continue to develop Nas, Williams, and Sherwood as one of our OLBs. They may not be great options or seasoned vets but again, you can't have a pro-bowl caliber player at every position. Mosley is coming back to play Mike. If you ask me, the Jets will probably draft or sign a LB to start in lieu of Davis (who sucked if you ask me) but they won't go overboard- they don't need to bring in 2 or more. People forget about Nas and Sherwood. These guys were drafted by Saleh/JD and barely played due to injury.    

CB: Frankly, the Jets could stand pat at the CB position and be fine. Literally. They could do nothing and go into 2022 with the same group to continue developing their young core and I would have no problem with it. Hall, Echols, Carter, Guidry as the 'starters'. With Pinnock as more of a developmental Safety and Hardee as a special teams CB- gunner. They don't need a starting CB and a backup. 

S- This is one position that the Jets are truly bare at. Davis struggled in the starting position and losing Maye leaves a major hole. This is an important position in Salehs defense. The Jets need 2 legit starters with Davis and/or Pinnock being backups. JMHO. 

So, the way I see it they only really NEED 8 starting caliber players: two WRs to pair with Davis and Moore. Two TEs. A guard. An OLB. And Two safeties. Make it 9 if they decide to add an edge.

At least two of these starters will come from the draft. Probably more. Some will be re-signed (probably Berrios). Other guys will be brought in through FA. I would imagine at least 3 of the remaining 6 guys we need will be potential impact players and the others will be starters but less impact players- #2 TE for example, maybe another edge, maybe one of the two safeties we add?    

I don't mean to say we're going to compete even for the playoffs next year.

I just want to be competitive, not get blown out in 10 games, having an offense at the end of the year that is not filled with practice squad players.