Defense Wins Championships? Not really!

Alka

Watching the Bills- Chiefs game, it became apparent that the offense won the game, and the Bills, with the #1 defense in the league, was torn through like a hot knife cutting through butter in the closing minutes and overtime to give the Chiefs the win.

What does that tell me?  It tells me that in order to compete and win in the NFL, you must have a dynamic offense to start.

Dynamic QB, solid offensive line to protect the QB, dynamic wide receivers, quality catching tight end, and quality running back who can catch the ball out of the backfield is critical to compete for a championship.

The Jets must get a dynamic wide receiver this offseason.  Davis, who was signed for 3 years and 37.5 Million dollars, has been a disappointment thus far, and Mims is well, Mims.  And losing Crowder as well.  Top need will be getting this filled.  As well as resigning Berrios.

The Jets must fill the need for a quality tight end as well.  The Jets must fill the need to tighten up the offensive line as well, and get another quality running back.

Yes, the defense must be addressed as well, but there is only so much that can be done in one offseason, and as far as I am concerned, I am more concerned about getting an edge rusher and linebacker who can clog up the running lanes than I am with upgrading the back end of the defense this upcoming season.

So, if it were me, I get the best offensive lineman in the draft at #4, and the best wide receiver at #10.  In the second round, tight end and edge rusher if not addressed in free agency.

Imagine having Fant, AVT, McGovern, Evan Neal  as right guard and Becton as right tackle?  Give me the best wide receiver in the draft at #10, and add a quality tight end in the 2nd round.  If Zach Wilson can continue his progression in year #2, then the win totals will continue to grow, and the Jets will be able to compete for a playoff spot.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Then main adjustment the bills made last year  to catch the chiefs was too add pass rush, and they need more

Yeah, but the Bills already had a better offense the Jets currently have.  If you have the offense in place, then you can add the pass rush.  If you don't have the offense in place, then having a better pass rush isn't going to win you any more games.

Unfortunately, the Jets have to focus on getting up to par on offense, and that alone will make the team more competitive.

If it can be said that defense doesn’t win championships it can also be said that lack of defense can also lose you championships. Just look at the Bills / Chiefs & Rams / Bucs this weekend defense lost those games and going back the Dan Fouts Chargers with their dynamic offense never won a championship because of no defense Marino and the Dolphins as well. Defense has and always be an integral part of any championship team 

• Upvote 1

Elijah Moore averaged 75 yards a game the last 6 games of the season. Also had 5 TD's in that same stretch despite inconsistent passing performances. Moore has a chance to be that exciting / dynamic WR that we have been waiting for.

• Upvote 2

DEFENSE WON The Super Bowl just Last Year… EVERY Game played this past weekend the Defense played moderately well… except the last 2 minutes of the last game… I will say it here First.. The DEFENSE WILL WIN SB LVI.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, CSNY said:

If it can be said that defense doesn’t win championships it can also be said that lack of defense can also lose you championships. Just look at the Bills / Chiefs & Rams / Bucs this weekend defense lost those games and going back the Dan Fouts Chargers with their dynamic offense never won a championship because of no defense Marino and the Dolphins as well. Defense has and always be an integral part of any championship team 

I think I am not making myself clear, and that is my fault.

I'm not saying that defense isn't important.  What I am saying is that if you don't have a dynamic offense, then you've got nothing in this league right now.  And the Jets absolutely are not nearly good enough on offense.

The way the league is set up right now all favors the offense.  The fact that the starting yard line is now at the 25 for one.  #2, you can't hit the QB like you could in the past.  This is why in my opinion that Tom Brady can still play the game at 44 years of age.  #3, you can't hit the wide receiver after 5 yards is another.  #4, the way offenses now play, with the west coast offense, dumping off passes for 1 yard and then using that as a running play.  More mobile QBs who can use their legs and run.  Not to mention that 50 yard field goals are normal today, with big legs from field goal kickers.

Defense is important, but with the Jets needing help on the offense and defense, what I am saying is that 1st things first, and the Jets must focus on getting their offense up to par. Without that, they will continue to win 4 or5 or 6 wins this next season at best.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Alka said:

Yeah, but the Bills already had a better offense the Jets currently have.  If you have the offense in place, then you can add the pass rush.  If you don't have the offense in place, then having a better pass rush isn't going to win you any more games.

Unfortunately, the Jets have to focus on getting up to par on offense, and that alone will make the team more competitive.

If everyone comes back healthy I think there will be an emphasis on the front 7 actually.  Sure they need a couple TEs and a RG but the defense needs pass rush and speed 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, jetsons said:

DEFENSE WON The Super Bowl just Last Year… EVERY Game played this past weekend the Defense played moderately well… except the last 2 minutes of the last game… I will say it here First.. The DEFENSE WILL WIN SB LVI.

Not if the Chiefs are in the SB. Their OL was the reason why the Tampa defense was so effective - all they had to do was cover the receivers and bam. Now? The 1st ranked Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs, and even if the defense played well in the others, the offense was what won that Bills-Chiefs game, even if that was just the last 2 minutes

Now I could be wrong, and if I am then kudos to you for being right.

The NFL world will come crashing back to reality the next time one of these great young QBs get suffocated by a defense.  Burrow or Mahomes better be ready against the NFC champion, that’s all I’m saying.

Mahomes could do absolutely nothing against the Bucs last SB.

Josh Allen was only able to score 6 points against the Jaguars.

Just now, Biggs said:

There were 4 games last week.  I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the Chiefs Bills game. 

I think the general consensus is that the Bills-Chiefs game was the real super bowl, and since the Chiefs overpowered the #1 defense it was kind of telling as to what may happen in the Super Bowl. 

26 minutes ago, Hex said:

I think the general consensus is that the Bills-Chiefs game was the real super bowl, and since the Chiefs overpowered the #1 defense it was kind of telling as to what may happen in the Super Bowl. 

Completely disagree.  Both the Rams and 49ers have much better fronts than the Bills.  Both are able to get pressure up the middle and contain on the outside.  Buffalo's pass defense rarely got a rush on Mahomes and they gave up containment every time they did.  

• Upvote 2

Bills defense stopped KC's offense 6 times (4FGs, 2 points). If they hadn't then we wouldn't be talking about the last two minutes.

Defense matters.

Imagine the Jets playing KC. How many KC drives would end in non-touchdowns?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

Completely disagree.  Both the Rams and 49ers have much better fronts than the Bills.  Both are able to get pressure up the middle and contain on the outside.  Buffalo's pass defense rarely got a rush on Mahomes and they gave up containment every time they did.  

I see your point, but what the Bucs did to contain Mahomes wasn't the front, but being able to cover the receivers well. If the Niners or Rams can do that, I can see the defense playing well. But the KC OL was what killed them, because the Bucs didn't need to put much pressure on the line to do much.

52 minutes ago, Biggs said:

There were 4 games last week.  I wouldn't jump to conclusions based on the Chiefs Bills game. 

Exactly, it was one game by two teams with good QBs and lots of offensive talent.  The Bills lost to KC I the regular season giving up 38 points

SF v GB was hardly an offensive show.  If you use that game, DWC I guess.  

1 hour ago, Darnold's Forehead said:

The NFL world will come crashing back to reality the next time one of these great young QBs get suffocated by a defense.  Burrow or Mahomes better be ready against the NFC champion, that’s all I’m saying.

Mahomes could do absolutely nothing against the Bucs last SB.

Josh Allen was only able to score 6 points against the Jaguars.

You say that Mahomes could do absolutely nothing against the Bucs last SB?

Of course, because the Chiefs offensive line was decimated by injuries last SB, and that is the reason  why Mahomes couldn't do anything!

To have a dynamic offense entails having a quality offensive line to go with the dynamic skill positions on offense.  If you have that, then you are in business.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly, it was one game by two teams with good QBs and lots of offensive talent.  The Bills lost to KC I the regular season giving up 38 points

SF v GB was hardly an offensive show.  If you use that game, DWC I guess.  

The high powered Bengals O scored 19 and won.  They had 1 TD.  Match ups play a huge role in these games.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hex said:

Not if the Chiefs are in the SB. Their OL was the reason why the Tampa defense was so effective - all they had to do was cover the receivers and bam. Now? The 1st ranked Bills couldn't stop the Chiefs, and even if the defense played well in the others, the offense was what won that Bills-Chiefs game, even if that was just the last 2 minutes

Now I could be wrong, and if I am then kudos to you for being right.

Last time I saw OL was part of the offense

11 minutes ago, Biggs said:

The high powered Bengals O scored 19 and won.  They had 1 TD.  Match ups play a huge role in these games.  

Exactly, cherry picking one game and ignoring the rest didn’t really make his point

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Exactly, cherry picking one game and ignoring the rest didn’t really make his point

I must agree with you.  However, the fact still remains that the Buffalo defense was ranked #1 in the entire NFL this past season, and when the game was on the line 4 drives in a row, the Buffalo defense was not able to stop the Chiefs.  In fact, they couldn't even slow up the Chiefs offense.

Matchups do matter, and that is a valid argument against my initial post, but I still feel that building up the offense must be given a priority over building up the defense, if you have to pick one over the other.  Just my opinion.

Do I need to say it again lol... Trenches, Trenches, Trenches.  That's were this game starts and stops. It's so simple anyone can see. Get an OL that can run and pass block a majority of the time and you should be very successful.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Alka said:

You say that Mahomes could do absolutely nothing against the Bucs last SB?

Of course, because the Chiefs offensive line was decimated by injuries last SB, and that is the reason  why Mahomes couldn't do anything!

To have a dynamic offense entails having a quality offensive line to go with the dynamic skill positions on offense.  If you have that, then you are in business.

That's why I think it's very important JD drafts a C (Linderbaum being my preference) a RG (Zion Johnson- my preference) & RT (Daniel Faalele- my preference)... I know there's talk here about McGovern playing okay in 2021... but if you can have a Mangold for the next decade+ would you bypass him to keep McGovern?

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I must agree with you.  However, the fact still remains that the Buffalo defense was ranked #1 in the entire NFL this past season, and when the game was on the line 4 drives in a row, the Buffalo defense was not able to stop the Chiefs.  In fact, they couldn't even slow up the Chiefs offense.

Matchups do matter, and that is a valid argument against my initial post, but I still feel that building up the offense must be given a priority over building up the defense, if you have to pick one over the other.  Just my opinion.

Happens 

Being the number one defense for an entire season doesn’t guarantee that you won’t get into a high scoring game.  As I said, the Bills also gave up points, 38 of them to KC in the regular season.  Mahomes and KC aren’t the rest of teams on the Bills schedule

1 hour ago, Biggs said:

We always tend to do this, so I partially agree. 

But it's hard to ignore how many dynamic playmakers these teams all have as well as how much the rules favor the passing game. 

Lots of leaps in logic because of one wild, not typical, amazing game.

The 49'ers won on D.  The Bengals won on D.  And the Rams had the Bucs held to 13 points for 50 minutes until they started handing the Bucs the ball at the end of the game.

You need to have balance, but I agree with the general sentiment that you need to be able to score to win in this league. 

• Upvote 1

This again? All of the divisional round games were won by kicks.  Should we draft a kicker with one of our premium picks? 

The Bengals/Titans game ended in the teens (19-16), same with the Niners/Packers game (13-10). The Rams won because of their defense. They were all over Brady all day. And the only reason it was close is because their offense coughed it up a bunch of times. 

So yes, offense is important. You need great QB play, a solid o-line and playmakers to win. But what you REALLY need is balance. Because while you're talking about how the #1 defense was beat, it was such a close game that literally a coin flip could have been the difference. It's just cherry-picking. You need balance. Greatness in every aspect of the game is what wins championships.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, shawn306 said:

Last time I saw OL was part of the offense

That's my point - The Chief's OL not being great was a huge reason why the Tampa line did so well despite focusing on the secondary. I apologize for wording that badly, but if the Chief's OL had been like it is this year and healthy I bet KC would have won. There were a lot of drops too.

1 hour ago, 68JET11 said:

Do I need to say it again lol... Trenches, Trenches, Trenches.  That's were this game starts and stops. It's so simple anyone can see. Get an OL that can run and pass block a majority of the time and you should be very successful.

Joe Burrow says hi.