Sean Payton leaves Saints

doitny

11 minutes ago, Copernicus said:

This is great news for the Jets. A good team that will now go in to rebuild mode with new HC and GM. Most likely will want to draft a QB. We might have another possible trade partner if we want to move out of 4 and/or 10. Let's go! 

I think they are going to completely tear down this year and tank.  I don't think they'll be drafting QB, and just wait for a better class next year.  More likely, I think they will part with some of the veterans like Thomas/Kamara/Lattimore/Armstead which bodes well for us because there is more talent hitting the market.  

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Would Lattimore be a possibility for Jets? Only 25 years old and would be a nice addition to that secondary!

Probably not. Lattimore is probably one of the players the Saints will keep, due to his reliability and relatively low cap takeup. Players like Demario Davis and Michael Thomas, Cam Jordan will likely leave. Lattimore would be a nice addition to go with Hall, but I don't see that happening.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

He wasn't the GM

Wonder what it would take to get Michael Thomas from them right now. Under contract at very reasonable numbers (relative to his worth on the open market, and only to an acquiring team that wouldn't have the signing bonus proration), not a great relationship with the team, coming off an injury and on a team in need of a total rebuild.

I'd offer a 4th round pick (108) and a 2023 6th that can escalate in tiers up to a 2nd depending on games played, stats, and honors (would have to be an All-Pro for it to be a No. 2)

Payton was basically the GM. He had the most influence on personnel, I know Loomis is listed as the GM, but Payton has his fingerprints over everything over there. 

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

He got suspended a decade ago, remember.

Still, I don't know that he'd necessarily be the worst villain in the league in 2022, but he's no Saint.

crickets-fozzy.gif

I'm not sure what I like more...the pun or Fozzy....either way....here...take your rep.

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

I agree with this. This season was reportedly really hard on him mentally, and it's likely he will just take a break to get himself together. The fact that the Saints finished with a winning record this year is amazing, but it was taxing on him. Once he shakes that off he will probably coach again.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Would Lattimore be a possibility for Jets? Only 25 years old and would be a nice addition to that secondary!

Yes.  In fact, his contract was structured to be traded this offseason because of a $15M roster bonus due March 18.  They almost HAVE to trade him before then unless they find some way to restructure him yet again, but I can't see how that happens.

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, JTJet said:

Least attractive HC opening in the NFL now. 

- Cap hell

- No QB

- Following a N.O. legend

The only way NO will lure in a quality candidate is with a long contract and a long leash to suffer through a year or two of teardown and more time to rebuild. It is remotely possible that the GM can cut down the roster enough to bring in a QB and keep the team decently competitive but a decent head coach is going to want a contract that protects him from being the fall guy or pays him substantially to be the fall guy. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jetlife33 said:

Get on the phone JD

Curious about the trade value of Cam Jordan.

I doubt they let ryan ramczyk go and while I love Kamara, I don't want to pay RB's. 

But Jordan is great - I know he's aging and expensive - but that's why the cost to us might be low other than cap space?

He'd be a rental for a year or two. 

Just something to think about. 

• Upvote 1

Taking a quick look at the Saints cap situation, they don’t have many players they can trade and still not incur a lot of dead money.  It’s pretty bad for them.   I would say almost everyone should be available though.  They are going to need two full seasons to purge all of this.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Curious about the trade value of Cam Jordan.

I doubt they let ryan ramczyk go and while I love Kamara, I don't want to pay RB's. 

But Jordan is great - I know he's aging and expensive - but that's why the cost to us might be low other than cap space?

He'd be a rental for a year or two. 

Just something to think about. 

I understand the thought process, but I can't see this FO going for a 10 year vet, at least at this point.  If this was January 2023 and we were coming off a 8-9, 9-8 season, I could see them giving up some assets for older pieces to turn the roster into a playoff roster.

I just don't see them doing this now.

• Upvote 2

Just now, IndianaJet said:

I understand the thought process, but I can't see this FO going for a 10 year vet, at least at this point.  If this was January 2023 and we were coming off a 8-9, 9-8 season, I could see them giving up some assets for older pieces to turn the roster into a playoff roster.

I just don't see them doing this now.

I hear ya, I think it's unlikely. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

For all he did for NOLA, he left them in a real sh*tty situation. 

15 seasons, 9 Playoff Years with 10+ wins, 6 years of 7-9 or 8-8/8-9 records, 1 Super Bowl Win.

Before Peyton, the Saints had a total of 6 winning seasons......for their entire existence, since 1967.

Payton changed that franchise completely, from a massive perennial joke, to a constant contender. 

If the cost of that is a 70 million cap hell hole, I'd say...worth it.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

15 seasons, 9 Playoff Years with 10+ wins, 6 years of 7-9 or 8-8/8-9 records, 1 Super Bowl Win.

Before Peyton, the Saints had a total of 6 winning seasons......for their entire existence, since 1967.

Payton changed that franchise completely, from a massive perennial joke, to a constant contender. 

If the cost of that is a 70 million cap hell hole, I'd say...worth it.

And they got screwed by the refs 2 yrs in a row or the record would have been even better. Nuts to Bills fans, boo hoo!

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

44 minutes ago, Jetlife33 said:

Payton was basically the GM. He had the most influence on personnel, I know Loomis is listed as the GM, but Payton has his fingerprints over everything over there. 

No way, a HC doesn't have any pull when it comes to a GM's pick lol...